Big box repair-is this wedge safe?

Mr SmoothMr Smooth Always been a robe guyMembers Posts: 14 ✭✭

Got a wedge reshafted. The length is a half inch shorter than requested and there is a gap near the Ferrell that concerns me. See pictures-Is the club head secure? How bad is this? Thanks

Driver: TEE xcg6 Matrix Speed Rulz A 53R
3 wood: TEE xcg6 Proforce v2 HL 6f3
7 wood: Razr Hawk nvs 65R
5 hybrid: TEE  xcg6 Tour Red 75R
6 iron - pw: Steelhead xr
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60): Cleveland rtx3 cb
Putter: RIFE Island Series Aruba

Comments

• sandtrapsandtrap Members Posts: 804 ✭✭

The ferrule creeping up is not an issue other than looks, you should have them do it over though

• scomac2002scomac2002 Inside the Starters' Hut Members Posts: 5,418 ✭✭

@sandtrap said:
    The ferrule creeping up is not an issue other than looks, you should have them do it over though

Without a doubt! I would not have accepted that from the tech. If he refused I would talk with the manager.

Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

Titleist 913 D2 12°
    Cobra Baffler Rail F 15.5°/20°
    TM '09 Rescue 25°
    TM Burner Plus 6-AW
    TM Z Spin 56°
    Rossa Tourismo 3 counterbalanced 37"
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,171 ClubWRX

That is terrible. Unacceptable by anyone's standards. Fixed right and refund any money paid.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    MCC Align Midsize
  • Mr SmoothMr Smooth Always been a robe guy Members Posts: 14 ✭✭

Thanks - The other 2 wedges worked on didn't have that gap so I guess I was curious. It was a parallel tip shaft exchange and he kept the ferrules on the shafts even though one of the shafts had to be tipped half an inch. Is that SOP? Thanks

• jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 494 ✭✭

@Mr Smooth said:
    Thanks - The other 2 wedges worked on didn't have that gap so I guess I was curious. It was a parallel tip shaft exchange and he kept the ferrules on the shafts even though one of the shafts had to be tipped half an inch. Is that SOP? Thanks

First off, that job is unacceptable.
    What exactly did you have done? Did he put a shaft from a different wedge into the existing head?

• Mr SmoothMr Smooth Always been a robe guy Members Posts: 14 ✭✭

@jvincent said:

@Mr Smooth said:

What exactly did you have done? Did he put a shaft from a different wedge into the existing head?

Thanks for the reply. The job was to take the parallel tip KBS shafts from the 8, 9, and pw of an iron set and insert them into 52, 56, 60 degree wedges that accept .370 tip shafts. I had him tip the 8 iron shaft half an inch before going into the 52. KBS trim chart indicated 9 and wedge tipped the same, so 9 iron shaft into 56 and pw shaft into 60, both butt cut only to length.

• LukulosLukulos ClubWRX Posts: 222 ✭✭

That needs to be redone. With a new ferrule as well.

TS3 8.5*/Veylix Wildeye Rome 688x
    Srixon F45 13*/Matrix red tie Ozik 80 XX
    Taylormade ICW11 1-iron/KBS C-taper 130x
    Adams Pro Black MB 4-PW/KBS C-taper 130x
    Mizuno MP series Raw Haze  51*,56*/Modus 130 s, Callaway Forged 60*/ s400
    Odyssey Protype Black #2
    Taylormade TP5
  • KRW59KRW59 Hoarder Members Posts: 827 ✭✭
    edited Mar 25, 2019 12:23am #9

Seeing that quality of work , I'd be questioning every aspect of the shaft swap, including...
    Proper cleaning , hosel and shaft tip prep to remove old epoxy to ensure proper bond ,insertion depth . the mixing of the epoxy , and any consideration of swingweight ....

This would apply to all the clubs you had reshafted , not just that one...

Post edited by KRW59 on
    Cobra King F9 10.5* / Fuji Speeder Evo IV  569-SR
    TEE EX10 Beta 16.5* / Fuji Platinum Speeder 5-SR
    TEE EX10 19* / Fuji Platinum Speeder 6-S
    TEE EX9 22* / Attas 4U 7-S.
    TEE EX9 25* / Attas 4U 7-X
    I have added about 10 grams of weight to all the fwy / hybrid
    shafts , using Sensicore inserts wrapped with lead tape.

Cobra Forged Tec Black / 28* 6 iron thru 49.5* GW / 4.5* gapping
    Recoil 780 Es Smac wrap F3 / GW shaft internally weighted to 95 grams

King Black Wedges / 54* versatile/ Recoil 95 F3 shaft weighted to 110 grams
    58* versatile / Recoil 110 F4 shaft weighted to 125 grams ( heat shrink tube )

Piretti Savona 2 Elite《Murdered》or 1/1 GSS High Toe Potenza II

Flask - Crown Black
  • EricWGolfEricWGolf Members Posts: 584 ✭✭

I don’t understand how anyone could think that is ok.

TaylorMade M6 - Tensei Pro Orange 60
    TaylorMade M4 3 Wood - KuroKage 70
    TaylorMade M4 3 Hybrid - KuroKage 80
    TaylorMade P790 4-PW - Nippon Modus 120
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 51
    TaylorMade HiToe 56/60 - Nippon Modus 120
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
  • 5hort5tuff5hort5tuff Members Posts: 3,286 ✭✭

Probably one of the worst reshafts ive ever seen lol. How could the tech even let that get into the customers hands. I would be embarrassed.

COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
    WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
    TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
    PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
    PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
    MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
    Xenon Copper Wide X
    SGC 902
  • jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 494 ✭✭

@Mr Smooth said:

@jvincent said:

@Mr Smooth said:

Thanks for the reply. The job was to take the parallel tip KBS shafts from the 8, 9, and pw of an iron set and insert them into 52, 56, 60 degree wedges that accept .370 tip shafts. I had him tip the 8 iron shaft half an inch before going into the 52. KBS trim chart indicated 9 and wedge tipped the same, so 9 iron shaft into 56 and pw shaft into 60, both butt cut only to length.

OK, I understand now.
    If it were me, I'd go somewhere else and have them pull and re-install the shafts with new ferrules. As others have said, don't trust anything about the current job.

• EddieEdwardsEddieEdwards Members Posts: 338 ✭✭

I would also wonder if the have been swingweighted.

• Adam CAdam C Members Posts: 237 ✭✭

I would get a full refund for that work, and definitely go elsewhere to redo it. That looked about as sloppy as you could get.

• daddy0neputtdaddy0neputt Members Posts: 60 ✭✭

@Adam C said:
    I would get a full refund for that work, and definitely go elsewhere to redo it. That looked about as sloppy as you could get.

I'd take em back have them pull the shafts (at no charge) , get my money back from the original job and then go anywhere but there! That's the most pathetic job I've ever seen. I wouldn't trust they even put the correct shafts in the correct wedge much less trimmed the amount you asked for.

• MychMych Members Posts: 1,779 ✭✭

The ferrule is ugly but that could just be cosmetic. The thing that concerns me is that the head doesn't look like it's on straight. Both pictures look like the hosel and shaft make an angle which definitely shouldn't be easily visible.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 10.5*~ F6 Baffler 4-5w ~ King Utility ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~  JPX Fli-Hi 3H ~  SeeMore FGP2
    6 club minimalist: Cobra King Utility ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ SeeMore FGP2 ~ Silo Club Carrier
    edited Mar 25, 2019 9:48pm #17

@Mr Smooth said:

It's not impossible to reuse the ferrule. If the head comes off clean without damaging it, sometimes it can be heated slightly and moved up the shaft (or even cut, moved, mended, and turned down), so you could theoretically tip the shaft and still use that ferrule. But looking at the gashes in the ferrule, there's no way that should have been reused.

Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 10.5*~ F6 Baffler 4-5w ~ King Utility ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~  JPX Fli-Hi 3H ~  SeeMore FGP2
    6 club minimalist: Cobra King Utility ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ SeeMore FGP2 ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • halliedoghalliedog Members Posts: 2,292 ✭✭

That looks more like head creep than ferrule creep to me, like the guy didn't clean old epoxy from pull or make a hole through butt end of grip/grip tape and the air pressure buildup forced the shaft to back out of the head. That would also explain the bend angle between shaft/head that Mych points out.

Either way, I'm pretty sure I could give a 5th grader step by step instructions over the phone and they would do a better job than that. I wouldn't trust any of them at this point.

WITB:
    Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
    Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
    TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
    TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
    TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Members Posts: 3,045 ✭✭

Definitely looks like Timmy's first re-shaft, LOL.

My first attempt--which involved my own club--was kind of hacky but it was better than that!

Driver: TaylorMade M3 (10.5)
    Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Black (16.5)
    Hybrid: Adams Pro Black 9031 (20 / 23)
    Irons: Titleist 716 CB (5-Pw)
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 52 (F) / 56 (F) / 60 (S)
    Putter: Nike Method Milled 003
  • Awainer1Awainer1 Members Posts: 849 ✭✭

That is some high quality club repair right there

• gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,101 ✭✭

there's no way that's professional. that takes some serious oevuos to give back to the customer like that -- and should be fired from the club building department. turrible.

• That Bob GuyThat Bob Guy Never settle! Members Posts: 2,566 ClubWRX

@Mr Smooth said:
    Got a wedge reshafted. The length is a half inch shorter than requested and there is a gap near the Ferrell that concerns me. See pictures-Is the club head secure? How bad is this? Thanks

This is a joke!

• The head looks crooked and the work is terrible. As some other people have mentioned, return it and have them make it right. No way in the world I could stand to look at that every time I pulled that club. I've seen better work from guys on a 3 day bender.

• MrFlapjackMrFlapjack Members Posts: 2,589 ✭✭

Holy F that is terrible..

Cobra LTD Pro HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
    Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
    Srixon Z U45 18, 20, 23 () (Testing Cobra F8 and Ping G 3 hybrids)
    Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff) (Testing Cleveland CBX 7-PW, and Nike Vapor Fly 4-6 irons)
    RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff) (Testing Cleveland CBX wedges 48, 52, 56 bent to 50, 54, 58)
    YES Milly - 100gm TLP. (Testing Ping Ketsch Mid)
    edited Mar 27, 2019 6:37pm #25

@buckrogers71 said:
    The head looks crooked and the work is terrible. As some other people have mentioned, return it and have them make it right. No way in the world I could stand to look at that every time I pulled that club. I've seen better work from guys on a 3 day bender.

That would not be my advice. I wouldn't go back to them and have them make it right. I'd ask for a refund and find another place to get my work done (or order a pack of ferrules, sandpaper, torch, and epoxy... this is literally a 5 minute DIY job).