You will never be a complete golfer until you play with blades

LambLamb LondonPosts: 300 ✭✭

I don't understand how people can take up the game and never play or try blades.The sad thing is most people who have never played with blades were put off by many who told them blades are difficult and one would get punished if you miss hit a shot. Who are cares? Go out there play them, stop letting others peoples short comings or negativity hold you back. This does not only apply to golf but life as a whole. Negativity hold people back.

Blades are the path to real golf enlightenment. And it is true nothing will ever beat the feeling of a well struck blade.

Comments

• SuperBombinSuperBombin Members Posts: 152 ✭✭

I avoided them for most of my golfing life bc the perception of blades are for pros only. I demoed all 5 blades from other companies and I hit them all well with barely any lost in yardage from mishits. Going to get fitted for a set in a couple weeks. I’m eyeing the 718 mb as it’s the best look at address for me.

But I agree everyone needs to sack up and give it a shot.

• gbartkogbartko Whooooo! Members Posts: 638 ✭✭
    edited Mar 24, 2019 7:26pm #4

Ping Rapture 12.5
    TEE CB4 Tour 16.5
    Ping G 19/22
    Ping i E1 5-U
    Ping Glide ES 54.5/60
    Ping iN Half Wack-e

• BearQBearQ Break 2 Rebuild Members Posts: 3,260 ✭✭
    edited Mar 24, 2019 8:20pm #5

Before people come flame you. You’re not entirely correct. However I do believe I am a better player cause I started with inferior or hard to hit equipment. Not a perfect ratio though. players who start with blades will of course find it easier when they switch to something forgiving.

Many blades now have longer blades lengths and tungsten too. Very few on tour will play an absolute true blade 3-P. Perhaps the point of starting with blades has merit but that’s about it

Post edited by BearQ on
    LTD Pro (9.5*) - Matrix Type C Prototype 70X
    M2 Tour (15*)  or  (16.5*) - Black Tie 80M4-X  
    P790 UDI #2 (18*)  / TP UDI #3 (19*) - Black Tie HM4 105X  or  Bridgestone XD-H (18*) - Speeder TS 9.8X
    Srixon Z945 (4-P) - Nippon SPB X
    Cobra MB (50*) Nike VR Forged (56*) Cleveland RTX 2 (60.08W)
    Spider Tour Black 

• caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,659 ✭✭

How about wood woods?

• Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,156 ✭✭

Trollol

• C-radC-rad Members Posts: 2,585 ✭✭

it is the first time i write a post on a blade forum.
    For me, i have difficulty finding a set of blade at a reasonable price without the standard DGs300. if i could find something like the mp5 or the s55 with a good shaft, in very to excellent condition, i might take a bite

Titleist 915 d2
    Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

project x L.Z 5.5:
    Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
    Nike engage 52 square,
    56 toe sweep
    60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag
  • ChazbChazb Posts: 911 ✭✭

Blades cavity back so what there both golf clubs.As someone posted everyone played blades up to the 70s before cavity backs because that’s all there was.
    Plenty of pros played the ping eye 2 when they came out and there are plenty of pros who play cavity backs now.
    It’s whatever works for you.

• Do you also feel this way about persimmon woods and 8802/Bullseye putters? If not, why not?

• nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,312 ✭✭

@Lamb said:
    I don't understand how people can take up the game and never play or try blades.The sad thing is most people who have never played with blades were put off by many who told them blades are difficult and one would get punished if you miss hit a shot. Who are cares? Go out there play them, stop letting others peoples short comings or negativity hold you back. This does not only apply to golf but life as a whole. Negativity hold people back.

Blades are the path to real golf enlightenment. And it is true nothing will ever beat the feeling of a well struck blade.

ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
    Titleist AVX
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,182 ✭✭

Stop letting the negativity of others affect you.....Instead let me tell you what you must do!
    LOL , OK
    Man i should get blades. Enlightenment sounds truly fantastic, because i'm already so awesome and have never played them

Ping G400 Max 9 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,169 ✭✭

@Lamb said:
    I don't understand how people can take up the game and never play or try blades. ... Go out there play them, stop letting others peoples short comings or negativity hold you back. This does not only apply to golf but life as a whole. **Negativity hold people back. **

Back in the previous century, I played MacGregor MT irons - Everyone played blades, that's all we had pre-Karsten. In years I could play a lot, I shot in the 80s. In other years, it was the 90s and the blades were hard to handle. Fast forward: The last couple of years, I have run into former small-college golfers who once played blades but now play CBs. They don't have time to keep their game in "blade ready" shape - same problem I had years ago.

**Negativity holds people back. ** Uh, how about realizing one's limitations. A few years back I tried the the Callaway X Forged irons - couldn't hardly get the shots airborne. I also tried the cavity-back X20 Tours, and the ball flew fine (I played them for eight seasons). Having high clubhead speed is a prerequisite for hitting blades well. Advice from veteran teaching pro: get clubs for the swing you have, not the one you hope to have next year.

And, these golfers don't do blades:

• Matt Kuchar played Bridgestone J15 CB (5-PW) when he won Sony Open.
    • Brandt Snedeker played Bridgestone J15 CB (4-9) when he won the Wyndham.
    • Henrik Stenson still plays his custom set of of Callaway Legacy Black irons (muscle cavities).
    • Ian Poulter played the Titleist 718 AP2 when he won the Houston Open.

If someone wants to use a muscleback 4i as an occasional practice club, go for it. But blades are NOT what most players need.

What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 95 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10 / KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • LodestoneLodestone Posts: 3,154 ✭✭

@Petunia Sprinkle said:
    Featheries, on sheep munched fairways? Aye, laddies, that’s the golf!

Nay, is not the golf! Is the gowfe!

FORE RIGHT!!!!
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,172 ✭✭

The biggest thing I find from playing blades is that hitting the ball thin makes my shots 100% unpredictable. I can end up hitting a 7i 180 instead of 165 because I got it skinny and my spin goes to 4000. Did this last week when I got a 9i skinny from about 130 that I meant to hit softly and ended up 10 yards behind the green. Had a horrible lie and made bogey. With something a little more forgiving and more meat behind those grooves, probably wouldn't have had that happen... maybe.

WITB
    DRIVER MIA
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge (Hi Toe 58 KBS Wedge in test)
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• IamMarkMacIamMarkMac SF Bay AreaPosts: 583 ✭✭

Meh. I have blades and hitting them sweet is awesome. But shooting low and winning matches is better. I only ever bring the blades out when the games are for fun and on low hazard courses. Otherwise, when I inevitably make a bad swing, I'll always wonder if I would've gotten away with it with my GI clubs.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
    Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
    Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
    Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
    Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
    Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • kiw1982kiw1982 Members Posts: 1,173 ✭✭

wow.. really!?!?
    Just wow.

Mizuno        ST-180 Driver w/KuroKage HBP 50 S+
    Taylormade  M6 3 Wood w/NV 2KXV Blue 75 S+
    Mizuno        CLK 3 Hybrid w/Tensei CK Blue HY 80 S+(P790 UDI is sitting on the bench)
    Taylormade  P790 4-G Irons w/KBS tour S+
    Mizuno        T7 56/10 Wedge w/KBS tour S+
    Mizuno        S18 60/06 Wedge w/KBS tour S+
    Odyssey      O-Works 1WS Putter
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,171 ClubWRX

Clearly the path to being a complete A-wad is to start threads like these.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    MCC Align Midsize
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,174 ✭✭

I predict this thread will go 25 pages, with no agreement from either side on this debate.
    By the way, I have a hickory set of blades (Tad Moore Victor irons - a reproduction of clubs that Bobby Jones designed with J. Victor East in 1929). I play them from time to time. They work for me because the shafts are heavy. I don't hit them as far as modern clubs, but I hit them straight (because of the heavy shafts).

Instead of blades, I prefer the advice: play the most forgiving club that you can look at. The older i get, the uglier they get.

On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,040 ✭✭

@MtlJeff said:
    Stop letting the negativity of others affect you.....Instead let me tell you what you must do!
    LOL , OK
    Man i should get blades. Enlightenment sounds truly fantastic, because i'm already so awesome and have never played them

Hefe Jeff. You’d be so boss I’m not sure we could handle it.

TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • mukstermukster Is this the year? North of the 49thMembers Posts: 3,477 ✭✭

The effects of the long winter continues to get to some. This, combined with the babelism currently encountered on this forum may reach mass critical. May the golf gods be with us all.

Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic Subzero 13.5, Mitsubishi Fubuki Z 65
    Mizuno ST180 5 wood, Tensei Blue shaft
    Nickent 3D 3 hybrid, generic shaft
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons, KBS Tour V shafts
    Cleveland CBX 50* wedge
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • TheGoochTheGooch Members Posts: 86 ✭✭

Cobra F8 9*
    Callaway Rogue 3-Wood 15*
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20*
    Callaway Apex CF16 5-7-9-GW
    Ping Glide 58SS
    Tommy Armour Impact #3
  • jshuffjshuff Members Posts: 100 ✭✭

I’ve played 8-PW Mizuno M-4’s recently and just scored 4-AW of Callaway Apex MB raw heads. Here’s to jumping in feet first with blades!

• LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,085 ✭✭

Man I dunno about this...
    My z785 feel as good or better than any blade I've played. So do some cavity back Muiras. Shaft has a lot to do with feel, but I would play my z785 over any blade out there at the moment.

PING G410 9* PX Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    PING G410 LST 3w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 5w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 4-PW AWT 2 0 stiff
    PING Stealth Glide 2.0 50ss/54ss/58ss
    PING Sigam G Tyne
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,663 ✭✭

IMO, each player should try a blade, shovel, cb, etc....

How do you know what you like otherwise?

Most won't want a true bladed iron. With good reason.

• duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 8,961 ✭✭
    edited Mar 25, 2019 4:09am #29

Another new site complaint: no beating a dead horse smilie anymore.

• DBurnsDBurns Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

Hogwash. But, nothing more beautiful to look at. Walter Hagen Forged in USA musclebacks and KZG Forged blades currently in the rotation.

• greenwavegolfergreenwavegolfer Members Posts: 120 ✭✭

There's a ton of Tour players who don't play blades. Are they not complete golfers?

WITB:

Ping G400 LST 10º (Playing 9º) Project X EvenFlow Black 6.0
    Callaway Rogue SZ 3W (15º) Project X EvenFlow Blue 6.0
    Srixon Z-785 3i/4i Nippon Modus Tour 120X
    Srixon Z-Forged 5i-PW Nippon Modus Tour 120X
    Titleist SM5 50º SM6 54º, 58º Dynamic Gold S200
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
This discussion has been closed.