Lighter shaft

How do you get used to going from a dynamic gold stiff shaft to a 90 gram uniflex shaft? I’m having trouble with consistency when I make the switch.

Nike Covert 2.0 Driver
Nike Vapor Flex 3 wood
Nike Vapor Pro 3-PW
Titliest 913 H
Cleveland Classic 4.5 Putter
Taylormade RAC TP- 52, 56, 60

Comments

• ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,169 ✭✭

DG S300 weighs 130 grams while the Uniflex weighs 90 grams. The Uniflex only weighs 70% as much as the DG.

Club designer Tom Wishon cautions that golfers who switch to a lighter shaft often go too light the first time. Seems like you are one of them. And if you reshafted your old iron set, this would make the swingweight about 4.5 points lighter.

Overall, the combined extreme lightness could make it difficult for you to feel when the club reaches the top, and cause you to overswing.

Help us understand: why did you make such a big change?

What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 95 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10 / KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • greenwavegolfergreenwavegolfer Members Posts: 120 ✭✭

Were you fit for the new shaft (I'm gonna guess no because I don't know a fitter who has a "uniflex" shaft in their stock)? If so, give it some time and you'll get used to it eventually, it may take a handful of rounds (this is fairly normal with any major equipment change, not just moving to a lighter shaft). Otherwise I'd say maybe it's just not a good fit. If you're a decent golfer you'll probably adapt but maybe it's a sign to figure out what works best for you and maybe you'll have better luck.

WITB:

Ping G400 LST 10º (Playing 9º) Project X EvenFlow Black 6.0
    Callaway Rogue SZ 3W (15º) Project X EvenFlow Blue 6.0
    Srixon Z-785 3i/4i Nippon Modus Tour 120X
    Srixon Z-Forged 5i-PW Nippon Modus Tour 120X
    Titleist SM5 50º SM6 54º, 58º Dynamic Gold S200
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,879 ✭✭
    edited Mar 25, 2019 7:45am #4

@chrismikayla said:
    How do you get used to going from a dynamic gold stiff shaft to a 90 gram uniflex shaft? I’m having trouble with consistency when I make the switch.

Then why did you make the switch? The lack of consistency is a pretty good indication that the lighter and/or softer shafts are not a good fit for you. Now whether the problem is the weight or the flex (or both) is impossible to say.

But to answer your question, there is no telling how long it might take to adjust or if you can adjust at all. Everyone's different. Some might take a few buckets at the range. Some might take a year or more and still not be able to adjust. e.g. I personally wasted 2 years trying to "get used to" a shaft I was told "should be a good fit" and never could get used to it. Now I know better than to even try.

• chrismikaylachrismikayla Posts: 1,015 ✭✭

@ChipNRun said:
    DG S300 weighs 130 grams while the Uniflex weighs 90 grams. The Uniflex only weighs 70% as much as the DG.

Club designer Tom Wishon cautions that golfers who switch to a lighter shaft often go too light the first time. Seems like you are one of them. And if you reshafted your old iron set, this would make the swingweight about 4.5 points lighter.

Overall, the combined extreme lightness could make it difficult for you to feel when the club reaches the top, and cause you to overswing.

Help us understand: why did you make such a big change?

Hey thanks for asking. I don't play as much as I used to and thought I needed more forgiveness. Unfortunately unless you get them custom ordered most SGI irons have these lightweight shafts these days.

Nike Covert 2.0 Driver
    Nike Vapor Flex 3 wood
    Nike Vapor Pro 3-PW
    Titliest 913 H

• chrismikaylachrismikayla Posts: 1,015 ✭✭

@Stuart G. said:

@chrismikayla said:

Then why did you make the switch? The lack of consistency is a pretty good indication that the lighter and/or softer shafts are not a good fit for you. Now whether the problem is the weight or the flex (or both) is impossible to say.

But to answer your question, there is no telling how long it might take to adjust or if you can adjust at all. Everyone's different. Some might take a few buckets at the range. Some might take a year or more and still not be able to adjust. e.g. I personally wasted 2 years trying to "get used to" a shaft I was told "should be a good fit" and never could get used to it. Now I know better than to even try.

I don't play as much now and needed more forgiveness.

Nike Covert 2.0 Driver
    Nike Vapor Flex 3 wood
    Nike Vapor Pro 3-PW
    Titliest 913 H

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,879 ✭✭

@chrismikayla said:
    I don't play as much now and needed more forgiveness.

As your experiences are showing you now, neither lighter nor softer in a shaft has anything to do with being more forgiving. - hindsight is always 20/20 isn't it :-)

In fact, "forgiving" or not isn't typically associated with the various shaft characteristics. Lighter may give some people a bit extra club head speed (but not everyone, so don't assume it will) but it's frequently a balanced trade-off with accuracy and consistency. Heavier may help smooth out inconsistent transitions (or may not). But other than that, there are no really useful generalizations about how the different characteristics can make the club more forgiving or not. Instead it's really about finding a good match for your sense of rhythm and tempo and feel. Good fits and matches work well and help with consistency, bad fits hurt. And "too light" can result in a bad match just as much as too heavy.

• TommyjTommyj Members Posts: 335 ✭✭

As others have mentioned, that may be too drastic a change and you don't need to go that low. I worked my way down from 130g shafts to a shaft weight of 110g, I start losing feel if I go much below that.

• IamMarkMacIamMarkMac SF Bay AreaPosts: 583 ✭✭

@chrismikayla said:

I did this a couple of years after my first kid was born. The uniflex was in a set of Callaways that my dad lent me.

What I remember about that time is that I didn't use my normal swing. Essentially, the club and shaft dictated the tempo and ultimately the speed with which I swung. If I couldn't feel the head, I had to lay off the speed.
    So in short, I remember kind of bunting the ball around the course as I could never swing full on. It was fine then because I was still heavy into baby care but eventually I got a set together.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
    Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
    Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
    Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
    Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
    Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2