Need to tip a driver shaft. What exactly do I do/ use?

kody17kody17 Members Posts: 746 ✭✭

Need to tip the shaft 1/2". Is using a chop saw fine? I use it for all my steel shafts and it works great. For the graphite shaft, if I use the chop saw, would putting electrical tape around the tip help it from splintering? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Titleist 910 D2 10.5* w/ Motore Speeder VC 6.2 TS X
Adams Tight Lies 16* w/ Aldila Rogue I/O Stiff
Srixon U85 18* w/ UST Recoil 95 X
Srixon z545 4-PW w/ DG X100
Cleveland RTX 3 50* & 58* w/ DG X100
Odyssey Metal X Milled 1W

Comments

• bradskibradski Members Posts: 2,319 ✭✭

It depends on the blade. You want something with really fine teeth. I like the cutoff disks for demels for tips as they seem to not splinter.

• halliedoghalliedog Members Posts: 2,296 ✭✭

Like bradski, I use Dremel cutoff wheel, although I usually do also wrap the area with masking tape to reduce splintering even more. I have cut some without the tape and not had an issue, but figure why not use it to make sure.

WITB:
    Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
    Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
    TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
    TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
    TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank
  • coreyhrcoreyhr Lafferty, Daniel Members Posts: 414 ✭✭

You want to buy an abrasive cut off wheel for your chop saw. Stay away from any wheel that has teeth all together. See link for the type of wheel you want to buy. Obviously there are different sizes depending on the size of your saw.

https://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-5-14-inch-cut-off-wheels-for-metal-44814.html

Callaway Epic TC...L  9* - Tour AD TP 6s 
    Callaway XR Pro TC 14* - Diamana D+ Limited 80s
    Callaway XR Pro TC 18* Hybrid - Tour AD DI 95x
    Srixon Z545 4 Iron - Steelfiber i110s
    Srixon Z745 5-PW - KBS Tour 120s
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50*
    Scratch 56* & 60* - Black KBS Tour Custom
    Odyssey O-Works Red V-Line Fang CH

The sea was angry that day, my friends.
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,173 ✭✭

I use a metal cut off disk. Masking tape wrapped around the cut spot.

WITB
    DRIVER MIA
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge (Hi Toe 58 KBS Wedge in test)
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• Adam CAdam C Members Posts: 242 ✭✭

As others have said, nothing with teeth should be used. Any abrasive cut off blade should work fine. Don't use electrical tape, just a single layer of masking tape.

• wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 3,800 ✭✭

Wear a mask to keep out the dust from graphite...…. your lung will thank you.

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,923 ✭✭
    edited Mar 26, 2019 8:42am #8

@Adam C said:
    As others have said, nothing with teeth should be used. Any abrasive cut off blade should work fine. Don't use electrical tape, just a single layer of masking tape.

I agree that the abrasive wheels are very good to use and likely the safest for those new to cutting graphite - but teethed blades are not really problematic if used properly. I frequently use a 10 tpi blade on my band saw to cut graphite - both tip and butt side. And don't even need the tape. (I wouldn't recommend it with a new blade though - can dull them quickly). Hack saws work fine as well. Main consideration is not to rush the job, light pressure is the way to go.