Range Finders on Tour

LodestoneLodestone Members Posts: 3,160 ✭✭

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I don't remember having seen it. It seems to me that it would pose no great insult to the integrity of the game to let the pros use rangefinders during tournament play. I'm pretty sure they know where they are, and if they are unsure they take enough time to become sure, by pacing it off, or having the caddy pace it off. Why not just let them use a rangefinder, and save some time, since pace-of-play is such an issue?

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Comments

• wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 830 ✭✭

@Lodestone said:
    I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I don't remember having seen it. It seems to me that it would pose no great insult to the integrity of the game to let the pros use rangefinders during tournament play. I'm pretty sure they know where they are, and if they are unsure they take enough time to become sure, by pacing it off, or having the caddy pace it off. Why not just let them use a rangefinder, and save some time, since pace-of-play is such an issue?

Because people like Bryson would bring out 6 range finders (one of each major mfg'er) and acquire and average the distances.

• FlyingLaw1FlyingLaw1 Members Posts: 779 ✭✭

I'm really in favor of them using rangefinders. If everyone has them... It's not an advantage for anyone and I'd think it would cut quite a bit of time off a round.

Additionally, I was reading/listening somewhere a while back that the caddies are so good they are pretty much spot on with the yardages as it is.

GO DAWGS
  • 3jacker3jacker Members Posts: 1,000 ✭✭

Sounds reasonable. Though I wonder if they'll figure out a way to make it take longer. Like wildcatden's scenario above. Sounds silly but then think about aimpoint and plumb bobbing and all that nonsense...

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
    TM V-Steel 4wd Protopype 80X
    Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
    Callaway Apex MB 4-PW KBS C-Taper X
    Cleveland 52*/58* CG10 KBS C-Taper X
    Sizemore XB-1
  • LodestoneLodestone Members Posts: 3,160 ✭✭

@wildcatden said:

@Lodestone said:

Because people like Bryson would bring out 6 range finders (one of each major mfg'er) and acquire and average the distances.

yes, but faster than pacing it off 6 times and taking the average.

FORE RIGHT!!!!
  • ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,300 ✭✭

Yes it's been discussed quite a few times. And the answer is usually that it would not really sure up pace of play. The pros don't want just the number to the pin. They want to the front edge, to the back edge, to the backstop ridge in the green, to the sideboard ridge in the green....... And so on.

WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • LodestoneLodestone Members Posts: 3,160 ✭✭

@Shilgy said:
    Yes it's been discussed quite a few times. And the answer is usually that it would not really sure up pace of play. The pros don't want just the number to the pin. They want to the front edge, to the back edge, to the backstop ridge in the green, to the sideboard ridge in the green....... And so on.

Don't they have the pin placements , green dimensions, paces onto the green, etc on a sheet, or in a book? Those things don't change with wherever they hit the ball. But you are probably right, in addition to the actual number of yards, I'm sure they feel they get valuable mental insight with regards to "touch" when they actually pace it off and see the terrain. Along the same lines of why a blind shot over a hill is tough, even if you "know" it's an exact distance, compared to the same shot when you can actually see the landing area.
    Good point.

FORE RIGHT!!!!
  • JaNelson38JaNelson38 Members Posts: 2,623 ✭✭

@Lodestone said:

@Shilgy said:

Don't they have the pin placements , green dimensions, paces onto the green, etc on a sheet, or in a book? Those things don't change with wherever they hit the ball. But you are probably right, in addition to the actual number of yards, I'm sure they feel they get valuable mental insight with regards to "touch" when they actually pace it off and see the terrain. Along the same lines of why a blind shot over a hill is tough, even if you "know" it's an exact distance, compared to the same shot when you can actually see the landing area.
    Good point.

Yeah, believe it or not, pro's rarely go totally flag hunting unless they have a wedge in their hand or they are shooting toward a flag that absolutely fits their eye/shot shape and hits their number on the nuts. Otherwise they're usually aiming for a spot on the green to putt from where it gives them the best chance to make birdie or two-putt for par and move on....greens on Tour are usually so hard and so fast and the pins on many greens are protected in a way where that is really all they can do. And that doesnt take into account the calculations they make for wind, weather, uphill/downhill, etc.

If anything, rangefinders for a tour pro during a round could actually SLOW play, not make it faster. You'd have pro's lasering landing spots from the tee box, or lay-up spots on a par-5, etc. And they would still consult a yardage book, talk to their caddie, and do all the pre-shot routine stuff they do right now.

• clichecliche Members Posts: 758 ✭✭

they get the distances pretty quick anyway. put it takes them a lot of time for reading the green over some short putts

• freeze16172002freeze16172002 Members Posts: 68 ✭✭

I really dont want the game/rules to change. Just leave the tour game alone it is fine, get rid of the new rules changes also. Rangefinders and leaving the pin in etc are fine for amateurs, but not for pros. Their is a tradition that shouldnt be stepped on

• 3jacker3jacker Members Posts: 1,000 ✭✭

When Johnny Miller was at his peak, he says he controlled his irons to half a yard. Imagine would he could have accomplished had he had a laser rangefinder.

On the other hand, Johnny's full of ****.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
    TM V-Steel 4wd Protopype 80X
    Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
    Callaway Apex MB 4-PW KBS C-Taper X
    Cleveland 52*/58* CG10 KBS C-Taper X
    Sizemore XB-1
  • Anchor44Anchor44 Members Posts: 898 ✭✭

I used a rangefinder for years then I discovered that a GPS WATCH is ABOUT 10 times faster.

• c7015c7015 Members Posts: 2,078 ✭✭

@Anchor44 said:
    I used a rangefinder for years then I discovered that a GPS WATCH is ABOUT 10 times faster.

with no tradeoffs...

915 D3 Rip Phenom 70g (S Flex)
    913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
    915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
    712 U 4 Iron | 714 AP2 5 Iron
    714cb 6-PW
    Vokey 52, 56, 60
    SC Newport 2.5
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,197 ✭✭

@3jacker said:
    When Johnny Miller was at his peak, he says he controlled his irons to half a yard. Imagine would he could have accomplished had he had a laser rangefinder.

@3jacker said:

Greg Norman said the same thing - that he was good to half a yard. Maybe he too was full of....

On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • charlesrogerscharlesrogers ScotlandMembers Posts: 8 ✭✭

I think range finders are perfect and would help so much as then caddies it would make their job easier and speed up play i also would like to see green reading books scrapped and the return of the balata ball on tour but thats a different discussion.

• tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,493 ✭✭

"the more money you make, the more you spend" ... the more tech you have, the more time you take to use it ... jb holmes with a rangefinder would try to narrow down a shot to between .5 and .75 yards ...

• oiler45oiler45 Members Posts: 250 ✭✭

It is a little silly that they can use range finders to make their yardage books but they can't use them during competition.
    I predict the rule will change shortly ...

• farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,784 ✭✭

Make the lazy, sniveling pros play by amateur rules. Yardages only in general to the front, middle and back of greens. No pin sheets, half-assed conditioning, play behind groups of drunken bachelor parties, balls in 15 packs from Walmart, no rules officials, now we're talking golf. Well, OK, maybe not, although sometimes the bachelor parties have amusing cart accidents.

• OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Members Posts: 2,084 ClubWRX

Justin Rose made one of the best cases not against the use of rangefinders but against the idea it would speed up play on the PGA Tour. He argued that it wouldn't speed up play because when PGA Tour players are assessing their shot they don't just get a yardage to the hole they do various different yardages then make a judgement depending on all the various factors.

When I heard Rose's comments I completely agreed with his argument, the scale of information players now have at their disposal during the round clearly impacts on the pace of play and a rangefinder wouldn't speed up play.

I guess a rangefinder would be useful in the instance where a player has hit it way offline and the caddy would normally pace it out manually.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Titleist Pro V 1x
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,309 ✭✭

I'd be in favor of pro's using rangefinders if they replaced yardage books. If not, then it's just going to slow the game down even more.

Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,197 ✭✭

@new2g0lf said:
    I'd be in favor of pro's using rangefinders if they replaced yardage books. If not, then it's just going to slow the game down even more.

I like that. And no green reading books. Take all the books out of the game.

On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members Posts: 1,220 ✭✭

**** I couldn't care less if they used the Hubble telescope to have the yardages pop up on their phones...

I just wanna see the shot don't care bout all the flim flam around it. Maybe caddy getting yardages used to be something people cared about as part of the game....but we ams don't care about that in our games as long as we get the yardage from laser or carts so its not even on radar for something to care bout....

G30 LS
    M2 BMW
    XR 4 Hybrid
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros
    Cleveland Blob
    Square Strike
    SeeMore Butts