Last time you swung a golf club in earnest?

Late March and our club closed November 4th, 2018....
Haven't picked up or swung a club since. Good news is that while still cold, temps above freezing and snow slowly disappearing.
Hoping only 3 more weeks.

Are you able to put the clubs away at the end of the season and hibernate five+ months?

Comments

• third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,405 ✭✭

Played 18 holes 3 of the last 3 days...
    What is a 'golf season'?

Long Live Nike
  • MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members Posts: 1,582 ✭✭

Went to the range Saturday, going again tomorrow playing on Wednesday.

Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Speedline Super LS
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Adams XTD 4-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player Members Posts: 1,302 ✭✭

Mmmm. A year. Hoping to change that. Soon!

• Crazy_BikerdudeCrazy_Bikerdude Members Posts: 21 ✭✭

Full swing? December. Otherwise chip shots almost every day in the basement. I am deadly accurate from 4 feet now.

• lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,166 ✭✭

@third-times-a-charm said:
    What is a 'golf season'?

How many times do you play on Sunday at 1 p.m. June-September though? :)

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G25 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • HatsForBatsHatsForBats Members Posts: 1,481 ✭✭

@Under2hours said:
    Are you able to put the clubs away at the end of the season and hibernate five+ months?

No, I found I was miserable while doing that. So now I have expanded what I determine to be acceptable playing weather and added a simulator for indoor use during the worst days. In the North East I usually get at least a few rounds outdoors every month of the year. Some years I may need to drive to make that happen but am willing to do so for the sake of my sanity.

• FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,434 ✭✭

Played 2x last week.

• third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,405 ✭✭

@lawsonman said:

@third-times-a-charm said:
    What is a 'golf season'?

How many times do you play on Sunday at 1 p.m. June-September though? :)

Thats my favorite time of year since all the old people melt in the sun and they can't play past lunch time!
    I normally play at least twice a week either 9/18 holes after 1PM June-Sept

Long Live Nike
  • FlyingLaw1FlyingLaw1 Members Posts: 775 ✭✭

I went October to about 2 weeks ago without even touching my clubs. Had a minor injury that kept me off the course in the fall and the winter here was terrible. Not snowy... But cold and lots of rain. It has finally warmed up enough to start getting some play/practice in. Boy am I rusty!!

When I was in Grad school I basically didn't play for 4 years. I'd go out and play a few times a year but I didn't have time for much else.... That was terrible.

GO DAWGS
  • bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers Posts: 4,303 ✭✭

Man I’m glad we don’t have a golf season here. If I had to hang it up for months on end every year, I’d just find another hobby. Last time I hung em up for 3 months (back surgery), I went from a 3 index to almost a year before I could break 90. If I had to do that every year, I wouldn’t do it.

As to the 1pm June through September, I love the heat. Summer is my favorite time of the year. It helps my back, and I get cold fast. If it’s 65 out, I’m usually wearing pants and a sweater of some kind. My hands get cold to the point of aching when it gets to about 60, so I’d take my 100+ degree summer afternoon rounds year round if I could.

• buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 5,363 ✭✭

Early October. Literally didn't touch a club until a week ago and that was just in moving around inventory at my house. I did get to chip and putting yesterday which was nice and relaxing.

• jwhite86jwhite86 ClubWRX Posts: 428 ClubWRX

Sometime in October while testing my TS3... it feels like a lot longer

WITB
    Driver: TS3 9.5 - 757
    3 Wood: 915 F 16.5 - Blueboard
    Hybrids: 816 H1 21 & 25 - Blueboard
    Irons 6-PW: 765 - PX LZ
    Wedges: Engage 52, 56, 60
    Putter: Newport Mil-Spec

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1651462-jwhite86-witb/
  • MychMych Members Posts: 1,779 ✭✭

No off season here. Houston had a lot of rain for the last few months so we couldn't play as much as usual, but we're back to our normal weekly routine now.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 10.5*~ F6 Baffler 4-5w ~ King Utility ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~  JPX Fli-Hi 3H ~  SeeMore FGP2
    6 club minimalist: Cobra King Utility ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ SeeMore FGP2 ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers Posts: 4,303 ✭✭

I missed most of the rainy period in Houston this year. I spent most of mid October through early March offshore, with a few weeks at home here and there (I think I literally spent less than 6 weeks at home during g that time, but managed to play every time I got home, even though it was soggy).

• NJpatbeeNJpatbee Posts: 1,485 ✭✭

I went to the range yesterday after not hitting a ball since last November. Started out very ugly and finished less ugly.

• deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,615 ClubWRX

@bigred90gt said:
    Man I’m glad we don’t have a golf season here. If I had to hang it up for months on end every year, I’d just find another hobby. Last time I hung em up for 3 months (back surgery), I went from a 3 index to almost a year before I could break 90. If I had to do that every year, I wouldn’t do it.

As to the 1pm June through September, I love the heat. Summer is my favorite time of the year. It helps my back, and I get cold fast. If it’s 65 out, I’m usually wearing pants and a sweater of some kind. My hands get cold to the point of aching when it gets to about 60, so I’d take my 100+ degree summer afternoon rounds year round if I could.

I’m like you BigRed. I don’t go without a pullover of some sort until it’s above 75*. I loved summer time in Phoenix. So loose and easy to swing.

Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,056 ✭✭

Myrtle Beach about 2 weeks ago. 55 degrees. Still warmer at the time from Northern VA, where it was 25 degrees when we pulled up chocks to leave. Even broke 100 twice, on a broken pinkie toe, thank you very much! :smile:

**Bag Construction in Progress**
    Mizuno ST190 G 9.5 (Lofted to 10)
    Mizuno ST190 3TS
    Mizuno CLK 2 Hybrid
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 4 Iron Replacement
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal (5-PW)
    Mizuno S18 Wedges - Blue Ion (50-7, 54-12, 58-16, 62-8)
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,166 ✭✭

It's been since the last of October since I've played a round. I am getting real antsy to play but I do enjoy the time off. Generally it takes me a couple weeks to get back in the groove.

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G25 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • whiteout73whiteout73 Members Posts: 1,018 ✭✭

Dang, I feel sorry for you guys. I've played the last 10 days in a row (after work today will make 11), and probably like 14 of the last 16.

D - Ping G400 10-degree SFT, Diamana ka'li 70S
    3W - Tour Issue TM RBZ Tour TP 14.5, Diamana kai'li 70S
    Hy - TaylorMade 2009 Rescue TP 19, Aldila RIP 85S
    4-W - Ping i25, Ping TFC 189i graphite stiff
    UW - Ping i25, Ping CFS
    54 and 60 - Bettinardi H2 Cashmere
    P - Bettinardi BB28 Raw Limited
  • ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Members Posts: 716 ✭✭

Ohio weather is finally tolerable, so I crawled out of hibernation last week. Found my swing is suffering in the speed dept.
    Either I get the speed back or I'm switching to graphite iron shafts this year.
    At age 40, it was bi-focals. Age 58, it was E.D. At 65, it's going to be graphite iron shafts. What next?

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S)
    Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R)
    Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R)
    Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R)
    Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R)
    Ping Darby Sigma G

• @_the_crook@_the_crook Members Posts: 609 ✭✭

last year we played Thanksgiving weekend. course closed shortly after. other than a couple of practice swings it wasn't til last Sunday morning when I hit the range at dawn for a warm up and played a full round. cloudy and cool day to start the season.

currently playing:
    Steelhead III , FT-5 - D
    Warbirds, 3+, 4
    Hogan BH-5, 3-PW
    Wilson DynaPowered SW
    Ping Anser
    it works

when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from .
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members Posts: 893 ✭✭

Played the least I have played in years during 2018. Then this winter was harsh for golf due to loads of rain, some snow and some really cold weather at times. And now I’m back at it. I didn’t fully take the time off but got to play very little and the score reflected it this month. We will see how I rebound!!!!

• TServosTServos Posts: 405 ✭✭

Two hours ago. 5 iron, 212yrd to a back pin with a little helping wind. Hit a nice draw to the middle of the green. Then proceeded to 3 putt.

Ping
  • P.E.P.E. Members Posts: 74 ClubWRX

September 18, 2017 Dartmouth Golf & Country Club, Blackawton, Nr Totnes, Devon, United Kingdom.

• Under2hoursUnder2hours Posts: 1,392 ✭✭

@P.E. said:
    September 18, 2017 Dartmouth Golf & Country Club, Blackawton, Nr Totnes, Devon, United Kingdom.

Ughhhh..... What's happened?

• RoodyRoody You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all Posts: 1,051 ClubWRX

@bigred90gt said:

Unfortunately, living up in New York I have to deal with at least 4-5 months off every year. The last round I played was on November 11th of 2018. I did get out last weekend to hit a medium bucket of balls. Despite working out in the gym during the offseason, the medium bucket still made me pretty sore for the next two days.

I go through that every season though. What's weird is some years I can jump right in at the beginning of the season and play well. Other seasons it takes me a month to find my swing. I think what is consistent though is my short game is always rusty at first. Touch is the hardest thing to get back right away.

Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Odyssey Black Series #7
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges
  • 3jacker3jacker Members Posts: 981 ✭✭

Monday, March 25th, approximately 5.45PM EST.
    After work range session. Tues/Wed it got cold (below 65* F), windy and a little rainy so I opted for other things. Tonight I hope to continue working on some things at the range. Forecast for 79* F and clear.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
    TM V-Steel 4wd Protopype 80X
    Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
    Callaway Apex MB 4-PW KBS C-Taper X
    Cleveland 52*/58* CG10 KBS C-Taper X
    Sizemore XB-1
  • P.E.P.E. Members Posts: 74 ClubWRX

@Under2hours said:

@P.E. said:

Ughhhh..... What's happened?

Infection and surgery in March 2018......hospital August 10, 2018.......4 hip replacement surgeries.....out of hospital January 23, 2019.

Pristine set of Sterling SLI delivered 2 weeks ago and indoor session booked at GT next week.

• Higgs66Higgs66 Members Posts: 43 ✭✭

I take a few swings now and then but here's what my course looks like

• Under2hoursUnder2hours Posts: 1,392 ✭✭

And we too got a dusting last night!!!! Will melt & at least the weather while barely hitting seasonal norms looks good to start grass growing and hopefully about 3-4 weeks to go.....