2019 Corales Puntacana Championship

Comments

• soap1984soap1984 Members Posts: 705 ✭✭

Romo needs to just not accept these invites like what is the point. It's gotten very old.

M2- Hzrdus Black 6.0
    0341x 3 wood
    19 degree 0317 and G400 22 degree hybrids
    0311T Gen2 5 -w (KBS C-taper lite)
    0311t 52, 56, 60 (Romeo)
    Bat Attack P
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,611 ✭✭

he finished 3/4/5 back of some guys that have been on the pga tour in recent years and have competed at the highest level ... not saying he should be in this event or that he has a chance of making a cut, but he IS finishing a few strokes back of ricky barnes, hunter mahan and a few others that have been on tour and still play professional golf ... that's not terrible golf, imo ...

• BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,554 ✭✭

Hey blowhards: The Corales Golf Course rating is 76.9. That would make Romo's score about scratch.
    Playing under tournament conditions, 79 wasn't bad for an amateur.

PING Rapture V1 Driver 9*
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18* & 23* hybrids
    Titleist 755 irons
    Vokey Wedges 46/54/58
    Odyssey #1WS
  • md1mmd1m Members Posts: 791 ✭✭

@3jacker said:
    The WGC being the preferred venue this week, makes the "Notable Players List" look like something from a Club Pro Guy anecdote. I mean sure, Brice Garnett and Brian Stuard have some decent moves but they're no Jay Don Blake and Jeff Maggert.

You're right. Nothing but a bunch of hacks, right?

Sam Burns, Brice Garnett, Joel Dahmen, Kramer Hickok, Davis Love III, Paul Dunne, Graeme McDowell, Jonas Blixt, Sepp Straka, Aaron Baddeley, Matt Jones, Curtis Luck,Sungjae Im, Sangmoon Ba,Charl Schwartzel, Jhonattan Vegas, Joaquín Niemann, Rafael Campos

Clubs are fluid
  • ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,382 ✭✭

@BMC said:
    Hey blowhards: The Corales Golf Course rating is 76.9. That would make Romo's score about scratch.

Let's put it this way. If he wants to go to the US Amateur or MidAm qualifying should they let him in? You do need a VALID handicap to play as I recall. We know he's playing and not posting. Is his cap valid?

WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,192 ✭✭

The ticket sales got a big boost with his inclusion in the field though, right?
    His post round comments are embarrassing bordering on delusional. The PGA Tour/tournament hosts seem happy to help him indulge in a personal vanity project, its all a little weird.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • soap1984soap1984 Members Posts: 705 ✭✭

Finishing 3 to 4 back (after one day) of guys who also currently are stinking is not anything to write home about. The point is not even that he's a scratch, if the course is so hard then why did someone shoot 6 under? Well I'll answer my own question ; that guy is a professional. I've never seen Romo post a sub par round, so if you can't do that what is the point of playing? Honestly he is insane to think he can go anywhere in golf or that it is enjoyable to watch him play.

His football commentary is also painful to listen to he was a brutal qb, now I have to listen to him try and predict every play before it happens, I wish he would just go away honestly. He is nowhere near being a competitive pro there are 10000000 amateurs that can go out and shoot 79 at corales.

M2- Hzrdus Black 6.0
    0341x 3 wood
    19 degree 0317 and G400 22 degree hybrids
    0311T Gen2 5 -w (KBS C-taper lite)
    0311t 52, 56, 60 (Romeo)
    Bat Attack P
  • OutBackHackOutBackHack Members Posts: 910 ✭✭

@snizzle said:
    I realize it's a ratings stunt for this tournament but Romo is just out there embarrassing himself. He should not be playing in a PGA tournament. His skill set is not good enough for the mini tours. Making it worse GC is showing more of him than any of the real pros.

Hold tight, he's got another one coming up in a few months.

• deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,669 ClubWRX

@Shilgy said:

@BMC said:

Let's put it this way. If he wants to go to the US Amateur or MidAm qualifying should they let him in? You do need a VALID handicap to play as I recall. We know he's playing and not posting. Is his cap valid?

Maybe he’s playing most of his rounds solo. Or as practice rounds.

I don’t get the outrage over Romo. Does it really matter if it’s him carding a 79 or another lower tier pro who shoots a 75? At least he generates a little interest in a tournament that really doesn’t have much (as evidenced here, on a golf forum where golf nuts say they don’t care)

Nate Lashley’s last start on a medical exemption, has to have a good week.

Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,753 ✭✭

Good to see a couple guys I pull for in the top 10. DJ Trajan and Matt Jones. Would love to see either grab a win !

TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot

@2putttom said:
    wonderful ! .

just to get my post count up.

Push that 10,000 count!

Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62

@deadsolid...shank said:
    I don’t get the outrage over Romo. Does it really matter if it’s him carding a 79 or another lower tier pro who shoots a 75? At least he generates a little interest in a tournament that really doesn’t have much (as evidenced here, on a golf forum where golf nuts say they don’t care)

It's certainly not outrage from my point of view. I find it little bit of everything: cringeworthy, embarrassing and laughable.

I also find it bizarre that anyone would want to watch it, first time for sure as there was a degree of curiosity but now.

Nobody is skipping watching the WGC to watch the opposite event because Romo is playing, I wouldn't have known what he scored if Golf Central hadn't acted as his personal PR team. I am very skeptical about the theory that it generates interest.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Titleist Pro V 1x

@OldTomMorris said:

@deadsolid...shank said:

It's certainly not outrage from my point of view. I find it little bit of everything: cringeworthy, embarrassing and laughable.

I also find it bizarre that anyone would want to watch it, first time for sure as there was a degree of curiosity but now.

Nobody is skipping watching the WGC to watch the opposite event because Romo is playing, I wouldn't have known what he scored if Golf Central hadn't acted as his personal PR team. I am very skeptical about the theory that it generates interest.

I think the fact that this thread, supposedly about the tournament, has morphed into mostly about Romo shows the he is generating more interest than the tournament itself. And that’s here on a golf board where we know what “opposite field event” means.

Just me, but I’d rather watch a know person try and compete, and likely fail, than watch another no name pro shoot 75. Again, just me.

Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • Big Cat 3Big Cat 3 Members Posts: 627 ✭✭

Great start Romo bogie bogie
    Dude better start working out , looking rather dumpy ... lay off the burritos fat boy

edited Mar 29, 2019 6:54pm #46

Romo up date ... just doubled one of easier holes on course
    5 over through 6
    +14 overall
    25 out of the lead but has 12 holes left today to catch up

Meanwhile in real golf ... Tiger vs Rory tomorrow!

Quick update ... Romo bounces back from ugly double with another shot OB ... 6th shot coming up on par 4 16th still not on green.
    Train wreck !!!!

Whew makes 15 footer for double ... only 27 out
    Caddie just said ‘ let’s focus on making cut ‘ needs back 9 25 to make it. Come on Romo you can do this !

Huge par 3 on 17th ! A par on 18 gives America’s hero an opening 9 43
    A 22 on his final 9 should get him under cut line
    A 12 and he is back in this thing !

Dang bogie ... 44
    27 out
    14 under on final 9 should get Romo right at cut line
    Go Romo ... and no cheeseburgers at turn !

@soap1984 said:
    Romo needs to just not accept these invites like what is the point. It's gotten very old.

This embarrassing performance should keep him away ... but with that ego as big as his tail, who knows. Guy is not any good and whoever is telling him he is needs to stop ( Nantz).

• golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,432 ✭✭

“A 12 and he is back in this thing !”

You won’t get the recognition this deserves, but I really did laugh out loud.

• ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,382 ✭✭

@deadsolid...shank said:

@Shilgy said:

@BMC said:

Like the ATT was solo? Or just practice. I am not saying he is a bad golfer-for a non competitive amateur. But if he wants to be a pro then turn pro. If he wants the privileges that come with being an amateur then follow the rules.

Just one guys two cents.

WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!

Well another double disaster by Romo .... so let’s change our strategy
    Flip the leaderboard upside down and chub boy is in 2nd and only one out of 85-77 +18 George Riley
    Come on Romo you can do this ... 5 hole left + 17, a couple bogies and you win an inverted title !
    Don’t you dare with draw meathead !

• irish26irish26 Members Posts: 43 ✭✭

When Romo first starting throwing around the idea of playing tour events I thought it was a good idea. What harm could it do? And it would definitely garner some excitement that otherwise would not have been there.

Now, I'm not so sure anymore. He will likely finish 20+ strokes off the cut line. That's going to bruise the ole ego

Another par by our boy blunder ... 3 holes left to not defend his last place finish from last year ! You can do this dough boy. 3 pars and 2nd place is yours ! ( btw only 27 strokes out of real lead and 15 from cut line ). We never need to hear about this posers golf game again after this mess.

Quick up date ... CBS called and asked to change Romo double bogie on par 5 to just bogie. Permission granted only 9 over now and 2 stroke lead on the cellar. Par in and the great Romo gets 2nd .... from last

@Shilgy said:

@deadsolid...shank said:

@Shilgy said:

@BMC said:

Like the ATT was solo? Or just practice. I am not saying he is a bad golfer-for a non competitive amateur. But if he wants to be a pro then turn pro. If he wants the privileges that come with being an amateur then follow the rules.

Just one guys two cents.

I said “maybe most”. Shouldn’t the tournament be posting the scores from the AT&T.

But I agree it’s definitely very questionable that he hasn’t posted anything.

Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62

6 shots behind 3rd from last. He's so far out of his depth it's scary. The whole Romo playing on the PGA Tour thing is cringeworthy.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,729 ✭✭

Sungjae Im with the lead after 36 holes. If he wins, that moves him into the top 50 in OWGR and gets him an invitation to The Masters.

swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • BNGLBNGL Members Posts: 1,595 ✭✭

Omar Uresti acquitting himself nicely at 3 under repping PGA Club Pros!!!