What up with Jordan?

Comments

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,616 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

So in short. Just convince yourself not to care and clarity will descend ?

If only that were possible to the ocd mind. I share his traits as far as the analytical side and cope best when I just turn the information spigot off and play blindly so to speak. Maybe that’s what Rory is doing ? He’s also coupling it with an outward “ I don’t care what happens “ self talk. Which to me seems impossible to do when you care about outcome that much.

Serious question . Where is the line for ceasing to care about outcome ? Is it on a whole round. Or does it also include shot to shot ? If we don’t care where a shot goes , how do we learn to execute and focus on hitting that shot ? I struggle with knowing how to parse all that up into compartments.

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

• JonnyKrasnodarJonnyKrasnodar Members Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

When he caught fire and was holing putts from 30-40 feet several times a round during that epic run there was largely a lull of sorts in the strength and depth of field. The "stars" were all out of sorts to some extent and he blew away what competition there was.

Now that Tiger is back, DJ is on form, Rory is playing to a consistently high standard, Koepka and DeChambeau are in the mix Spieth seems to have hit a wall. I genuinely thought he would be winning a Major every other year as well as multiple Your wins a season because everything he did he did easily and without fear.

Today he looked as though he was begging the putts to drop and that is desparate. Missed quite a few low because he wasn't hitting with conviction. I get the impression that any of the top 10 in the world could give him a pasting with their B or C games at the minute and that's a tough spot to be in.

I've said before he looks absolutely frazzled. An extended break might help to refocus and re energise. Golf is hard enough as it is but when you're under pressure to make things happen, it borders on impossible.

• North TexasNorth Texas Members Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I recognize that I am neither a brain scientist or rocket surgeon, but am I the only one who doesn't have a freaking clue what Cool Runnings is trying to say?

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,616 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Cool Runnings

Believe it or not , I get what you’re saying. Makes sense. I don’t know if I’m alarmed or glad ( a joke) that someone could read my abstract thought pattern. Lol At least that’s what I call it. Normally when I ask some hypothetical question where I’ve thought about something outside the normal excepted boxes I get crickets or cross eyed looks.

I’m quite interested in the mental control and/or mental currency/motivation side of the game . And life in general as well.

Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 

• HitEmTrueHitEmTrue North TexasMembers Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Many of these threads have his name misspelled...so at least there is that.

• TasalsTasals Members Posts: 338 ✭✭✭✭

@Socrates said:

@bladehunter said:
    Jordan must be playing ok today. Horschell has 5-6 birdies and is only 1 up through 10.

Neither one of them can putt. They just said that Spieth is 189th in putting from inside 10' this year. That's the kind of stat that will get you on the Web.com Tour soon. Fortunately, he's exempt for who knows how long.

I thought Speith's exemptions are cumulative and he would have 11 wins and 3 majors worth of exemptions? So thats like 20ish years?

• ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers Posts: 11,837 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bladehunter said:
    2 birdies on 17-18 to claw back to a halve. Not exactly a choke job today. Plenty left to do but good grief I’ll say again.

You can gauge this kids talent and aptitude by the amount of hate he generates and threads like this. Only tiger generates more.

It appears Spieth shot even or one over. Still a ways to go. Nice halve.

WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,478 ClubWRX

@Shilgy said:

@bladehunter said:
    2 birdies on 17-18 to claw back to a halve. Not exactly a choke job today. Plenty left to do but good grief I’ll say again.

You can gauge this kids talent and aptitude by the amount of hate he generates and threads like this. Only tiger generates more.

It appears Spieth shot even or one over. Still a ways to go. Nice halve.

Do believe that they no longer use the term "halved." They have dumbed it down to tied.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    Ping Forged 52°

• jigglelowjigglelow Bend, ORMembers Posts: 47 ✭✭

@Ferguson said:

@jonsnow said:

@Ferguson said:
    Drugs, marriage, struggles or swollen glands - take your pick.
    Who knows?

You forgot Groats. There's always the possibility of Groats.

I know. It's hard to talk about.
    An estimated 1 out of every 15,437 golfers is suspected of having Groats.

He needs to go speak to Danny Duberstein.

• agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's funny, Rory wins one tournament and he's suddenly found everything. There's no doubt he's playing great, and he looks comfortable too. He may have a monster year. But he was doing all of this before the one win as well, and until the win the narrative was generally negative. He also had a win early last year and then went on to have, at least for him, a spring/summer to forget.

For both of these guys, it seems like everyone expects them to double what they've put up so far over the rest of their careers or it's a failure. I tend to think Spieth will eventually be back, although he looks horrible right now and at the end of the day no one really knows. I don't think his record is all "lucky" though. He clearly won the 2015 Masters and should have won the 2016 Masters (this is on par with Rory in 2011 and Greg Norman in 1996). The 2014 Masters, 2015 US Open, 2017 Open, and 2018 Open all could have gone either way (oddly, I think the 2018 Masters was a bit different. Even if he doesn't hit the tree on 18 there's no guarantee he makes birdie and even if he does it could have changed how Reed/others played the rest of the way. Also, given where he started the final round of the 2017 Open he should have won, but based on where he was on the back nine it's a toss up). So he could have anywhere from 2 to 6 majors, and when you take realistic conversion rates for anyone besides Tiger the three that he has is probably about right. Just having to list out all of these opportunities probably shows it's not luck.

That being said, Martin Kaymer has fallen of the face of the earth. He played well from 2008-2011 and then in 2014. 2 Majors and the Players, but no one seems to care what happened. Similarly, if Koepka never wins another major and only like 5 more tournaments total I don't think anyone will blink. The story will just be that he got hot for 2 years in the big ones. Sure, Spieth probably had more talent at 18 years old than either of these guys but it's not like these other two had/have nothing. A dramatic/permanent decline could happen to him (Spieth) for any number of reasons.

Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  Ping Eye 2+ (58*) or Ping Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Members Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Come on guys, winning on the pro level is hard. Just being able to sustain eliteness in the pro ranks is already a sign of super-human talent. Nobody can call YJS a loser by any means. He was on fire when he came on the tour. Now he's lost it. Probably will find some of it again later on. Whatever it is, he hasn't given up anyway, so just be ready when it comes. But then again some don't regain that level, just see Jason Day, Kaymer etc.

TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5
  • RangeballzRangeballz Members Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@North Texas said:
    I recognize that I am neither a brain scientist or rocket surgeon, but am I the only one who doesn't have a freaking clue what Cool Runnings is trying to say?

I was hoping someone would provide an executive summary.....

I don't recall Kaymer being injured for the majority of the last 4 years, but you may be right. My main observation was that other people come and go, but the golf world seems to be more invested in what happens to Rory and Spieth (neither good nor bad, it just is what it is).

Everything else you write may be correct. Or, it may be a bunch of rubbish. I'm not in a position to say it's wrong, but there are many semi-complicated (or long worded) explanations that sound great and are more believable after the objective evidence comes out. I thought Rory's play looked great earlier this year and thought it was a positive that he was right there every week. You may have been thinking the same, and had some insight/beliefs into the mental aspect as well (I don't really try to judge what's going on there). In which case, you were right on.

But consider the following. Tom Brady won three Super Bowls early in his career. Then he went nine years without winning one, including losing twice in the big game (once with the best regular season team ever and another time with a loaded offense). Since, he's won another three of four, and the legend grows with every victory. The results are the results, but there was also one of the worst play calls in Super Bowl history, an opponent that melted down in excess of what Spieth did at the 2016 Masters, and a defensive player that couldn't line up on his side of the ball. I don't think he had it, lost it, and somehow found it again. He's always been a great player and/but sometimes the cards just fall the right way and sometimes they don't.

Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
  • 3jacker3jacker Members Posts: 1,004 ✭✭

@North Texas said:

Most don't. It's about awareness.
    It was a great post, btw. Trust me.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
    TM V-Steel 4wd Protopype 80X
    Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
    Callaway Apex MB 4-PW KBS C-Taper X
    Cleveland 52*/58* CG10 KBS C-Taper X
    Sizemore XB-1
  • North TexasNorth Texas Members Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Rangeballz said:

@North Texas said:

I was hoping someone would provide an executive summary.....

Brevity is a lost art. Especially for people like me with a short attention span.

edited Mar 28, 2019 1:57pm #47

Kaymer is a bad example in my opinion. A pretty single dimension player always. Not a great short game and never a fire starting putter. And can obviously only see shots one direction. Sure he’s a good player by worlds standards. But compared to his peers ( professional tour) Not great.

Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 

@bladehunter said:
    Kaymer is a bad example in my opinion. A pretty single dimension player always. Not a great short game and never a fire starting putter. And can obviously only see shots one direction. Sure he’s a good player by worlds standards. But compared to his peers ( professional tour) Not great.

Yes, he was relatively good for a while but not on the level of these two (or probably some others even though Kaymer won more big tournaments). But had he kept winning despite his limitations, his popularity would have gained, and then we'd have tons of justifications and stories for why he's able to do it. Hence, after the fact things become much clearer or it is easier to make up a narrative that seems believable.

Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
  • Showtime9Showtime9 MonsterHeel Members Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

As Brandel said during the players championship that he may be another Chip Beck....so where are the multiple “is Chip Beck Done” threads?

@Cool Runnings said:
    It isn’t “rubbish” but for many it is misunderstood which equates to something similar in their minds. For those looking in on Rory and his situation/transformation from the outside, I can certainly understand their scepticism. But for me (who’s profession is in human psychology), Rory has provided enough evidence to believe this shift to a newer model of the world has gone beyond mere words for him. It appears to me he’s grown beyond his old thinking and is seeing the world through a new more empowering lens and his recent actions, language and physiology are very much congruent.

The fact Rory’s speaking so openly & insightfully about it all when asked, is actually quite refreshing.

@agolf1 said:

I don't recall Kaymer being injured for the majority of the last 4 years, but you may be right. My main observation was that other people come and go, but the golf world seems to be more invested in what happens to Rory and Spieth (neither good nor bad, it just is what it is).

Everything else you write may be correct. Or, it may be a bunch of rubbish. I'm not in a position to say it's wrong, but there are many semi-complicated (or long worded) explanations that sound great and are more believable after the objective evidence comes out. I thought Rory's play looked great earlier this year and thought it was a positive that he was right there every week. You may have been thinking the same, and had some insight/beliefs into the mental aspect as well (I don't really try to judge what's going on there). In which case, you were right on.

But consider the following. Tom Brady won three Super Bowls early in his career. Then he went nine years without winning one, including losing twice in the big game (once with the best regular season team ever and another time with a loaded offense). Since, he's won another three of four, and the legend grows with every victory. The results are the results, but there was also one of the worst play calls in Super Bowl history, an opponent that melted down in excess of what Spieth did at the 2016 Masters, and a defensive player that couldn't line up on his side of the ball. I don't think he had it, lost it, and somehow found it again. He's always been a great player and/but sometimes the cards just fall the right way and sometimes they don't.

Good stuff? What kind of psychology do you do?
    I find it interesting because I kind of woke up after 40+ years of being in a very self-perceiving kind of world. I understand what you are saying but 14 months ago I would not have and would have been much more prone to dismiss it since I couldn't relate to it.
    I finally get that reedom and happiness are independent of what we get. I don't always remember it but it's there when it wasn't before.

Sizemore XB-1
  • MaximilianMaximilian Members Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@3jacker said:

I find it interesting because I kind of woke up after 40+ years of being in a very self-perceiving kind of world. I understand what you are saying but 14 months ago I would not have and would have been much more prone to dismiss it since I couldn't relate to

Ah I see, you have gone through the romantic, self investigation phase of your twenties, the intellectual, realist phase of your thirties and have now hit the spiritual awakening of the couscous soul. You can look forward to a few years of being mentally upset now that you begin to question all of your earlier values.

LOL, I'M JUST KIDDING!
    I'm not a psychologist nor am I pretending to know what you are going through. But I'm currently reading a bunch of psychology books on the phases of man for a project I'm working on and literally read something to this extent before lunch today. Just thought it was kind of a funny timing.

• MaximilianMaximilian Members Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Lol, I meant to say conscious soul not couscous soul, but I kind of like "the spiritual awakening of the couscous soul", so I don't want to edit it. :D

• tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 28, 2019 4:21pm #53

isn't chip beck like 70 yrs old???? Spieth is 25> @Showtime9 said:

As Brandel said during the players championship that he may be another Chip Beck....so where are the multiple “is Chip Beck Done” threads?

C'mon now. He's only 62.

Sizemore XB-1
  • disco111disco111 Members Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

JS needs to go play a practice round and have his caddie (who knows his game), just hand him a club, no discussions, just go and hit the club that's he's been given. Totally eliminate any forethought about the shot, just step up and hit it. Could be an epiphany in the making.

I think a lot of them need to do that.

Sizemore XB-1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights