Will My Hdcp Benefit from a Club Champion Fitting

LowAndLeft32

Testing out Club Champion for the first time by getting fit for a driver. What has been your experience as to changes in your game and scores post a fitting and purchases of clubs matching specs from a club champion fitting? I realize that you cant buy a golf game, but will I see some improvement of some sort? FYI 13 hdcp playing a Ping G400 that was not fitted but outperformed my previous Epic that was 'fitted at Edwin Watts'. Thanks.

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

You will likely over time score better, but swing thoughts and feel and shaft performance based on your specific delivery will result in better shots. Your scores will only improve with lessons and practicing, obviously. But so much of this game is won on the 6 inches between your ears, a good emotional feel from properly fit clubs and good shots will make you play better.

So, yes, it will help. It won't be immediate as you'll need to adjust, but I was fit for my entire bag (except putter) there and I'm starting to play better golf. FWIW, the driver I was fit for last year though I think was wrong and I'm getting way better numbers out of a different head/shaft combo. But swings change too... so take that what you will.

TL;DR: get fit, it'll help.

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54D/60S DG S300

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

@LowAndLeft32

I had a full bag fitting at CC done in December of 2017 and last summer was my first summer after building my bag as closely as possible to the fitting recommendations (the money saved was worth the extra effort). The benefits were night and day. The normal misses I had were significantly decreased and left me much more playable options.

So to simply answer your question, yes your handicap will lower after a thorough CC fitting however I believe only if you use the time saved from full swing practice to putting/short game practice.

Good luck!

Justin

The answer depends completely on how your current/previous clubs fit you. If they are pretty close, then you may not notice much of a difference in your index.

BUT I would quickly add that there is a world of difference between your index and your average, and fitted clubs can help the average more than the index. I get killed for saying this, but I really believe it. The reason, at the risk of oversimplifying, is that your index is based on your best days, and that's when subtle differences in club specs may well matter the least. It's the days were don't have your best swing that you need the "help" that fitted clubs can provide. The scores may still be worse than your really good days, and so not count toward your index, but can still win you money from your buddies.

I was fit by Ping for a driver. Outside with trackman.

Improved my driving substantially. Coming from an Epic 10.5 w/ Speeder 661 stiff that I was fit for at PGASS about 2 years ago, and into a G400 10.5 w/ HZRDUS Yellow 75 5.5, so heavier, and a little softer. This set up is a bit longer, but much straighter on mishits. 9 handicap, 57, low 90’s SS driver.

Ping had me in either 5.5 or 6.0 ( I liked feel of the 5.5) and either the Standard G400 or LST head.

As for effect on handicap: More fairways and shorter approach shots help. But if you have other weaknesses ,my iron play is weak at the moment, and that affects my scores more than driving.

Work on your weaknesses, Cap will drop. Proper equipment fit will help a bit.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

> @LowAndLeft32 said:

> If the fitting goes well with driver I plan to return for woods, irons, wedges and putter fitting. Is there one type of club where fitting was the most beneficial or one fitting that was worthless? Thanks.

Most beneficial? Putter.

Worthless? Unless the fitter is bad at their job and makes your numbers worse in your woods/irons/wedges, none are worthless.

I was fit in January, still adjusting somewhat to the new sticks, but I will say they absolutely are going to benefit my game. My main goal was to tighten dispersion and help mitigate the big left miss. The new clubs are for sure helping with that. I'm still fighting some old swing issues so I have not seen too much improvement in scores yet, but the quality and consistency of my ball flight has improved dramatically. Having full confidence in the club and not worrying if it's me or the equipment definitely helps as well

And as mentioned, the most immediate improvement I saw was with the putter fitting. Putting a much more consistent roll on the ball with the proper style flat stick

I did the full fitting and then put the clubs together on my own. Money very well spent IMO

As I see a late in the index game fitting, results depend a great deal on your ability to identify nuances in your game. I was fit a long time back but only irons and it had an effect on scoring, therefore helped towards lowering my index. Not sure a driver/shaft change would translate to a lower index. Guess I'll see for myself since I just went from 917D2 10.5 to TS2 9.5 and new ultra light "S" shaft.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

> @backhill said:

> > @lookylookitzadam said:

> > Sometimes just knowing you have been fit for a club "makes it perform" better due to having more confidence with it.

>

> Placebo is huge in golf. It's 80% mental and 40% physical.

Placebo and club ho's go hand-in-hand. :wink:

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I completed my driving fitting yesterday at CC. Overall, it was a good experience. I was able to hit all the drivers. Came away with the PXG Gen2 X. with an Accra TZ5 65 shaft. Gained 5-10 yards of distance and some accuracy. On to putting and wedge fitting. Looking forward to see if there is any benefit in fitting in those two areas.

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

> @LowAndLeft32 said:

> I completed my driving fitting yesterday at CC. Overall, it was a good experience. I was able to hit all the drivers. Came away with the PXG Gen2 X. with an Accra TZ5 65 shaft. Gained 5-10 yards of distance and some accuracy. On to putting and wedge fitting. Looking forward to see if there is any benefit in fitting in those two areas.

Good for you. I’ve done fittings and gotten things from them too. I believe you’ll enjoy your new clubs. Just know that it takes a few outings to get used to it.

I've been fit a few times. I don't really believe the results and numbers so much because there have been clubs and shafts that I didn't hit well on the day but on another day, or over time, did well with. My favorite example are CTaperLite shafts where I can see in my first Trackman report, I hit terribly. Today though, they are my favorite steel shafts.

What I do put value in is the ability to try a lot of different things and combinations. Nowadays, what I put stock in is feel. If it feels good and I like it, I have faith the performance will improve once I work on it.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @LowAndLeft32 said:

> Great points @IamMarkMac. I largely chose the PXG driver because I loved the feel and the sound!

Indeed. And this may be something for another thread but I wouldn’t pick up something I didn’t like based on fitting data, even if it showed the best results. Since, realistically, differences in equipment are pretty close, buying something I like is most important.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

• 1 month later...

This topic is a hard one. I'm of the belief that most anyone can fit themselves if they are willing to research AND they are in tune with their inner needs. Putters are almost entirely about feel. Wedges are about bounce and the lofts you want, as well as total weight so the clubs blend with your irons. Don't go heavy on the wedge shafts if your iron shafts are light. Hybrids and long irons are about confidence. If you can sort through these details then just study and pull the trigger. Most likely you will be fine. If you want someone else to offer more specific suggestions than get a fitting. Personally I've never had one and don't plan to either.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

For my game, I'd estimate that a complete driver through wedges club fitting (my Ping Anser putters are a "cold, dead hands" thing) would have a value in terms of scoring roughly equal to investing 20 minutes twice a month practicing bunker shots. Call it a stroke or two per round.

> @Nessism said:

> This topic is a hard one. I'm of the belief that most anyone can fit themselves if they are willing to research AND they are in tune with their inner needs. Putters are almost entirely about feel. Wedges are about bounce and the lofts you want, as well as total weight so the clubs blend with your irons. Don't go heavy on the wedge shafts if your iron shafts are light. Hybrids and long irons are about confidence. If you can sort through these details then just study and pull the trigger. Most likely you will be fine. If you want someone else to offer more specific suggestions than get a fitting. Personally I've never had one and don't plan to either.

Agreed , everyone should fit themselves and it should be an ongoing process to keep updating your equipment.

I think no, equipment does not affect Handicap directly. If you are really invested in your own improvement then it is just one of the pieces of the puzzle.

So in that regard a club champion fitting could become what to blame when it does not make you any better.

I’m the type of guy who used equipment 3-4 years old to save money. Not irons though, those are my weapons! ;)

> @"North Butte" said:

> For my game, I'd estimate that a complete driver through wedges club fitting (my Ping Anser putters are a "cold, dead hands" thing) would have a value in terms of scoring roughly equal to investing 20 minutes twice a month practicing bunker shots. Call it a stroke or two per round.

You'd be surprised what 20 minutes in a bunker hitting shots can do! Many moons ago I went from "hit and pray" to trying to hole out bunker shots after a few sessions like that. Good memories...

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"