Summer 2019 - Your tournament golf ball this summer

wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat SunflowerMembers Posts: 827 ✭✭
edited Mar 28, 2019 9:17pm in Juniors/College Golf Talk #1

Started a thread like this last year, so why not do it again. Plus, I am bored at work.

Junior: 8YO Boy

2018: We started with Wilson Staff Duo but switched to Callaway Chromesoft (2018 edition). We did experiment with Srixon Q-Star but stuck with the Chromesoft (2018 edition) anyway.

2019: Still with the Callaway Chromesoft and plan to pick up some Truvis Shamrock. Considering trying out some ProV1 this year but he likes the Callaway Chromesoft especially the Truvis stuff.

Comments

  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 827 ✭✭
    edited Mar 28, 2019 9:17pm #2

    [deleted]

  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,011 ✭✭

    For the 8 year old we use callaway supersoft the ball is okay but sometimes use a random pink ball because well she likes pink. Ball doesn’t really matter much at this age anyways.

    The older one uses prov1 balls. The main reason is they just simply work better when putting and around the greens. We tried just about everything loved the truvis balls and they are a close second but for what ever reason they just are not as good on the greens for her. Tried other brands but the better balls are all expensive too so not much incentive.

  • cellywrattcellywratt Members Posts: 22 ✭✭

    Seeing kids at 7 and 8 using TP5s.. can't help but think they're losing out on distance somewhat and surely don't take full advantage of the ball.

    My boy (7) had been using the Wilson Duo U and have now switched to the Duo Professional and has not noticed any drastic changes. The ball is awesome as it's long off the tee but has awesome stopping power around the greens.

  • AUSweeperAUSweeper Members Posts: 34 ✭✭

    Titleist tour soft. Their ads worked. 9 yo said he wanted to use the same brand all the pros use after seeing their commercial. So far has had pretty good distance and really good around the green.

  • Tannerbug33Tannerbug33 Posts: 119 ✭✭

    Chrome soft. Good distance for a 10yo and checks up good on the greens.

  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 827 ✭✭

    @cellywratt said:
    Seeing kids at 7 and 8 using TP5s.. can't help but think they're losing out on distance somewhat and surely don't take full advantage of the ball.

    My boy (7) had been using the Wilson Duo U and have now switched to the Duo Professional and has not noticed any drastic changes. The ball is awesome as it's long off the tee but has awesome stopping power around the greens.

    When we switched from Wilson Duo to Chromesoft last year as a 7YO, we did not lose any distance. I thought the same as you but the proof in the pudding turned out different.

  • cellywrattcellywratt Members Posts: 22 ✭✭

    @wildcatden said:

    @cellywratt said:
    Seeing kids at 7 and 8 using TP5s.. can't help but think they're losing out on distance somewhat and surely don't take full advantage of the ball.

    My boy (7) had been using the Wilson Duo U and have now switched to the Duo Professional and has not noticed any drastic changes. The ball is awesome as it's long off the tee but has awesome stopping power around the greens.

    When we switched from Wilson Duo to Chromesoft last year as a 7YO, we did not lose any distance. I thought the same as you but the proof in the pudding turned out different.

    Agree we saw similar with the chromesoft as well. Definitely got less distance off the tee when trialing the new ProV1 a few weeks back. My boy is a huge Callaway fan so I don't think it'll take him long to twist my arm on those 😂

  • For the younger kids with less than 80mph swing speeds, the Titleist Tour Soft and the Callaway ERC soft are excellent choices. You get good distance off the tee with those balls and good control around the greens. The new Taylor Made Project A ball is softer than the two listed above so you get more check on the greens but I found it to be shorter off the tee.

  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,003 ✭✭

    TP5 for now. Soon may be making the change to the X.

  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 963 ✭✭

    @heavy_hitter said:
    TP5 for now. Soon may be making the change to the X.

    The X didn't work for us but it might for you. Just not getting enough spin with it.

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members Posts: 207 ✭✭

    9 Year Old decent junior golfer.
    He switches between the following three:
    Wilson Duo Soft, Callaway Chromesoft Truvis, Bridgestone E6.
    He hits all three similar but there are some small differences. Typically he gets a bit more off the tee with the Duo but gets better control around the greens with the Callaways. The E6's are a nice middle ground compromise for his game. For him its about what he is feeling that day and sometimes switching up balls after a bad hole helps him reset.

    Dad's Bag

    Driver: Ping G30 10 degree, Aldila Reg Flex
    3W, and 7W: Cleveland Black, Bassara, Lite Flex
    5i - PW: Titleist AP1 716, DG XP90 Reg Flex
    W: 48 Cleveland Rotex 3
    W: 52 Cleveland Rotex 2
    W: 56 Vokey SM6 F Grind
    P: TP Mills Flat-T Proto
    Ball: Srixon Q-Star

    Son's Bag (9 years old)
    Driver: Callaway XR16, Flynn Shaft (Set to 15.5)
    3W: Cobra Biocell, Flynn Shaft (Set to 19.5)
    4H: Cobra Biocell, Flynn Shaft (Set to 25)
    5i-PW: US Kids Tour Series TS2
    W: 52, 56 degree US Kids Tour Series TS2
    P: Nike Oven MC-07W Prototype
    Ball: Wilson Duo Soft/Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis
  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 682 ✭✭

    My daughter hit everything under the sun and back. Used to play the Wilson dup 2015 version for a while but that ball creates zero spin. Great ball for DCP considering how cheap they are. Her coach gave her some AVX balls that ball is just flat out long. Probably because it launches a little lower and runs a bit more but it checks well enough on the greens for an 8 year old. Currently using that because it was free. Tried the ERC Soft and tour soft was well both good balls. Find the ball your kid wants to play that doesn't hurt their game.

  • MikekiMMikekiM Members Posts: 179 ✭✭

    We've been using the Duo-U all last year. Tried out the new ERC Soft but noticing it just wasn't holding greens with irons quite the same as the Duo-U. So far sticking with the Wilson for now, but may tinker a bit as the year goes on.

  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,003 ✭✭

    The new Duo-Professional is a really good ball.

  • cubuffscubuffs Posts: 390 ✭✭

    Just had this conversation on the way to school this morning. My son, who is 14 has played the chrome soft for the last three years and absolutely loves it. For reference, his driver swing speed is between 100 - 103 as recorded on track man during his last few lessons. He has expressed some interest in trying a Titleist this year and we may experiment with a few different balls to see if he likes anything better, but the chrome soft continues to be his ball of choice for now.

  • kcapkcap Members Posts: 154 ✭✭

    Played with the Wilson DUO U last year, practiced with the TP5 and started with that..just ordered the Wilson Duo -Professional and will try that out next week.

  • Shanks2424Shanks2424 Members Posts: 215 ✭✭

    my son is 9. He loves to play Titleist because thats what dad plays. He is playing my old scuffed up Titleist Pro V1 and he has a new dozen of Titleist DT Trusoft. He also plays any ball he finds on the course hahah.

    Brad's Bag 2019
    Driver- Titleist 910 D3 8.5 Fujikura Speeder Pro TS Stiff
    3 Wood- Titleist 909 F3 15* Matrix HD9 Stiff
    Hybrid- Adams A12 Pro 18* Project X PXI 6.0
    3-PW- Titleist DCI 990 TT Dynamic Gold S300
    Wedges-Titleist Vokey Spin Milled CC 54/58 TT Dynamic Gold S300
    Putter- Odyssey Tank 1 34 Inches Super Stroke Flatso 1.0
    Ball- Titleist Pro V1
    Bag Ogio Woode Stand Bag
     Grips Lamkin UTX Wrap 2 Wraps of Tape

    Gavin's Bad 9 Year old son
    Driver- Cobra Fly Z 12.5 Junior Cobra Shaft
    4Wood- Cobra Amp 16.5 Cobra Junior Shaft[/background]
    Hybrid- ???????
    6-PW Cobra Max Apollo Junior Steel Shaft
    Wedges- Cobra Max 50*  Cobra Pur 56* Apollo Junior Steel Shaft
    Putter- Odyssey Metal X Rossie Super Stroke Ultra Slim 1.0
    Ball- Titleist DTtru Soft.
    Bag- Maxfli Black and Blue Junior Bag
    Winn Dritec on Driver and 3 Wood
    Golf Pride Junior Tour Velvet On Irons and Wedges.
  • bwbwbwbw Members Posts: 56 ✭✭

    13 yo daughter - Titlelist Tour Soft. May try AVX later. But, for now, plenty of distance with the Tour Soft and can get a lot of spin on the greens with it.

    12 yo daughter - Titleist DT TruSoft. May move her to Tour Soft. Her swing speed is probably a bit higher than my 13 y/o, but her form is not nearly as good. But when she connects cleanly, the Tour Soft may be a better ball.

  • Hack DaddyHack Daddy Members Posts: 676 ✭✭

    9 year old boy, Duo U.

    Nike Vapor Pro Aldilla RIP NL
    Nike VR Covert Tour 2.0 3W Aldilla RIP
    Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW Nippon Pro Modus 105
    Nike VR 54/58 S300
    Nike B1-01 Black pearl shaft, Cork Tree Pistol
    TP5X
  • @heavy_hitter said:
    The new Duo-Professional is a really good ball.

    Son has been using this ball for the past few weeks. He likes it but can't really say there is a difference between it and the urethane.

  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,003 ✭✭

    @Palmetto Golfer said:

    @heavy_hitter said:
    The new Duo-Professional is a really good ball.

    Son has been using this ball for the past few weeks. He likes it but can't really say there is a difference between it and the urethane.

    Mine says he gets more spin with it. I do think they are very similar though. Just stating it is a good ball. He is now using the TP5.

  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 963 ✭✭

    @heavy_hitter said:

    @Palmetto Golfer said:

    @heavy_hitter said:
    The new Duo-Professional is a really good ball.

    Son has been using this ball for the past few weeks. He likes it but can't really say there is a difference between it and the urethane.

    Mine says he gets more spin with it. I do think they are very similar though. Just stating it is a good ball. He is now using the TP5.

    Trying the TP5 Pix today after school.

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,003 ✭✭

    @leezer99 said:

    @heavy_hitter said:

    @Palmetto Golfer said:

    @heavy_hitter said:
    The new Duo-Professional is a really good ball.

    Son has been using this ball for the past few weeks. He likes it but can't really say there is a difference between it and the urethane.

    Mine says he gets more spin with it. I do think they are very similar though. Just stating it is a good ball. He is now using the TP5.

    Trying the TP5 Pix today after school.

    I will rephrase. He is using the TP5 for short game because he can't swing a club without pain. He really likes it around the greens.

  • CTgolfCTgolf Posts: 407 ✭✭

    Titleist ProV1

    The potential yardage gained using a lower compression ball isn't worth the inferior feel on and around the greens and, more importantly, the fun you get out of playing the same ball as your favorite players

Sign In or Register to comment.