Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Outer Banks

DCMorgan89DCMorgan89 Members Posts: 46 ✭✭

Sneaking down a couple days early for a wedding, looking to leave my pregnant wife on the beach for I few hours while I recycle some golf balls in the woods. Anyone have any hidden gems?

Comments

• thedanimal58thedanimal58 Members Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

Which part of the outerbanks southern or northern?

- Taylormade M1 10.5 Project X HZRDUS Yellow 6.5
    - Taylormade M1 3W Aldila Rouge 70 X
    - Taylormade GAPR Mid Graphite Design Di95x
    - Taylormade SLDR 4-PW Project X LZ 6.5
    - Vokey SM6 52*, 56*, & 60*
    - Taylormade Spider Tour 3 Red
    - TM TP-5X
  • DCMorgan89DCMorgan89 Members Posts: 46 ✭✭

North Topsail is where we're staying.

• bermudabermuda Members Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 7, 2019 4:08pm #4

Not to be a jerk, just trying to help you search for courses: Technically, that's not the Outer Banks. The OBX go from Currituck to Ocracoke.

Near North Topsail, there's North Shore. See Tanner's thread below about it. River Landing in Wallace might be your nearest great course.

Post edited by bermuda on
  • DCMorgan89DCMorgan89 Members Posts: 46 ✭✭

No worries, thanks for the info. I'll give one of the two a go.

• dont rory be happydont rory be happy Members Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

Check out Nags Head Golf Links

• bermudabermuda Members Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dont rory be happy said:
    Check out Nags Head Golf Links

He's at North Topsail, not Dare County.

• MyShortGameSucksMyShortGameSucks His doesn't.... Members Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 17, 2019 11:29pm #8

We are in North Topsail right now. Weather has been great and we are very much enjoying our time down here! So far my son and I have played North Shore CC and Castle Bay. Going to play Cape Fear National tomorrow.

North Shore is a solid layout but it was really soggy when we played. It’s about 10 mins from where we are staying. Really liked the back 9 better. Will try to play again one more time just because it’s so convenient,

CastleBay looks good on the web-site and it’s about 25 mins from where we are staying. It tries to make out it’s a Scotish links design. It’s not. Just overall found it a bit meh and less than inspiring. The drivable last hole is fun though. Also did not really like the vibe there but that’s probably just me being a golf snob!

Playing Cape Fear National tomorrow. Not exactly close (1 hour away) . Really Looking forward to that as I have enjoyed Tim Cate courses ( Tigers Eye and Leopards Chase) and layout looks great.

Titleist TS3 9.5 deg, Evenflow White S
    Titleist TS3 15 deg, Diamana S+ 80x
    Titleist 816H1 19 deg, Fuji 88H
    Titleist 816H2 23 deg, Fuji 88H
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW, Nippon Modus 105x
    Mizuno S18, 50, 54, 60 deg Nippon Modus 120s
    SC Golo 5 / SC Notchback
    Titleist Pro V1x
  • MyShortGameSucksMyShortGameSucks His doesn't.... Members Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

So played Cape Fear National yesterday. Have to say that while it was an enjoyable day the course does not in anyway live up to the hype. Greens were great but I really found the course layout underwhelming. Really disliked that goofy 13th hole with the waste bunker up the right that then flows in front of the green! Finishing on a par 3 never feels right to me either.

Given all the ratings love for CFN, I was assuming the course was on the same level as the best in MB and surrounding area e.g Tidewater, Rivers Edge, Glen Dornoch, True Blue etc. I guess I assumed wrong! Staying with the MB comparison i’d put it Mid-tier like a Legands Parkland or The Witch - that kind of level.

Anyone agree/disagree?

Steve

Titleist TS3 9.5 deg, Evenflow White S
    Titleist TS3 15 deg, Diamana S+ 80x
    Titleist 816H1 19 deg, Fuji 88H
    Titleist 816H2 23 deg, Fuji 88H
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW, Nippon Modus 105x
    Mizuno S18, 50, 54, 60 deg Nippon Modus 120s
    SC Golo 5 / SC Notchback
    Titleist Pro V1x
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The greater Wilmington area is not that great for public golf. Some really good privates, though.

Titleist 917D2
    Callaway Rogue 4-wood
    Callaway 2018 MB irons
    Callaway MD4 wedges
    NIKE Method Mod 60 putter
  • razor_1razor_1 Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

@BMC said:
    The greater Wilmington area is not that great for public golf. Some really good privates, though.

As far as quantity...agree. However, the Ross muni is one of the best public facilities you will find- anywhere. Beware, the volume of play reflects that.
    Staying in Topsail, North Shore is your closest. Camp Lejune is also open to the public. Just stop at the gate house and get a pass (ID, Registration, Proof of Insurance). One really good layout, and one ok layout- 36 holes.

Cobra F6+ 12 deg, Cobra F6+1 Hybrid, Cobra F6 3,4,5 hybrid, Mizuno 850 6-PW, Cleveland Classic GW 46, Wilson Staff FG copper SW 52, Vokey SW 56, Odyssey Versa, Callaway Chrome Soft.

• ratdg1ratdg1 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 325 ✭✭

Second Nags Head. Take extra balls, and call the course beforehand. If they tell you the weather is "still" or "calm," that means the wind is only blowing about 20 miles per hour. If they say its breezy, that means it's gale force winds.

Ping G410 9*
    Tour Edge EXS 3w, 5w
    Ping i210 4-U
    Ping Glide Stealth 54, 60
    Bettinardi BB0
    Srixon Q-Star Tour
    Ping Hoofer

• ALTSeanALTSean VirginiaMembers Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Any recent updates on course conditions? I'm headed to the Outer Banks next week and would like to get a round or two in. Thanks!

• Prof3ssorProf3ssor Hit it, find it, hit it again! Members Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ALTSean said:
    Any recent updates on course conditions? I'm headed to the Outer Banks next week and would like to get a round or two in. Thanks!

Let me know where you ended up playing if you don't mind. I'm headed down on the 17th. I always play Kilmarlic at least once and look to try and get another round in somewhere else.

Cobra ZL - AD DI
    TM Mini Driver
    M6 Hybrid
    P790 4-PW
    Vokey SM7's
    Newport 2
  • lazyjc4lazyjc4 Members Posts: 880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone know how the OBX courses held up to Dorian? Guessing those on the island got it a lot worse than those across the bridge?

Srixon Z565 8.5 Attas Elements Prototype
    TM GAPR Hi 17.5* Speeder Tourspec HB 9.8 
    TM GAPR Mid 19* Hzrdus Black 
    Hogan PTx 21*, 25*,29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45* S300
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54* S200
    PM Grind 58* KBS Hi-Rev
    Bettinardi B55 Counterbalanced 38"
    Titleist AVX or Srixon Z-Star
  • Johnny BiarritzJohnny Biarritz Members Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lazyjc4 said:
    Anyone know how the OBX courses held up to Dorian? Guessing those on the island got it a lot worse than those across the bridge?

I've spoken to a number of friends and family down there and there was fairly limited damage. Mostly just pine straw, leaves, and small limbs.

• lazyjc4lazyjc4 Members Posts: 880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, I saw where Kilmarlic re-opened just a few days after the storm blew through, so that was encouraging.

Srixon Z565 8.5 Attas Elements Prototype
    TM GAPR Hi 17.5* Speeder Tourspec HB 9.8 
    TM GAPR Mid 19* Hzrdus Black 
    Hogan PTx 21*, 25*,29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45* S300
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54* S200
    PM Grind 58* KBS Hi-Rev
    Bettinardi B55 Counterbalanced 38"
    Titleist AVX or Srixon Z-Star

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights