I hate the "Leaving the flag in" rule

jmtbkrjmtbkr Palm Beach GardensMembers Posts: 777 ✭✭
edited Mar 30, 2019 12:34am in Rules of Golf and Etiquette #1

Stupid rule!
I personally pull each time I putt. I understand why some like it.
Doesn't seem to speed the game along at all. Mostly, it ruins the carefully sculpted hole from people who try to pull the ball out without decent finger dexterity. We have alot of senior members at my club and many have problems retrieving the ball, use ball grabbers on the end of their putters and severely dent the cup edges.
Who came up with this idea? they should be hung by their shorthairs!

Callaway Rogue 12.5* Synergy 60S
Callaway Diablo 2hyb
Callaway X20 3-SW
Scotty Cameron California Fastback
Supersoft
Post edited by Buzzkill on

Comments

• sui generissui generis Members Posts: 3,800 ✭✭

@BrianMcG said:
    This is the first I have heard. Was there a rule change?

He might be just catching up with the 1956 Rules change.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members Posts: 1,595 ✭✭

I’ve played twice this week and tried it both ways. It didn’t seem to be that different for me.

Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Speedline Super LS
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Adams XTD 4-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,680 ✭✭

Doesn't speed up play, especially if some in the group like it out and others in.

Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS
    G 410 19* Tour 85 R
    Apex  23 & 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s (In Play) / Srixon Z765 6-GW Modus 105s (Standing By)
    MackDaddy4 Black 54 S and RTX 3 Raw 58* 
     Bettinardi '16 BB1 / '16 Bettinardi Tiki /  '17 Studio Stock 8
    Chrome Soft / TP5/ Wilson Staff FG Tour
  • TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 432 ✭✭

Awkward moment for whoever's closest to the flag... To pull or not to pull?

• CAT GOLFERCAT GOLFER Members Posts: 918 ✭✭

i, personally, feel this will speed up my rounds when I play alone, and think it would be the same for others doing the same. I also, agree that having a mixed group does slow things down.

• sbjinxsbjinx Orange CountyMembers Posts: 2,426 ✭✭

If people are using ball grabbers with the flag still in they should be hung by their short hair. I’ve played plenty of rounds this year with the flag in and everyone I’ve played with seem to like the new rule.

Callaway Epic SZ - Project X Smoke
    TM M2 15* - Diamana S Ltd
    Callaway Apex - 19*
    Bridgestone J15 - 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 - 52* & 58*
    Spider X

• SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members Posts: 910 ✭✭

Doesn’t seem to make much difference to me when I play 9 alone, but it tends to speed things up when others are also on the green!!!

• nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,588 ✭✭

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-4 48, 52, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 56* DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3, 64 DGS300

Evnroll 1.2 (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,534 ClubWRX

@CAT GOLFER said:
    i, personally, feel this will speed up my rounds when I play alone, and think it would be the same for others doing the same. I also, agree that having a mixed group does slow things down.

You have been able to leave the pin in when playing as a single ever since the RBs disallowed singles posting scores for handicap purposes. As far as the RBs are concerned playing as a single is "practicing" by definition. You can do anything you want.

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX in yellow
  • playmuchplaymuch Members Posts: 967 ✭✭

100% has quickened my rounds this year. Our Sunday 4 ball is playing at least 20 minutes quicker.

• Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 8,972 ✭✭

Everyone in my group(s) have decided to leave it in at all times and I love it!

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • Steele47Steele47 Members Posts: 1,304 ✭✭

Well I don't know about the hanging by the shorthairs bit, but they may deserve a stern talking to!

• SawgrassSawgrass Members Posts: 14,921 ✭✭

@ThinkingPlus said:

@CAT GOLFER said:

You have been able to leave the pin in when playing as a single ever since the RBs disallowed singles posting scores for handicap purposes. As far as the RBs are concerned playing as a single is "practicing" by definition. You can do anything you want.

What you are "able" to do (legally) doesn't change whether you're going to post or not. The choice to play by the rules remains, and now the solo golfer doesn't have to pull that pin that's 40 feet away and putt while he/she is unable to see a target. A nice plus.

@Sawgrass said:

@ThinkingPlus said:

@CAT GOLFER said:

What you are "able" to do (legally) doesn't change whether you're going to post or not. The choice to play by the rules remains, and now the solo golfer doesn't have to pull that pin that's 40 feet away and putt while he/she is unable to see a target. A nice plus.

LOL! Sure. If the RBs won't let me post then why bother? Play multiple balls, take practice putts after a hole, drop how you want, ... it really doesn't make a difference.

• IamMarkMacIamMarkMac SF Bay AreaMembers Posts: 671 ✭✭

@jmtbkr said:
    Stupid rule!
    Doesn't seem to speed the game along at all. Mostly, it ruins the carefully sculpted hole from people who try to pull the ball out without decent finger dexterity. We have alot of senior members at my club and many have problems retrieving the ball, use ball grabbers on the end of their putters and severely dent the cup edges.

The problem here is not leaving the flag in. The problem is people using ball grabbers and denting the cup edge. Someone can dent a cup edge with the flag out and actually, even without a ball grabber.
    I like the flag out but keep it in because of pace of play. I have a hard time believing any stories about this slowing things down.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
    Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
    Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
    Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
    Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
    Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

@ThinkingPlus said:

@Sawgrass said:

@ThinkingPlus said:

@CAT GOLFER said:

LOL! Sure. If the RBs won't let me post then why bother? Play multiple balls, take practice putts after a hole, drop how you want, ... it really doesn't make a difference.

To me, playing by the rules is its own reward. And I often compete with friends during the non-handicap-posting season in Connecticut, so playing by the rules is an obligation as well as a pleasure.

If you are playing as a single it has been defined as on-course practice no matter when you play. If you are playing in a group, playing by the rules is required. The weird seasonal posting stuff is just an aberration and not part of the discussion.

@ThinkingPlus said:
    If you are playing as a single it has been defined as on-course practice no matter when you play. If you are playing in a group, playing by the rules is required. The weird seasonal posting stuff is just an aberration and not part of the discussion.

1) There's nothing "weird" about seasonal posting, and it's part of the discussion because I brought it into the discussion.
    2) One can play by the rules as a single with complete satisfaction with one's score if one chooses. Show me where it's "defined" as "practice."
    3) Playing by the rules is never "required" irrespective of how many people you're playing with.

I believe we have differing points of view. Sure, practice as a single if that's what you want. But it's not required.

@Sawgrass said:

@ThinkingPlus said:

1) There's nothing "weird" about seasonal posting, and it's part of the discussion because I brought it into the discussion.
    2) One can play by the rules as a single with complete satisfaction with one's score if one chooses. Show me where it's "defined" as "practice."
    3) Playing by the rules is never "required" irrespective of how many people you're playing with.

I believe we have differing points of view. Sure, practice as a single if that's what you want. But it's not required.

When the RBs prevented singles from posting scores that is essentially the same as designating the round of golf played as a single (without a marker) as "practice". It was an insulting change to the handicap system. Basically single golfers are pretty much being branded as sandbaggers whether they were or not. You are correct about playing by the rules not being required. If you keep an RB sanctioned handicap you are supposed to play by the rules, but I guess you don't have to.

• SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers Posts: 2,188 ✭✭

@Timbo929 said:

No awkward moment needed. No touchy the flag until someone asks.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,268 ✭✭

I love the leaving the flag in rule! Wife and I play most rounds as a 2 some, really speeds up our round.

• Mr. BeanMr. Bean Members Posts: 3,876 ✭✭

@ThinkingPlus said:

@Sawgrass said:

@ThinkingPlus said:

When the RBs prevented singles from posting scores that is essentially the same as designating the round of golf played as a single (without a marker) as "practice". It was an insulting change to the handicap system. Basically single golfers are pretty much being branded as sandbaggers whether they were or not. You are correct about playing by the rules not being required. If you keep an RB sanctioned handicap you are supposed to play by the rules, but I guess you don't have to.

To be pedantic, only USGA has allowed singles to post handicap scores. In R&A jurisdiction that is and has not been allowed (maybe in Australia, I am not sure of them). Besides, R&A has little to do with handicaps in Europe, that is mainly the responsibility of EGA.

Afa practice rounds are concerned in EGA and CONGU systems one can play one's round according to the Rules without posting the result. Personally I do not feel that is a practice round. If I really want to practice on the course I may play several balls from one spot just to try different shots. That IMO is practice. Then again, this is hardly an important issue to be debated about, there is no right or wrong.

• SoCalTitleistSoCalTitleist Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭

@Timbo929 said:

Exactly this! Half the guys still want it in , then when you play with strangers and not familiar if they want it in or out .

• wobgonwobgon Members Posts: 7,498 ✭✭

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed before.....

• Mr. BeanMr. Bean Members Posts: 3,876 ✭✭

@wobgon said:
    I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed before.....

And such an important subject!

• sui generissui generis Members Posts: 3,800 ✭✭

@SoCalTitleist said:

@Timbo929 said:

Exactly this! Half the guys still want it in , then when you play with strangers and not familiar if they want it in or out .

It's a nightmare. I find it takes about 7 seconds when the group reaches the first green for someone to ask if we're flagsticks in today and reach an agreement.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • ImpImp Fueled Members Posts: 5,951 ✭✭

@jmtbkr said:
    Stupid rule!

I would simply suggest for those that want to use grabbers/suction to pull the flag first and THEN use the grabber/suction and put the flag back instead of trying to get it out with the flag still in the hole.

--kC

Callaway Fusion / RBZ 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Callaway MD3 52*, 58*, 64*
  • ImpImp Fueled Members Posts: 5,951 ✭✭
    edited Apr 1, 2019 11:59am #31

@sui generis said:

@SoCalTitleist said:

@Timbo929 said:

It's a nightmare. I find it takes about 7 seconds when the group reaches the first green for someone to ask if we're flagsticks in today and reach an agreement.

Come one Sui, you know better. Used to be known as waiving a rule of golf? Now covered in 2019 Rule 1.3.b.(1):

If two or more players deliberately agree to ignore any Rule or penalty they know applies and any of those players have started the round, they are disqualified (even if they have not yet acted on the agreement).

While I get what you're trying to do/suggest, it is against the RoG to come to agreement as to pre-determine the status of the flag on each hole before, and while, playing. Just like saying "all good within 8 feet".

Callaway Fusion / RBZ 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Callaway MD3 52*, 58*, 64*