Sergio Garcia Match Play Tap-In

Another week, another Sergio blowup. Does anyone see any justification for the explosion today after he botched that tap in? Kuchar has taken a lot of heat, and rightly so, for the caddie payment, but I do not think he did anything wrong here. Sergio is now a 39 year old father and husband, I think it’s time for him to grow up.

[b]Driver[/b]: [color=#0000ff]TM SIM 9*, Fuji Ventus Black 6X[/color]
[b]Fairway Wood: [color=#0000ff]TM SIM 14*, Fuji Ventus Blue 7X[/color]
[b]Hybrid[/b]: [color=#0000ff]TM SIM Max 19*, Tensei Pro White 90S[/color]
[b]4-9 iron[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Miura CB57, KBS C-Taper Lite X[/color] 
[b]PW, GW[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Titleist SM8, KBS C-Taper Lite X[/color]
[b]Sand, Lob[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Titleist SM8, Dynamic Gold 120 S400 Tour Issue[/color]
[b]Putter[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Toulon Las Vegas, Stroke Lab[/color] 
[b]Ball[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Titleist ProV1, Titleist AVX

This was Kuchar engaging in gamesmanship. He saw Sergio miss the put but did not concede the put when it missed. "Sergio I saw missed it. And as I looked up again, I saw he had missed the next one."-Kuchar. What? So Kuchar had time to look away but not time to say the put was good!? That seems a little shady. And I do not agree he did not have time to concede the Putt. Sergio watched the put miss then casually walked up and backhanded the ball. Then it was Kuchar who went to the rules official to let him know what happened. If he truly wanted to concede the putt Kuchar could have walked on to the next hole not said anything and let it be. Nobody was going to make it an issue until Kuchar made it an issue. In the end Sergio needs to make sure putts are conceded and know who he is playing against because some players are more likely to use shady tactics to gain an advantage. Kuchar is one of those players and he should know better.

A concession is a gift from your opponent. You are not entitled to a gift. Play accordingly, and don't worry about whether you're being dealt with fairly.

It's possible that Sergio didn't wish to look up to see if his short putt was going to be conceded because "asking" in that way would look pretty weak. He could have attempted to pop it in instead and be done with it, and made a clumsy move.

If this had to happen, it certainly happened to the right player.

• Like 1

> @ivsa71 said:

> If he truly wanted to concede the putt Kuchar could have walked on to the next hole not said anything and let it be. Nobody was going to make it an issue until Kuchar made it an issue. In the end Sergio needs to make sure putts are conceded and know who he is playing against because some players are more likely to use shady tactics to gain an advantage. Kuchar is one of those players and he should know better.

No gamesmanship. No shady tactic. Just a stupid hot-headed mistake by Sergio. Everybody in golf knows that no putt is conceded until your opponent says it is. If Sergio thought the putt was conceded, why did he putt it?

BTW, if Kucher had walked to the next tee without saying anything it would not have changed the results. Saying nothing does not concede the putt.

• Like 1

This is not a discussion, all of this is on Sergio. Is anyone surprised by this? Kuch is not supposed to lie to the official and say he gave him the putt, its just that simple. Kuch did nothing wrong and Sergio will not grow up.

• Like 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

old green logo.jpeg

> @ivsa71 said:

> This was Kuchar engaging in gamesmanship. He saw Sergio miss the put but did not concede the put when it missed. "Sergio I saw missed it. And as I looked up again, I saw he had missed the next one."-Kuchar. What? So Kuchar had time to look away but not time to say the put was good!? That seems a little shady. And I do not agree he did not have time to concede the Putt. Sergio watched the put miss then casually walked up and backhanded the ball. Then it was Kuchar who went to the rules official to let him know what happened. If he truly wanted to concede the putt Kuchar could have walked on to the next hole not said anything and let it be. Nobody was going to make it an issue until Kuchar made it an issue. In the end Sergio needs to make sure putts are conceded and know who he is playing against because some players are more likely to use shady tactics to gain an advantage. Kuchar is one of those players and he should know better.

Congratulations on the Sunday Ridiculous Theory award.

• Like 3

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/26399869/blame-missed-tap-me

> Despite the apparent tension within the match, Garcia backed away from any controversy after it.

> "It's quite simple: I screwed it up, it's as simple as that," he said. "Obviously I missed my putt and I kind of tapped it with the back of my putter before he said anything. It's a loss of hole. I understand that.

> "There are many options that you can do if you don't want to take the hole, even though I've already lost that hole. But obviously he didn't like any of the options that were there. It's fine. At the end of the day, I'm the one who made the mistake."

As with any time he blows up (which is almost ALWAYS on a green for some reason? Putter slam?, tossing putters), there's always an apology shortly following. If you have to keep apologizing, one should really consider therapy. I remember when he had to apologize to me. I was working the board on 18 at Deutchebank at TPC Boston during the championship, and he had to take a pee. He couldn't wait. So he ducked behind the board, and said "Sorry, waited long enough." He's gotten into a pattern of putting himself into situations where he thinks a simple apology fixes all. So, add me to another in the long list of "sorrys".

--kC

• Like 1

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

> @Imp said:

> http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/26399869/blame-missed-tap-me

>

> > Despite the apparent tension within the match, Garcia backed away from any controversy after it.

>

> > "It's quite simple: I screwed it up, it's as simple as that," he said. "Obviously I missed my putt and I kind of tapped it with the back of my putter before he said anything. It's a loss of hole. I understand that.

>

> > "There are many options that you can do if you don't want to take the hole, even though I've already lost that hole. But obviously he didn't like any of the options that were there. It's fine. At the end of the day, I'm the one who made the mistake."

> As with any time he blows up (which is almost ALWAYS on a green for some reason? Putter slam?, tossing putters), there's always an apology shortly following. If you have to keep apologizing, one should really consider therapy. I remember when he had to apologize to me. I was working the board on 18 at Deutchebank at TPC Boston during the championship, and he had to take a pee. He couldn't wait. So he ducked behind the board, and said "Sorry, waited long enough." He's gotten into a pattern of putting himself into situations where he thinks a simple apology fixes all. So, add me to another in the long list of "sorrys".

>

> --kC

I'll add that the quoted "apology" includes Sergio's effort to inform readers that his opponent did not take it upon himself to undo Sergio's blunder. Now, I wonder why he bothered to comment on that . . .

• Like 1

> @Sawgrass said:

> > @Imp said:

> > http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/26399869/blame-missed-tap-me

> >

> > > Despite the apparent tension within the match, Garcia backed away from any controversy after it.

> >

> > > "It's quite simple: I screwed it up, it's as simple as that," he said. "Obviously I missed my putt and I kind of tapped it with the back of my putter before he said anything. It's a loss of hole. I understand that.

> >

> > > "There are many options that you can do if you don't want to take the hole, even though I've already lost that hole. But obviously he didn't like any of the options that were there. It's fine. At the end of the day, I'm the one who made the mistake."

> > As with any time he blows up (which is almost ALWAYS on a green for some reason? Putter slam?, tossing putters), there's always an apology shortly following. If you have to keep apologizing, one should really consider therapy. I remember when he had to apologize to me. I was working the board on 18 at Deutchebank at TPC Boston during the championship, and he had to take a pee. He couldn't wait. So he ducked behind the board, and said "Sorry, waited long enough." He's gotten into a pattern of putting himself into situations where he thinks a simple apology fixes all. So, add me to another in the long list of "sorrys".

> >

> > --kC

>

> I'll add that the quoted "apology" includes Sergio's effort to inform readers that his opponent did not take it upon himself to undo Sergio's blunder. Now, I wonder why he bothered to comment on that . . .

How would you undo a blunder that I'm 100% responsible for? More importantly, WHY would you feel compelled to undo something that I did to myself?

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @ivsa71 said:

> > If he truly wanted to concede the putt Kuchar could have walked on to the next hole not said anything and let it be. Nobody was going to make it an issue until Kuchar made it an issue. In the end Sergio needs to make sure putts are conceded and know who he is playing against because some players are more likely to use shady tactics to gain an advantage. Kuchar is one of those players and he should know better.

>

> No gamesmanship. No shady tactic. Just a stupid hot-headed mistake by Sergio. Everybody in golf knows that no putt is conceded until your opponent says it is. If Sergio thought the putt was conceded, why did he putt it?

>

> BTW, if Kucher had walked to the next tee without saying anything it would not have changed the results. Saying nothing does not concede the putt.

>

> Actually not true. The official had thought the putt was conceded. On the telecast you can hear him state hole was tied. It was Kuchar who brought the issue up to the official. As he has a right to do. The point is if he truly did not want to win the hole in that fashion he could have just moved on to the next hole and not made an issue about it.

> @buckeyefl said:

> > @ivsa71 said:

> > This was Kuchar engaging in gamesmanship. He saw Sergio miss the put but did not concede the put when it missed. "Sergio I saw missed it. And as I looked up again, I saw he had missed the next one."-Kuchar. What? So Kuchar had time to look away but not time to say the put was good!? That seems a little shady. And I do not agree he did not have time to concede the Putt. Sergio watched the put miss then casually walked up and backhanded the ball. Then it was Kuchar who went to the rules official to let him know what happened. If he truly wanted to concede the putt Kuchar could have walked on to the next hole not said anything and let it be. Nobody was going to make it an issue until Kuchar made it an issue. In the end Sergio needs to make sure putts are conceded and know who he is playing against because some players are more likely to use shady tactics to gain an advantage. Kuchar is one of those players and he should know better.

>

> Congratulations on the Sunday Ridiculous Theory award.

Typical Wrxers, never reading a post completely. I never tried to justify Sergios actions. The point I am making is that if Kuchar truly wanted to concede the put he could have conceded the put as soon as it missed the hole. Kuchar chose to watch the putt miss, then look away and then look back again to see what Sergio did. Kuchar states this. "Sergio I saw missed it. And as I looked up again, I saw he had missed the next one."-Kuchar. This is the same as waiting to see if Sergio would just scoop up the ball after missing the put and if he doesn't then he says it is good. This is gamesmanship plain and simple. I think it is shady to play this way others may not. And if you think Kuchar is above this you are the most Ridiculous Credulous Wrxer award.

> @ivsa71 said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > @ivsa71 said:

> > > If he truly wanted to concede the putt Kuchar could have walked on to the next hole not said anything and let it be. Nobody was going to make it an issue until Kuchar made it an issue. In the end Sergio needs to make sure putts are conceded and know who he is playing against because some players are more likely to use shady tactics to gain an advantage. Kuchar is one of those players and he should know better.

> >

> > No gamesmanship. No shady tactic. Just a stupid hot-headed mistake by Sergio. Everybody in golf knows that no putt is conceded until your opponent says it is. If Sergio thought the putt was conceded, why did he putt it?

> >

> > BTW, if Kucher had walked to the next tee without saying anything it would not have changed the results. Saying nothing does not concede the putt.

> >

> > Actually not true. The official had thought the putt was conceded. On the telecast you can hear him state hole was tied. It was Kuchar who brought the issue up to the official. As he has a right to do. The point is if he truly did not want to win the hole in that fashion he could have just moved on to the next hole and not made an issue about it.

> > @buckeyefl said:

> > > @ivsa71 said:

> > > This was Kuchar engaging in gamesmanship. He saw Sergio miss the put but did not concede the put when it missed. "Sergio I saw missed it. And as I looked up again, I saw he had missed the next one."-Kuchar. What? So Kuchar had time to look away but not time to say the put was good!? That seems a little shady. And I do not agree he did not have time to concede the Putt. Sergio watched the put miss then casually walked up and backhanded the ball. Then it was Kuchar who went to the rules official to let him know what happened. If he truly wanted to concede the putt Kuchar could have walked on to the next hole not said anything and let it be. Nobody was going to make it an issue until Kuchar made it an issue. In the end Sergio needs to make sure putts are conceded and know who he is playing against because some players are more likely to use shady tactics to gain an advantage. Kuchar is one of those players and he should know better.

> >

> > Congratulations on the Sunday Ridiculous Theory award.

>

> Typical Wrxers, never reading a post completely. I never tried to justify Sergios actions. The point I am making is that if Kuchar truly wanted to concede the put he could have conceded the put as soon as it missed the hole. Kuchar chose to watch the putt miss, then look away and then look back again to see what Sergio did. Kuchar states this. "Sergio I saw missed it. And as I looked up again, I saw he had missed the next one."-Kuchar. This is the same as waiting to see if Sergio would just scoop up the ball after missing the put and if he doesn't then he says it is good. This is gamesmanship plain and simple. I think it is shady to play this way others may not. And if you think Kuchar is above this you are the most Ridiculous Credulous Wrxer award.

>

You seriously think Kuchar was waiting to see if Sergio missed a 5 inch putt to try and bait him into missing the come-backer?

• Like 1

Agreed. How many times do we watch our competitor putt, every single putt? We sometimes are walking away, looking at our books, recording our scores, putting away clubs, etc... and may glance over our shoulder, but that's about it. If Sergio gave a little more time for Kuchar to look, he may have said "good", but Sergio went and swatted at it really quick without much time passing for Kuchar to a) notice b) say anything. Again, it's on Sergio.

• Like 1

Well Kuchar said he SAW Sergio had miss the putt. He was NOT looking away when Sergio missed the first putt. How much time does it take to say thats good, or good? Putts of a couple of inches are almost always given instantly. And if they are not it is gamesmanship. Why would Kuchar watch the putt miss then look away and not concede the putt? Also, Sergio did not rush up and scrape the ball away. He bent over in frustration, then walked 8-10 feet. then leaned over and scraped at the ball in frustration. So all of you are telling me Kuchar did not have the time to say good!? Please.

@LeoLeo99 I would surmise Kuchar either wanted to force Sergio to ask for the putt to be conceded or Kuchar wanted to see if Sergio would let his temper get the better of him and just pick up the ball or hit it away.

And as I stated before regardless of what and why Kuchar may have done something, it is all on Sergio for losing the hole because of his actions. But for the fact that Kuchar stated that he saw the first putt miss and he chose not to conceded the putt right away to me is gamesmanship. Why would he wait to concede the putt and look away?

> @ivsa71 said:

> Well Kuchar said he SAW Sergio had miss the putt. He was NOT looking away when Sergio missed the first putt. How much time does it take to say thats good, or good? Putts of a couple of inches are almost always given instantly. And if they are not it is gamesmanship. Why would Kuchar watch the putt miss then look away and not concede the putt? Also, Sergio did not rush up and scrape the ball away. He bent over in frustration, then walked 8-10 feet. then leaned over and scraped at the ball in frustration. So all of you are telling me Kuchar did not have the time to say good!? Please.

>

> @LeoLeo99 I would surmise Kuchar either wanted to force Sergio to ask for the putt to be conceded or Kuchar wanted to see if Sergio would let his temper get the better of him and just pick up the ball or hit it away.

>

> And as I stated before regardless of what and why Kuchar may have done something, it is all on Sergio for losing the hole because of his actions. But for the fact that Kuchar stated that he saw the first putt miss and he chose not to conceded the putt right away to me is gamesmanship. Why would he wait to concede the putt and look away?

You forgot the part where Kuchar used his evil mind control powers to force Sergio to use the back side of his putter so he would miss the tap-in.

If I ever play Kuchar, I'm wearing a tinfoil golf hat.

• Like 1

A genuine question for the experts in this forum:

What happens if Kuchar doesn't bring up the fact that he'd not had a chance to verbally concede the putt & they both just walk to the next tee and play as if the putt had been conceded? Does the official intervene somewhere and ask if the putt had been conceded?

Not saying Sergio is in the right here, but according to all the articles and analysis out this morning, Kuchar still could have given the putt, but instead chose to seek out a rules official. Could Sergio have handled it better? Absolutely. Nevertheless, it's very telling that Kuchar would want to win a hole that way. Tons of respect lost for Kuchar so far this season, and it's getting easier and easier to believe that he is a fraud.

• Like 1

> @"John Kreese" said:

> Not saying Sergio is in the right here, but according to all the articles and analysis out this morning, Kuchar still could have given the putt, but instead chose to seek out a rules official. Could Sergio have handled it better? Absolutely. Nevertheless, it's very telling that Kuchar would want to win a hole that way. Tons of respect lost for Kuchar so far this season, and it's getting easier and easier to believe that he is a fraud.

If you are saying that you're reading that Kuchar could have given that short putt after it had already been missed, you're reading the wrong people.

And how on earth does Kuchar's having Sergio play by the rules make Kuchar a fraud?

• Like 1

> @Almostscratchonce said:

> A genuine question for the experts in this forum:

> What happens if Kuchar doesn't bring up the fact that he'd not had a chance to verbally concede the putt & they both just walk to the next tee and play as if the putt had been conceded? Does the official intervene somewhere and ask if the putt had been conceded?

If there is a ref assigned to a match play group, he must insist that the rules be followed accurately. He should announce the state of the match after each hole to give the players an opportunity to correct any misunderstandings. If the players both deliberately agree to stay silent on the matter of an incorrect score they know violates the rules, they should both be DQ.

> @Sawgrass said:

> > @"John Kreese" said:

> > Not saying Sergio is in the right here, but according to all the articles and analysis out this morning, Kuchar still could have given the putt, but instead chose to seek out a rules official. Could Sergio have handled it better? Absolutely. Nevertheless, it's very telling that Kuchar would want to win a hole that way. Tons of respect lost for Kuchar so far this season, and it's getting easier and easier to believe that he is a fraud.

>

> If you are saying that you're reading that Kuchar could have given that short putt after it had already been missed, you're reading the wrong people.

>

> And how on earth does Kuchar's having Sergio play by the rules make Kuchar a fraud?

Not sure what you mean - there's lots of different opinions on this (https://www.golf.com/news/2019/04/01/tour-confidential-could-the-sergio-garcia-matt-kuchar-concession-controversy-have-been-avoided/). Kuchar could have conceded the putt and instead brought in the rules official. Also, I didn't say Kuchar was a fraud - said it's becoming easier to believe that based on his tipping debacle and the fact that he would prefer to win a hole by not conceding a 4" putt. He comes off as a happy-go-lucky Ned Flanders type of guy, but that's clearly not the case.

> @Sawgrass said:

> > @Almostscratchonce said:

> > A genuine question for the experts in this forum:

> > What happens if Kuchar doesn't bring up the fact that he'd not had a chance to verbally concede the putt & they both just walk to the next tee and play as if the putt had been conceded? Does the official intervene somewhere and ask if the putt had been conceded?

>

>

> If there is a ref assigned to a match play group, he must insist that the rules be followed accurately. He should announce the state of the match after each hole to give the players an opportunity to correct any misunderstandings. If the players both deliberately agree to stay silent on the matter of an incorrect score they know violates the rules, they should both be DQ.

If the ref called the hole for Sergio and Kuch stayed silent, I don't see a DQ. Do you?