2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Father’s Day, what do you do?

Kevlar10

Father’s Day is usislly the worst day for me. Every year I drop hints that I’d like to play a round, just one round, on that day. I’ve even suggested that my two sons go with me and we’d have a great day. Every FD morning I wake up with the hope that this will be the year. NEVER happens. Since when has Father’s Day become a day about children? It is in my wife’s opinion. It’s actially the day, I spend the entire day playing with the kids, doing what they want, while my wife spends the day doing what she wants sans kids. Last year, I finally had the “bright idea” to go to the local par three, with the family. I get up, excited to share my plan and it almost immediately goes awry. At breakfast, I unveil my plan an the wife announces, she’s going shopping with her sisters, so my idea is great. She’ll be out spending unnecessary money while I take our kids (ages, 12, 9, and 3) to the pitch and putt for some fun with dad. My daughter, age 3 is ecstatic. Anyway, long story short, it was the most exhausting 2 1/2 hours of my entire life.

In my situation, Father’s Day is anything but a day for Dad.

Thoughts?

I’m lucky enough that my Dad & father in law are both still around so we try to plan around doing something with them. I’ll usually try to get a round in Saturday which I think is better than Sunday. I recall golfing once years ago on Fathers Day & it seemed like every yahoo that goes out once a year picks that day.

At this point my kids are grown and they usually take me golfing, drink beer and smoke cigars. It's the fathers day that is about what the father likes to do. When they are little it's not about the father its about the kids. Baseball tournaments and "what does dad want to do today"? As long as its what the kids want to do. Suggest that its your day and you want to go to the track or golfing with your buddies and you will be the heal in your wife and kids eyes. Go with the flow and try to make the best of it.

Don't you dare leave the kids alone with Mom on mothers day, but that's another story on the double standard:)

My wife takes me to the PGA Superstore and we spend money. Kids live out of state now so they call.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Father’s Day, and Mother’s Day, are like normal days for us. We have kids (7 and 12) in sports so we usually have something going on and a game to be at. If I’m lucky I’ll catch the last 5 or 6 holes of the US Open with a beer and a seat on the couch. And, to be honest, I’m perfectly fine with that. I like celebrating Father’s Day by being a dad.

I do nothing on Fathers Day. Absolutely, nothing. The wife and daughter leave the house and I walk around in my underware all day, nap and watch golf. It's glorious.

Then around 7, they come home and we go out for a steak.

• Like 1

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

Father's Day tradition at our house is that I go play my usual 18 holes in the AM, come home and then park my butt in front of the TV to watch the final round of the US Open. My wife cooks steak dinner and we eat in front of the TV as the round finishes.

We've been doing this for a long time. The kids are out of the house now but we started it when they were 10 and 6 IIRC.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Watch the entire final round of the US open.

• Like 1

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

It's grilling and watching the US Open with the in-laws for me anymore. My father in law and I get in a few rounds every year, so golf isn't the priority on Father's Day. It's always a pleasant evening.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

With the kids all gone I now play an afternoon round of golf returning in time to catch the end of the US Open. Early evening is family time if any of my kids can make it along with a barbecue, a good scotch, and a cigar. When my children were home Mother's Day was about the only Spring/Summer holiday that golf (or fly fishing) was out of the question.

Father's day is all about the dad, like Mother's day is all about the mom. I ask my wife what she would like to do on her day and she asks the same thing of me, simple. I have two children, one who plays golf, and my wife plays as well. Golf late morning with my son and wife, sometimes she only plays nine in order to get home and get cooking with our daughter. Then my parents come over and we enjoy watching some US Open and then dinner.

I avoid the courses on Father's Day like I avoid Times Square on New Year's Eve! It's amateur hour! I also have a deal with my wife and she lets me play on Mother's Day

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

I don't play golf on Father's Day. I spend it with my kids and watch the final round of the US Open...most of it anyways. The only thing I ask for is to let me sleep in till 9 or so.

OP - what do you do for your wife on Mother's Day? I think you should leave the kids with her and play golf since she basically does the same thing to you.

shouldn't be too much competition for my time at dawn so a sunrise round is quite possible.

lunchtime with family. wave goodbye about three, mix a drink, catch the Open.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

I'm surprised how many dads don't get to do what they want. I love Fathers Day. The last two years I've had to work but when I'm off its my day to do what I want and it usually looks the same. I wake up before the kids and go meet my Uncle, Grandpa and (another dad). We play 18 holes and have a beer. After the round I pick up the family and we go to someones house for a cookout and I'm having a nice big steak. We usually go to the in-laws, or grandparents and sometimes we host. Beers for everyone and final round of the US Open on the TV.

Funny thread. Definitely on Mother’s Day, the game plan is for me and the kids to get the heck out of the house and let my wife sleep as long as she wants, but then head over to a Mother’s Day brunch, and then have me and the kids get lost again until dinner time where we go wherever my wife wants.

For Father’s Day, the one time I tried a “Dad’s day with his buds playing golf” I ended up feeling somewhat guilty about it, and my wife certainly added to it by suggesting that I could have probably spent more time with my kids on Father’s Day. I was a little annoyed about the “double standard” suggestion, but honestly over the years I’ve come to value spending the time with my wife and kids. Now what we typically do is share some family time, and I might squeeze in a quick round of golf, and then we theoretically go to dinner where I want (but I always pick something I know they will all be happy with, especially my wife who is very picky about her restaurants). I’m ok with the arrangement, because I do value the time with my family, and my wife is generally willing to make the day go however I want it (and I usually pick something that involves some “fun” for all of us).

Oh, and (edited to add), learn from my mistake and don’t dare suggest that you somehow find your way to a golf course on Mother’s Day. One year on Mother’s Day, since my main job is to get myself and the kids out of my wife’s hair, I suggested that I would take the kids with me to the golf course after the brunch at the club. For some reason, my wife did not like that idea. If I had suggested that I take the kids to the park, she would have been happy with my plan...but the mere suggestion that I might “enjoy” myself on “her day” was not well received. ?. It did start a bit of a dialogue about the disparity between “her day” and “my day” and now we both tend to do “family” things mixed in with personal things on our “days”.

> @Kevlar10 said:

>

> Father’s Day is usislly the worst day for me. Every year I drop hints that I’d like to play a round, just one round, on that day. I’ve even suggested that my two sons go with me and we’d have a great day. Every FD morning I wake up with the hope that this will be the year. NEVER happens. Since when has Father’s Day become a day about children? It is in my wife’s opinion. It’s actially the day, I spend the entire day playing with the kids, doing what they want, while my wife spends the day doing what she wants sans kids. Last year, I finally had the “bright idea” to go to the local par three, with the family. I get up, excited to share my plan and it almost immediately goes awry. At breakfast, I unveil my plan an the wife announces, she’s going shopping with her sisters, so my idea is great. She’ll be out spending unnecessary money while I take our kids (ages, 12, 9, and 3) to the pitch and putt for some fun with dad. My daughter, age 3 is ecstatic. Anyway, long story short, it was the most exhausting 2 1/2 hours of my entire life.

> In my situation, Father’s Day is anything but a day for Dad.

> Thoughts?

>

Yeah you need to get a handle on that.

I have a friend who lives like this.

It's your day. Don't ask, tell.

• Like 1

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

I don’t have kids, and my father passed a few years ago. It’s any other Sunday for me. I call my step dad at some point to tell him happy Father’s Day, call a couple of my close friends, usually play golf and then come home and watch golf.

I do have a step kid, but she’s 19 and I’ve only been married to her mom for 2 years, so Father’s Day isn’t much of a thing in our house, and I’m fine with that. If it changed and she decided she wanted to do something for me on the day, I’d happily do it, but I just don’t see that happening.