Any Long Term Srixon 785 Irons Reviews??

1235»

Comments

• JoeFrigoJoeFrigo  158Members Posts: 158

@balls_deep said:

@RH82 said:
    I don't get the whole draw bias thing with these irons as I've owned these for a season and have not noticed this whatsoever.

It was shaft for me. Fine with X100. Was not fine with LZ.

@JoeFrigo said:
    I was eyeing a set of 785's with 125 f5 recoil prototype's on eBay for a month. Finally pulled the trigger and they came in yesterday. I played z965's 2 years ago, so im not surprised how amazing the 785s

Ive noticed how odd the lofts are on these irons on Srixon's website and have followed this thread for months. rented a simulator for an hour yesterday and got numbers id expect from the weird lofts of these. Those that have played for a long time, what have you done for lofts? Its definitely concerning to have that big of a jump with the scoring irons. I know its more about gapping than loft consistency, but 5* between 8i - 9i, and 9i - Pw is crazy. Right now im leaning towards weakening both the 9 and 8 but the gap between 7 and 8 could increase to 15 yards. 15 yard gap is manageable but not ideal for me. Im also debating starting at 22* for the 4 iron and going in lofts of 4* from there

So wrapping it all up, has anyone else found loft/distance inconsistency with the stock lofts?.... and yes im going to get the lofts checked first before I start bending anything

PW carry 132

9i carry 150

8i carry 167

7i carry 176

I'm going to keep the PW the same and weaken the rest by two degrees.

Thats a good idea too! Im long enough that im not concerned about distance... At my home course most of my approaches are under 165 so I need to get those locked in

Posted:

TM M5 9* UST Mamiya Lin-Q gunmetal 6F5
    TM M6 3w UST Mamiya Lin-Q gunmetal 7F5
    New Level 4995 Utility 18* LA Golf Altus Black Tie 105x
    Srixon z785 4 - Pw UST Mamiya Recoil 125 Proto F5
    TM Milled Grind 2, 50*, 54* UST Mamiya Recoil 125 Proto F5
    TM Hi-Toe Bigfoot 58* UST Mamiya Recoil Wedge Proto F5
    Bettinardi 2019 Queen B#6

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Buckets2Buckets2  2528Members Posts: 2,528

Been having some flier problems with these in the latter half of this season. Today from the fairway, no moisture or wind, I was 150 out. 150 is normally PW for me, so being 45 degrees I figure it will end up below the hole a bit since it's chilly..should give me a nice birdie look -- ended up flying bout 180 in the air. Another recent example was a 5 iron going about 225 in the air when normally 200-205. Pretty sure I'll be switching to blades at least in 7-PW for next season. Simply unacceptable from the fairway.

Posted:
  • balls_deepballs_deep Wanna earn 14 bucks the hard way? 1528Members Posts: 1,528

@Buckets2 said:
    Been having some flier problems with these in the latter half of this season. Today from the fairway, no moisture or wind, I was 150 out. 150 is normally PW for me, so being 45 degrees I figure it will end up below the hole a bit since it's chilly..should give me a nice birdie look -- ended up flying bout 180 in the air. Another recent example was a 5 iron going about 225 in the air when normally 200-205. Pretty sure I'll be switching to blades at least in 7-PW for next season. Simply unacceptable from the fairway.

Was it wet out there? I had that happen with the 765 it was annoying AF sold them immediately. 3 rounds in wet conditions and haven't had it happen with these. What shafts are you using?

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5° Project X Evenflow White 6.5x 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 75g
    Titleist 818 H1 19° Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 85g
    Srixon z785 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
    Vokey SM7 52F 56F 60D Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M 35"
    Pro V1x/Snell MTB-X
    Currently - 5.6

@balls_deep said:

@Buckets2 said:

Was it wet out there? I had that happen with the 765 it was annoying AF sold them immediately. 3 rounds in wet conditions and haven't had it happen with these. What shafts are you using?

nope not wet, using ctaper 130x. The PW flier today was so bad I had to do a double take and make sure I grabbed the P instead of the 6.

Posted:
  • balls_deepballs_deep Wanna earn 14 bucks the hard way? 1528Members Posts: 1,528

@Buckets2 said:

@balls_deep said:

@Buckets2 said:

nope not wet, using ctaper 130x

Well in fairness that's just about the lowest spin shaft you can buy so pretty easy to get some nukers with it depending on delivery. Flat out they spin less than other clubs. I've had success playing them but it is a consideration. I hit such a high ball that spin kills me so these have been nice in that regard. Will probably go back to MP20 MB with different shafts next season (didn't like $Taper 130x)

Posted:
    Pro V1x/Snell MTB-X
    Currently - 5.6

@balls_deep said:

@Buckets2 said:

@balls_deep said:

@Buckets2 said:

nope not wet, using ctaper 130x

Well in fairness that's just about the lowest spin shaft you can buy so pretty easy to get some nukers with it depending on delivery. Flat out they spin less than other clubs. I've had success playing them but it is a consideration. I hit such a high ball that spin kills me so these have been nice in that regard. Will probably go back to MP20 MB with different shafts next season (didn't like $Taper 130x)

I hit with high spin so they're good for me, I'm usually over 7k with a 7 iron for instance. I too will probably go to MP20 Mb....might try X100 or $Taper though

Posted:

Advertisement
  • kgeorge78kgeorge78  7883Members Posts: 7,883

@Buckets2 said:

ive never hit a PW 180 yards in the air in my life when it was supposed to go 150

Posted:

M6 10.5 ATMOS BLACK
    M6 ROCKET 14 DEG ATMOS BLACK
    Mizuno MP53 3-PW S300
    CLEVELAND RTX 4.0 52 56 60
    NEWPORT 2

Pin was in the front, and where it landed; re-measured the pin with laser after the airmail

Posted:
  • Krt22Krt22 East Bay 8024Members Posts: 8,024

You must have gotten it a bit thin and knocked all the spin off it.

Posted:

Definitely wasn't thin, hit it as well and solid as I could. I would love to have an easy answer but I'm just at a loss for what happened, and it isn't the first time. Playing partners couldn't believe it either. Didn't swing faster, didn't do anything special etc. Was already thinking about selling them before today, just seem a to go a little left for me and want to try something with less offset.

Posted:

The set I'm thinking about selling at 4-PW with CTaper 130x

Posted:

Advertisement
  • mukstermukster A lot can happen in a year. North of the 49th 3627Members Posts: 3,627

@Buckets2 said:
    Definitely wasn't thin, hit it as well and solid as I could. I would love to have an easy answer but I'm just at a loss for what happened, and it isn't the first time. Playing partners couldn't believe it either. Didn't swing faster, didn't do anything special etc. Was already thinking about selling them before today, just seem a to go a little left for me and want to try something with less offset.

What possibly could be wrong with an iron to give you an extra 30 yards on a shot, assuming you did in fact strike it as solid as you could? Whatever it is, I think someone should look at that and patent it and market it after spreading whatever it is all over the face. Unobtanium? Bits of the Tesseract?

Posted:
    Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Cobra Baffler Rail H 17* hybrid, 
    Cobra F8 22* hybrid
    Srixon Z565 4 iron Srixon Z765 5-PW irons, KBS Tour V shafts
    Srixon A wedge 51° bent to 50°
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter

@Buckets2 said:

Did you look at the bottom of the club after you hit it?

Posted:
    Pro V1x/Snell MTB-X
    Currently - 5.6

• jvincentjvincent  975Members Posts: 975

@mukster said:

@Buckets2 said:

What possibly could be wrong with an iron to give you an extra 30 yards on a shot, assuming you did in fact strike it as solid as you could? Whatever it is, I think someone should look at that and patent it and market it after spreading whatever it is all over the face. Unobtanium? Bits of the Tesseract?

A low launch, low spin pull could conceivably go that much further. The pull delofts the club and the low spin turns it into a bullet.

Posted:

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

@jvincent said:

@mukster said:

@Buckets2 said:

A low launch, low spin pull could conceivably go that much further. The pull delofts the club and the low spin turns it into a bullet.

Which is a swing issue. I'm not buying the club/shaft combo being to blame for a 30yrd flyer with a PW. Even if you got a super low spin one, with a PW that may fly 10-12yrds long, not 30

Posted:
  • GoldhawkGoldhawk  56Members Posts: 56

@JoeFrigo said:
    I was eyeing a set of 785's with 125 f5 recoil prototype's on eBay for a month. Finally pulled the trigger and they came in yesterday. I played z965's 2 years ago, so im not surprised how amazing the 785s

Ive noticed how odd the lofts are on these irons on Srixon's website and have followed this thread for months. rented a simulator for an hour yesterday and got numbers id expect from the weird lofts of these. Those that have played for a long time, what have you done for lofts? Its definitely concerning to have that big of a jump with the scoring irons. I know its more about gapping than loft consistency, but 5* between 8i - 9i, and 9i - Pw is crazy. Right now im leaning towards weakening both the 9 and 8 but the gap between 7 and 8 could increase to 15 yards. 15 yard gap is manageable but not ideal for me. Im also debating starting at 22* for the 4 iron and going in lofts of 4* from there

So wrapping it all up, has anyone else found loft/distance inconsistency with the stock lofts?.... and yes im going to get the lofts checked first before I start bending anything

PW carry 132

9i carry 150

8i carry 167

7i carry 176

I have 765 and have essentially the same numbers; 7i=175, 8i=165, 9=150, PW=135.
    I just adjust between those yardages my gripping down and swinging a little easier, I've gotten used to it - easier to hit accurate partial swings with short irons then the long ones.
    I also only play 2 wedges below the PW - 52* and 58*, so that also forces me to hit many partial shots.

Posted:

Advertisement

@Krt22 said:

@jvincent said:

@mukster said:

@Buckets2 said:

Which is a swing issue. I'm not buying the club/shaft combo being to blame for a 30yrd flyer with a PW. Even if you got a super low spin one, with a PW that may fly 10-12yrds long, not 30

Wasn't a pull, was what I thought was a perfectly executed shot...5 yard baby push draw. Only thing I can think of besides a hot face flier (which does happen with cavity backs) is that there was wind well above me that I didn't know about. Maybe the grooves weren't clean or there was something on the face? Not sure. Like I said I'm perfectly happy accepting a logical reason, just haven't found an obvious one - with either this shot or the previously referenced 5 iron shot. No flier issues today, same conditions etc

I agree about a low spin shot not going 30 past, maybe 10. Just doesn't make sense.

I still love these irons, definitely the best feeling I've played, or at least right up there with MP32.

Posted:

Logically there isnt anything about the club that would result in an extra 30 yards of carry. 30yards of carry with an iron requires 15mph+ of extra ball speed with much lower spin, I'd just chalk it up as an anomaly (wind, dirty face, maybe took a bigger bounce in the rough/back of the green than you though, all of the above)

Posted:

@Krt22 said:
    Logically there isnt anything about the club that would result in an extra 30 yards of carry. 30yards of carry with an iron requires 15mph+ of extra ball speed with much lower spin, I'd just chalk it up as an anomaly

Yeah certainly an anomaly....only a few of these occurrences in the probably 80+ times I've played this year. Overall still a fantastic iron and I've played the best golf of my career with them.

Posted:
  • MillerLowLifeMillerLowLife SLC, UT 748Members Posts: 748

I've noticed a big increase in distance with these compared to my mp18 MB. I think it's mostly just from the strong lofts. I played 18 on a sim last week and seemingly get very consistent numbers, however, they are much further than the old blades. Everything looks great otherwise - launch angle, spin rate, consistency, feel, etc. Still unsure if I will bend the lofts or just adjust. I don't want to touch anything until the spring and I'm able to get real feedback after several rounds. Just going to sell the old set and commit to them for the season. See how it goes.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file