Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts or PM's. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Any Long Term Srixon 785 Irons Reviews??

1235713
13

Comments

  • JoeFrigoJoeFrigo Members  572WRX Points: 229Handicap: 6.4Posts: 572 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #122

    On -, @balls_deep said:

    On -, @RH82 said:

    I don't get the whole draw bias thing with these irons as I've owned these for a season and have not noticed this whatsoever.

    It was shaft for me. Fine with X100. Was not fine with LZ.

    On -, @JoeFrigo said:

    I was eyeing a set of 785's with 125 f5 recoil prototype's on eBay for a month. Finally pulled the trigger and they came in yesterday. I played z965's 2 years ago, so im not surprised how amazing the 785s

    Ive noticed how odd the lofts are on these irons on Srixon's website and have followed this thread for months. rented a simulator for an hour yesterday and got numbers id expect from the weird lofts of these. Those that have played for a long time, what have you done for lofts? Its definitely concerning to have that big of a jump with the scoring irons. I know its more about gapping than loft consistency, but 5* between 8i - 9i, and 9i - Pw is crazy. Right now im leaning towards weakening both the 9 and 8 but the gap between 7 and 8 could increase to 15 yards. 15 yard gap is manageable but not ideal for me. Im also debating starting at 22* for the 4 iron and going in lofts of 4* from there

    So wrapping it all up, has anyone else found loft/distance inconsistency with the stock lofts?.... and yes im going to get the lofts checked first before I start bending anything

    PW carry 132

    9i carry 150

    8i carry 167

    7i carry 176

    I'm going to keep the PW the same and weaken the rest by two degrees.

    Thats a good idea too! Im long enough that im not concerned about distance... At my home course most of my approaches are under 165 so I need to get those locked in

    Posted:

    TM SIM Max 9* ..Ventus Black 60x
    TM SIM 3w 16* ..Ventus Blue 70x / Accra Tour Z RPG 372
    Cobra Forged Tec U 2i .. SteelFiber 110x
    New Level 623 4 - P ..KBS C-Taper 120
    Bettinardi HLX 3.0 50,56,60 ..KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    SWAG Savage Tour Proto

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Go_TimeGo_Time Members  2621WRX Points: 334Posts: 2,621 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Nov 10, 2019 #123

    Been having some flier problems with these in the latter half of this season. Today from the fairway, no moisture or wind, I was 150 out. 150 is normally PW for me, so being 45 degrees I figure it will end up below the hole a bit since it's chilly..should give me a nice birdie look -- ended up flying bout 180 in the air. Another recent example was a 5 iron going about 225 in the air when normally 200-205. Pretty sure I'll be switching to blades at least in 7-PW for next season. Simply unacceptable from the fairway.

    Posted:
  • TigerInTheWoodsTigerInTheWoods Members  2718WRX Points: 1,757Handicap: 3Posts: 2,718 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #124

    On -, @Buckets2 said:

    Been having some flier problems with these in the latter half of this season. Today from the fairway, no moisture or wind, I was 150 out. 150 is normally PW for me, so being 45 degrees I figure it will end up below the hole a bit since it's chilly..should give me a nice birdie look -- ended up flying bout 180 in the air. Another recent example was a 5 iron going about 225 in the air when normally 200-205. Pretty sure I'll be switching to blades at least in 7-PW for next season. Simply unacceptable from the fairway.

    Was it wet out there? I had that happen with the 765 it was annoying AF sold them immediately. 3 rounds in wet conditions and haven't had it happen with these. What shafts are you using?

    Posted:

    ▪️ Ping G410 LST 9* PX Hzrdus Yellow 63g 6.5X

    ▪️ Taylormade Sim Max 15* Aldila Rogue 70x

    ▪️ Titleist 818 H1 @18* PX Hzrdus HC Black 85g

    ▪️ Miura CB-57 4-7, Miura MB-001 8-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

    ▪️ Vokey Forged 52F 56M | Vokey TVD 56M 58K 60K | Taylormade Hi-Toe 60ATV | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 (Change based on bag and course)

    ▪️ Byron Morgan DH89 34.75" Custom

    ▪️ Titleist Pro V1X | Srixon Z-Star XV | Taylormade TP5X

    ▪️ Ping Hoofer

  • Go_TimeGo_Time Members  2621WRX Points: 334Posts: 2,621 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Nov 10, 2019 #125

    On -, @balls_deep said:

    On -, @Buckets2 said:

    Been having some flier problems with these in the latter half of this season. Today from the fairway, no moisture or wind, I was 150 out. 150 is normally PW for me, so being 45 degrees I figure it will end up below the hole a bit since it's chilly..should give me a nice birdie look -- ended up flying bout 180 in the air. Another recent example was a 5 iron going about 225 in the air when normally 200-205. Pretty sure I'll be switching to blades at least in 7-PW for next season. Simply unacceptable from the fairway.

    Was it wet out there? I had that happen with the 765 it was annoying AF sold them immediately. 3 rounds in wet conditions and haven't had it happen with these. What shafts are you using?

    nope not wet, using ctaper 130x. The PW flier today was so bad I had to do a double take and make sure I grabbed the P instead of the 6.

    Posted:
  • TigerInTheWoodsTigerInTheWoods Members  2718WRX Points: 1,757Handicap: 3Posts: 2,718 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #126

    On -, @Buckets2 said:

    On -, @balls_deep said:

    On -, @Buckets2 said:

    Been having some flier problems with these in the latter half of this season. Today from the fairway, no moisture or wind, I was 150 out. 150 is normally PW for me, so being 45 degrees I figure it will end up below the hole a bit since it's chilly..should give me a nice birdie look -- ended up flying bout 180 in the air. Another recent example was a 5 iron going about 225 in the air when normally 200-205. Pretty sure I'll be switching to blades at least in 7-PW for next season. Simply unacceptable from the fairway.

    Was it wet out there? I had that happen with the 765 it was annoying AF sold them immediately. 3 rounds in wet conditions and haven't had it happen with these. What shafts are you using?

    nope not wet, using ctaper 130x

    Well in fairness that's just about the lowest spin shaft you can buy so pretty easy to get some nukers with it depending on delivery. Flat out they spin less than other clubs. I've had success playing them but it is a consideration. I hit such a high ball that spin kills me so these have been nice in that regard. Will probably go back to MP20 MB with different shafts next season (didn't like $Taper 130x)

    Posted:

    ▪️ Ping G410 LST 9* PX Hzrdus Yellow 63g 6.5X

    ▪️ Taylormade Sim Max 15* Aldila Rogue 70x

    ▪️ Titleist 818 H1 @18* PX Hzrdus HC Black 85g

    ▪️ Miura CB-57 4-7, Miura MB-001 8-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

    ▪️ Vokey Forged 52F 56M | Vokey TVD 56M 58K 60K | Taylormade Hi-Toe 60ATV | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 (Change based on bag and course)

    ▪️ Byron Morgan DH89 34.75" Custom

    ▪️ Titleist Pro V1X | Srixon Z-Star XV | Taylormade TP5X

    ▪️ Ping Hoofer

  • Go_TimeGo_Time Members  2621WRX Points: 334Posts: 2,621 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #127

    On -, @balls_deep said:

    On -, @Buckets2 said:

    On -, @balls_deep said:

    On -, @Buckets2 said:

    Been having some flier problems with these in the latter half of this season. Today from the fairway, no moisture or wind, I was 150 out. 150 is normally PW for me, so being 45 degrees I figure it will end up below the hole a bit since it's chilly..should give me a nice birdie look -- ended up flying bout 180 in the air. Another recent example was a 5 iron going about 225 in the air when normally 200-205. Pretty sure I'll be switching to blades at least in 7-PW for next season. Simply unacceptable from the fairway.

    Was it wet out there? I had that happen with the 765 it was annoying AF sold them immediately. 3 rounds in wet conditions and haven't had it happen with these. What shafts are you using?

    nope not wet, using ctaper 130x

    Well in fairness that's just about the lowest spin shaft you can buy so pretty easy to get some nukers with it depending on delivery. Flat out they spin less than other clubs. I've had success playing them but it is a consideration. I hit such a high ball that spin kills me so these have been nice in that regard. Will probably go back to MP20 MB with different shafts next season (didn't like $Taper 130x)

    I hit with high spin so they're good for me, I'm usually over 7k with a 7 iron for instance. I too will probably go to MP20 Mb....might try X100 or $Taper though

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • tigerfan23tigerfan23 Members  8048WRX Points: 374Posts: 8,048 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #128

    On -, @Buckets2 said:

    Been having some flier problems with these in the latter half of this season. Today from the fairway, no moisture or wind, I was 150 out. 150 is normally PW for me, so being 45 degrees I figure it will end up below the hole a bit since it's chilly..should give me a nice birdie look -- ended up flying bout 180 in the air. Another recent example was a 5 iron going about 225 in the air when normally 200-205. Pretty sure I'll be switching to blades at least in 7-PW for next season. Simply unacceptable from the fairway.

    ive never hit a PW 180 yards in the air in my life when it was supposed to go 150

    Posted:

    SIM MAX 10.5 TOUR AD DI 6
    SIM MAX FAIRWAY 15 TOUR AD DI 7
    SIM MAX HYBRID 19 TOUR AD DI 85

    TITLEIST T100 3-PW PX 6.0
    VOKEY SM8 CHROME 52 56S 60M PX6.0

    2020 Newport

  • Go_TimeGo_Time Members  2621WRX Points: 334Posts: 2,621 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #129

    Pin was in the front, and where it landed; re-measured the pin with laser after the airmail

    Posted:
  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers  9564WRX Points: 3,179Posts: 9,564 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #130

    You must have gotten it a bit thin and knocked all the spin off it.

    Posted:
  • Go_TimeGo_Time Members  2621WRX Points: 334Posts: 2,621 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Nov 11, 2019 #131

    Definitely wasn't thin, hit it as well and solid as I could. I would love to have an easy answer but I'm just at a loss for what happened, and it isn't the first time. Playing partners couldn't believe it either. Didn't swing faster, didn't do anything special etc. Was already thinking about selling them before today, just seem a to go a little left for me and want to try something with less offset.

    Posted:
  • Go_TimeGo_Time Members  2621WRX Points: 334Posts: 2,621 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #132

    The set I'm thinking about selling at 4-PW with CTaper 130x

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • mukstermukster A lot can happen in a year. North of the 49thMembers  3746WRX Points: 508Posts: 3,746 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #133

    On -, @Buckets2 said:

    Definitely wasn't thin, hit it as well and solid as I could. I would love to have an easy answer but I'm just at a loss for what happened, and it isn't the first time. Playing partners couldn't believe it either. Didn't swing faster, didn't do anything special etc. Was already thinking about selling them before today, just seem a to go a little left for me and want to try something with less offset.

    What possibly could be wrong with an iron to give you an extra 30 yards on a shot, assuming you did in fact strike it as solid as you could? Whatever it is, I think someone should look at that and patent it and market it after spreading whatever it is all over the face. Unobtanium? Bits of the Tesseract?

    Posted:
    Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic 3 Wood , Fubuki Z65 shaft
    Mizuno ST180 5 wood,  Tensei CK Blue shaft
    Cobra F8 22* hybrid
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons
    , KBS Tour V shafts
    Srixon A wedge 51° bent to 50°
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • TigerInTheWoodsTigerInTheWoods Members  2718WRX Points: 1,757Handicap: 3Posts: 2,718 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #134

    On -, @Buckets2 said:

    Definitely wasn't thin, hit it as well and solid as I could. I would love to have an easy answer but I'm just at a loss for what happened, and it isn't the first time. Playing partners couldn't believe it either. Didn't swing faster, didn't do anything special etc. Was already thinking about selling them before today, just seem a to go a little left for me and want to try something with less offset.

    Did you look at the bottom of the club after you hit it?

    Posted:

    ▪️ Ping G410 LST 9* PX Hzrdus Yellow 63g 6.5X

    ▪️ Taylormade Sim Max 15* Aldila Rogue 70x

    ▪️ Titleist 818 H1 @18* PX Hzrdus HC Black 85g

    ▪️ Miura CB-57 4-7, Miura MB-001 8-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

    ▪️ Vokey Forged 52F 56M | Vokey TVD 56M 58K 60K | Taylormade Hi-Toe 60ATV | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 (Change based on bag and course)

    ▪️ Byron Morgan DH89 34.75" Custom

    ▪️ Titleist Pro V1X | Srixon Z-Star XV | Taylormade TP5X

    ▪️ Ping Hoofer

  • jvincentjvincent Members  1732WRX Points: 989Posts: 1,732 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #135

    On -, @mukster said:

    On -, @Buckets2 said:

    Definitely wasn't thin, hit it as well and solid as I could. I would love to have an easy answer but I'm just at a loss for what happened, and it isn't the first time. Playing partners couldn't believe it either. Didn't swing faster, didn't do anything special etc. Was already thinking about selling them before today, just seem a to go a little left for me and want to try something with less offset.

    What possibly could be wrong with an iron to give you an extra 30 yards on a shot, assuming you did in fact strike it as solid as you could? Whatever it is, I think someone should look at that and patent it and market it after spreading whatever it is all over the face. Unobtanium? Bits of the Tesseract?

    A low launch, low spin pull could conceivably go that much further. The pull delofts the club and the low spin turns it into a bullet.

    Posted:

    Cobra SZ 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers  9564WRX Points: 3,179Posts: 9,564 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #136

    On -, @jvincent said:

    On -, @mukster said:

    On -, @Buckets2 said:

    Definitely wasn't thin, hit it as well and solid as I could. I would love to have an easy answer but I'm just at a loss for what happened, and it isn't the first time. Playing partners couldn't believe it either. Didn't swing faster, didn't do anything special etc. Was already thinking about selling them before today, just seem a to go a little left for me and want to try something with less offset.

    What possibly could be wrong with an iron to give you an extra 30 yards on a shot, assuming you did in fact strike it as solid as you could? Whatever it is, I think someone should look at that and patent it and market it after spreading whatever it is all over the face. Unobtanium? Bits of the Tesseract?

    A low launch, low spin pull could conceivably go that much further. The pull delofts the club and the low spin turns it into a bullet.

    Which is a swing issue. I'm not buying the club/shaft combo being to blame for a 30yrd flyer with a PW. Even if you got a super low spin one, with a PW that may fly 10-12yrds long, not 30

    Posted:
  • GoldhawkGoldhawk Members  83WRX Points: 37Posts: 83 Fairways
    Joined:  #137

    On -, @JoeFrigo said:

    I was eyeing a set of 785's with 125 f5 recoil prototype's on eBay for a month. Finally pulled the trigger and they came in yesterday. I played z965's 2 years ago, so im not surprised how amazing the 785s

    Ive noticed how odd the lofts are on these irons on Srixon's website and have followed this thread for months. rented a simulator for an hour yesterday and got numbers id expect from the weird lofts of these. Those that have played for a long time, what have you done for lofts? Its definitely concerning to have that big of a jump with the scoring irons. I know its more about gapping than loft consistency, but 5* between 8i - 9i, and 9i - Pw is crazy. Right now im leaning towards weakening both the 9 and 8 but the gap between 7 and 8 could increase to 15 yards. 15 yard gap is manageable but not ideal for me. Im also debating starting at 22* for the 4 iron and going in lofts of 4* from there

    So wrapping it all up, has anyone else found loft/distance inconsistency with the stock lofts?.... and yes im going to get the lofts checked first before I start bending anything

    PW carry 132

    9i carry 150

    8i carry 167

    7i carry 176

    I have 765 and have essentially the same numbers; 7i=175, 8i=165, 9=150, PW=135.
    I just adjust between those yardages my gripping down and swinging a little easier, I've gotten used to it - easier to hit accurate partial swings with short irons then the long ones.
    I also only play 2 wedges below the PW - 52* and 58*, so that also forces me to hit many partial shots.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Go_TimeGo_Time Members  2621WRX Points: 334Posts: 2,621 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Nov 11, 2019 #138

    On -, @Krt22 said:

    On -, @jvincent said:

    On -, @mukster said:

    On -, @Buckets2 said:

    Definitely wasn't thin, hit it as well and solid as I could. I would love to have an easy answer but I'm just at a loss for what happened, and it isn't the first time. Playing partners couldn't believe it either. Didn't swing faster, didn't do anything special etc. Was already thinking about selling them before today, just seem a to go a little left for me and want to try something with less offset.

    What possibly could be wrong with an iron to give you an extra 30 yards on a shot, assuming you did in fact strike it as solid as you could? Whatever it is, I think someone should look at that and patent it and market it after spreading whatever it is all over the face. Unobtanium? Bits of the Tesseract?

    A low launch, low spin pull could conceivably go that much further. The pull delofts the club and the low spin turns it into a bullet.

    Which is a swing issue. I'm not buying the club/shaft combo being to blame for a 30yrd flyer with a PW. Even if you got a super low spin one, with a PW that may fly 10-12yrds long, not 30

    Wasn't a pull, was what I thought was a perfectly executed shot...5 yard baby push draw. Only thing I can think of besides a hot face flier (which does happen with cavity backs) is that there was wind well above me that I didn't know about. Maybe the grooves weren't clean or there was something on the face? Not sure. Like I said I'm perfectly happy accepting a logical reason, just haven't found an obvious one - with either this shot or the previously referenced 5 iron shot. No flier issues today, same conditions etc

    I agree about a low spin shot not going 30 past, maybe 10. Just doesn't make sense.

    I still love these irons, definitely the best feeling I've played, or at least right up there with MP32.

    Posted:
  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers  9564WRX Points: 3,179Posts: 9,564 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Nov 11, 2019 #139

    Logically there isnt anything about the club that would result in an extra 30 yards of carry. 30yards of carry with an iron requires 15mph+ of extra ball speed with much lower spin, I'd just chalk it up as an anomaly (wind, dirty face, maybe took a bigger bounce in the rough/back of the green than you though, all of the above)

    Posted:
  • Go_TimeGo_Time Members  2621WRX Points: 334Posts: 2,621 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #140

    On -, @Krt22 said:

    Logically there isnt anything about the club that would result in an extra 30 yards of carry. 30yards of carry with an iron requires 15mph+ of extra ball speed with much lower spin, I'd just chalk it up as an anomaly

    Yeah certainly an anomaly....only a few of these occurrences in the probably 80+ times I've played this year. Overall still a fantastic iron and I've played the best golf of my career with them.

    Posted:
  • MillerLowLifeMillerLowLife SLC, UTMembers  889WRX Points: 155Handicap: 5Posts: 889 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #141

    I've noticed a big increase in distance with these compared to my mp18 MB. I think it's mostly just from the strong lofts. I played 18 on a sim last week and seemingly get very consistent numbers, however, they are much further than the old blades. Everything looks great otherwise - launch angle, spin rate, consistency, feel, etc. Still unsure if I will bend the lofts or just adjust. I don't want to touch anything until the spring and I'm able to get real feedback after several rounds. Just going to sell the old set and commit to them for the season. See how it goes.

    Posted:

    Taylormade SIM 10.5* w/ Ventus V. Black 7x

    Tour Edge Exotic 220 Hybrid 3 w/ Oban Devotion 8 05

    Tour Edge Exotic 220 Hybrid 5 w/ Oban Devotion 8 05

    Srixon z785 4-PW w/ x100

    Mizuno T20 52 w/ s400

    Taylormade Milled 56/60 w/ s400

    Special Select NP2

    Ball: Srixon XV

    Grip: Midsize Z-grip

  • JoeFrigoJoeFrigo Members  572WRX Points: 229Handicap: 6.4Posts: 572 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #142

    On -, @Goldhawk said:

    On -, @JoeFrigo said:

    I was eyeing a set of 785's with 125 f5 recoil prototype's on eBay for a month. Finally pulled the trigger and they came in yesterday. I played z965's 2 years ago, so im not surprised how amazing the 785s

    Ive noticed how odd the lofts are on these irons on Srixon's website and have followed this thread for months. rented a simulator for an hour yesterday and got numbers id expect from the weird lofts of these. Those that have played for a long time, what have you done for lofts? Its definitely concerning to have that big of a jump with the scoring irons. I know its more about gapping than loft consistency, but 5* between 8i - 9i, and 9i - Pw is crazy. Right now im leaning towards weakening both the 9 and 8 but the gap between 7 and 8 could increase to 15 yards. 15 yard gap is manageable but not ideal for me. Im also debating starting at 22* for the 4 iron and going in lofts of 4* from there

    So wrapping it all up, has anyone else found loft/distance inconsistency with the stock lofts?.... and yes im going to get the lofts checked first before I start bending anything

    PW carry 132

    9i carry 150

    8i carry 167

    7i carry 176

    I have 765 and have essentially the same numbers; 7i=175, 8i=165, 9=150, PW=135.
    I just adjust between those yardages my gripping down and swinging a little easier, I've gotten used to it - easier to hit accurate partial swings with short irons then the long ones.
    I also only play 2 wedges below the PW - 52* and 58*, so that also forces me to hit many partial shots.

    yea I agree. 15 yard gaps are manageable for sure, I would rather have it around 10 - 12.... kinda like you also I played 52 and 58 wedges all year and loved it (recently moved back to 50, 54, 58). That wedge setup definitely helped me with partial swings and learning to control distance. I used the 52 for anything between 40 - 120 yards and became much more consistent focusing on one club. It would probably help with the feel of the 8i - Pw also learning the partial swings or gripping down

    Posted:

    TM SIM Max 9* ..Ventus Black 60x
    TM SIM 3w 16* ..Ventus Blue 70x / Accra Tour Z RPG 372
    Cobra Forged Tec U 2i .. SteelFiber 110x
    New Level 623 4 - P ..KBS C-Taper 120
    Bettinardi HLX 3.0 50,56,60 ..KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    SWAG Savage Tour Proto

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • JoeFrigoJoeFrigo Members  572WRX Points: 229Handicap: 6.4Posts: 572 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #143

    so ive had mine in the simulator 3 times now and have mixed reviews. Here in Chicago its snowed and been below 0 so im not rushing to judgements b/c I have not hit them outside yet....

    I dont have any issue launching the ball or creating spin, but for whatever reason the 4 iron I hit screaming low bullets. way lower than my driving iron even. I noticed the 4 iron launch and ball speed the first 2 sessions and after yesterday I made note of the numbers

    4 iron = 149mph, 9.2 launch, 3100 spin. I know it won't roll out as much outdoors as it says in the simulator but im carrying this thing 230 yards and rolling out to 255. I typically carry a 4i around 225 - 230 but thats with much higher launch and slightly more spin. Lofts were recently redone last week and the 4i is at 22*

    With my New Level 623's the 4 iron was 139 ball speed, 14.2 launch, 3500 spin. Carried 224, total 237. This is what I expect from a 4 iron for me over the years but I dont know whats going on with the Srixon

    I was originally fit in to 785's back in February but only recently bought these 2 weeks ago. It's indoors so I dont wanna rush to judgement, but im not too happy so far. Maybe going up on Classifieds pretty soon lol

    Posted:

    TM SIM Max 9* ..Ventus Black 60x
    TM SIM 3w 16* ..Ventus Blue 70x / Accra Tour Z RPG 372
    Cobra Forged Tec U 2i .. SteelFiber 110x
    New Level 623 4 - P ..KBS C-Taper 120
    Bettinardi HLX 3.0 50,56,60 ..KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    SWAG Savage Tour Proto

  • jvincentjvincent Members  1732WRX Points: 989Posts: 1,732 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #144

    On -, @JoeFrigo said:

    With my New Level 623's the 4 iron was 139 ball speed, 14.2 launch, 3500 spin. Carried 224, total 237. This is what I expect from a 4 iron for me over the years but I dont know whats going on with the Srixon

    Where are you hitting it on the face?

    Posted:

    Cobra SZ 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

  • JoeFrigoJoeFrigo Members  572WRX Points: 229Handicap: 6.4Posts: 572 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #145

    On -, @jvincent said:

    On -, @JoeFrigo said:

    With my New Level 623's the 4 iron was 139 ball speed, 14.2 launch, 3500 spin. Carried 224, total 237. This is what I expect from a 4 iron for me over the years but I dont know whats going on with the Srixon

    Where are you hitting it on the face?

    honestly both clubs feel like they're center contact, maybe just barely low on the face if anything. My utility iron at 18* is my 250 - 260 club so im shocked to see what the Srixon is doing and why it launches so low. The ball speed on the utility and Srixon 4 iron are the same

    Posted:

    TM SIM Max 9* ..Ventus Black 60x
    TM SIM 3w 16* ..Ventus Blue 70x / Accra Tour Z RPG 372
    Cobra Forged Tec U 2i .. SteelFiber 110x
    New Level 623 4 - P ..KBS C-Taper 120
    Bettinardi HLX 3.0 50,56,60 ..KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    SWAG Savage Tour Proto

  • GoldhawkGoldhawk Members  83WRX Points: 37Posts: 83 Fairways
    Joined:  #146

    On -, @JoeFrigo said:

    On -, @Goldhawk said:

    On -, @JoeFrigo said:

    I was eyeing a set of 785's with 125 f5 recoil prototype's on eBay for a month. Finally pulled the trigger and they came in yesterday. I played z965's 2 years ago, so im not surprised how amazing the 785s

    Ive noticed how odd the lofts are on these irons on Srixon's website and have followed this thread for months. rented a simulator for an hour yesterday and got numbers id expect from the weird lofts of these. Those that have played for a long time, what have you done for lofts? Its definitely concerning to have that big of a jump with the scoring irons. I know its more about gapping than loft consistency, but 5* between 8i - 9i, and 9i - Pw is crazy. Right now im leaning towards weakening both the 9 and 8 but the gap between 7 and 8 could increase to 15 yards. 15 yard gap is manageable but not ideal for me. Im also debating starting at 22* for the 4 iron and going in lofts of 4* from there

    So wrapping it all up, has anyone else found loft/distance inconsistency with the stock lofts?.... and yes im going to get the lofts checked first before I start bending anything

    PW carry 132

    9i carry 150

    8i carry 167

    7i carry 176

    I have 765 and have essentially the same numbers; 7i=175, 8i=165, 9=150, PW=135.
    I just adjust between those yardages my gripping down and swinging a little easier, I've gotten used to it - easier to hit accurate partial swings with short irons then the long ones.
    I also only play 2 wedges below the PW - 52* and 58*, so that also forces me to hit many partial shots.

    yea I agree. 15 yard gaps are manageable for sure, I would rather have it around 10 - 12.... kinda like you also I played 52 and 58 wedges all year and loved it (recently moved back to 50, 54, 58). That wedge setup definitely helped me with partial swings and learning to control distance. I used the 52 for anything between 40 - 120 yards and became much more consistent focusing on one club. It would probably help with the feel of the 8i - Pw also learning the partial swings or gripping down

    I was also considering a wedge change this year - I used to carry 2 utility irons (2 and 3), but just got 1 hybrid to try and split the difference and got a 585 4 iron to stretch that out a little more. Also increased loft on my 3 wood to make it effectively a 4 wood.
    What I'd like to do is bend my 9i and PW 1* stronger so there is more of a gap to a 50*m then go 54, 58 as you mentioned. As of now my hard 52 and 3/4 PW go about the same yardage.

    You may want to look into a 585 head for your 4i if your problems persist - helps launch and ball speed a fair bit, not too chunky. Shane Lowry plays 585 in 4 and 5 irons. You may want to bend it 1* weak though.

    Posted:
  • JoeFrigoJoeFrigo Members  572WRX Points: 229Handicap: 6.4Posts: 572 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #147

    On -, @Goldhawk said:

    On -, @JoeFrigo said:

    On -, @Goldhawk said:

    On -, @JoeFrigo said:

    I was eyeing a set of 785's with 125 f5 recoil prototype's on eBay for a month. Finally pulled the trigger and they came in yesterday. I played z965's 2 years ago, so im not surprised how amazing the 785s

    Ive noticed how odd the lofts are on these irons on Srixon's website and have followed this thread for months. rented a simulator for an hour yesterday and got numbers id expect from the weird lofts of these. Those that have played for a long time, what have you done for lofts? Its definitely concerning to have that big of a jump with the scoring irons. I know its more about gapping than loft consistency, but 5* between 8i - 9i, and 9i - Pw is crazy. Right now im leaning towards weakening both the 9 and 8 but the gap between 7 and 8 could increase to 15 yards. 15 yard gap is manageable but not ideal for me. Im also debating starting at 22* for the 4 iron and going in lofts of 4* from there

    So wrapping it all up, has anyone else found loft/distance inconsistency with the stock lofts?.... and yes im going to get the lofts checked first before I start bending anything

    PW carry 132

    9i carry 150

    8i carry 167

    7i carry 176

    I have 765 and have essentially the same numbers; 7i=175, 8i=165, 9=150, PW=135.
    I just adjust between those yardages my gripping down and swinging a little easier, I've gotten used to it - easier to hit accurate partial swings with short irons then the long ones.
    I also only play 2 wedges below the PW - 52* and 58*, so that also forces me to hit many partial shots.

    yea I agree. 15 yard gaps are manageable for sure, I would rather have it around 10 - 12.... kinda like you also I played 52 and 58 wedges all year and loved it (recently moved back to 50, 54, 58). That wedge setup definitely helped me with partial swings and learning to control distance. I used the 52 for anything between 40 - 120 yards and became much more consistent focusing on one club. It would probably help with the feel of the 8i - Pw also learning the partial swings or gripping down

    I was also considering a wedge change this year - I used to carry 2 utility irons (2 and 3), but just got 1 hybrid to try and split the difference and got a 585 4 iron to stretch that out a little more. Also increased loft on my 3 wood to make it effectively a 4 wood.
    What I'd like to do is bend my 9i and PW 1* stronger so there is more of a gap to a 50*m then go 54, 58 as you mentioned. As of now my hard 52 and 3/4 PW go about the same yardage.

    You may want to look into a 585 head for your 4i if your problems persist - helps launch and ball speed a fair bit, not too chunky. Shane Lowry plays 585 in 4 and 5 irons. You may want to bend it 1* weak though.

    luckily its winter here and I can play around in the simulator to figure out this 4i issue. The rest of the irons are great. Its not that I cant hit a 4i but that launch is crazy. I might weaken it 2* or I have another New Level utility 22* I could play instead.

    with the wedges ive focused on the 50* as a full swing club probably 90% of the time and use the 54* for everything else. 58* has been for sand and anything I need to stop quick on a tight pin

    Posted:

    TM SIM Max 9* ..Ventus Black 60x
    TM SIM 3w 16* ..Ventus Blue 70x / Accra Tour Z RPG 372
    Cobra Forged Tec U 2i .. SteelFiber 110x
    New Level 623 4 - P ..KBS C-Taper 120
    Bettinardi HLX 3.0 50,56,60 ..KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    SWAG Savage Tour Proto

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • jvincentjvincent Members  1732WRX Points: 989Posts: 1,732 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #148

    On -, @JoeFrigo said:

    On -, @jvincent said:

    On -, @JoeFrigo said:

    With my New Level 623's the 4 iron was 139 ball speed, 14.2 launch, 3500 spin. Carried 224, total 237. This is what I expect from a 4 iron for me over the years but I dont know whats going on with the Srixon

    Where are you hitting it on the face?

    honestly both clubs feel like they're center contact, maybe just barely low on the face if anything. My utility iron at 18* is my 250 - 260 club so im shocked to see what the Srixon is doing and why it launches so low. The ball speed on the utility and Srixon 4 iron are the same

    Probably worth confirming the contact location with foot spray.

    Posted:

    Cobra SZ 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

  • tigerfan23tigerfan23 Members  8048WRX Points: 374Posts: 8,048 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #149

    im going to order a set tomorrow.


    I can't wait any longer...


    probably going tour issue S400 from 3 iron right to lob wedge

    Posted:

    SIM MAX 10.5 TOUR AD DI 6
    SIM MAX FAIRWAY 15 TOUR AD DI 7
    SIM MAX HYBRID 19 TOUR AD DI 85

    TITLEIST T100 3-PW PX 6.0
    VOKEY SM8 CHROME 52 56S 60M PX6.0

    2020 Newport

  • jvincentjvincent Members  1732WRX Points: 989Posts: 1,732 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #150
    Posted:

    Cobra SZ 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • TigerInTheWoodsTigerInTheWoods Members  2718WRX Points: 1,757Handicap: 3Posts: 2,718 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #151

    Good choice, though I would consider either a 585 or U85 for the 3i if you aren't already. Even with my 4i bent weak they visually looked very low lofted. I hit the 4i plenty high but given the 3i is mainly a tee club for me, I'd have been in U85 with extra stiff graphite.

    Posted:

    ▪️ Ping G410 LST 9* PX Hzrdus Yellow 63g 6.5X

    ▪️ Taylormade Sim Max 15* Aldila Rogue 70x

    ▪️ Titleist 818 H1 @18* PX Hzrdus HC Black 85g

    ▪️ Miura CB-57 4-7, Miura MB-001 8-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

    ▪️ Vokey Forged 52F 56M | Vokey TVD 56M 58K 60K | Taylormade Hi-Toe 60ATV | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 (Change based on bag and course)

    ▪️ Byron Morgan DH89 34.75" Custom

    ▪️ Titleist Pro V1X | Srixon Z-Star XV | Taylormade TP5X

    ▪️ Ping Hoofer

13

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.