Footjoy Dryjoy Sole Broken/Crumbling

NessismNessism To measure is to know...Members Posts: 18,343 ✭✭

I've been a faithful Dryjoy wearer going back to the metal spike days. The fit is perfect for my foot and they are comfortable and waterproof. I typically pick up a spare pair when they are on sale and save them for a rainy day. This strategy has never failed me until today. Broke out a fresh pair purchased a few years back only to have the sole blow apart and crumble before the round was over. I'm completely flumoxed and dissapointed. I realize that these shoes are not the latest model but still, they shouldn't fall apart like this. I shot Footjoy an email and thew myself on their mercy but not holding out much hope due to the shoes being an older model.

Ping G400 driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S (i200 backups)
Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

Comments

• RickKimbrellRickKimbrell Members Posts: 1,457 ✭✭

Those are definitely from a quite a few years back. My question would be where have you had them stored all this time? The reason I ask, I had a similar pair that had been in my garage for couple of years (subjected to extreme Texas temperature changes). Got them out a few months ago and had similar issues as you have. On the other hand, I have an equally old pair which have been in my closet inside my home and don't have any issues with them.

• NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,343 ✭✭

I had them stored inside, but I bought them from a discount outlet so I don't know the storage history going back to when they were first made. Not sure what the point of my posting this thread is since it's just a my bad situation. Guess just to warn people thinking about buying NOS shoes with plastic parts on them.

• acemandrakeacemandrake Members Posts: 300 ✭✭

"NOS" = Not on sale?

I'm the worst with acronyms.

Thanks

Anyone ever have a pair of golf shoes resoled? Footjoy recommends a place called LaRossa, but they want $175 for new soles.

• mjbfybmjbfyb Members Posts: 264 ✭✭

@acemandrake said:
    "NOS" = Not on sale?

I'm the worst with acronyms.

Thanks

New old stock

• golfunderpar18golfunderpar18 Members Posts: 204 ✭✭

@Nessism said:
    Anyone ever have a pair of golf shoes resoled? Footjoy recommends a place called LaRossa, but they want $175 for new soles.

LaRossa is footjoys outsourced repair shop for their footwear. The $175 is for footjoy classics (leather soles). I've emailed with them before but haven't done it myself. Know someone that has and was happy but the dont stamp footjoy on the replacement soles which was disappointing to him.

As for the crumbling rubber sole - I've seen that on NOS nikes. Believe improper storage with high heat was the issue.

• cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,311 ✭✭

Going forward in your next pair of shoes after each round take a damp cloth and wipe the shoes down after each round. I also take mine and rinse off the soles under the sink and take a bristle brush to clean off the spikes. This gets rid of the chemicals from the course that can ruin shoes. About twice a year I also put on a coat of mink oil, let sit 15 minutes and wipe off.

• Cottonseed.Cottonseed. Members Posts: 170 ✭✭

Time to buy some Eccos. FJ doesnt compare.

edited Apr 26, 2019 6:16pm #10

@golfunderpar18 said:

@Nessism said:

LaRossa is footjoys outsourced repair shop for their footwear. The $175 is for footjoy classics (leather soles). I've emailed with them before but haven't done it myself. Know someone that has and was happy but the dont stamp footjoy on the replacement soles which was disappointing to him.

As for the crumbling rubber sole - I've seen that on NOS nikes. Believe improper storage with high heat was the issue.

$175 was the price listed on LaRossa's website. When I sent them photos of the shoes in question they quoted $190. Needless to say I'll pass.

Regarding taking care of my shoes, I've been wearing Dryjoys for many years now as mentioned in my original post and have never had any problems. In fact I love the shoes. The tops start to get scuffed up and the waterproof nature of the shoe starts to wear off after a couple of years which I'm fine with. I'll just get another pair.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I got my money back on the shoes from the seller. When I posted previously I mistakenly thought these were the pair I bought a couple years back but in reality, I bought them in January. The seller was reluctant to refund but when I reminded him that he advertised the shoes as being in perfect condition he reconsidered (that plus a paypal case changed his mind). ;)

• golfunderpar18golfunderpar18 Members Posts: 204 ✭✭

Unfortunately buying new old stock comes with Potential challenges. Glad it worked out for you

• MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,777 ✭✭

I appreciate that they have not been worn but I am sure that they must be at least 14 years old. I'm not surprised that they ended up like that.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
    edited Apr 26, 2019 10:33pm #13

@MattyO1984 said:
    I appreciate that they have not been worn but I am sure that they must be at least 14 years old. I'm not surprised that they ended up like that.

The age issue didn't even strike me as relevant. Live and learn. There are other similar age new old stock pairs on ebay that look beautiful, but I wouldn't touch those with a 10' pole now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Footjoy-Dryjoys-Aquaflex-Mens-Golf-Shoes-53444-NEW-Wh-Brn-9-5M/323767681702?hash=item4b620ec2a6:g:F9EAAOSwjwZcCdJ3&LH_ItemCondition=3

• @_the_crook@_the_crook Members Posts: 650 ✭✭

whether worn or not -
    polyester polyurethane and neoprene degrade with time.
    some shoes , new in box, have soles that crumble at the touch.
    Hydrolysis is the term.

currently playing:
    Steelhead III , FT-5 - D
    Warbirds, 3+, 4
    Hogan BH-5, 3-PW
    Wilson DynaPowered SW
    Ping Anser
    it works

when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from .

Found these on the bay. Anyone know how old they are? These predate the Dryjoy Tour's but I don't know how old exactly. Worth a chance? I've got some Icon's but the fit is a little tighter than Dryjoys.

• bellkenbellken Members Posts: 780 ✭✭

I think they were from around 2010. I bought some when the local Golf Galaxy closed down(2010). I, recently, donated a NIB pair to First Tee. In the intervening years my arches collapsed, and, they didn't fit any more.

• OctabogeyOctabogey Members Posts: 138 ✭✭

When Footjoy stopped making the Classic and Classic Tours I bought 5 pair of the Classic Tours (best golf shoe ever made!!! with non-leather soles) because I would would be able to get them refurbished by LaRossa. I'm on my second refurb on a couple of pairs, but the sole that LaRossa is using 'cracks' after only a couple of wearings. They claim that the soles are the same, but they differ in many ways. I am just about to give up and just accept the fact that nothing lasts forever! I have a sneaky suspicion that the 'odd' soles are coming from China and are a cheaper sole thatan the originals and the ones LaRossa used on the first resole!!

Ping G sf Driver 10*
    TISI 3 Wood 14*
    G-25 Hybrids 17*,20*, 23*
    G Irons 5-UW with Steelfibre i80
    Ping Ketch Putter, or Ping Scottsdale Anser BeNi
  • Wall-EWall-E Members Posts: 327 ✭✭

I sent my contour casual shoes to LaRossa's just to try them out and it was not worth the price. If I had to do it again, I would have just found someone local. I wasn’t that impressed.

• psygolfpsygolf Members Posts: 1,154 ✭✭

@Cottonseed. said:
    Time to buy some Eccos. FJ doesnt compare.

I had the same thing happen with a nice brown pair of goretex Ecco shoes that were years old, but hadn’t worn but once....because they are brown.
    I was told the I was out of luck...unrealistic to ask a company to cover them, you can ask of course, but then you move on.

• obsessed_golferobsessed_golfer Members Posts: 655 ✭✭

Had a pair of classics tours resoled by LaRossa and I was very pleased. The original sole cracked but these seem to be doing ok.