Footjoy Dryjoy Sole Broken/Crumbling

Nessism ·  
NessismNessism To measure is to know... 19291WRX Points: 1,385Members Posts: 19,291 Titanium Tees

I've been a faithful Dryjoy wearer going back to the metal spike days. The fit is perfect for my foot and they are comfortable and waterproof. I typically pick up a spare pair when they are on sale and save them for a rainy day. This strategy has never failed me until today. Broke out a fresh pair purchased a few years back only to have the sole blow apart and crumble before the round was over. I'm completely flumoxed and dissapointed. I realize that these shoes are not the latest model but still, they shouldn't fall apart like this. I shot Footjoy an email and thew myself on their mercy but not holding out much hope due to the shoes being an older model.

Posted:
Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

Comments

• RickKRickK Missouri City TX 1605WRX Points: 112Handicap: GHINMembers Posts: 1,605 Platinum Tees

Those are definitely from a quite a few years back. My question would be where have you had them stored all this time? The reason I ask, I had a similar pair that had been in my garage for couple of years (subjected to extreme Texas temperature changes). Got them out a few months ago and had similar issues as you have. On the other hand, I have an equally old pair which have been in my closet inside my home and don't have any issues with them.

Posted:

I know it says I am from Missouri City TX but I have moved to Weston Lakes TX.

Tried to change it in my profile 15 times so far, says "saved" but still does not change.

I give up.

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know...  19291WRX Points: 1,385Members Posts: 19,291 Titanium Tees

I had them stored inside, but I bought them from a discount outlet so I don't know the storage history going back to when they were first made. Not sure what the point of my posting this thread is since it's just a my bad situation. Guess just to warn people thinking about buying NOS shoes with plastic parts on them.

Posted:
  • acemandrakeacemandrake ROCHESTER NY 337WRX Points: 82Handicap: 12Members Posts: 337 Greens

"NOS" = Not on sale?

I'm the worst with acronyms.

Thanks

Posted:
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know...  19291WRX Points: 1,385Members Posts: 19,291 Titanium Tees

Anyone ever have a pair of golf shoes resoled? Footjoy recommends a place called LaRossa, but they want $175 for new soles.

Posted:
  • mjbfybmjbfyb  395WRX Points: 203Members Posts: 395 Greens

On -, @acemandrake said:

"NOS" = Not on sale?

I'm the worst with acronyms.

Thanks

New old stock

Posted:
  • golfunderpar18golfunderpar18  282WRX Points: 92Members Posts: 282 Greens

On -, @Nessism said:

Anyone ever have a pair of golf shoes resoled? Footjoy recommends a place called LaRossa, but they want $175 for new soles.

LaRossa is footjoys outsourced repair shop for their footwear. The $175 is for footjoy classics (leather soles). I've emailed with them before but haven't done it myself. Know someone that has and was happy but the dont stamp footjoy on the replacement soles which was disappointing to him.

As for the crumbling rubber sole - I've seen that on NOS nikes. Believe improper storage with high heat was the issue.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • cristphotocristphoto  3633WRX Points: 276Members Posts: 3,633 Titanium Tees

Going forward in your next pair of shoes after each round take a damp cloth and wipe the shoes down after each round. I also take mine and rinse off the soles under the sink and take a bristle brush to clean off the spikes. This gets rid of the chemicals from the course that can ruin shoes. About twice a year I also put on a coat of mink oil, let sit 15 minutes and wipe off.

Posted:
  • Cottonseed.Cottonseed.  244WRX Points: 90Members Posts: 244 Fairways

Time to buy some Eccos. FJ doesnt compare.

Posted:

On -, @golfunderpar18 said:

On -, @Nessism said:

LaRossa is footjoys outsourced repair shop for their footwear. The $175 is for footjoy classics (leather soles). I've emailed with them before but haven't done it myself. Know someone that has and was happy but the dont stamp footjoy on the replacement soles which was disappointing to him.

As for the crumbling rubber sole - I've seen that on NOS nikes. Believe improper storage with high heat was the issue.

$175 was the price listed on LaRossa's website. When I sent them photos of the shoes in question they quoted $190. Needless to say I'll pass.

Regarding taking care of my shoes, I've been wearing Dryjoys for many years now as mentioned in my original post and have never had any problems. In fact I love the shoes. The tops start to get scuffed up and the waterproof nature of the shoe starts to wear off after a couple of years which I'm fine with. I'll just get another pair.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I got my money back on the shoes from the seller. When I posted previously I mistakenly thought these were the pair I bought a couple years back but in reality, I bought them in January. The seller was reluctant to refund but when I reminded him that he advertised the shoes as being in perfect condition he reconsidered (that plus a paypal case changed his mind). ;)

Posted:
  • golfunderpar18golfunderpar18  282WRX Points: 92Members Posts: 282 Greens

Unfortunately buying new old stock comes with Potential challenges. Glad it worked out for you

Posted:
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984  5807WRX Points: 1,253Handicap: 3Members Posts: 5,807 Titanium Tees

I appreciate that they have not been worn but I am sure that they must be at least 14 years old. I'm not surprised that they ended up like that.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019

Advertisement

On -, @MattyO1984 said:

I appreciate that they have not been worn but I am sure that they must be at least 14 years old. I'm not surprised that they ended up like that.

The age issue didn't even strike me as relevant. Live and learn. There are other similar age new old stock pairs on ebay that look beautiful, but I wouldn't touch those with a 10' pole now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Footjoy-Dryjoys-Aquaflex-Mens-Golf-Shoes-53444-NEW-Wh-Brn-9-5M/323767681702?hash=item4b620ec2a6:g:F9EAAOSwjwZcCdJ3&LH_ItemCondition=3

Posted:
  • @_the_crook@_the_crook  838WRX Points: 323Members Posts: 838 Golden Tee

whether worn or not -
    polyester polyurethane and neoprene degrade with time.
    some shoes , new in box, have soles that crumble at the touch.
    Hydrolysis is the term.

Posted:
    currently playing:
    Steelhead III , FT-5 - D
    Warbirds, 3+, 4
    Hogan BH-5, 3-PW
    Wilson DynaPowered SW
    Ping Anser
    it works

when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from .

Found these on the bay. Anyone know how old they are? These predate the Dryjoy Tour's but I don't know how old exactly. Worth a chance? I've got some Icon's but the fit is a little tighter than Dryjoys.

Posted:
  • bellkenbellken  869WRX Points: 148Members Posts: 869 Golden Tee

I think they were from around 2010. I bought some when the local Golf Galaxy closed down(2010). I, recently, donated a NIB pair to First Tee. In the intervening years my arches collapsed, and, they didn't fit any more.

Posted:
  • OctabogeyOctabogey  146WRX Points: 73Handicap: 12Members Posts: 146 Fairways

When Footjoy stopped making the Classic and Classic Tours I bought 5 pair of the Classic Tours (best golf shoe ever made!!! with non-leather soles) because I would would be able to get them refurbished by LaRossa. I'm on my second refurb on a couple of pairs, but the sole that LaRossa is using 'cracks' after only a couple of wearings. They claim that the soles are the same, but they differ in many ways. I am just about to give up and just accept the fact that nothing lasts forever! I have a sneaky suspicion that the 'odd' soles are coming from China and are a cheaper sole thatan the originals and the ones LaRossa used on the first resole!!

Posted:
    Ping G sf Driver 10*
    TISI 3 Wood 14*
    G-25 Hybrids 17*,20*, 23*
    G Irons 5-UW with Steelfibre i80
    Ping Ketch Putter, or Ping Scottsdale Anser BeNi

Advertisement
  • Wall-EWall-E  342WRX Points: 50Members Posts: 342 Greens

I sent my contour casual shoes to LaRossa's just to try them out and it was not worth the price. If I had to do it again, I would have just found someone local. I wasn’t that impressed.

Posted:
  • psygolfpsygolf  1165WRX Points: 120Members Posts: 1,165 Platinum Tees

On -, @Cottonseed. said:

Time to buy some Eccos. FJ doesnt compare.

I had the same thing happen with a nice brown pair of goretex Ecco shoes that were years old, but hadn’t worn but once....because they are brown.
    I was told the I was out of luck...unrealistic to ask a company to cover them, you can ask of course, but then you move on.

Posted:
  • obsessed_golferobsessed_golfer  667WRX Points: 95Members Posts: 667 Golden Tee

Had a pair of classics tours resoled by LaRossa and I was very pleased. The original sole cracked but these seem to be doing ok.

Posted:
  • North ButteNorth Butte  11741WRX Points: 1,541Members Posts: 11,741 Titanium Tees

I once bought a pair of Ecco World Class shoes at an extreme knockdown price. Would never have considered them at the original $450 or whatever it was but for around 100 bucks I figured what the heck, they ought to be nice.

After ten rounds the soles delaminated and came loose from the shoe. I was too embarrassed to even ask Ecco to fix them (plus they were heavy and clunky and not really my kind of shoe anyway). Just chalked it up to a poor purchase decision. Seeing your situation, I wonder if maybe those Eccos had been stored in unsuitable conditions. They were like a 3-year-old model when I bought them but still had the original tags and such on them.

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • cxxcxx  3240WRX Points: 225Members Posts: 3,240 Titanium Tees

I've had several shoes from different brands fail after wearing them a few times. I found out the hard way that Nike warranties their shoes from the date of manufacture not the sale date. It seems that the construction techniques used today only hold up for a short lifetime. The ones constructed out of the most pieces with glue are the most vulnerable. I wouldn't leave too many on the shelf or buy any that are too old.

The old leather construction lasted a long time, but I wear the tops of mine out within a year anyway. The hard part is finding a shoe that fits the foot when they keep changing the lasts used to make them.

Edit: I think they build shoes to meet the requirements of the vast majority of golfers, the ones that ride and play on the weekend. The golfer who walks and plays frequently is not the target market.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • cristphotocristphoto  3633WRX Points: 276Members Posts: 3,633 Titanium Tees

On -, @cxx said:

I've had several shoes from different brands fail after wearing them a few times. I found out the hard way that Nike warranties their shoes from the date of manufacture not the sale date.

That policy stinks. So you could buy a new pair of shoes from a golf course pro shop that has slow turnover and they could be out of warranty before you even put them on? How is the purchaser to know when the shoes were made? My guess is if you kept the receipt and argued your case to Nike they would make good on a claim in the name of good PR. If not they would never see a penny of my money again.

Posted:
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl  6103WRX Points: 1,100Members Posts: 6,103 Titanium Tees

Had the same issue with the same model. Haven't had FJ since.

Posted:
  • WrigglesWriggles  3285WRX Points: 912Members Posts: 3,285 Titanium Tees

On -, @cxx said:

I've had several shoes from different brands fail after wearing them a few times. I found out the hard way that Nike warranties their shoes from the date of manufacture not the sale date. It seems that the construction techniques used today only hold up for a short lifetime. The ones constructed out of the most pieces with glue are the most vulnerable. I wouldn't leave too many on the shelf or buy any that are too old.

The old leather construction lasted a long time, but I wear the tops of mine out within a year anyway. The hard part is finding a shoe that fits the foot when they keep changing the lasts used to make them.

Edit: I think they build shoes to meet the requirements of the vast majority of golfers, the ones that ride and play on the weekend. The golfer who walks and plays frequently is not the target market.

A couple years ago, I bought two pairs of Nike Air golf shoes from Dunhams. A few months later one pair developed a severe leak. (I walk exclusively.) Took back to the store, where the rude lady manager refused to honor any warranty. She parroted company policy, that any shoe with any sign of being worn, is not returnable. I emailed Dunhams main office several times, and was never contacted. Tough luck. Nike's warranty starts in China. My shoes were out of warranty before I bought them. The second pair developed leaks soon after the first pair.
    It seems today's golf shoes are meant to be worn on the finest groomed golf courses, while riding a cart. Walkers and cow pasture golfers need not apply.
    Beware of Nike and the retailer Dunhams.

Posted:
  • WrigglesWriggles  3285WRX Points: 912Members Posts: 3,285 Titanium Tees

On -, @cristphoto said:

On -, @cxx said:

I've had several shoes from different brands fail after wearing them a few times. I found out the hard way that Nike warranties their shoes from the date of manufacture not the sale date.

That policy stinks. So you could buy a new pair of shoes from a golf course pro shop that has slow turnover and they could be out of warranty before you even put them on? How is the purchaser to know when the shoes were made? My guess is if you kept the receipt and argued your case to Nike they would make good on a claim in the name of good PR. If not they would never see a penny of my money again.

Nike puts the manufacture date on a label sewn on the tongue inside of the shoe. In my case, I had the receipt, the box, shoes were pristine, and still, tough luck.
    Speaking of poor quality, i've bought Callaway shoes for decades. Most gave excellent service, usually waterproof into the second year of heavy wear. The last pair, a Balboa vent, no waterproof warranty whatsoever.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.