install 3 wood shaft on driver...results?

BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,090 ✭✭
edited Apr 1, 2019 2:40am in WRX Club Techs #1

What effect do you see if you install your 3 wood shaft onto your driver. (Same type shaft). Assuming it is just as easy as unscrewing with the tool and swapping them out. More control? A lot less yardage ? What...?

Thanks

Comments

• cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,296 ✭✭

The usual tipping for a 3-wood is 1/2 inch vs no tipping for driver so I would think it would play stiffer (just guessing though). .

• lookylookitzadamlookylookitzadam Members Posts: 399 ✭✭

Depends on the shaft weight and length, swing weight is going to be way off the map. You will need to add lots of tape to compensate and get it back to a playable swing weight.

If you got it all adjusted and all things being equal, you would lose club head speed due to the shorter length but could pick up distance if you launch conditions improve.

Ultimately though it will probably feel pretty bad.

• JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,159 ✭✭

I’ve been playing my driver at 43.5” for over 20 years. That’s 1/2 inch longer than most modern 3 woods. I Do have the swing weight set at a “normal” level as well by adding weight to the head.

Distance is not a concern for me. I still swing it 110 mph. I can’t even fathom using a 45+ inch monster anymore. My 3 wood is also an inch short at 42 inches with weight added to the head to match the driver swingweight.

9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • noaces06noaces06 Members Posts: 370 ✭✭

I've played a 43.5" driver for years and have never had an issue with feel, swing speed or distance. It works for me because of better control and a higher likelihood of hitting the center of the face.

Will it work for you? Depends - do you have issues with center contact? Do you have big misses (slice/hook)? I've converted a handful of players at my club to shorter drivers based on how much easier they are to control without a loss of distance.

If you're worried about feel - play with the shaft. I play a 70TX in my driver, but due to the shorter length, it plays a bit softer. I also don't adjust the swingweight - never have and I don't have an issue with feel or loss of distance so that's up to you. Experiment with it and see if you enjoy the feel.

Noaces' WITB...

Callaway Rogue 9* w/ Handcrafted HZRDUS Yellow (playing at 43.5)
    Cobra F8+ @ 13.5* w/ Fubuki J 70x
    Titleist 816 h2 23* w/ Diamana D+ 92x
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i w/ DG X100
    Titleist 712 AP2 5 - PW w/ DG X100
    Vokey SM6 50/54/58
    Scotty Cameron Futura 6M
  • offwhiteoffwhite Members Posts: 115 ✭✭

I threw the shaft from my sldr 4w into my sldr head for a while and I liked it. It’s a heavier shaft and I weighed both heads, bringing the sldr head up with lead tape. Ended up playing at about 43.5. Felt fine, maybe it played a little shorter. My sweet spot ended up being 44.5, but actually my sldr is still in backup bag with the same 4w shaft in it.

SLDR 10.5 Matrix Ozik X
    SLDR 3hl TP Fuji ts 8.3X
    585h 17* rifle 6.5
    Mizuno MP 68 4-PW PX 6.0
    Mizuno MP R-12 52, 56, 60
    Odyssey Tour Black
  • Awainer1Awainer1 Members Posts: 847 ✭✭

Digging this thread. Also playing a shorter driver helps it play flatter which in my mind more people should do.

• offwhiteoffwhite Members Posts: 115 ✭✭

On that note, the lie angles on my irons also play 2* flat so makes sense it’s be more comfortable.

SLDR 10.5 Matrix Ozik X
    SLDR 3hl TP Fuji ts 8.3X
    585h 17* rifle 6.5
    Mizuno MP 68 4-PW PX 6.0
    Mizuno MP R-12 52, 56, 60
    Odyssey Tour Black
  • blackngold_bloodblackngold_blood Golf Ball Whacker Guy Members Posts: 953 ✭✭
    edited Apr 5, 2019 11:50pm #9

@noaces06 said:

If you're worried about feel - play with the shaft.** I play a 70TX in my driver, but due to the shorter length, it plays a bit softer. I also don't adjust the swingweight - **never have and I don't have an issue with feel or loss of distance so that's up to you. Experiment with it and see if you enjoy the feel.

I don't believe this will actually be the case. It will play slightly stiffer if you don't add any weight back to the head not softer.

WITB

Work in progress and will be updated after St. Andrews!!

Ball: OnCore Elixr

@blackngold_blood said:

@noaces06 said:

If you're worried about feel - play with the shaft.** I play a 70TX in my driver, but due to the shorter length, it plays a bit softer. I also don't adjust the swingweight - **never have and I don't have an issue with feel or loss of distance so that's up to you. Experiment with it and see if you enjoy the feel.

I don't believe this will actually be the case. It will play slightly stiffer if you don't add any weight back to the head not softer.

Based on everything I've read, butt trimming softens the shaft - the butt is always the stiffest portion of the shaft and removing material from there softens the overall flex. Tip trimming would certainly stiffen up the shaft, but that isn't the case with the butt. At least according to the videos I've seen on it.

Noaces' WITB...

Vokey SM6 50/54/58
    Scotty Cameron Futura 6M
  • cforseliuscforselius Members Posts: 325 ✭✭

I put a Oban Kiyoshi 85g X-Flex tipped 0.5 inch into a 917 D3 playing 43.75. Did not do anything about SW and hit really good solid drives first round of the year. It feels amazing and looks even better.

• PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,390 ✭✭
    edited Apr 16, 2019 6:48pm #12

I installed a 43" shaft in an old driver and lost distance. How much maybe 15yds? I have tested every 1/2" from 43" to 45.5" shaft for driver playing length and settled on 44.5" as the best length for minimal dispersion, lots of control, and overall distance. Oh, and I especially like TS2 at 9.5* B2 over 917D2 10.5* B2

• Titleist TS2 9.5, Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec 60 "S"
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, Blueboard 83 x5ct,"S"
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, Tour AD Utility, "S"
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-PW, C-Taper Tour
    • SM6 F-52*, C-Taper Tour
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1

@noaces06 said:

@blackngold_blood said:

@noaces06 said:

Based on everything I've read, butt trimming softens the shaft - the butt is always the stiffest portion of the shaft and removing material from there softens the overall flex. Tip trimming would certainly stiffen up the shaft, but that isn't the case with the butt. At least according to the videos I've seen on it.

I have never read anywhere that trimming anything off a shaft from either end softens it. Now if you take a driver shaft and trim it down 1” from the butt and reinstall it in the same head the shaft will play stiffer due to a lighter swing weight. If you then add weight back to the head to get the proper swing weight it will play slightly softer due to more head weight compared to the original. This is the reason most recommend tipping slightly if adding weight to the head.

WITB

• PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,390 ✭✭

@noaces06 said:
    I've played a 43.5" driver for years and have never had an issue with feel, swing speed or distance. It works for me because of better control and a higher likelihood of hitting the center of the face.

Will it work for you? Depends - do you have issues with center contact? Do you have big misses (slice/hook)? I've converted a handful of players at my club to shorter drivers based on how much easier they are to control without a loss of distance.

If you're worried about feel - play with the shaft. I play a 70TX in my driver, but due to the shorter length, it plays a bit softer. I also don't adjust the swingweight - never have and I don't have an issue with feel or loss of distance so that's up to you. Experiment with it and see if you enjoy the feel.

Shortening driver shaft is only done by butt trimming, and that should not soften flex profile. Never has for me. It will, however, weaken swing weight by 3 SW points for each 1/2" cut off.

• Titleist TS2 9.5, Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec 60 "S"
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, Blueboard 83 x5ct,"S"
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, Tour AD Utility, "S"
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-PW, C-Taper Tour
    • SM6 F-52*, C-Taper Tour
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1

@Pepperturbo said:

@noaces06 said:

Shortening driver shaft is only done by butt trimming, and that should not soften flex profile. Never has for me. It will, however, weaken swing weight by 3 SW points for each 1/2" cut off.

All I know is that the tour van guy from Project X did a video on this exact conversation - frequency testing a standard length vs a 1" butt cut. The butt cut shaft came out softer (frequency) than the uncut, by almost a full flex. You may have a different feel and disagree - for me, I'm going with the PX video and my experience. At the end of the day, it's all about feel - if you like the feel (softer or not) then it's a good fit for you.

Noaces' WITB...

Vokey SM6 50/54/58
    Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

@noaces06 said:

@Pepperturbo said:

@noaces06 said:

All I know is that the tour van guy from Project X did a video on this exact conversation - frequency testing a standard length vs a 1" butt cut. The butt cut shaft came out softer (frequency) than the uncut, by almost a full flex. You may have a different feel and disagree - for me, I'm going with the PX video and my experience. At the end of the day, it's all about feel - if you like the feel (softer or not) then it's a good fit for you.

Link to the video? I just don’t see how shortening can make it softer without adding head weight.

WITB

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,876 ✭✭
    edited Apr 17, 2019 8:03am #17

@blackngold_blood said:
    Link to the video? I just don’t see how shortening can make it softer without adding head weight.

I agree it would be good to get the link - but as I understand it, most butt frequency "standards" or methods depend on keeping the swing weight constant when the length changes - so it's very possible he might have added some head weight. That's one of the major differences between golf shaft 'stiffness' measurements and a more pure engineering beam theory view of stiffness. In the later, take the same beam and shorten it in any way and it will always be stiffer. In the golf context, that's not always the case.

• sumo101sumo101 19th Hole Connoisseur Posts: 81 ✭✭

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1721620/if-i-cut-down-g400-max-from-45-5-to-44-5-what-weight-would-i-need/p1
    This was effectively how I ended up with the G400 MAX with a 43.5" shaft - if you don't want to read the whole thread the summary is:

Zero distance loss (reality is distance gained - about 8 real world yards) more fairways hit and more confidence.

Cheers

Ping G400 Max 10.5 Alta Stiff
    Ping G400 3 Wood SFT Alta Stiff
    Ping G400 Hybrids 3 & 4 Alta Stiff
    Ping i200 4-U Nippon Pro Modus 105 S
    Ping Glide 2 54 SS & 58 ES Pro Modus 105 S
    Odyssey WHP #9/Yes Mollie/TR1966 Anser