Do I need a TX x stiff shaft?

ihatecats18

How often you play in a month? In season, 10-15 rounds a month

How often you practice in a month? 1 x a week

How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? It won't matter good or bad consistency. 8

What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using? 2.1 GHIN

What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter? Long Irons are weakness, rest are strong

Driver fitting questionnaire:

What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, length, etc ) As detail as possible please. – Cobra FLY Z+ Fubuki Z60 x5ct flex x, 43.66 inch, Standard 10.5. Played a M1 tour 440 with an X stiff 661 speeder, face was too open for me. I have never truly felt the difference in my friend’s 2nd version of the M1 in moving weights on the club.

What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader? I want it to be smooth, but it is usually a quick swing with the driver. I have a fairly heavy load on top.

On a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? where is your striking ability? 8. Usually have 1 really bad swing per round.

What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? With my driver, the flair fade pops up where it feels like a great swing but the clubhead “buckles” open at contact. When I correct this and have a longer swing path (less rotation) I get the pulls. Happens with my 3 wood as well.

Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT & A MUST! DO NOT POST IF YOU DON'T HAVE A COMPLETE LM DATA. 

I get my data off HD GOLF simulator data. I have used Trackman 2.0 and have gotten similar numbers- Club Speed: 115, Ball Speed: 176 mph, Smash Factor 1.45, Carry, 289 – Total 308 – Spin Rate 2300 – Launch Angle 12 – Club Path ~+1.3 - Face Angle 0 to 0.3 , I use TM TP balls

What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? – Control Misses, not have that face buckle feel, more piercing ball flight.

What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where? A pull when playing a fade. Or aiming straighter the flair fade, where I don’t lose distance. Will have a random 280 yard “burner” where the ball won’t peak above 10 feet in height.

What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? Straight to baby fade

If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade? Medium to high baby fade

What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? Clay and black dirt. Midwest.

Body build and postures? height? etc. Broad shoulders, 5”11, athletic.

What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer) Size Large glove, 7.2 inch palm to middle finger

If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be? I am somewhere between Fowler & Woodland. I have a lower steeper swing. I think to ring the bell on the downswing. For instance, on irons and wedges I usually battle too much backspin on wedges.

etc. I think/am worried that my swing is in the 1% and I do need legitimate X STIFF tour shafts, most in store shafts I hit that are X STIFF feel too whippy. I have tipped and butt cut shafts but have never found the proper feel of stiffness. I have bounced back and forth between standard, +4, and midsize grips. Do i go 75 or 80 weight to remove the whip feel?

Hopefully a whole new setup coming soon!

Ping Anser 2 putter

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Without LM numbers, how can we even start to help....

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

> @noodle3872 said:

> Without LM numbers, how can we even start to help....

Club Speed: 115, Ball Speed: 176 mph, Smash Factor 1.45, Carry, 289 – Total 308 – Spin Rate 2300 – Launch Angle 12 – Club Path ~+1.3 - Face Angle 0 to 0.3 , I use TM TP balls

Ping Anser 2 putter

> @ihatecats18 said:

> > @noodle3872 said:

> > Without LM numbers, how can we even start to help....

>

> Club Speed: 115, Ball Speed: 176 mph, Smash Factor 1.45, Carry, 289 – Total 308 – Spin Rate 2300 – Launch Angle 12 – Club Path ~+1.3 - Face Angle 0 to 0.3 , I use TM TP balls

175/115 = 1.53 ?

How did you work that smash factor out. That ball speed is impossible with that chs

> @axh819 said:

> > @ihatecats18 said:

> > > @noodle3872 said:

> > > Without LM numbers, how can we even start to help....

> >

> > Club Speed: 115, Ball Speed: 176 mph, Smash Factor 1.45, Carry, 289 – Total 308 – Spin Rate 2300 – Launch Angle 12 – Club Path ~+1.3 - Face Angle 0 to 0.3 , I use TM TP balls

>

> 175/115 = 1.53 ?

>

> How did you work that smash factor out. That ball speed is impossible with that chs

Just wrote down screenshots of the hd golf sim's numbers on to a post.

Ping Anser 2 putter

Try a better launch monitor. Numbers don’t add up

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

You could go to a TX right now, but there isn't really any difference between an X or a TX. Companies usually just put TX on their heavier weighted OR more premium X-flex options (i.e. Mitsubishi and Aldila). Sometimes they denote slightly lower launching and spin characteristics compared to their regular model (ala Fujikura). At your launch and spin, assuming the HD golf is kind of sort of correct, then no you are fine. 12* launch and 2300 spin is ideal, and so is 1.5 smash. There's really not much to change here. That "face buckling" feeling you are getting is called compression, it's a good thing. Older Cobra drivers had faces to emphasize this sensation. So unless you really feel like changing heads, you are going to get that feeling regardless. The Mitsubishi Fubuki Z is a softer profile shaft. If you think you want a more piercing flight (despite your pretty well ideal numbers), try something with a stiffer tipped profile, like the Kuro Kage XD, Diamana DF, Tensei White, or Rogue Silver 130 if you want to stay in the Aldila/Mitsubishi family. There are dozens of additional shafts if you are open to other brands, but as always, I would suggest going through a real-life fitting not one online.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

> @ihatecats18 said:

> etc. I think/am worried that my swing is in the 1% and I do need legitimate X STIFF tour shafts, most in store shafts I hit that are X STIFF feel too whippy. I have tipped and butt cut shafts but have never found the proper feel of stiffness. I have bounced back and forth between standard, +4, and midsize grips. Do i go 75 or 80 weight to remove the whip feel?

>

Don't assume heavier will mean stiffer. Different shaft companies and even models have different design approaches as far as managing the stiffness profile as the weight changes. In some cases it will but in others it will not e.g. In general (there are always exceptions) Aldila tends to keep the profile the same as the weight increases while UST likes to increase stiffness quite a bit as the weight goes up.

Bottom line pick weight such that the weight feel matches and fits into your desired rhythm and tempo first - then address the stiffness issue separately.

Again, it's also a generalization - but more often than not, X to TX tends to increase the torsional stiffness (lower torque values) more than the stiffness profile. Players with later releases and lots of face closure through impact tend to prefer the lower torque shafts but it really is entirely a 'feel' thing. If you prefer the feel of the lower torque and/or stiffer shafts, then yes, that's what you should be playing.

What are some of the stiffer shafts that you've tried (and how much tipping) that still feels too whippy?

> @ihatecats18 said:

>What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? With my driver, the flair fade pops up where it feels like a great swing but the clubhead “buckles” open at contact. When I correct this and have a longer swing path (less rotation) I get the pulls. Happens with my 3 wood as well.

It might feel that way - but that's not a shaft stiffness issue - that's an impact issue - and going stiffer wont fix the problem. Your smash factor is pretty low for your handicap. That is another sign of likely inconsistent face impact location and can be the major source of inconsistent results (and not hitting the center of the face can make any shaft seem 'looser' than it really might be). When you don't hit the center of the face, it doesn't matter how stiff the shaft is, the club will rotate open/closed (depending on where the impact occurs). Second, that opening will effect the spin a lot thanks to gear effect (heel hits will add slice spin, toe hits will add hook spin) - but the starting direction really isn't affected all that much - that will largely come from your delivery of the head into imact. Get some foot powder spray and check that (don't rely on feel). The most effect solution to help with that impact is going shorter with the playing length.

Here is a very good tutorial to guide you to find that best playing length (and shaft weight).

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/909991/diy-driver-tune-up-diy-fitting/p1

As Stuart mentioned, "Tour" shafts usually have lower torque ratings which will make them "Feel" stiffer and more in control. If you feel your loosing control of the clubhead, I would strongly suggest you try one at least. Also, there are shafts like the Aldila RIP Alpha that are built as a tour shaft without having the tour on the label. The 70 X is a pretty firm shaft. I have an 80 S that is firmer than any TX shaft I have played. Extremely solid and short money online. Could be a good candidate for testing.

Good luck!

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize