2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2019 ANA Inspiration Apr 04 - 07

**Race to the CME Globe:** 625 Points

**Format:** 72 holes

**Purse:** $3,000,000

**Location:** Mission Hill Country Club, Dinah Shore Tournament Course, Rancho Mirage, CA

**Par:** 72

**Yardage:** 6,763

**History:** This is the 48th year for the event, and its 37th as a major. In 2018, Sweden’s Pernilla Lindberg broke through on Monday morning on the 8th playoff hole to claim her first LPGA victory. She dropped a 30-foot birdie putt on the fourth playoff hole of the morning to stamp her long awaited signature LPGA moment.

Coverage:

* Apr 04: Golf Channel 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm (ET)

* Apr 04: Golf Channel 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm (ET)

* Apr 05: Golf Channel 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm (ET)

* Apr 05: Golf Channel 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm (ET)

* Apr 06: Golf Channel 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm (ET)

* Apr 07: Golf Channel 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm (ET)

![](http://www.lpga.com/-/media/images/lpga/tournaments/ana-inspiration/overview-page-images/ana_inspiration_coursemap.jpg "")

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

OK, time for a major. Note the split TV times on Thursday and Friday. Also, as I noted in the odds & ends thread, double check your DVR recording schedule. My cable provider has the tournament listed without the "LPGA" in the title, so it didn't get automatically scheduled.

The weather forecast looks near perfect, with partly sunny skies, and temperatures in the 80's the first three rounds, and the high 90's on Sunday. Winds should be moderate with gusts up to 15 mph.

It's going to be a tough pick this week. There are over a dozen players in great form that could take the leap. I'm going to go with a fairly safe pick, Inbee. She was 2T last year, and finished 2nd at the Kia. I'm expecting Nelly and Sung Hyun to contend. Jin Young is also worth considering. I'm not sure Ariya has her A game at this time. Minjee was in superb form early in the season, but she's stumbled a bit the past few weeks. If she's going to win her first major, it's time to put the bad rounds aside. I expect Lydia to finish in the top 10.

This is a special tournament for me this year. It was ten years ago that I turned on the LPGA and watched Brittany Lincicome eagle the final hole to beat Cristie and Kristy by a shot to claim her first major. I've been a huge fan ever since, and haven't missed a single televised tournament. Their precision, tempo, course management, and demeanor was something I could hope to copy.

• Like 2

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I know every week is a new one and anything is possible but these are player I don't think will win. Ariya, So Yeon, Brooke, Lexi, Danielle Kang, Moriya, "SIX", Angel Yin, Sei Young and Anna Norquist, none of the player have been able to avoid a round of 72-77 during a tournament with a degree of difficulty that's why I don't include the founders for consideration. you can have an even par of slightly above par round and finish Top 20 or even Top 10 but without 4 under par rounds on the LPGA you're not winning most weeks. Again I must add though, that NAsa would have been in this group until Saturday at the Kia where she found something and went off the last 2 days. So again anything is possible just from I've this season far, I don't see any of them battling on Sunday.

> @WestTex said:

> That's crazy. I had no idea she was that close in the running. That scenario isn't **too** far fetched, SHP did miss the cut at the USWO last year I think. Of course I don't think she will this weekend, but stranger things...

Either it's parity or depth of field; No. 1 in the world isn't what it used to be.

Tiger used to have ranking points of 30.0 or higher, Yani Tseng and Lorena Ochoa 20.0 or higher; Sung Hyun Park is No. 1 this week with a score of 7.06.

I understand some bells and whistles of the ANA are designed to make people associate it with the Masters. From the champions dinner, the caddy jumpsuit, the "robe" , down to the limited field. This last being 112 this year .

Despite what Mike Whan says, LPGA has lost two full field events this year ( Bahamas and the Volvik ) . Opportunities are still short if you are low in the pecking order. I know they want to create an air of exclusivity, but it should not come at the cost of playing opportunities.

Rooting for Albane Valenzuela - if Brooke cannot pull it off - nice to see her and some of the other ams not treating the ANA as an opposite field event to what the green jackets are putting on down in that bastion of womankind Georgia.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Back to back wins is tough, but Nasa is looking good out there. Hard to argue with Argonne and his choice. I`m in for Jin Young as my choice. I`ll assume the Korda`s and DK will play well also, I wouldn`t mind watching them take the leap either.

My only wish is the winner is not another one hit wonder this year, yeah that`s you Pernilla.

> @duffer987 said:

> Rooting for Albane Valenzuela - if Brooke cannot pull it off - nice to see her and some of the other ams not treating the ANA as an opposite field event to what the green jackets are putting on down in that bastion of womankind Georgia.

The irony is, if you are among the best women golfers in the world the only way you'll ever play in Augusta is if a man invites you lol Well I guess Condie or the other token female member they have can invite them to play.

> @Stooch said:

> > @duffer987 said:

> > Rooting for Albane Valenzuela - if Brooke cannot pull it off - nice to see her and some of the other ams not treating the ANA as an opposite field event to what the green jackets are putting on down in that bastion of womankind Georgia.

>

> The irony is, if you are among the best women golfers in the world the only way you'll ever play in Augusta is if a man invites you lol Well I guess Condie or the other token female member they have can invite them to play.

Or win a mens event with an invite spot to the tournament.

omg then this is your origin story Argonne - you were bitten by a radioactive Brittany! Who would have known, it's funny what things can lead to. Is she a fave? I am glad they were on form that day then.

Good picks ... it seems like Jin Young is now usually going to be a weekend threat. Actually, this season she has gone: 2T, 1, 3T, 29T, 2. That's kind of crazy. Looking at that she seems like the smartest bet right now.

Gee, Stooch, if you're going to make a list of not-going-to-win, isn't that just going to be most of the field? Painful to see So Yeon there, but have to agree that she's still not in gear. Hoping soon. Six I have to disagree about; I remember being pretty exciting early this year, don't see a reason to count her out.

Well, despite Jin Young's brilliance, I am picking Minjee! I just have to believe she will win soon. Last weekend she was looking close halfway through, and she was T3 here two years ago too.

This is a great time to be a fan of women's professional golf. So many great competitors. I'm expecting Ariya and So Yeon to make adjustments and find themselves back in the top ten.

I'm not picking her to win, but there seems to be a calmness around Lydia Ko. In both her play and demeanor, and off the course as well(no major changes or firings lately). I expect her to finish within the top 10.

I can't settle on one of the US based Tour players to pick, so I'm picking former world no. 1, Jiyai Shin, to win this week. She's as capable and as hot as anyone in the field this week.

Interesting comments on three tees being moved back, a few fairways brought in, and the rough being thicker than normal due to the rain but the greens are still firm.

Lexi seemed to be sticking with the give it a whack with the driver strategy. Of the players that have been playing well, was wondering if this favors Inbee and Jin Young Ko a bit more vs. the intermediate length (and accuracy) players like Minjee, Nasa, Ryu (added as she's mentioned a lot but clearly not playing well). The longer players always have an advantage if they can get in in the fairway a reasonable amount. Thinking Lydia might be facing a lot lot of pressure on her short game if her tee ball is shorter and relatively inaccurate this week.

Obviously, there are so many factors and it will mainly depend on who's hitting it well (all facets) and making putts...

Interesting listening to Marina Alex evaluating her own swing in the pro am telecast. She says she has poor hip mobility, so she just rolls with it, and gets minimal hip / shoulder separation. Also, she describes her release as a flip, and said her straight driving is a result of her confidence in the flip. She also said she does not “cover” the ball. She sounds like she is from the Arnold Palmer “swing your swing” school of thought.

> @Mellow said:

> omg then this is your origin story Argonne - you were bitten by a radioactive Brittany! Who would have known, it's funny what things can lead to. Is she a fave? I am glad they were on form that day then.

>

I like Brittany, but I wouldn't call her a fave. I think she had a lot of potential, but let it go to waste. She never seemed to be 100% dedicated to the game.

Yeah, twosomes are new. 'Makes it harder for the local fans, though.

A few players off to a good start. 'No surprise to see Aza, Sei Young, Gaby, and Danielle under par in the early going. Megan in the lead at -2 is a bit of a surprise. She's had a tough start to the season.

> @Yuck said:

> Interesting listening to Marina Alex evaluating her own swing in the pro am telecast. She says she has poor hip mobility, so she just rolls with it, and gets minimal hip / shoulder separation. Also, she describes her release as a flip, and said her straight driving is a result of her confidence in the flip. She also said she does not “cover” the ball. She sounds like she is from the Arnold Palmer “swing your swing” school of thought.

That is quite a description. Reminds me of Azinger ragging on himself, years ago. He was like 'Yeah, I just need to accept that I play the ball back in my stance, shut the face down and trap it... that's my swing, not much I can do about it at this point.'