Is on course technology ruining the game for amateurs?

This is a topic I have been thinking about for a few years. Seeing the advances in technology (not clubs) and how many amateurs are utilizing range finders, GPS apps, ect, I wonder if this is helping the individuals game of golf? a few years back, you walked off your distances and pulled a club much like a pro does. Just curious as to your thoughts about players pulling out a device for 5 minutes each shot and getting their distances and information electronically as opposed to manually. Ill be honest, when I play with someone with devices like that, it seems to slow down the round and doesn't help with scoring. Thoughts?

I use my rangefinder 5 - 10 **seconds** per shot (yes, I occasionally lase more than the flagstick which takes extra time, but never 5 minutes). It has improved my scoring by a couple of shots per round or so. Given how inaccurately many courses are marked, using a laser rangefinder is a quick way to get close to the information the pros have access to. So I disagree with your premise.

• Like 2

Most guys I see add a minute or so to each shot (but it feels like 5)...so you have picked up a few shots per round? that's great. Its not really a premise because there is no conclusion. Its more of a question and discussion of thought. Appreciate the response! ty> @ThinkingPlus said:

> I use my rangefinder 5 - 10 **seconds** per shot (yes, I occasionally lase more than the flagstick which takes extra time, but never 5 minutes). It has improved my scoring by a couple of shots per round or so. Given how inaccurately many courses are marked, using a laser rangefinder is a quick way to get close to the information the pros have access to. So I disagree with your premise.

I can see your line of thinking here, and I think it may depend on the way that each person uses that technology, but for me - I can play faster using a rangefinder. A lot of the courses I play regularly don't have yardages marked on sprinklers - so you are going off of the lines painted on the cart path and on the middle of the fairway. Instead of having to find one of those and walking it off, I can grab the rangefinder (I have mine on a magnetic strap so it is stuck on the cart frame when I ride) and shoot the flag, bunker, etc in just a few seconds. I have found that since I started using a rangefinder, my "guesses" on yardage are more consistent as well, so I would say it has helped my game and helped me play faster at the same time.

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

I love my GPS. Front, back and middle to green is all I need. Since I walk, it’s much easier to club when I’m in the rough. Most of my shots are hole high now than ever. Much more accurate than guesstimating.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

I don't think I have ever seen someone (myself included) use a device for longer than 15 seconds to get the yardages they need. Most probably average about 8 seconds. I think this is one of those things where some people that just hate the tech immediately go to complain mode and are convinced it's just bad. That, or you're playing with slow players who'd be slow no matter what.

• Like 1

I added a Golf Buddy LR-5 laser rangefinder to my bag last year for $120 and it's one of the best tools I could've had. Not only does it perform exactly the same as the over-priced high-dollar units by instantly providing me with exact yardages but it's simple and easy to use.

I agree with the above that it takes about 10 seconds and quickly becomes second nature to whip it out prior to almost any approach shot. And since most of my friends have them as well it's usually only 1 or 2 people that shoot yardages on a given hole. On a Par-3, only one guy needs to shoot the pin for instance.

Anyone taking longer than 10 seconds is a dork who needs to be chastised for slow play. I have a friend who plays a little bit slow, but then again it ain't his GPS that makes him slow.

As for pacing yardages, thank God I don't witness people doing that. What a waste of time when a $100 rangefinder can resolve the issue entirely.

And as for whether it detracts from the experience of the game, eh, IDK. Everyone's out there to play their best. I adopted a Garmin GPS shortly after getting serious about golf. It didn't detract from the game at all for me. It enhanced it by allowing me to better understand how to manage my game. Now that I have a rangefinder, my game is even more accurate (especially my wedges!).

Technically, the Pro's have always played with accurate yardages while weekend amateurs have done without. All we're doing is gaining the same advantage a Pro would have.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @tsecor said:

> Most guys I see add a minute or so to each shot (but it feels like 5)...so you have picked up a few shots per round? that's great. Its not really a premise because there is no conclusion. Its more of a question and discussion of thought. Appreciate the response! ty> @ThinkingPlus said:

> > I use my rangefinder 5 - 10 **seconds** per shot (yes, I occasionally lase more than the flagstick which takes extra time, but never 5 minutes). It has improved my scoring by a couple of shots per round or so. Given how inaccurately many courses are marked, using a laser rangefinder is a quick way to get close to the information the pros have access to. So I disagree with your premise.

>

>

I have been using LRFs for a long time so I am pretty time efficient with them. If I don't know the course or get out of position it takes a bit longer because of the extra targets to assess. I know some will question the couple stroke improvement, but knowing distances to the yard vs 5-10 yards is a big deal from scoring club distance. Also it is easier to fully commit to a shot if you know the yardage is very precise. No distance uncertainty scratching at the back of your brain.

• Like 1

If someone takes 5 min to range a target they are slow no matter what technology they use. It maybe takes 10 seconds at most to use a rangefinder and have a club selected. I still play both ways because the golf association i'm in doesn't allow them. It takes much longer to use markers and yardage books to get distances on landmarks/hazards/pins.

So to say it slows down pace of play just makes me think the person is a slow player no matter what they happen to get distances with.

not really. maybe its the opposite...someone who loves the tech hates when an opposite opinion is mentioned?? I'm just giving you my experience with the laser guys....they laser a pin and get three readings, then talk about it......it adds a lot to the shot time along with their warm up swings.....and when they hit it short or in the woods, it becomes a SMH moment> @GowerND11 said:

> I don't think I have ever seen someone (myself included) use a device for longer than 15 seconds to get the yardages they need. Most probably average about 8 seconds. I think this is one of those things where some people that just hate the tech immediately go to complain mode and are convinced it's just bad. That, or you're playing with slow players who'd be slow no matter what.

if you can quantify scoring improvements, then that is great. Glad it works out for you. Money well spent. > @ThinkingPlus said:

> > @tsecor said:

> > Most guys I see add a minute or so to each shot (but it feels like 5)...so you have picked up a few shots per round? that's great. Its not really a premise because there is no conclusion. Its more of a question and discussion of thought. Appreciate the response! ty> @ThinkingPlus said:

> > > I use my rangefinder 5 - 10 **seconds** per shot (yes, I occasionally lase more than the flagstick which takes extra time, but never 5 minutes). It has improved my scoring by a couple of shots per round or so. Given how inaccurately many courses are marked, using a laser rangefinder is a quick way to get close to the information the pros have access to. So I disagree with your premise.

> >

> >

>

> I have been using LRFs for a long time so I am pretty time efficient with them. If I don't know the course or get out of position it takes a bit longer because of the extra targets to assess. I know some will question the couple stroke improvement, but knowing distances to the yard vs 5-10 yards is a big deal from scoring club distance. Also it is easier to fully commit to a shot if you know the yardage is very precise. No distance uncertainty scratching at the back of your brain.

If a guy gets 3 distinct yardages with a rangefinder shooting the same target, he's an idiot.

In all seriousness, maybe he's a senior with shaky hands or something? Anyhow, but that's ridiculous. If he can't use it reliably without taking 5 minutes he shouldn't have it. But I've never come across what you're describing. Most guys who are dedicated enough to have rangefinders aren't the clueless morons you're describing.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I think it cuts both ways. Technology can be extremely helpful but it can also be very detrimental. It depends on how it's being used. I will give an example. Rangefinders, when used properly, can help speed up play. If used improperly, can be mind-numbingly exhausting. Last Friday afternoon, I was walking behind a twosome who were also walking at my home club. For 9 holes, they would each play a tee-shot, walk to one players ball, study a rangefinder, go through a pre-shot routine, play a shot, simultaneously move on to the other players ball and go through the same scenario before heading toward the green. It was maddening to watch two guys walk to one ball only to have them walk to the other players ball before heading toward the green. On several occasions, one would be in the left rough while the other was in the right rough. Yet, they still went together to one anothers balls. They were seemingly joined at the hip.

Thankfully, they stopped after 9 holes. By the time we got to the 9th green, there were at least 7 groups behind us and they weren't happy. I politely asked the two guys why they were stacking up play by walking together to each others balls rather than splitting off. The response was "we only have one range-finder!"

Like I said, its a minute, but feels like 5.....so I did exaggerate the time to make a point. Anyway, guys laser on every shot and on par 5's where you cant get to the hole in 2, I don't see the point. "Its 240 to the tree out there"......or "its 175 to carry that bunker" when we are 280 total away from the green....unnecessary times to laser. > @MelloYello said:

> If a guy gets 3 distinct yardages with a rangefinder shooting the same target, he's an idiot.

>

> In all seriousness, maybe he's a senior with shaky hands or something? Anyhow, but that's ridiculous. If he can't use it reliably without taking 5 minutes he shouldn't have it. But I've never come across what you're describing. Most guys who are dedicated enough to have rangefinders aren't the clueless morons you're describing.

Huge fan of technology. Although I have an Arccos collecting shot and scoring data, sometimes well, other times, not, I'm still a big fan of the Garmin for simple distance. As I'm walking up to a shot it gets pulled out of the bag so the time element is negligible. In the rounds it's forgotten, the rounds are probably a bit slower because of walking off yardages.

That seems much quicker than using the laser every time. I use the cart GPS on the days I drive and its seamless. I'm a fast player so it bugs me when others play very slow and extend the round with lasering (is that a word?) everything in sight. But to be fair, I do use their yardages when they feel the need to call it out every time. :) > @DavePelz4 said:

> Huge fan of technology. Although I have an Arccos collecting shot and scoring data, sometimes well, other times, not, I'm still a big fan of the Garmin for simple distance. As I'm walking up to a shot it gets pulled out of the bag so the time element is negligible. In the rounds it's forgotten, the rounds are probably a bit slower because of walking off yardages.

this captures the negative side perfectly> @Sixcat said:

> I think it cuts both ways. Technology can be extremely helpful but it can also be very detrimental. It depends on how it's being used. I will give an example. Rangefinders, when used properly, can help speed up play. If used improperly, can be mind-numbingly exhausting. Last Friday afternoon, I was walking behind a twosome who were also walking at my home club. For 9 holes, they would each play a tee-shot, walk to one players ball, study a rangefinder, go through a pre-shot routine, play a shot, simultaneously move on to the other players ball and go through the same scenario before heading toward the green. It was maddening to watch two guys walk to one ball only to have them walk to the other players ball before heading toward the green. On several occasions, one would be in the left rough while the other was in the right rough. Yet, they still went together to one anothers balls. They were seemingly joined at the hip.

>

> Thankfully, they stopped after 9 holes. By the time we got to the 9th green, there were at least 7 groups behind us and they weren't happy. I politely asked the two guys why they were stacking up play by walking together to each others balls rather than splitting off. The response was "we only have one range-finder!"

I don't think laser slows me down but it also makes me pin hunt which is a detriment to my game. I now almost always just use my GPS, both off the tee (distance to bunkers, etc) and for approaches (front, middle, back). It's real time so as soon as I find my ball I have my distance almost instantly.

If I had to whip out a yardage book... do math, walk distances off... that would cause delays for sure.

If guys starting slowing the group down due to being dumb with the range finder, I'd just start playing out of order and hitting my ball as soon as I was ready, regardless if they were. I think they'd get the hint.... and if they were really dense, I'd then say something passive aggressive like, "boy, are the guys behind us fast or are we just slow right now?". Haven't had to really do that though.

How can looking at a GPS be slower than finding and pacing off a sprinkler head?

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

For me, on the courses I play, it helps me. I can/have seen where it does slow play down. I also see as many good habits that make the round go quicker, like shoot a distance while you wait your turn, or load the app while you walk to your ball, it can help and not slow you down. I am not good enough to qualify an improvement in scoring, but I can say I am more confident in how far I think I should be hitting the ball.

> @tsecor said:

> this captures the negative side perfectly> @Sixcat said:

> > I think it cuts both ways. Technology can be extremely helpful but it can also be very detrimental. It depends on how it's being used. I will give an example. Rangefinders, when used properly, can help speed up play. If used improperly, can be mind-numbingly exhausting. Last Friday afternoon, I was walking behind a twosome who were also walking at my home club. For 9 holes, they would each play a tee-shot, walk to one players ball, study a rangefinder, go through a pre-shot routine, play a shot, simultaneously move on to the other players ball and go through the same scenario before heading toward the green. It was maddening to watch two guys walk to one ball only to have them walk to the other players ball before heading toward the green. On several occasions, one would be in the left rough while the other was in the right rough. Yet, they still went together to one anothers balls. They were seemingly joined at the hip.

> >

> > Thankfully, they stopped after 9 holes. By the time we got to the 9th green, there were at least 7 groups behind us and they weren't happy. I politely asked the two guys why they were stacking up play by walking together to each others balls rather than splitting off. The response was "we only have one range-finder!"

>

>

You'd have the same problem if their response was "We only have one yardage book."

It ain't the tech, it's the misuse of it.

• Like 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

I've pulled out my laser by the time I get to my ball. Maybe takes 5-10 seconds to laser it. Can't imagine playing without one. I also have Golfshot on my Apple Watch which is great for front/back distance but I dont trust GPS over a laser. Takes about a second to look at the watch - just like checking the time. Fast players will be fast regardless. Slow players slow.... regardless.

I have SkyCaddie and a Laser and both are used. As a walker, what affects the pace of play is looking for yardage markers and pacing off yardages.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Ive usually got the laser yardage before my playing partners have even pulled up to their balls / tee block. When I play with guys that use the sprinkler heads they are way slower while they walk around looking for a sprinkler head and then work out what that means for their actual position and then club selection. Ive got my laser positioned on my bag so I can access it fast. It also adds confidence to my club selection so Im likely to play a better shot, which also speeds up play.

Cobra LTDx VA Composites Drago 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist TSi2 21 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist AP3 4-PW+48 Tour AMT white x100

Vokey SM9 54.10S (@53) 

Vokey SM9 58.08M

Taylormade Spider EX putter

ProV1X

Seems I have played with the guys who misuse it as they discuss it each time they laser a target. "I lasered that tree at 170 and the bunker at 140" that type of stuff....I am all for technology but it has to be used right, so I agree with u guys on that. you cant stop progress, but can you imagine Spieth with a laser? he would discuss it for 20 minutes...lol....

> @tsecor said:

> Like I said, its a minute, but feels like 5.....so I did exaggerate the time to make a point. Anyway, guys laser on every shot and on **par 5's where you cant get to the hole in 2, I don't see the point**. "Its 240 to the tree out there"......or "its 175 to carry that bunker" when we are 280 total away from the green....unnecessary times to laser. > @MelloYello said:

> > If a guy gets 3 distinct yardages with a rangefinder shooting the same target, he's an idiot.

> >

> > In all seriousness, maybe he's a senior with shaky hands or something? Anyhow, but that's ridiculous. If he can't use it reliably without taking 5 minutes he shouldn't have it. But I've never come across what you're describing. Most guys who are dedicated enough to have rangefinders aren't the clueless morons you're describing.

>

>

Perhaps you should work on course management if you don't get the point? Can't get there in two? How far to clear the fairway bunker? How far to lay up short of it? How far total so I know how far to a number I like to lay up to? Where is the pin so I know the angle I want in?

It sounds like a lot of questions but it actually speeds up play to know those things.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar