Putting Distance Control Drills

My kids are not very good at distance control on the greens. Can you recommend any good drills I can do with them to help.
Thanks!

Comments

• leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 963 ✭✭

Ladder drill.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• Golfingdawg19Golfingdawg19 Posts: 343 ✭✭

Go to the fringe of your putting green and place a tee about 2 feet short of the fringe. The goal is to stop the ball between the tee and the collar of the fringe. Start at 15 feet and work your way back in 5 or 10 feet increments. Constantly change up what distance you do it from to throw them off balance. This will show you if they really have the speed down.

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,003 ✭✭

Controlling the tempo of the back swing . There are any number of drills you can do. If you can't control the tempo of the back swing you still won't be consistent in successfully completing those drills.

• tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    edited Apr 4, 2019 3:08pm #5

Practice a lot lag putting. You want them to putt to a certain line. An easy cheap way is just put two tee's down and have them put past the tee's. A lot variations on this but I am too cheap to buy markers or too lazy to put down tape so I just use tees spaced out and it works the same way.

At some point they have to have feel. If there really young and playing in tournaments do what everyone does and assign numbers for speed and just tell them. If you don't do that your going to be in for a long day if you have a young kid who can not control speed at all.

• DallasDallas Members Posts: 157 ✭✭

I second the ladder drill.

• leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 963 ✭✭

Now I wish there was a remedy for going into a tournament with an ICE COLD putter!! The boy hasn't made anything these last few weeks... oh well, I guess we're just riding the wave.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 827 ✭✭

@leezer99 said:
    Now I wish there was a remedy for going into a tournament with an ICE COLD putter!! The boy hasn't made anything these last few weeks... oh well, I guess we're just riding the wave.

This worked for Happy Gilmore!!

• chrissdcchrissdc Members Posts: 48 ✭✭

Ladder, ladder, ladder