Newest Maltby ratings.

2»

Comments

• ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX  2327WRX Points: 1,262Handicap: +0.9Posts: 2,327 ClubWRX

On -, @ex0dus said:

On -, @chigolfer1 said:

On -, @ex0dus said:

On -, @nfmoto said:

Maltby's measurements MOI, CoG, are accurate. His ratings are absolutely worthless nonsense.

This. The specific measurements are worth checking out. The MPF rating seems like some random mess he just made up without much thought. IMO he greatly overvalues cg location and badly undervalues MOI.

Also a big factor in iron playability is the sole grind which he doesn't address.

Can you elaborate? For the ignorant like myself, why do you think MOI is a lot more important than the value he ascribes?

Check out the Ping i500. I've never hit it but a 188 MPF rating?

https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/MPF_PING.pdf

The vertical CG is 0.94". Mid-point of a golf ball is 0.84". That is why the i500 has such a low rating.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 8° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Snell MTB-X in yellow
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ex0dusex0dus Members  537WRX Points: 131Handicap: 2Posts: 537 Golden Tee

On -, @ThinkingPlus said:

The vertical CG is 0.94". Mid-point of a golf ball is 0.84". That is why the i500 has such a low rating.

I know. This is an example of why i think he overvalues cg location and undervalues MOI in his MPF ratings. The MOI on this club is over 15, but it scores lower than most blades.

On these hollow irons the cg is pulled farther rearward which increases launch angle. I don't know but i suspect that they are putting the cg location higher to lower the launch angle and increase spin.

Just look at Pings s58 (from 2006) compared to the Iblade. The S58 has a MPF of 778 vs 430 for the Iblade. Is the S58 really that much easier to hit than the Iblade, which has a much higher MOI?

The Titleist 718 mb actually has a higher MOI than the S58, yet somehow the S58 is a "super game improvement" iron according to MPF.

Posted:
    Post edited by ex0dus on
    Cobra King Ltd Pro
    Nike SQ2 13
    Mizuno MP630 clk hybrid 20
    Mizuno Fli Hi  21
    Bstone J40 DPC 4 iron
    Cleveland 588 mb 5-9
    Cleveland RTX 4
    Cally Mack Daddy PM grind 54,60
    Putter....depends on the day
    Snell mtbx
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members  9296WRX Points: 1,463Posts: 9,296 Titanium Tees

I pretty much only look at C dim and VCOG. I really wish he'd add another column instead of C dim or in addition to it which is the ratio of CDIM to the total blade length. Obviously large GI clubs will have a higher CDIM because it's a longer head, but that doesn't mean that the sweet spot is in the center still. Ideally, we'd want the sweet spot as close to physical center as possible, not really the biggest CDIM.

Also, VCOG being lower is probably best for guys who aren't top notch iron strikers. I get why pro's might want it a little bit higher but it does make launching the ball tougher and overall forgiveness a bit lower for Average Joe.

Posted:
    Epic SZ 9* set to 10* | Tour Z Xtreme 465
    16* M1 | Tour Z Xtreme 475
    19.75* M1 | Diamana B70
    818H1 23* | Tensei CK White 90
    5-PW P760 | Modus 120
    Glide 3.0 50/12, 54/12, 58/10 | S400 Ti
    Directed Force 2.1 or Custom EVNROLL ER5
    Tour BXS "TIGER"
  • pjcpjc In The Middle Members  612WRX Points: 106Posts: 612 Golden Tee

On -, @LaymanM said:

On -, @ex0dus said:

On -, @chigolfer1 said:

On -, @ex0dus said:

On -, @nfmoto said:

Maltby's measurements MOI, CoG, are accurate. His ratings are absolutely worthless nonsense.

This. The specific measurements are worth checking out. The MPF rating seems like some random mess he just made up without much thought. IMO he greatly overvalues cg location and badly undervalues MOI.

Also a big factor in iron playability is the sole grind which he doesn't address.

Can you elaborate? For the ignorant like myself, why do you think MOI is a lot more important than the value he ascribes?

See my post above i500 is one of those playable sets that doesnt score well. Hollow iron with hot face. I500 is easy to hit just doesnt follow Maltby theory on club design so it doesnt work. I think it doesnt account for how hot the face is and that's why it scores low.

No, the reason why it scores so low is because of the very high vertical COG measurement. Depending on how one comes into the ball and strikes it, it can be very detrimental to some. Also, the type of turf that one plays from, hard lies, soft lies etc. Off the tee it probably won't matter as much, but like the engineers at the Golfworks say, you can't judge by the way an iron looks or seems to be. The measurements absolutely mean something, they just might not relate to everybody.

Posted:
    Srixon Z-TX 10.5* OG MRC Diamana BB 63 S
    Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5 wood 18* MPF Pro Series FWY S
    Srixon Z 565 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 980GH DST S
    Cleveland CBX 50* and 56* TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge/S
    Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 Rossie black/Lamkin deep etched
    Srixon Z-STAR
  • chigolfer1chigolfer1 Members  1240WRX Points: 302Posts: 1,240 Platinum Tees

Great discussion. Very informative.

Posted:
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USAMembers  7123WRX Points: 1,152Handicap: 7Posts: 7,123 Titanium Tees

On -, @LaymanM said:

On -, @ex0dus said:

On -, @chigolfer1 said:

On -, @ex0dus said:

On -, @nfmoto said:

See my post above i500 is one of those playable sets that doesnt score well. Hollow iron with hot face. I500 is easy to hit just doesnt follow Maltby theory on club design so it doesnt work. I think it doesnt account for how hot the face is and that's why it scores low.

It's the CG that makes it score so low, a full tenth of an inch above the midpoint of the golfball. That and possibly a C Dimension that's lower than Mr Maltby prefers.

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 43.25"
    3w:  Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 42.25"
    2i:  Mizuno Pro, DGS300
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Dynacraft forged 52*, DGS400
    SW:  Wilson Staff PMP 58*
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black, Vice Pro Lime... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

Sometimes carry 1-SW Golden Ram Tour Grinds w/Dynamic S or 1-SW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5
    On occasion, Ram 1i or Mizuno 2i replaced with Orlimar persimmon 4w, Dynamic S

Driver Substitutes: Golden Ram TW801, TW802, or TW805

Advertisement
  • mukstermukster A lot can happen in a year. North of the 49thMembers  3699WRX Points: 453Posts: 3,699 Titanium Tees

I usually look sympathetically at the Maltby ratings for my irons when I’m going through a slump, but then look at them like a boss when I’m swinging well :smile:

Posted:
    Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic 3 Wood , Fubuki Z65 shaft
    Mizuno ST180 5 wood,  Tensei CK Blue shaft
    Cobra F8 22* hybrid
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons
    , KBS Tour V shafts
    Srixon A wedge 51° bent to 50°
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX  2327WRX Points: 1,262Handicap: +0.9Posts: 2,327 ClubWRX

On -, @ex0dus said:

On -, @ThinkingPlus said:

I know. This is an example of why i think he overvalues cg location and undervalues MOI in his MPF ratings. The MOI on this club is over 15, but it scores lower than most blades.

On these hollow irons the cg is pulled farther rearward which increases launch angle. I don't know but i suspect that they are putting the cg location higher to lower the launch angle and increase spin.

Just look at Pings s58 (from 2006) compared to the Iblade. The S58 has a MPF of 778 vs 430 for the Iblade. Is the S58 really that much easier to hit than the Iblade, which has a much higher MOI?

The Titleist 718 mb actually has a higher MOI than the S58, yet somehow the S58 is a "super game improvement" iron according to MPF.

Vertical gear effect doesn't do much for irons. There is not enough lever arm.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 8° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Snell MTB-X in yellow
  • lordemsworthlordemsworth Members  1392WRX Points: 177Posts: 1,392 Platinum Tees

I also think something changed with the way he measures around 2010/2011 which makes it really hard to compare irons before that era.
    I’m sure if the S58s were measured today, they would have a value closer to the iblades and appropriate categorization.

Posted:
  • BlackM00NlightBlackM00Nlight IowaMembers  3682WRX Points: 611Handicap: 6Posts: 3,682 Titanium Tees

Yep. MOI and Vcog are what I look for. Category ratings are skewed for his personal preference. Individual numbers are accurate but overall number has its flaws.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST-190G Tensei White 70X
    Mizuno ST-190TS 15* Tensei White 70X
    Mizuno CLK 19* 3 Hybrid Speeder Evo HB 95X
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC 4-P C-Taper 130X (plus 1/2" 3 up)
    Mizuno S18 50, 55, 60 C-Taper 130X soft stepped (plus 1/2" 3 up)
    Mizuno TP Mills #5
    Titleist Pro V1 X

• ode1ode1 Members  3050WRX Points: 230Posts: 3,050 Titanium Tees

On -, @munichop said:

In my experience with his ratings they are a guide that he developed to assist the player looking for more forgiveness. Most golfers hit the ball lower than they would like and slice. If you look at the the progression of Ping irons thru the years they were designed to help those two issues. Most golfers miss towards the toe so moving the cg there also helps. Maltby has tried to quantify this. I have bought many sets based on his tables and for the most part they are true to his numbers. For me if the distance from the heel to the cg is much different than what I own the clubs will not feel as good to me. What I am now struggling with is turf interaction as I am a digger and as I have aged my hands and wrists are more vulnerable to injury from this. His factors do not address this.

Have you tried the Maltby STi? Amazing forgiveness and the leading edge has plenty of relief.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ex0dusex0dus Members  537WRX Points: 131Handicap: 2Posts: 537 Golden Tee

On -, @lordemsworth said:

I also think something changed with the way he measures around 2010/2011 which makes it really hard to compare irons before that era.
    I’m sure if the S58s were measured today, they would have a value closer to the iblades and appropriate categorization.

I am not sure his measurements have changed. Check out his TS1 irons:

https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/MPF_MALTBY.pdf

They also have a MOI lower than the 718 mb but they have a MPF 711.

Posted:
    Cobra King Ltd Pro
    Nike SQ2 13
    Mizuno MP630 clk hybrid 20
    Mizuno Fli Hi  21
    Bstone J40 DPC 4 iron
    Cleveland 588 mb 5-9
    Cleveland RTX 4
    Cally Mack Daddy PM grind 54,60
    Putter....depends on the day
    Snell mtbx
  • DFinchDFinch Members  1514WRX Points: 317Handicap: 6.2Posts: 1,514 Platinum Tees

On -, @chigolfer1 said:

Reinforces the thought that my 2006 TM R7s were/are just really nice, solid clubs with a low COG. Maybe I should just stick with them and save some cash?

My 53 year old legit scratch golfer playing partner still plays them, and they are in my top 3 irons of all time with the Macgregor 1025M and Maltby TS-2.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.75* Evenflow White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 14* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby TS2 DG105 X100 / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Evnroll ER8 Gravity Grip
  • ClafooneClafoone Hobbyist Members  120WRX Points: 52Posts: 120 Fairways

the method MPF is measured has not changed over the years. Only difference I've seen is the utilization of 5 Irons prior to 2010/2011 and 6 Irons thereafter. Looking at the first 30 club ratings for 2018, Maltby only holds 3 spots. The remainder are pretty well spread out among other manufacturers. Looking back over the past 3 years, you could hardly say Roger Maltby is biased towards his own line. Even if he was, why wouldn't one build a club to a particular set of spec's that you believe in? I myself don't want my COG above the centerline of a golf ball!

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Draw: 10.5°/ UST Competition 65
    Callaway Rogue 4W: bent to 16°/ UST Competition 65
    Ping G Hybrids: 19° & 22°/ UST Proforce V2 hybrid (MOI Matched)
    Maltby KE4 S: 5 - GW/ Wishon S2S White (MOI Matched)
    Cleveland Rotex 2.0 CB Black Satin: 54° & 58 Wishon S2S White (MOI Matched)
    Ping Karsten TR Anser 5
  • Snowman9000Snowman9000 Members  1256WRX Points: 232Handicap: 10Posts: 1,256 Platinum Tees

Ralph Maltby
    Roger Maltbie

Easy to mix up.

Posted:
    Driver M4
    3h, 4h, 5h Adams Idea Tech 2015
    6-GW Snake Eyes basic GI irons
    54º, 58º Callaway MD2 Forged S grind
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini
  • ClafooneClafoone Hobbyist Members  120WRX Points: 52Posts: 120 Fairways

Yeah, I had a brain cramp!

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Draw: 10.5°/ UST Competition 65
    Callaway Rogue 4W: bent to 16°/ UST Competition 65
    Ping G Hybrids: 19° & 22°/ UST Proforce V2 hybrid (MOI Matched)
    Maltby KE4 S: 5 - GW/ Wishon S2S White (MOI Matched)
    Cleveland Rotex 2.0 CB Black Satin: 54° & 58 Wishon S2S White (MOI Matched)
    Ping Karsten TR Anser 5

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.