Tour issued Callaway Apex Pro 19' "Dot" Iron Pics and differences (comparison Pics added Page 3)

easyyy ·  
easyyyeasyyy Founder & Still a HoDetroit 12445WRX Points: 746Handicap: 4Rules Official, Administrator Posts: 12,445 Marshals

Let's get the info on these . Heard they are tour Apex Pro 19 Dot limited. Heard they do not have cup faces, more grooves than the retail, more compact head, rounded tour shape and straighter leading edge.

I am struggling to stay away.

Posted:
Post edited by easyyy on

Comments

• radimanradiman  4743WRX Points: 364Handicap: 3.8Members Posts: 4,743 Titanium Tees

What? Callaway has their guys on tour playing something different than the retail models? You don't say... 😁

All jokes aside. I just wish they would offer some of their tour only stuff to the public. From their many Epic Flash's down to these irons.

The irons sound intriguing and look pretty nice. Thanks for sharing the info.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • easyyyeasyyy Founder & Still a Ho Detroit 12445WRX Points: 746Handicap: 4Rules Official, Administrator Posts: 12,445 Marshals

On -, @radiman said:

What? Callaway has their guys on tour playing something different than the retail models? You don't say... 😁

All jokes aside. I just wish they would offer some of their tour only stuff to the public. From their many Epic Flash's down to these irons.

I heard from

On -, @FairwayFred that Club Champion is going to offer them and triple diamond Epic drivers for custom fitting. In a month or so.
    Posted:
  • easyyyeasyyy Founder & Still a Ho Detroit 12445WRX Points: 746Handicap: 4Rules Official, Administrator Posts: 12,445 Marshals

On -, @radiman said:

On -, @joey3108 is a fitter and has them. I think they are available if you dig around.
    Posted:
  • radimanradiman  4743WRX Points: 364Handicap: 3.8Members Posts: 4,743 Titanium Tees

On -, @easyyy said:

On -, @radiman said:

I heard from

On -, @FairwayFred that Club Champion is going to offer them and triple diamond Epic drivers for custom fitting. In a month or so.

That's cool. Seems they are deviating from their old ways a bit and making some of this stuff available, even if in a limited manner.

Posted:
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
  • vanyavanya Ingerlund 112WRX Points: 52Handicap: 0 UKMembers Posts: 112 Fairways

Now if they did the standard Apex in a version like this I'm not sure there would be a price point I wouldn't pay.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • JB leftyJB lefty JB  1909WRX Points: 92Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,909 Platinum Tees

I was under the impression with cup faces the pro's were having difficulty with distance control. Some were saying saying the would get flyers sometimes like hitting from the rough but they were in the fairway. So it would make sense if the made these without the face cup for the tour. I love the forged pro look but hate the feel of the face cup. Thats why I don't have a set of these yet. Still using the original apex pro irons and have not found an iron that i like as much yet to replace them.

Posted:
  • burritos4breakfastburritos4breakfast hawai'i 325WRX Points: 108Members Posts: 325 Greens

On -, @JB lefty said:

I was under the impression with cup faces the pro's were having difficulty with distance control. Some were saying saying the would get flyers sometimes like hitting from the rough but they were in the fairway. So it would make sense if the made these without the face cup for the tour. I love the forged pro look but hate the feel of the face cup. Thats why I don't have a set of these yet. Still using the original apex pro irons and have not found an iron that i like as much yet to replace them.

im still gaming the 14 apex pros also. feel is so good. the 19 pro is better than the 16 but still cant beat the 14s. theyre still working great for Kiz too

Posted:
  • jonn443jonn443 Jonnystx  4649WRX Points: 247Members Posts: 4,649 Titanium Tees

More grooves, more spin.

Posted:
    AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
    AB TP 3HL / 757
    XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
    DWS 24*/ VS Proto
    J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
    X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
    Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0
  • speeder717speeder717  958WRX Points: 106Handicap: 0.2ClubWRX Posts: 958 ClubWRX

Correct, the triple diamond is coming to retail...

Posted:
  • scratchswingerscratchswinger  16444WRX Points: 350Members Posts: 16,444 Titanium Tees

I heard 400 sets released.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • poppman2142poppman2142  1199WRX Points: 167Members Posts: 1,199 Platinum Tees

Also raw Apex MB's are coming as well.

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik 10.5* with Tensei Pro White 60 stiff tipped 1/2"
    Titleist TS4 10.5* with GD XC6 stiff tipped 1/2" 
    Titleist TS2 16.5* with Tensei Pro White 70 stiff tipped 1"
    Titleist TS2 hybrid 19* with Tensei Pro White 90 stiff tipped 1/2"
    Titleist 680 MB 4-9 with Shimada Tour X-Stiff SS 1X
    Vokey SM7 46,50,55,60 with Shimada Tour X-Stiff 
    Yes C Groove Callie tour issue Badds prototype long neck
    Callaway Chrome Soft X Triple Track
    Golf Pride Multicompound Black/Black +1/64"
    Ogio Silencer bag
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16  9091WRX Points: 1,328Members Posts: 9,091 Titanium Tees

Makes total sense to me. The offset on the pro model imo is quite a lot compared to other more "tour" like heads. My Miura's made them look like shovels as far as offset went, so to reduce that right off the bat seems perfectly reasonable. No cup face also sounds reasonable as pro's A) don't need more distance and b) tend to be on the traditionalist side and just want something predictable time after time. More grooves makes sense too as with firm greens they play, that extra groove could be the difference from rolling over the green or just staying on when coming out of thick rough.

I'd definitely be interested in them if they were a little more forgiving than my Miura and had all the stuff listed above. I definitely worry about cup face producing random fliers because that's what my P790 did, and that's why I sold them. Lost a solid 1 to 1.5 clubs of distance but the Miura are incredible with consistency.

Posted:
    D - Epic SZ | Tour Z Xtreme 465
    3w - '16 Tour Issue M1 (16.5*) | Diamana B 70
    5w - '17 M1 | Tensei Pro Blue 70
    4h - 818H1 | Tensei Pro White 90
    Irons - P760 5-PW | Modus 120
    GW - Glide 3.0 50/12 | S400 Tour Issue
    SW - Glide 3.0 54/12| S400 Tour Issue
    LW - Glide 3.0 58/10 | S400 Tour Issue
    P - Odyssey Big 7 Arm Lock or Custom EVNROLL ER5
    Ball - Bridgestone BXS

• easylittle5woodeasylittle5wood  1319WRX Points: 194Members Posts: 1,319 Platinum Tees

These got to be Xander’s model except not raw.

Posted:
  • jickjick  1151WRX Points: 223Members Posts: 1,151 Platinum Tees

If you don't like multi material cup face, then just the x forged. Unless you want the shiny chrome of apex pro and not the xforged's satin finish.

Posted:
  • speeder717speeder717  958WRX Points: 106Handicap: 0.2ClubWRX Posts: 958 ClubWRX

On -, @poppman2142 said:

Really? Hadnt heard they are releasing another run.... I wish I would have never gotten rid of mine!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • jshuffjshuff  113WRX Points: 83Members Posts: 113 Fairways

I would love to get a raw 5 - 7 heads to go with the raw Apex MBs I picked up.

Posted:
  • WdwfreakWdwfreak Wisconsin Proud  1128WRX Points: 166Members Posts: 1,128 Platinum Tees

Callaway is leading the way now in "here's a bunch of cool stuff you'll never get because it's on tour only" it's shocking to say but taylormade I never expected to only have four total drivers out this year all available at retail but it's true. Where Callaway has 8+ with only two being available at retail.

Not a fan of this stuff ever.

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik Standard Tensei Pro White 70TX 44.5"
    Titleist 16.5* TS3 Diamana White 80TX
    Titleist 19.5* TS2 Ventus Blue 8X
    Titleist 24.5* TS3 Hybrid 38.25" Project X LZ 6.5 125g
    Cobra King Forged CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.5 125g
    Ping Glide 3.0 51-55-60 Project X LZ 6.5 125g
    Ping Sigma 2 Wolverine H 34.5"
  • easylittle5woodeasylittle5wood  1319WRX Points: 194Members Posts: 1,319 Platinum Tees

On -, @speeder717 said:

On -, @poppman2142 said:

Really? Hadnt heard they are releasing another run.... I wish I would have never gotten rid of mine!

Just got an email from fairway golf USA they have fulls sets of the raw blades. Photos show them as components. No longer just in Sweden (or wherever they were available for US shipping).

Posted:
  • jshuffjshuff  113WRX Points: 83Members Posts: 113 Fairways

On -, @easylittle5wood said:

On -, @speeder717 said:

On -, @poppman2142 said:

Just got an email from fairway golf USA they have fulls sets of the raw blades. Photos show them as components. No longer just in Sweden (or wherever they were available for US shipping).

You should proceed with picking up a set.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @joey3108 posted these the other day...

Posted:

On -, @easyyy said:

This pic is the most telling to me.

Significant changes in the cavity for the Apex Pro 19 Dot version. The lack of depth in the cavity and the thicker muscle. Obvious when comparing these two 7 irons.

Is the dot the one with the thinner muscle?

Posted:
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
  • slicktryslicktry @meximenno  2579WRX Points: 135Handicap: 3.5Members Posts: 2,579 Titanium Tees

On -, @radiman said:

On -, @easyyy said:

Significant changes in the cavity for the Apex Pro 19 Dot version. The lack of depth in the cavity and the thicker muscle. Obvious when comparing these two 7 irons.

Yes.

Posted:
    Epic Flash SubZero 9* w/ DI-7X
    '16 M2 DF 13* w/ DI-9TX
    18* Gapr Mid w/ Modus 110gm X Proto
    4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
    52* TM EF w/ C Taper S+
    58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
    64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
    Spider Tour Black 33.5" w/BGT Stability Shaft
  • jonnymc44jonnymc44 Manchester UK 201WRX Points: 127Handicap: 5.6Members Posts: 201 Fairways

On -, @JB lefty said:

im still gaming the 14 apex pros also. feel is so good. the 19 pro is better than the 16 but still cant beat the 14s. theyre still working great for Kiz too

Absolutely love the look of the 19 Pros, but I'm still gaming the 14 Pros too. Can't let them go. Played some of my best golf with them.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @slicktry said:

On -, @radiman said:

On -, @easyyy said:

Yes.

the dot is the lower head on the bottom.

Posted:
  • staysober for golfstaysober for golf Low carb guy  1057WRX Points: 115Handicap: 10Members Posts: 1,057 Platinum Tees

Sweet! maybe 7i - PW. for sure.

Posted:
    WITB:

8.5* (U) M4  H.B. S. 45.0"

14.2* 915 FD, NV S. 42.7"
    18.0* APEX (19) S. 40.5"
    4 & 5 IRON EPIC Stock S. 
    6-PW X2H Pro Stock S. 
    56* X forged, Stock S.
    ODYSSEY WIDE B/W 

• buckeyeflbuckeyefl  6103WRX Points: 1,101Members Posts: 6,103 Titanium Tees

This is what they should have been in the first place.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • B_of_HB_of_H  268WRX Points: 73Members Posts: 268 Greens

the biggest difference i see is less offset. i'd consider playing these but the stock version has way too much offset for me.

Posted:
    Srixon z785 9.5* hzrudus black 75g 6.5
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* hzrdus yellow 76g 6.5
    P790 UDI 18* (all irons KBS tour 130x)
    Mizuno MP18 (7-Pw), SC (5-6), MMC (4)
    Vokey sm7 50*, sm6 55*, TVD-M 60*
    1994 Scotty Cameron by Titleist Newport 35"

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.