Tour issued Callaway Apex Pro 19' "Dot" Iron Pics and differences (comparison Pics added Page 3)

easyyyeasyyy Founder & Still a HoDetroitRules Official, Administrator Posts: 12,287 admin
edited Apr 13, 2019 2:38am in Equipment #1

Let's get the info on these . Heard they are tour Apex Pro 19 Dot limited. Heard they do not have cup faces, more grooves than the retail, more compact head, rounded tour shape and straighter leading edge.

I am struggling to stay away.

Post edited by easyyy on

Comments

• radimanradiman Members Posts: 4,667 ✭✭

What? Callaway has their guys on tour playing something different than the retail models? You don't say... 😁

All jokes aside. I just wish they would offer some of their tour only stuff to the public. From their many Epic Flash's down to these irons.

The irons sound intriguing and look pretty nice. Thanks for sharing the info.

Callaway Epic Flash 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • easyyyeasyyy Founder & Still a Ho DetroitRules Official, Administrator Posts: 12,287 admin

@radiman said:
    What? Callaway has their guys on tour playing something different than the retail models? You don't say... 😁

All jokes aside. I just wish they would offer some of their tour only stuff to the public. From their many Epic Flash's down to these irons.

I heard from @FairwayFred that Club Champion is going to offer them and triple diamond Epic drivers for custom fitting. In a month or so.

• easyyyeasyyy Founder & Still a Ho DetroitRules Official, Administrator Posts: 12,287 admin

@radiman said:

@joey3108 is a fitter and has them. I think they are available if you dig around.

@easyyy said:

@radiman said:

I heard from @FairwayFred that Club Champion is going to offer them and triple diamond Epic drivers for custom fitting. In a month or so.

That's cool. Seems they are deviating from their old ways a bit and making some of this stuff available, even if in a limited manner.

Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
  • vanyavanya Members Posts: 103 ✭✭

Now if they did the standard Apex in a version like this I'm not sure there would be a price point I wouldn't pay.

• JB leftyJB lefty JB Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,906 ✭✭

I was under the impression with cup faces the pro's were having difficulty with distance control. Some were saying saying the would get flyers sometimes like hitting from the rough but they were in the fairway. So it would make sense if the made these without the face cup for the tour. I love the forged pro look but hate the feel of the face cup. Thats why I don't have a set of these yet. Still using the original apex pro irons and have not found an iron that i like as much yet to replace them.

• burritos4breakfastburritos4breakfast Members Posts: 225 ✭✭

@JB lefty said:
    I was under the impression with cup faces the pro's were having difficulty with distance control. Some were saying saying the would get flyers sometimes like hitting from the rough but they were in the fairway. So it would make sense if the made these without the face cup for the tour. I love the forged pro look but hate the feel of the face cup. Thats why I don't have a set of these yet. Still using the original apex pro irons and have not found an iron that i like as much yet to replace them.

im still gaming the 14 apex pros also. feel is so good. the 19 pro is better than the 16 but still cant beat the 14s. theyre still working great for Kiz too

• jonn443jonn443 Jonnystx Members Posts: 4,596 ✭✭

More grooves, more spin.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
    AB TP 3HL / 757
    XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
    DWS 24*/ VS Proto
    J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
    X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
    Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0
  • speeder717speeder717 ClubWRX Posts: 928 ClubWRX

Correct, the triple diamond is coming to retail...

• scratchswingerscratchswinger Members Posts: 16,198 ✭✭

I heard 400 sets released.

• poppman2142poppman2142 Members Posts: 1,145 ✭✭

Also raw Apex MB's are coming as well.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ triple diamond 10.5* with Tensei Pro Orange 70 stiff untipped
    Ping G400 Max 10.5* with Tensei Pro Orange 70 stiff untipped
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* with Tensei Pro White 70 stiff tipped 1/2"
    Callaway Apex 19' 18* with Diamana Thump 90 stiff tipped 1/4"
    Callaway Apex Pro dot 4-P with Shimada Tour X-Stiff SS 1X
    Mizuno T7 51,56,61 with Shimada Tour X-Stiff 
    Epon Zen 34.75" with Grip Master leather wrap
    Toulon Azalea 34.75" with Stability putter shaft
    2018 Callaway Chrome Soft X/Taylormade tp5x
    Golf Pride Multicompound Black/Black +1/64"
    Ogio Silencer bag
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,250 ✭✭

Makes total sense to me. The offset on the pro model imo is quite a lot compared to other more "tour" like heads. My Miura's made them look like shovels as far as offset went, so to reduce that right off the bat seems perfectly reasonable. No cup face also sounds reasonable as pro's A) don't need more distance and b) tend to be on the traditionalist side and just want something predictable time after time. More grooves makes sense too as with firm greens they play, that extra groove could be the difference from rolling over the green or just staying on when coming out of thick rough.

I'd definitely be interested in them if they were a little more forgiving than my Miura and had all the stuff listed above. I definitely worry about cup face producing random fliers because that's what my P790 did, and that's why I sold them. Lost a solid 1 to 1.5 clubs of distance but the Miura are incredible with consistency.

WITB
    Epic SZ HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour 120 FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• easylittle5woodeasylittle5wood Members Posts: 1,199 ✭✭

These got to be Xander’s model except not raw.

• jickjick Members Posts: 1,144 ✭✭

If you don't like multi material cup face, then just the x forged. Unless you want the shiny chrome of apex pro and not the xforged's satin finish.

• speeder717speeder717 ClubWRX Posts: 928 ClubWRX

@poppman2142 said:

Really? Hadnt heard they are releasing another run.... I wish I would have never gotten rid of mine!

• GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members Posts: 3,064 ✭✭

Honestly, I am not a big fan of this development. I feel it's kinda shady to release these limited editions so soon after the regular release. Basically, what callaway is saying is: "Hey, remember when you spent 500$ on your new driver and 1K+$ on your new irons a few months ago? Yeah, no one on tour is using those, so we release more versions now".
    Releasing all the new stuff at the same time would be a lot better for the consumer if you ask me.

Cobra F9 Tour Length
    TM M2 DF 16.5° 
    Irons TBD
    Cobra King Pur 54°/ Vokey Proto 60°
    TW Ardmore
  • jshuffjshuff Members Posts: 103 ✭✭

I would love to get a raw 5 - 7 heads to go with the raw Apex MBs I picked up.

• WdwfreakWdwfreak Golf Pro - Wisconsin Members Posts: 1,029 ✭✭

Callaway is leading the way now in "here's a bunch of cool stuff you'll never get because it's on tour only" it's shocking to say but taylormade I never expected to only have four total drivers out this year all available at retail but it's true. Where Callaway has 8+ with only two being available at retail.

Not a fan of this stuff ever.

Taylormade M3 460 8.5 HZRDUS T1100 75X
    Titleist 915fD 3 Diamana White 80-TX
    Titleist TS2 5 Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec 8TX
    TItleist AP2 718 4-6 DG X100
    Titleist 718 MBs 7-9 DG X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7s 46F DG x100, 50F, 56S, 60M DG S400
    SIK Pro-C Arm Lock 40"
  • easylittle5woodeasylittle5wood Members Posts: 1,199 ✭✭

@speeder717 said:

@poppman2142 said:

Really? Hadnt heard they are releasing another run.... I wish I would have never gotten rid of mine!

Just got an email from fairway golf USA they have fulls sets of the raw blades. Photos show them as components. No longer just in Sweden (or wherever they were available for US shipping).

• jshuffjshuff Members Posts: 103 ✭✭

@easylittle5wood said:

@speeder717 said:

@poppman2142 said:

Just got an email from fairway golf USA they have fulls sets of the raw blades. Photos show them as components. No longer just in Sweden (or wherever they were available for US shipping).

You should proceed with picking up a set.

@easyyy said:
    This pic is the most telling to me.

Significant changes in the cavity for the Apex Pro 19 Dot version. The lack of depth in the cavity and the thicker muscle. Obvious when comparing these two 7 irons.

Is the dot the one with the thinner muscle?

Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
  • slicktryslicktry @meximenno Members Posts: 2,539 ✭✭

@radiman said:

@easyyy said:

Significant changes in the cavity for the Apex Pro 19 Dot version. The lack of depth in the cavity and the thicker muscle. Obvious when comparing these two 7 irons.

Yes.

'17 M1 10.5* + w/ ATX Green 85TX
    '16 M2 DF 13* w/ DGSL X100
    16* Adams Red w/ DG X100
    20* Adams Red w/ DG X100
    4-PW ?????????????
    52* TM EF ATV w/ C Taper S+
    58* PM Grind w/ C Taper S+
    Spider Mini Tour Black 33.5" w/BGT Stability Shaft
  • jonnymc44jonnymc44 Manchester UKMembers Posts: 80 ✭✭

@burritos4breakfast said:

@JB lefty said:

im still gaming the 14 apex pros also. feel is so good. the 19 pro is better than the 16 but still cant beat the 14s. theyre still working great for Kiz too

Absolutely love the look of the 19 Pros, but I'm still gaming the 14 Pros too. Can't let them go. Played some of my best golf with them.

@slicktry said:

@radiman said:

@easyyy said:

Yes.

the dot is the lower head on the bottom.

• staysober for golfstaysober for golf Low carb guy Members Posts: 1,029 ✭✭

Sweet! maybe 7i - PW. for sure.

Titleist 8.5* 915 D3 S.
    Titleist 15* 915 FD S.
    Callie 18* Apex S.
    Callie 4U, 5i, 6i Epic S. 
    Callie X2H Pro 7-PW S. 
    Callie 56* X forged S.
    Callie Odys wide b/w s.
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 5,448 ✭✭

This is what they should have been in the first place.

• B_of_HB_of_H Members Posts: 255 ✭✭

the biggest difference i see is less offset. i'd consider playing these but the stock version has way too much offset for me.

Srixon z785 9.5* hzrudus black 75g 6.5
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* hzrdus yellow 76g 6.5
    P790 UDI 18* (all irons KBS tour 130x)
    Mizuno MP18 (7-Pw), SC (5-6), MMC (4)
    Vokey sm7 50*, sm6 55*, TVD-M 60*
    1994 Scotty Cameron by Titleist Newport 35"