Need a Great Bunker Club From Firm Sand

LowAndLeft32

In looking to find a wedge that is great from **_firm_** sand. I currently have 56* MD4 with low bounce and a 60* Vokey V grind. I don't hit either particularly well from the firm sand. I assume most of the problem lies in my technique, which Im working on. On the 56* I thought the low bounce would be good given the hard sand and wouldn't bounce into the ball. But, distance control and short bunker shots are difficult. My 60* is new so I'm still learning how to best use it. But so far, I cant seem to hit a good bunker shot with it. I would be interested in peoples thoughts on wedges and if a different club would see improved results. Thanks.

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

FWIW, I generally will use the higher lofts (58/60) exclusively in the harder bunkers since squaring up looses a lot of loft (relatively speaking) - so I'm not surprised you might have issues with a 56* particularly for shorter shots. But I'm no bunker (or wedge) expert so maybe you'll get more useful advice from some others.

@"Stuart G." covered everything I was going to say.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Callaway MD4 C or X grind. Problem solved

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

If you are looking to get out of a bunker, any bunker-- soft sand or firm; the PM Grind 60 wedge is the truth. I'm sure the TM Hi-Toe will do the same. But the PM Grind 60 will get you out of any bunker without too much hassle; it even comes with free lessons from Phil himself. Check out his Instagram posts. It's automatic if you follow Phil's method.

• Like 1

Ping 410 LST *9 (+1), HZRDUS Smoke Black 60R

Ping G *14.5 (+1), Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *20, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *23, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Adams XTD Forged 5-GW, Recoil 780 es F4

Vokey SM7 *56.14 F, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Vokey SM7 *60.12 D, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Ping Anser 2 Karsten TR, KBS CT Tour Black PVD

Ping 410 LST *9 (+1), HZRDUS Smoke Black 60R

Ping G *14.5 (+1), Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *20, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *23, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Adams XTD Forged 5-GW, Recoil 780 es F4

Vokey SM7 *56.14 F, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Vokey SM7 *60.12 D, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Ping Anser 2 Karsten TR, KBS CT Tour Black PVD

One thing that is necessary for any sand shot, but particularly firm sand, is a shallow angle of attack. If you are an over the top swinger, you've got your work cut out.

Practice makes perfect on this one. IF the sand is really firm, you can use a pitching wedge, opening the face a good bit. I use an AP2 PW for really firm sand. It works. Seve could hit that shot with his 3-iron; it takes practice.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Ping ES grind. Watch a couple YouTube videos. Go do a round at a slow time. After you finish each hole practice a couple bunker shots. At the end of 9 or 18 you will be good for a couple months. It’s getting that feel for how far the ball goes with some sand involved. Problem with bunker shots is you might go entire rounds without having to hit them and not a lot of places to practice.

• Like 2

A lot of my local courses have thin/firm sand, any attempts to hit behind the ball result in bladed shots when the head bounces off of the firm sand underneath (even with low bounce wedges). For me, I have had the most success, and really good results, with treating them like bare or tight lies. Learning little high/soft shots off of tight lies on grass helps significantly. It is definitely a technique thing, square face, weight on front foot, relatively short backswing. A lot of the videos that Phil posts about ball position/weight help to significantly understand the technique.

The biggest thing is determining when to use the shot, and not a typical bunker shot. This is probably where a lot of shots are given up, when underestimating how thin/firm the sand really is, and then blading one over the green or into the lip.

I agree with the above comment. Whenever I get in a bunker that feels like rock below my feet I grab my low bounce 60 and play it like a high shot hit from a tight lie on grass. It's just becoming good at detecting when you can do that. If the sand is softer than you thought itll come out chunky.

I definitely like low bounce for that scenario though.

High loft, low bounce. Here in the Pacific Northwest soft bunkers are rarer than a Masters jacket for Rory. Bought a 58° with low bounce. Been happy so far.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

I’ve never felt confident over the mb3/md4 wedges because their leading edges are so “blunt”.

If your current low bounce isn’t low enough clevland has an Xlow in their RTX4 wedges. It’s low. Almost flush to the ground. Get a high loft 60 or 62 for reasons that Stuart stated. I gained my tight lie/ hard pan confidence from all the time I spent on worn down range mats.

> @LowAndLeft32 said:

> In looking to find a wedge that is great from **_firm_** sand. I currently have 56* MD4 with low bounce and a 60* Vokey V grind. I don't hit either particularly well from the firm sand. I assume most of the problem lies in my technique, which Im working on. On the 56* I thought the low bounce would be good given the hard sand and wouldn't bounce into the ball. But, distance control and short bunker shots are difficult. My 60* is new so I'm still learning how to best use it. But so far, I cant seem to hit a good bunker shot with it. I would be interested in peoples thoughts on wedges and if a different club would see improved results. Thanks.

Speed, confidence, bounce [8 to 10.5 degrees] and a less open face are your best friend for this shot... Emphasis on speed, confidence and enough bounce! Use of either a 58 or 60* wedge is more than sufficient for the job... just stay steep and aggressive.

Vokey 62 T grind

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

It's mix bunkers my neck of the woods. Some courses have tight firm bunkers, some very fluffy. 60* PM grind is the money club out of any type of bunker. I open the face a lot though and it works really well. What works too is me telling myself to use the bounce, whatever bounce the club has. That has helped me from thinning shots, misses with my wedges are primarily thin shots.

@BB28403 said:

> All I do is swing my 56 like a normal iron and the ball just comes out . The sand is so packed it is not going to help you.

Good advice. I stay pretty square face, weight toward target side, not too steep (because I will stick the leading edge right into the hard sand) and smooth, relaxed tempo. I think it’s an easier shot with a little less bounce and a club with a little heel relief, just in case, because that is where the club will most likely catch the hard sand and bounce into the ball, not under it. You’re not trying to use the bounce on this shot. You’re hitting a pitch off a hard surface. RTX4 58 Low grind and a Mizuno S18 60.06 are the two I rotate.

If sand is firm, you don’t need a big swing. Cannot ever decel, that is always a death move,

but you also don’t need to swing hard. Smooth tempo and let the club fall on the ball is how I think. Just a little stronger than if you were hitting a pitch off a hard-pan cart path running right by the side of a green. You would not swing hard at that ball. Only increases risk. Smooth contact is all you need and its coming up and out.

Good videos out there. Google “Stan Utley hard sand bunkers and Golf Channel” and he gives a pretty good explanation and demonstrates this shot. I think Charlie Rymer is the vid host. He keeps it simple.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

> @dmeeksDC said:

> @BB28403 said:

> > All I do is swing my 56 like a normal iron and the ball just comes out . The sand is so packed it is not going to help you.

>

> Good advice. I stay pretty square face, weight toward target side, not too steep (because I will stick the leading edge right into the hard sand) and smooth, relaxed tempo. I think it’s an easier shot with a little less bounce and a club with a little heel relief, just in case, because that is where the club will most likely catch the hard sand and bounce into the ball, not under it. You’re not trying to use the bounce on this shot. You’re hitting a pitch off a hard surface. RTX4 58 Low grind and a Mizuno S18 60.06 are the two I rotate.

> If sand is firm, you don’t need a big swing. Cannot ever decel, that is always a death move,

> but you also don’t need to swing hard. Smooth tempo and let the club fall on the ball is how I think. Just a little stronger than if you were hitting a pitch off a hard-pan cart path running right by the side of a green. You would not swing hard at that ball. Only increases risk. Smooth contact is all you need and its coming up and out.

> Good videos out there. Google “Stan Utley hard sand bunkers and Golf Channel” and he gives a pretty good explanation and demonstrates this shot. I think Charlie Rymer is the vid host. He keeps it simple.

>

>

Man I love Utley! that man taught me how to putt. I need to re read his stuff because im doing his dead weight a bit wrong these days.

the best wedge for these shots is called the foot wedge - xd

but if you are sadistical, there really is no wedge better than the vokey K grind - retail got that grind starting with SM 5. its literally the only wedge that is good for shallow or super steep swingers. any wedge that is comparable is just a replica of the k grind. the high toe is really nice as well, but for full, 3/4 shots, the toe is too wide imo.

I switched from a Glide 58 SS a couple months ago to a Stealth 58 ES. Love it out of bunkers & around greens.

Ping G410 10.5º HZDRUS Smoke 6.0 70g

Ping G25 5w Project X Pxv 53 6.0

Ping G410 3h ATMOS TS Blue 8

Ping G410 4h Tour 85 stiff

Ping G410 5-SW blue dot Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105 stiff

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 58º AWT wedge

Scotty Cameron 2014 Fastback Select 35” Superstroke Flatso

Titleist ProV1x