How’s your golf going this year?

NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,454 ✭✭

Since this old body is heading for another hip replacement , I can’t golf yet. Please give me some details about your game so I can dream what the game is like and forget my pain for awhile?

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Titleist 913 D3 44 inches also a Cleveland Classic 310 43.5 inches
3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
6-GW Titleist AP1s
53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
58 degree SW Vokey SM6
Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip

Comments

• LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 709 ✭✭

Mine is currently awful, so at least you are spared from the self-loathing that comes from crappy golf 😀. I kid...sort of.

Of course I still love it despite the bad golf, and am appreciative that I can play. I lost 3 full seasons in the past 10 years due to surgeries. I literally feel your pain.

Cheer up...you’ll be back out there eventually!

Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • rcb1586rcb1586 Members Posts: 378 ✭✭
    edited Apr 9, 2019 4:31pm #3

4 rounds in. Up and down so far.
    A couple normal scores in the low 80's. A couple bad scores in the low 90's.
    Snapped a driver shaft on #18 of my first round. Replacement on the way.
    One bright spot, I holed out on a par 4 from 96 yds for eagle last Saturday. Couldn't see it go in but still cool nonetheless.
    Hope you heal up soon!

TM M3 460, Hzrdus Yellow 6.0
    TM M3 3HL, Fujikura Pro Tour spec 73X
    TM P790 3, DGS300
    Mizuno MPH5 4-6, DG Pro S300
    Mizuno MP15 7-PW, DG Pro S300
    Mizuno MPT5 50.07, 54.12, 62.08, DG Wedge
    Mizuno Bettinardi C-03H 34"
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,222 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 9, 2019 4:34pm #5

Just perfect. Snow still on the ground and it is below freezing today. Don't expect to hit a real shot for another 2 weeks.

So to sum it up, I'm still even par for 2019. I assume my hcp is 0. ;)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Ping Forged 52°, ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,309 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 9, 2019 8:49pm #6

Sorry to hear about the hip NTL. One of the guys in our group had his done and is going through PT now. He's about 2 months from getting clearance to play. Hang in there...it will get better.

2018 was one of the worst years ever. My index rose dramatically, in our competitions I spent a lot of time DFL and my level of frustration was probably at an all time high. After our season ended, I decided to take a hard look at myself and figure out where I was going to focus on to return to a better form. I looked at everything from equipment, to the mental approach, on course attitude, etc. There were 3 things that stood out, too quick of a tempo, inconsistent iron play and sometimes a rather poor attitude toward myself.

My swing isn't the best but at one point I was as low as a 6 so there had to be some potential there, right. I decided to work on the mental part of the game both on and off course with a focus on fun, which wasn't the case for the majority of 2018. Simplifying everything was the goal. I made a club change and went to Cobra SL irons with the Arccos sensors which have had a positive outcome so far. Every shot has the ball in the same position, every swing has the same thought and it's been on the shot vs the outcome. Have been working on a slow takeaway (for me), keeping my head centered and shortening my swing. GIR has gone from 3 to 7 per round so far with opportunity for improvement. Through 10 rounds, I've gone from .4 to 2.1 birdies per round. Seeing lots of good things so far and very optimistic for the 2019 season.

Thanks for starting this thread because this is now a place where I can come back to remind myself if needed and keep the focus on the process and having fun vs. the outcome.

Post edited by DavePelz4 on
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,641 ✭✭

So far, so good.
    Played 14 times in 2019. I like where things are going.

• kmay__kmay__ Members Posts: 246 ✭✭

Pretty normal so far, I've played 18 twice and 3 hole 9 hole after work rounds. Still inconsistent haha, some shots are just so good, then i follow them up with a duff or a top. But cant complain bigger courses are just starting to open around here and the ranges as well, lots of golf to come.

Quick recovery to you OP!

TM 17' M2 9.5*
    Cobra Baffler 3w 16*
    PING G30 4h 22*
    TM R11 5 - PW
    Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
    Callaway PM Grind 60* (the greasy Phil)
    SC studio select Newport 2 mid-slant
  • NJpatbeeNJpatbee Members Posts: 1,498 ✭✭

Sorry about the problems for the OP - you will get back. I have played 2 practice rounds so far and almost ready for prime time but still ragged in spots.

• RoodyRoody You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all Members Posts: 1,055 ✭✭

Three rounds in so far. Though the first one was all-out practice since all 18 greens were temp greens. I did chip-in for eagle on one of those temp greens though, too bad it doesn't count.

The other two rounds were with normal greens. Two birdies so far, some pars, a whole lot of bogeys, and a handful of doubles+. Pretty sore from the walking, but I'll get used to it soon enough.

Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Odyssey Black Series #7
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges
  • GMN_02GMN_02 Memeber New JerseyMembers Posts: 189 ✭✭

1 round in so far and opened the year with a 76. Goal is to get to a 2 HC by the end of the season.

• Kevlar10Kevlar10 Members Posts: 36 ✭✭

I feel your pain. I slipped a disc in my back a few years ago and missed three years even after pt, the chiropractor and just general pain. The first two years after I felt better, I was so awful because I was afraid if I want at it 100% I’d hurt my back again. Last year I fixed my swing a little and I’m back out there full bore. I went to the driving range twice and one nine hole round, I’m feeling confident again. Still a lot of rust to knock off from the winter, hit a few chunky irons and sliced a tee shot but a 43 is not something I’m going to complain about. I dropped my handicap to 13.2 last year and I feel like my game is starting off well.

• MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members Posts: 1,595 ✭✭

Not as bad as usual for the beginning of the year. First round was a near miraculous 83 for the first time out. ( still not sure how that happened first time out). The last 4 have been 90/92 range. If I can just get rid of the couple of triple bogeys each round I’ll be feeling better about my game.

Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Speedline Super LS
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Adams XTD 4-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,671 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 17, 2019 9:03pm #14

Played "at golf" a bit over the weekend, didn't keep score, the greens are still punched from last year and are horrible, course needed drying out which is normal, and just babying my elbow and seeing what's what. Went out and played a quick nine kind of after work yesterday, same crappy greens, took the flag out on pretty much anything inside 6 feet (!) and what the heck, one of my best back nines ever! Joined by two friends when they got done with work, went to the front, and didn't play the front quite as well, but shot a who the heck would have guessed that 77! Full disclosure, our course is par 71, should be a par 70 and has a course rating under 70, so you all would probably destroy it and if I come to your course will easily shoot a nice to meet you 85-90+, lol, but still, pretty happy. Elbow felt pretty good, yesterday's philosophy was take 2 more clubs on iron shots and play what I guess you would call controlled knock downs/three quarter shots to the greens with those and with wedges, and was actually hitting greens or at least just off on the fringe. Hit my driver great for a change.
    Weather says no golf for about a week, so I'll watch The Masters and I'm sure I'll be out in another 10 days or so and f it all up. Something about those controlled swings and hitting greens seemed to scream "course management lightbulb moment" but I'm sure it will pass.

Edit: 76 Monday evening a week later! BUT . . . . as of Tuesday evening, couldn't figure out where the middle of the club was, got a little frustrated early and had I not picked up on a couple holes because of pace of play reasons, etc. and kept at a reasonable guess what I shot it was in the neighborhood of 14 over. So . . . it definitely all did pass, lol.

Post edited by Hawkeye77 on
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,376 ✭✭

@Hawkeye77 said:
    Played "at golf" a bit over the weekend, didn't keep score, the greens are still punched from last year and are horrible, course needed drying out which is normal, and just babying my elbow and seeing what's what. Went out and played a quick nine kind of after work yesterday, same crappy greens, took the flag out on pretty much anything inside 6 feet (!) and what the heck, one of my best back nines ever! Joined by two friends when they got done with work, went to the front, and didn't play the front quite as well, but shot a who the heck would have guessed that 77! Full disclosure, our course is par 71, should be a par 70 and has a course rating under 70, so you all would probably destroy it and if I come to your course will easily shoot a nice to meet you 85-90+, lol, but still, pretty happy. Elbow felt pretty good, yesterday's philosophy was take 2 more clubs on iron shots and play what I guess you would call controlled knock downs/three quarter shots to the greens with those and with wedges, and was actually hitting greens or at least just off on the fringe. Hit my driver great for a change.
    Weather says no golf for about a week, so I'll watch The Masters and I'm sure I'll be out in another 10 days or so and f it all up. Something about those controlled swings and hitting greens seemed to scream "course management lightbulb moment" but I'm sure it will pass.

Where do you play?

Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Sun Mountain Swift X

@tatertot said:

@Hawkeye77 said:

Where do you play?

PM on the way!

• jonnymc44jonnymc44 Manchester UKMembers Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited Apr 10, 2019 11:24am #17

All the best to OP and a speedy recovery.
    I've played 2 rounds in singles competitions - 82 and 87 (I'm an 8 hcp, par 72), and another Greensome round (each take tee shots, then alternate shots from the preferred ball). I've made a lot of pars but there have been too many doubles in there, though I'm level par on par 3s so I know my iron play is good (all GIR too).
    I feel like my ball striking is really good. Changed my swing slightly over the winter so now I have a draw. Really having to focus on aiming right of target as my gamer shot was always a slight fade. I've missed quite a few greens left leaving my scrambling to do the work. That is pretty dire at the moment, hence the bad scores. I feel something good will come this season especially having played a few times already. I wouldn't normally have played so much in early April.
    Fingers crossed for the rest of the season.

• BaitkillerBaitkiller Members Posts: 1,713 ✭✭

My brain decided to forget how to hit an iron, any iron. Went nine holes without solid contact. I have banished my miserable butt to the practice range to sort it out. Im not going back out like that again.

Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
  • mguhlermguhler Members Posts: 719 ✭✭

Haven't been out yet, so it's going great... Hope to find time over the next few weeks to chase it around.

Cally Epic SZ 9* - Aldila Tour Green
    Cally X2 Hot Pro 15* - Aldila Tour Green
    Srixon ZH45 #3 & #4 - Kuro Kage Black 70
    Mizuno MP-5 4-9 - Grafalloy ProLogic
    Scratch 8620DS 47* -Steelfiber i95s
    Vokey SM6/M Brushed Copper 54* & 58*
    Tour Cameron NP2
    WITB Link
  • WHC888WHC888 Members Posts: 2,720 ✭✭

all over the place, lowest 74 and highest 92. really struggle with shoulder pain lately!!

Taylormade M5 9* w/ CK Pro Orange 60s
    Callaway Rogue SZ 13.5* w/ Proforce V2
    Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons KBS FLT
    Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons KBS C Taper Lite
    Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons KBS $ Taper

NIKE OVEN Engage Wedges 46* Mike Taylor Specials

ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet ws8C8Un.jpg
    ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 49* wedge / KBS $Taper
    ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 53* wedge / KBS $Taper
    ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 58* wedge / KBS $Taper

Taylormade P7TW on deck

xG7EixQ.png
  • rwc356rwc356 Chicago, IllinoisMembers Posts: 313 ✭✭

82 - 84 - 90 so far this year with a 13 index. Weather has been pretty iffy in Chicago. Played yesterday in gorgeous 60 deg weather (and shot a lousy 90) and today its flipped to a high of 35 deg and chance of rain. Watch Master's prep on TV and getting really antsy for some decent weather.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,309 ClubWRX

@rwc356 said:
    82 - 84 - 90 so far this year with a 13 index. Weather has been pretty iffy in Chicago. Played yesterday in gorgeous 60 deg weather (and shot a lousy 90) and today its flipped to a high of 35 deg and chance of rain. Watch Master's prep on TV and getting really antsy for some decent weather.

Where did you play? Conditions?

• tommgtommg Members Posts: 137 ✭✭

Four rounds in four 91s. Basically picked up right where I left off despite new driver and irons. Hitting it good, putting is atrocious.

• FlyingLaw1FlyingLaw1 MOMembers Posts: 823 ✭✭

Didn't touch my clubs all winter... So still playing catch up. Finally getting back into things but going through a swing change. Some good some bad. Finally broke 80 on Sunday (76) after shooting a couple of really bad scores to start the season.

GO DAWGS

@FlyingLaw1 said:
    Didn't touch my clubs all winter... So still playing catch up. Finally getting back into things but going through a swing change. Some good some bad. Finally broke 80 on Sunday (76) after shooting a couple of really bad scores to start the season.

That's awesome! Amazing sometimes how well we can play so early in the year.

• tocinotocino Members Posts: 2,259 ✭✭

8 rounds in this year. I'm still all over the place (two 85's and two 104's) but i feel better about how everything's going so far. I am getting tired of the rain as I've only had one round where it either wasn't raining or the course wasn't absolutely soaked from they day(s) prior. Best thing I've done so far this early in the season is not hitting driver off of the tee every time i could.

• hybrid25hybrid25 michiganMembers Posts: 1,552 ✭✭

First time out, 2019, yesterday and my straight to mild draws were often pull hooks. Any advice would be appreciated. Had 9 pars, one birdie, four triples, four doubles. lol. Rust on the body.

• QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,523 ✭✭

I have played twice with two very different results.

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; Directed Force 2.1
    BALL; various, ask me that day.
  • rwc356rwc356 Chicago, IllinoisMembers Posts: 313 ✭✭

@DavePelz4 said:

@rwc356 said:

Where did you play? Conditions?

@DavePelz4 , I played at the old Waveland Course (Sydney Marovitz) overlooking the Lake. It's still a little muddy in some of the low spots - primarily in the roughs and the bunkers are very rough as expected with no rakes out on the course just yet. Fairways are starting to green up some but don't expect much roll. Greens are in really good shape and surprisingly fast for so early in the season. I love the course, its near my house and great to be able to see the Lake from all the holes.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag
  • BogeyPutt34BogeyPutt34 Members Posts: 87 ✭✭

I’ve worked so much on my short game over the winter, which has definitely improved, haven’t had a 3 putt yet which I contribute to my chipping and pitching improvements.
    I’ve always struggled with ball striking so I took a lesson a few weeks ago. Also changed irons this year. So my miss was always fat, and I recently discovered with my new irons that I hit off the toe as well. So my new swing is a vast improvement but for the first time ever I hit 3 shanks off the hosel... on one hole. 😔
    Also with all this work on irons and short game I hadn’t touched my driver since last year and it quickly became apparent that I have no recollection of a proper swing with the driver as well.
    Hopefully my struggles will bring you comfort in knowing you’re not missing much haha. Get well soon and join me in this frustrating game we all love so much, for some reason?!

• Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members Posts: 490 ✭✭

Not bad, but plenty of room for improvement. I've shot my two lowest scores ever in tournament play despite a balky driver. Hitting the range to fix that. My irons and short game are so much better. Switched out my Scotty for an Odyssey, and my putting is spot on.