G410 Irons

LaymanM

qkl3nnfxd9ns.jpg

Just wanted to share. Always had a soft spot for PING since my days as a junior golfer. My first set of irons at 13 years old back in 1994 was a set of black dot PING Eye 2. I played them or another set of them until I was 30. Never could find the same kind of love out of a set of irons or PING. Since then, I've had a million sets of irons it seems from blades to game improvement. Always suffering for too much offset. Finally found a set of irons which remind me of Eye 2! Enter G410 irons...

Have near perfect looks with minimal offset. Really make game a lot of fun. Yes, lofts are stronger, but wow the forgiveness and height are incredible. I'm getting a ton of stopping power too.

So, good bye Srixon Z785, yes you were sexy and felt amazing. For reference, I'm a decent golfer usually shooting upper 70s to low 80s.

I picked up a set of G410 4-PW and some Stealth Gide 2.0 wedges (50ss / 54ss / 58ss). Loving them. Trackman numbers were impressive and they have a very tight dispersion. 170 carry with 7 iron and 200 carry with 4 iron. For most part, they are point and shoot. I shot an easy 82 first time out with them and let me tell you, it was not best day. Missed about 4 makeable putts by inches and was not hitting the ball well.

Looking forward to a near all PING bag, just missing a PING driver at the moment.

Golf is supposed to be fun, after all it is a hobby for us hacks with a day job! So, I guess welcome me into the world of shovels (atlease they are good looking to me) and goodbye to players club. I guess at the end of the day, I want to have a realistic chance at hitting a GIR from 200 yards out.

If you have them, please post your thoughts. To me, PING have knocked it out the park with performance and enough good looks to appease someone who is pretty picky when it comes to looks.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

> @"James Cole" said:

> Why didn't you go with the set U,S and L wedges? Aren't they supposed to be the same as the glide 2.0?

They don’t look too bad, I’ve seen them a couple of times at PGA Superstore. I like the added versatility of glides. Thought about the U WEDGE but I chip and hit a lot of partial shots with it. I wanted the extra feel from the Glides. I’m a single digit player and have a decent short game.

I would like to try them, who knows perhaps they are amazing...????

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

> @LaymanM said:

> qkl3nnfxd9ns.jpg

>

> Just wanted to share. Always had a soft spot for PING since my days as a junior golfer. My first set of irons at 13 years old back in 1994 was a set of black dot PING Eye 2. I played them or another set of them until I was 30. Never could find the same kind of love out of a set of irons or PING. Since then, I've had a million sets of irons it seems from blades to game improvement. Always suffering for too much offset. Finally found a set of irons which remind me of Eye 2! Enter G410 irons...

> Have near perfect looks with minimal offset. Really make game a lot of fun. Yes, lofts are stronger, but wow the forgiveness and height are incredible. I'm getting a ton of stopping power too.

>

> So, good bye Srixon Z785, yes you were **** and felt amazing. For reference, I'm a decent golfer usually shooting upper 70s to low 80s.

>

> I picked up a set of G410 4-PW and some Stealth Gide 2.0 wedges (50ss / 54ss / 58ss). Loving them. Trackman numbers were impressive and they have a very tight dispersion. 170 carry with 7 iron and 200 carry with 4 iron. For most part, they are point and shoot. I shot an easy 82 first time out with them and let me tell you, it was not best day. Missed about 4 makeable putts by inches and was not hitting the ball well.

>

> Looking forward to a near all PING bag, just missing a PING driver at the moment.

>

> Golf is supposed to be fun, after all it is a hobby for us hacks with a day job! So, I guess welcome me into the world of shovels (atlease they are good looking to me) and goodbye to players club. I guess at the end of the day, I want to have a realistic chance at hitting a GIR from 200 yards out.

>

> If you have them, please post your thoughts. To me, PING have knocked it out the park with performance and enough good looks to appease someone who is pretty picky when it comes to looks.

Great set up Lay. Exactly the same here, with different shafts and without 4i.

You should really give a try to the woods and hybrid, they are very very good!!

My thoughts after about 10 rounds and a couple of range sessions.

Love, love, love.

Love the shape and the feel. Here I would like to open a side-discussion. I was so worried that in some reviews they were complaining about feel and they claimed that G400 feel was much better. In reality, on a well stroke hit, the feel is much better with the G410 and is so solid and light (if it makes sense), that I am not looking for a better feeling iron so far. On a bad one, I would say that it is a more springy feel, but not that much.

Love the distance and ball flight. Ball flight is higher that G400, but very penetrating and not more ballooning on good strikes. Distance I would not say anything because I am improving my swing and swing speed, so the increase in distance could be a consequence of that.

Love the forgiveness. Recently my worst recurrent shot is low toe hit and in most of the cases, those babies are saving me from a disaster!!

All in all, I couldn't be happier.

• Like 1

Those g410s are probably the best looking "shovels" ever. It's really remarkable how close they can get a SGI to a semi players club looks wise. Does the topline of them bother you at all?

TM Stealth2 HZRDUS Black 6.0 60g

Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Black 80S

Ping G430 19* HZRDUS Smoke Red 6.0 80g

Srixon ZX7 4-PW C-Taper Lite 110s

Cleveland RTX 6 50,56,60

Ping PLD Oslo 4

> @Storms said:

> Those g410s are probably the best looking "shovels" ever. It's really remarkable how close they can get a SGI to a semi players club looks wise. Does the topline of them bother you at all?

The topline is much more similar to the i210 rather than the G400s.

Anyhow, G410 are GI cat. The G700s are SGI.

> @matchavez said:

> OMG take the batteries out of that bag already... :wink:

OGIO Silencer...best bag ever! Keeps clubs from clanking around. Plus Orange and Black are badass!

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

> @Storms said:

> Those g410s are probably the best looking "shovels" ever. It's really remarkable how close they can get a SGI to a semi players club looks wise. Does the topline of them bother you at all?

Topline really isn't bad. They have done a remarkable job slimming them down and hiding the back. The only club that is slightly bothering me is the PW. Going from Srixon z785 is a big transition in looks and feel but I did play Eye 2 for about 17 years of my golfing life. 13-30. Offset is what kills me. Offset in these is tolerable. I have a hell of a time getting massive offset irons lines up and hit them left left left!

I would say they are just a little bigger than i210, but very similar looks.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

> @"James Cole" said:

> Why didn't you go with the set U,S and L wedges? Aren't they supposed to be the same as the glide 2.0?

Good, but not remotely the same in playability.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

> @"Marco Colo" said:

> > @LaymanM said:

> > qkl3nnfxd9ns.jpg

> >

> > Just wanted to share. Always had a soft spot for PING since my days as a junior golfer. My first set of irons at 13 years old back in 1994 was a set of black dot PING Eye 2. I played them or another set of them until I was 30. Never could find the same kind of love out of a set of irons or PING. Since then, I've had a million sets of irons it seems from blades to game improvement. Always suffering for too much offset. Finally found a set of irons which remind me of Eye 2! Enter G410 irons...

> > Have near perfect looks with minimal offset. Really make game a lot of fun. Yes, lofts are stronger, but wow the forgiveness and height are incredible. I'm getting a ton of stopping power too.

> >

> > So, good bye Srixon Z785, yes you were **** and felt amazing. For reference, I'm a decent golfer usually shooting upper 70s to low 80s.

> >

> > I picked up a set of G410 4-PW and some Stealth Gide 2.0 wedges (50ss / 54ss / 58ss). Loving them. Trackman numbers were impressive and they have a very tight dispersion. 170 carry with 7 iron and 200 carry with 4 iron. For most part, they are point and shoot. I shot an easy 82 first time out with them and let me tell you, it was not best day. Missed about 4 makeable putts by inches and was not hitting the ball well.

> >

> > Looking forward to a near all PING bag, just missing a PING driver at the moment.

> >

> > Golf is supposed to be fun, after all it is a hobby for us hacks with a day job! So, I guess welcome me into the world of shovels (atlease they are good looking to me) and goodbye to players club. I guess at the end of the day, I want to have a realistic chance at hitting a GIR from 200 yards out.

> >

> > If you have them, please post your thoughts. To me, PING have knocked it out the park with performance and enough good looks to appease someone who is pretty picky when it comes to looks.

>

> Great set up Lay. Exactly the same here, with different shafts and without 4i.

> You should really give a try to the woods and hybrid, they are very very good!!

>

> My thoughts after about 10 rounds and a couple of range sessions.

> Love, love, love.

> Love the shape and the feel. Here I would like to open a side-discussion. I was so worried that in some reviews they were complaining about feel and they claimed that G400 feel was much better. In reality, on a well stroke hit, the feel is much better with the G410 and is so solid and light (if it makes sense), that I am not looking for a better feeling iron so far. On a bad one, I would say that it is a more springy feel, but not that much.

> Love the distance and ball flight. Ball flight is higher that G400, but very penetrating and not more ballooning on good strikes. Distance I would not say anything because I am improving my swing and swing speed, so the increase in distance could be a consequence of that.

> Love the forgiveness. Recently my worst recurrent shot is low toe hit and in most of the cases, those babies are saving me from a disaster!!

> All in all, I couldn't be happier.

Feel ahhh...well they arent forged but I knew that going in. They feel fine when hitting the center of the face, misshits dont feel the best. But I'm enjoying them so far. Nothing sweeter than ripping a high, long and on target golf shot. My goal was to hit more GIR and make the game a little easier. So far I'm hitting a few more. I expect to play much better this evening in league. Shot 82 and know I didn't play well. Was NOT striking the ball particularly well or putting well.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

> @rgk5 said:

> > @"James Cole" said:

> > Why didn't you go with the set U,S and L wedges? Aren't they supposed to be the same as the glide 2.0?

>

> Good, but not remotely the same in playability.

Agreed, they are bigger too. Competitive with Cleveland CBX line of wedges. If you need a wider sole and max forgiveness I'm sure they would be perfect.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

> @LaymanM said:

> > @rgk5 said:

> > > @"James Cole" said:

> > > Why didn't you go with the set U,S and L wedges? Aren't they supposed to be the same as the glide 2.0?

> >

> > Good, but not remotely the same in playability.

>

> Agreed, they are bigger too. Competitive with** Cleveland CBX line** of wedges. If you need a wider sole and max forgiveness I'm sure they would be perfect.

Actually they can be thinner than the CBX. Witness the TS and SS models.

> @rgk5 said:

> > @LaymanM said:

> > > @rgk5 said:

> > > > @"James Cole" said:

> > > > Why didn't you go with the set U,S and L wedges? Aren't they supposed to be the same as the glide 2.0?

> > >

> > > Good, but not remotely the same in playability.

> >

> > Agreed, they are bigger too. Competitive with** Cleveland CBX line** of wedges. If you need a wider sole and max forgiveness I'm sure they would be perfect.

>

> Actually they can be thinner than the CBX. Witness the TS and SS models.

Glide 2.0 are thinner. G410 wedges are not smaller than CBX and do not come in TS or SS grides. The ONLY thing G410 wedges and Glide 2.0 have in common is they are both made by PING and both have the same groove geometry. They are NOT the same size, not even close....

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

> @johnnypro said:

> Long and forgiving but I really can't accept the sound or the feel.

> Going back to the i210.

> Off to ebay!

I have ordered a G410 6-iron and an i210 7-iron for trial.

What my eyes see while the ball is in the air is more important than sound or feel. I'll play the irons that provide the best ball flight.

Heck, that might be G700's. We'll see. (See what I did there?)

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @LaymanM said:

> > @rgk5 said:

> > > @LaymanM said:

> > > > @rgk5 said:

> > > > > @"James Cole" said:

> > > > > Why didn't you go with the set U,S and L wedges? Aren't they supposed to be the same as the glide 2.0?

> > > >

> > > > Good, but not remotely the same in playability.

> > >

> > > Agreed, they are bigger too. Competitive with** Cleveland CBX line** of wedges. If you need a wider sole and max forgiveness I'm sure they would be perfect.

> >

> > Actually they can be thinner than the CBX. Witness the TS and SS models.

>

> Glide 2.0 are thinner. G410 wedges are not smaller than CBX and do not come in TS or SS grides. The ONLY thing G410 wedges and Glide 2.0 have in common is they are both made by PING and both have the same groove geometry. They are NOT the same size, not even close....

I was unclear. I was referring to the Glide 1.0 and 2.0 wedges. See my signature

> @"Marco Colo" said:

> > @Storms said:

> > Those g410s are probably the best looking "shovels" ever. It's really remarkable how close they can get a SGI to a semi players club looks wise. Does the topline of them bother you at all?

>

> The topline is much more similar to the i210 rather than the G400s.

>

> Anyhow, G410 are GI cat. The G700s are SGI.

G410's have a higher MOI than the G700's, believe it or not (as per Maltby's measurements).

G700's have them beat on launch.

> @"nohny noke" said:

> > @"Marco Colo" said:

> > > @Storms said:

> > > Those g410s are probably the best looking "shovels" ever. It's really remarkable how close they can get a SGI to a semi players club looks wise. Does the topline of them bother you at all?

> >

> > The topline is much more similar to the i210 rather than the G400s.

> >

> > Anyhow, G410 are GI cat. The G700s are SGI.

>

> G410's have a higher MOI than the G700's, believe it or not (as per Maltby's measurements).

>

> G700's have them beat on launch.

>

I could be wrong but I think about the difference between the two categories sits in how chunky and big the club head is, rather than the moi rate

> @"nohny noke" said:

> > @"Marco Colo" said:

> > > @Storms said:

> > > Those g410s are probably the best looking "shovels" ever. It's really remarkable how close they can get a SGI to a semi players club looks wise. Does the topline of them bother you at all?

> >

> > The topline is much more similar to the i210 rather than the G400s.

> >

> > Anyhow, G410 are GI cat. The G700s are SGI.

>

> G410's have a higher MOI than the G700's, believe it or not (as per Maltby's measurements).

>

> G700's have them beat on launch.

>

738 v. 736. That's the same in my book.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @Banker said:

> I like them more and more every time I play.

Hope that is the case today! Headed for league play. 9 holes in 1 hr. Pne thing I have noticed is that I have to pay a lot more attention to my alignment then I am used to with my z785s irons I was playing. Dunno if the extra size just allows me to be a little sloppy or just need to spend more time with them an get more comfortable

• Like 1

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

> @gvogel said:

> > @"nohny noke" said:

> > > @"Marco Colo" said:

> > > > @Storms said:

> > > > Those g410s are probably the best looking "shovels" ever. It's really remarkable how close they can get a SGI to a semi players club looks wise. Does the topline of them bother you at all?

> > >

> > > The topline is much more similar to the i210 rather than the G400s.

> > >

> > > Anyhow, G410 are GI cat. The G700s are SGI.

> >

> > G410's have a higher MOI than the G700's, believe it or not (as per Maltby's measurements).

> >

> > G700's have them beat on launch.

> >

>

> 738 v. 736. That's the same in my book.

That's the Maltby MPF rating. Measured MOI is:

G410 19.0437 g/cm2

G700 17.7991 g/cm2

Whether that translates to actual forgiveness on-course is another matter.

> @"Marco Colo" said:

> > @"nohny noke" said:

> > > @"Marco Colo" said:

> > > > @Storms said:

> > > > Those g410s are probably the best looking "shovels" ever. It's really remarkable how close they can get a SGI to a semi players club looks wise. Does the topline of them bother you at all?

> > >

> > > The topline is much more similar to the i210 rather than the G400s.

> > >

> > > Anyhow, G410 are GI cat. The G700s are SGI.

> >

> > G410's have a higher MOI than the G700's, believe it or not (as per Maltby's measurements).

> >

> > G700's have them beat on launch.

> >

>

> I could be wrong but I think about the difference between the two categories sits in how chunky and big the club head is, rather than the moi rate

>

>

You could very well be right. I'm not sure how PING defines GI vs SGI.

I just found it interesting that the smaller iron could potentially be more left/right forgiving than the chunkier one. Tungsten to the rescue!

> @LaymanM said:

> > @matchavez said:

> > OMG take the batteries out of that bag already... :wink:

>

> OGIO Silencer...best bag ever! Keeps clubs from clanking around. Plus Orange and Black are badass!

Beetlejuice.

**Beetlejuice.**

# BEETLEJUICE!

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

> @"nohny noke" said:

> > @gvogel said:

> > > @"nohny noke" said:

> > > > @"Marco Colo" said:

> > > > > @Storms said:

> > > > > Those g410s are probably the best looking "shovels" ever. It's really remarkable how close they can get a SGI to a semi players club looks wise. Does the topline of them bother you at all?

> > > >

> > > > The topline is much more similar to the i210 rather than the G400s.

> > > >

> > > > Anyhow, G410 are GI cat. The G700s are SGI.

> > >

> > > G410's have a higher MOI than the G700's, believe it or not (as per Maltby's measurements).

> > >

> > > G700's have them beat on launch.

> > >

> >

> > 738 v. 736. That's the same in my book.

>

> That's the Maltby MPF rating. Measured MOI is:

> G410 19.0437 g/cm2

> G700 17.7991 g/cm2

>

> Whether that translates to actual forgiveness on-course is another matter.

>

The Maltby measurement penalizes a club that is hollow body and has the cog back behind the face, because in order to hit decent launch angles, the cog has to be higher. Maltby penalizes higher cog's.

There is no corresponding measurement in the Maltby system to correct for hollow, rear cog clubs.

The i500, which most would say to be more forgiving, higher launching than the i210, is classified as a very difficult to hit muscle back iron in the Maltby classification.

Just sayin'.

I have bought an i500 6-iron, G410 6-iron, G700 6-iron and i210 7-iron. I will have some observations in, around, July.

• Like 1

Well boys and girls....this set up of PING g410 and Glide 2.0 stealth 50, 54, 58 are pretty amazing. Shot even PAR 35 tonight. 2 birdies and 2 bogies. Hit 5 GIR which I am happy with. Need to get that number up a tad, but 2 were with 50 degree gap wedges. 1 left short, didnt make a good full swing and other had a bit of a flyer lie and flew 6 yards the distance I feel I should be hitting.

Recap...LOVE G410 irons. Did everything and more than I could ask. Had 1 bad iron shot all round and that was due to alignment. Had a stinker swing with a 7 iron on a par 3, 173 and still hit the green. Was only 10-12 feet from the hole. Cant praise the clubs enough! Key for me is making sure my alignment is spot on because I am not moving the ball, they are flying dead straight. My 3 yard draw is gone, so a tad adjustment with alignment to stock shot is all that has been needed.

Shot 82 (40/42) first time out and 35 2nd time out. I have shot par at this course once before but not in league play and not with such ease.

• Like 1

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

The MOI measurement doesn't take into account this rearward CG, though, right? He plops the head on a MOI machine and it tests the resistance to twisting, which is (?) independent of front/back CG?

> @gvogel said:

>

> The Maltby measurement penalizes a club that is hollow body and has the cog back behind the face, because in order to hit decent launch angles, the cog has to be higher. Maltby penalizes higher cog's.

>

> There is no corresponding measurement in the Maltby system to correct for hollow, rear cog clubs.

>

> The i500, which most would say to be more forgiving, higher launching than the i500, is classified as a very difficult to hit muscle back iron in the Maltby classification.

>

> Just sayin'.

>

> I have bought an i500 6-iron, G410 6-iron, G700 6-iron and i210 7-iron. I will have some observations in, around, July.

• 2 weeks later...

A little update for you guys. Love these irons!!!! Shot par again, 35, in league. That's par in 2 of last 3 weeks. Hit 8 of 9 GIR. 1 birdie 1 boogie. No fault of irons. 1 bad tee shot cost me a penalty on stroke. Hit green on drop with 7 iron from 170 and made par. so would have been 9 for 9 GIR. Maximizing GIR was exact reason I switched to G410 and they have been delivering 10 fold!

These irons have been amazing and now seeing the potential in my golf game with increased GIR.

• Like 2

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

Mine should be here next week, ditching my Z585's for an all PING set up, I need the help with my irons. 10 handicap iron play is my weakness!

Ping G430 10* Tensei orange

Callaway Paradym 16.5 Hzrdus

Ping G430 19*&22* Evnflow black

Srixon ZX5 MKii 5-GW DG

Vokey SM9 54*&58*

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Vice Pro