Touching another man’s clubs

I’m at the range today and there’s a new pro at the course doing his rounds trying to drum up business. I see him walking down the range toward my stall, but I’m not really paying that much attention.

As I’m standing over my ball, readying my next swing, I see him out of the corner of my eye standing by my bag actually pulling one of my irons out to take a look. I use the opportunity to simulate pressure and take my swing. I turn around and he’s still eyeing my clubs in his hands, asking me questions about them.

Anyway, I’m not a very confrontational person so all I really did was give him some side eye and curt small talk. But on the inside I was pretty ripped. I mean to me this is a pretty massive breach of etiquette and completely out of line. Especially for a club pro who should know better! You just don’t touch a strangers’ clubs!

Right? Am I way off base for getting pissed enough to start a thread on a golf forum?

Comments

• nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,600 ✭✭

Starting a thread about it ? Maybe.

Getting annoyed about it ? Hmmmmmm,,,,,,,,, I think, if I wanted to check out someone's golf club I'd ask first - "Mind if I check out your,,,,,,, ?"

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-4 48, 52, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 56* DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3, 64 DGS300

Evnroll 1.2 (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • MarcellusWMarcellusW Members Posts: 115 ✭✭

You are completely right.
    Since when is it okay to touch someone else's stuff without asking? Maybe he thought he was just being friendly. Maybe he feels like he owns the range, since he is a pro there.
    Not worth getting too worked up over. We've all come across the wrong way and one time or another.

• SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers Posts: 2,208 ✭✭
    edited Apr 10, 2019 11:55am #7

"Hey man, lay off the clubs". Do not make thread about it, wait for the next driving range woes thread then share story.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 3,990 ✭✭

What kind of clubs are they?

• double_ddouble_d Members Posts: 322 ✭✭

I wouldn't start a thread about it but, it might bother me if it was a complete stranger.
    If it was someone known to me or at least someone I had seen around but, didn't know his name, I probably wouldn't care.
    If it was an attractive woman I definitely wouldn't care. I know double standards... so shoot me.

• Mr. BeanMr. Bean Members Posts: 3,895 ✭✭

Around here such a behaviour shows serious lack of good manners. And I mean the pro. First, he is touching another person's belongings without asking, and second, he is unnecessarily disturbing another person when making a stroke. And yes, this 2nd thing is really a non-issue but a person with good manners would have waited until the stroke had been performed and then asked a proper question.

• deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,671 ClubWRX

Maybe he’s using it as a way to connect and get to know the members, a common topic maybe thing maybe?

But probably still should have waited and asked.

Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,711 ClubWRX

Biting my tongue on some obvious responses some may not find as funny.
    Anyway, don’t see the big problem based on the description. I wouldn’t do it without asking but that’s me. Someone I know does it to me I’m not the least bit worried.

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,890 ✭✭

Op. Im with you. Don’t do it if I haven’t met you. My pro will do it. And he’s my next door neighbor of 10 years. And I still don’t like it. And it isn’t because my clubs are mint. I beat the crap out of them. It’s just principle. It’s incredibly rude. A Players clubs are like a shooters rifle , or a surgeons instruments. Why touch them ? What possible business could you have doing that ?

If I know you I may offer. I have plenty of times in fact. But that type thing reminds me of a story.

Once upon a time I had a customer come down from Long Island to see his project etc. we took him to lunch , to our favorite mom and pop Mexican food joint. My right hand man orders a spicy cheese dip for himself. Has it sitting in his personal space and is eating away. Customer says “ hey that looks good “ and proceeds to reach across the table with a fork of all things , that he just had in his mouth .... he scoops up all he can gather and pushes his plate over and drops it across to his plate. My guy just had this “ wtf” look on his face. He just pushed the dip away and didn’t touch it again. That’s on the same level as molesting a strangers clubs. “ get back man. You don’t know me like that “. Is the only polite phrase that fits

TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • b.heltsb.helts Members Posts: 2,842 ✭✭

Bladehunter: how does this invitation go?
    Do you say, “hey fella, want to have a look at my clubs?”

I can’t imagine what that looks like. I audibly laughed at your analogies and found all of them ridiculous.

You are welcome to feel the way you do, but don’t try to rationalize it. It isn’t a rational reaction.

@b.helts said:
    Bladehunter: how does this invitation go?
    Do you say, “hey fella, want to have a look at my clubs?”

I can’t imagine what that looks like. I audibly laughed at your analogies and found all of them ridiculous.

You are welcome to feel the way you do, but don’t try to rationalize it. It isn’t a rational reaction.

Well. I meant that if someone with a shred of manners mentioned , or asked about a club I’m likely to “ invite “ them to check it out or even hit it. ( depending on the person). But don’t just walk up as a stranger and start pulling stuff out. How is that not one of the rudest things one can do ?

It’s quite rational. Breaking the club in my hands over your head would be irrational. ( not meaning you personally. The stranger ). And That’s my first thought. Some folks value privacy and personal space. Consider it before violating someone’s. Not sure how that’s irrational.

• BM5DBM5D Members Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited Apr 11, 2019 2:52am #19

If you want to guarantee everyone touches and subsequently wants to hit your clubs, buy PXGs. Without fail someone will always come up and slide an iron out of your bag and ask if you really like them. Or if they're really worth the hype.
    "You mind if I hit your 7 iron?"
    "Naw...go ahead man"
    hooks it 25 yards left because it's bent 3 degrees upright
    "I'll stick to my Taylor Mades"

• RobertBaronRobertBaron Members Posts: 774 ✭✭

@LeoLeo99 said:
    What kind of clubs are they?

MP14’s

• RobertBaronRobertBaron Members Posts: 774 ✭✭

@jholz said:
    One should always ask before touching another person's property.

This is really the heart of the issue for me. Golf clubs, iPhone whatever. You freaking ask first.

• hacker49hacker49 Members Posts: 484 ✭✭

@RobertBaron said:
    Right? Am I way off base for getting pissed enough to start a thread on a golf forum?

He definitely crossed the line of personal boundaries by touching your property without permission. I would have confronted him asking him what he thought he was doing and to put my stuff back. As a businessman he should know better. I don't tolerate people messing with my stuff without asking.

• HatsForBatsHatsForBats Members Posts: 1,562 ✭✭

I just can't see much of a reason to get upset at that particular situation.

• Skaffa77Skaffa77 No place like the Sand Hills! ClubWRX Posts: 6,855 ClubWRX

OP - I'm with you.
    I know some will disagree, but to me...I relate golf equipment and cars in a very similar light. At it's a core, they are both functional tools or objects that help you complete a task. But beyond that, they become things of beauty and passion.
    Would I be okay if some random person started touching my car or if he/she tried to open the door to look inside? NOPE. Am I okay with someone I don't know pulling off the headcover to my driver and pulling that club out of my bag for a closer inspection? NOPE.

• jholzjholz Members Posts: 1,367 ✭✭
    edited Apr 11, 2019 7:59pm #25

For those that question why anyone would get upset about someone touching their stuff without their permission, I have a few questions for you.

Have you ever had anything stolen? Are you aware that some people steal stuff? Additionally, have you ever noticed that some people have a tendency to be less careful with stuff that doesn't belong to them?

Given these well established truths of human nature, if someone is messing with my stuff without asking, a small part of me is always going to wonder: "Are they trying to steal my stuff? Are they going to bash my driver into the sidewalk?" In this world, you have no idea what people might do.

For those that still don't have a problem with the scenario as presented - do you just not care about your stuff? Are you willing to let someone damage it or walk away with it? Or, are you simply assuming that any person at a driving range - whether golf pro or not - is above theft or carelessness? It seems you are living in a different reality than my own.

Theft, ultimately, is the fault of the idiot that fails to lock their door.

Post edited by jholz on
    Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
    Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
    Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
    5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
    Vokey Design 200 Series 52* Stock Wedge (?)
    Cleveland CG15 Oilcan 56* Stock Wedge
    Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
    Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

@Skaffa77 said:
    OP - I'm with you.
    I know some will disagree, but to me...I relate golf equipment and cars in a very similar light. At it's a core, they are both functional tools or objects that help you complete a task. But beyond that, they become things of beauty and passion.
    Would I be okay if some random person started touching my car or if he/she tried to open the door to look inside? NOPE. Am I okay with someone I don't know pulling off the headcover to my driver and pulling that club out of my bag for a closer inspection? NOPE.

Exactly. I’m the guy who parks far away from other cars if I can. Never mind walking a bit. I’m also consequently the guy who owns a 2000 model f150 that’s been used as a tow/work truck since new that does not have a single ding in it. And has the appearance inside of a truck with 100k miles. It has 326k miles on it as of today. Same engine same trans. Etc. nobodies ever driven it but me. No body services it but me.

Now clubs aren’t as easy to keep up. You beat them on the ground but. I’ve had people do everything from peel lead tape off my irons to rub their sweaty hands into my grips. As I tell my brother. God didn’t put eyeballs in your finger tips. Look , but paws to yourself.

• I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,277 ✭✭

IMHO, you missed a chance at getting to know the new pro. Good lord, someone touched your clubs? What happens when kids try to clean them after a round?

• Skaffa77Skaffa77 No place like the Sand Hills! ClubWRX Posts: 6,855 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 11, 2019 8:36pm #28

@I_HATE_SNOW said:
    IMHO, you missed a chance at getting to know the new pro. Good lord, someone touched your clubs? What happens when kids try to clean them after a round?

Difference...I choose if I want the kids to clean my clubs or not. I'm choosing for them to handle it...but a random person deciding to handle it has taken it upon themselves to make that choice for property that isn't their own..

• lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,250 ✭✭

Probably wouldn't bother me at all but everyone is different.

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,711 ClubWRX

The more I think about eyeballs in my fingertips the more I don’t think that sounds as interesting as I first thought it might. ;-)

• Snowman9000Snowman9000 Members Posts: 1,096 ✭✭

I can see where it could be off-putting, but it's a first world problem for sure. Now being on the wrong side of 60, I realize that life is short, and chill out. Living too tightly wrapped is not good for you.

Driver 915 D2
    5W Wilson Fybrid
    4h, 5h Adams Idea Tech 2015
    5-AW Snake Eyes Viper MS, graphite
    58º Callaway MD2 Forged S grind
    Putter TM Rossa Daytona 6