Question: adjusting score expectations for different yardages

Some recent posts mentioned appropriate yardages for different ages as well as based on driving distance. Longer yardages would result in higher scores, but how do you make that adjustment - is it linear?

Hypothetical: typical score 70 for 4900 yards, 70 yards per stroke. Is it fair to then expect to shoot 80 from 5600?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    edited Apr 10, 2019 11:58am #2

Look at the course rating that is probably more important then distance in how well you will score. A very hard course will be tough no matter what the distance is. I am not sure but I think course rating takes into account distance since it varies by tees.

A long easy course that demands you take an extra shot to reach the green is a lot easier then a short course with a lot of trouble on and need to stay in the fairway. At the end of the day it about the weakness the individual golfer and the course they are playing.

Post edited by tiger1873 on
  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 963 ✭✭

From sub 5,500 he should be under par. Over 6,000 and you're looking at par 3's in the 180-200 (5 hybrid / 4 hybrid) yard range with greenside bunkering which are difficult for him if the chipping and putting aren't perfect. The rest of the holes he just has to be focused and he'll be fine.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• MikekiMMikekiM Members Posts: 179 ✭✭

It's completely dependent on the course and layout. If greens are protected well with water and bunkers that normally are easy carrys at x yardage, but become in play at y yardage then scores will go up more than courses that don't have similar types of protections. The biggest issue I see with junior golfers relation to score is their carry distance and ability to cover the hazards on approach shots. A normal 2 shot par 4 doesn't necessarily become a 3 shot par 4 because it's now 30yards longer if there's a hazard in play now. Every course is going to be different and some courses will be easier to score than others.

• @leezer99 said:
    From sub 5,500 he should be under par. Over 6,000 and you're looking at par 3's in the 180-200 (5 hybrid / 4 hybrid) yard range with greenside bunkering which are difficult for him if the chipping and putting aren't perfect. The rest of the holes he just has to be focused and he'll be fine.

@leezer99 said:

Hitting a 4/5 hybrid and holding the green on par 3s at 180-200 is deep. It’s effectively a 2 shot hole to the green no matter what for a junior golfer 12u and doesn’t distinguish ball striking.

• kcapkcap Members Posts: 154 ✭✭

@JuniorGolfParent said:
    Some recent posts mentioned appropriate yardages for different ages as well as based on driving distance. Longer yardages would result in higher scores, but how do you make that adjustment - is it linear?

Hypothetical: typical score 70 for 4900 yards, 70 yards per stroke. Is it fair to then expect to shoot 80 from 5600?

Thanks in advance

For us.. it all depends on the ability to hit a GIR with a iron. That could be impact by length or layout.

• I know that my score expectations for my daughter vary based on the distances. If she is playing the local US Kids stuff then shooting around par is realistic. If you are playing at the regional or worlds where its 4800-5000 yds for her age group, then 80-85 is more realistic. Its like me going to play Bethpage Black from the tips and its 7400 yds. I can't reasonably expect to shoot the same score as I would on my course from the regular mens tees (6300 yds.) My daughter and I jointly set our own goals for the tournament and then she goes about trying to achieve them. As she gets better we continue to make the goals tougher to achieve.