Cobra King CB/MB old vs new. Anyone?

SvenS3SvenS3 Posts: 434 ✭✭

Hey Guys, I want to order some new Cobra Irons and looking for the King Forged CB/MB Combo Set.

Did anyone of you tested them Head to Head? Is there a noticeable difference with the tungsten at the bottom in the new ones?

Can't hit them side by side. Only hit the new ones.

Thanks

Driver: Callaway Rogue Draw / Oban Devotion 6 stiff
Fairway: Callaway Alpha 815 / Oban Devotion 7 stiff or AD DI 7 stiff in rotation
Hybrid: Titleist 818 H1 21 degree with Evenflow 5.5 or AD DI 85 stiff in rotation
Irons: Titleist 818 AP2 5-P / Nippon Modus 105 stiff
Wedges: Titleist SM7 48/54/60 / Nippon Modus 105 stiff
Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna custom or Piretti Cortino custom
Ball: Taylormade TP5

Grips: Gripmaster Kangaroo Sewn Oversize all black.
Tagged:

Comments

• justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members Posts: 2,579 ✭✭

I’ve had both. The new ones have a denser feel but still soft if that makes any sense.

I actually have a near new set on eBay.

• SvenS3SvenS3 Posts: 434 ✭✭

I'm from Germany, so thanks but I will buy my clubs here in Europe.

Did you notice any difference in ballflight or forgiveness because of the tungsten in the toe?

Fairway: Callaway Alpha 815 / Oban Devotion 7 stiff or AD DI 7 stiff in rotation
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 H1 21 degree with Evenflow 5.5 or AD DI 85 stiff in rotation

• SoAZSoAZ Members Posts: 15 ✭✭

Interested in this too, hope to hear some feedback. Saw them at a store not long ago but had the wife with me so had to run and didn't get a chance to hit them, they are gorgeous.

Hope that someone chimes in and can give some feedback

• New ones felt slightly different and flew a little higher. Same exact iron other than the plug so won't be a lot of difference either way. I prefer the previous model because I don't need help hitting it higher but they are great irons either way.

• NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,172 ✭✭

I've not hit them, so I'll just comment on the physics properties...

The vertical CG of the 19 MB is essentially the same as that of the earlier version from 2016. Its about 0.9mm/0.037" farther from the hosel. The CG of the 19 CB is about a quarter millimeter farther from the hosel and about the same amount higher.

The MOI of the 19 MB and CB is marginally higher than that of the 16 MB and CB, though a bit of that is due to the measured clubheads being a couple grams heavier. This MOI difference isn't enough to mean anything IMHO; I don't think many are going to be able to tell the difference between 2000 and 2100 MOI, LOL.

Essentially the same. {shrug}

The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
  • armyhawk3342armyhawk3342 Members Posts: 54 ✭✭

I can't imagine there is really that much of a difference. I decided to custom order the previous model mb's just before the new ones were released. I got mine with the AMT Tour White shafts in the black finish and love the setup. I came from the Mizuno MP15 and am happy with the switch. It's your money so if you think you need the new ones then go for it, but if you want to save a few bucks i'd suggest going the route I did and get the previous model. Good luck you can't go wrong with either choice.

Driver: Cobra F8+ (9.5*)
    Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler (17.5)
    Hybrid: Cobra F7 (22*), Cobra F8 (25*)
    Irons: Cobra King Pro MB Black (6-PW)
    Wedges: Callaway MD4 Tactical (50* S Grind, 54* S Grind, 58* X Grind)
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tess
    Ball: Titleist AVX/ Wilson Staff Duo U

That sounds great. I tested the new ones today again. And the only thing that were not optimal for my eye is the higher launch. If the old ones fly lower (technical wise in theory) it would be perfect.

What you mean with they felt slightly different? New ones softer/harder?
    I loved the fell of the amp cell pros.

Any more comments on old vs new in the feel department? What is different?

Thanks Guys

• juststevejuststeve Members Posts: 4,697 ✭✭

Never hit the older version but I did hit the new ones extensively outdoors off grass. Were I remotely in the market for new irons they would be in my bag. They look great even though I'm not a big fan of the black. Feel as good as any forged iron I've ever hit. Very controllable and much easier to hit that a club of that size ought to be. A+ in my book.

Steve

• BearQBearQ Break 2 Rebuild Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭

Unfortunately I only own the cobra 19 MB gap wedge lol. It’s a beautiful little baby blade. Acts like a true pitching wedge imo and I hit full swing shots from 110-130 way better than I ever have. They even threw tungsten in the gap lol

LTD Pro (9.5*) - Matrix Type C Prototype 70X
    M2 Tour (15*)  or  (16.5*) - Black Tie 80M4-X  
    P790 UDI #2 (18*)  / TP UDI #3 (19*) - Black Tie HM4 105X  or  Bridgestone XD-H (18*) - Speeder TS 9.8X
    Srixon Z945 (4-P) - Nippon SPB X
    Cobra MB (50*) Nike VR Forged (56*) Cleveland RTX 2 (60.08W)
    Spider Tour Black 

• pltplt Members Posts: 100 ✭✭

I haven't hit the new ones but I have the old ones. As @juststeve said, they're surprisingly easy to hit for their size. I think the tungsten in the toe helps a lot. As for flight, I have the factory C-Taper stiff and the flight is medium-high for me, though I'm a high ball hitter. These are great clubs. You can't go wrong with them.

Yeah I loved the amp cell pro and the fly z pro and had no problem with the missing tungsten in the amp cell pro. The fly z pro has the tungsten and I didn't notice any difference.

Thats why I ask If you can feel a difference in the new one with the 2 tungsten weights?

By the way, how is the CB playing? I´m still not sure if I will go full MB from 5-Gap or 5/6 in the CB and 7-Gap in the MB Head.

Thanks for your help Guys

• kiwiikiwii Members Posts: 696 ✭✭

Cobra isn’t know for revamping their irons year to year. Look at the king Forged tour iron. Essential the same as the Amp Forged.

Nothing seems to be different between the two model years when I set them down at address.

'17 M1 460 9.5/ Rogue Silver
    XR '14 Pro/ PX LZ
    Adams 9031 18°/ Diamana WB
    716 AP24-pw/DG AMT S300
    '14 TM TP 52/56/60
    2014 Squareback/ Lamkin DE + 2 wraps
    Ogio Ozone, TM targa tour
    Tour Boost 360
    TM TP5/ Srixon Zstar XV

Yes, down at Adress both years are identical. I'm only interested in the performance difference because off the added tungsten in the bottom.

• pingman33pingman33 titleist33 Members Posts: 72 ✭✭

I have the old (16) version full cb's (4-gw) and they are amazing. Best irons and I've ever hit. Got them when they first came out and the black finish still looks fantastic! All my buddies tell me I'm an idiot if I even think about getting rid of these. I guess that says something.

Bag 1 Bag 2
    Cobra LTD Driver Titleist TS 2 Driver
    Cobra LTD 3-4 wood Titleist Ts 2 fw
    Cobra F6 Baffler Titleist 917 5 wd
    Cobra 3 Utility Titleist TMB 4-gw
    Cobra King Forged CB Black 4-gw Titleist SM7 Black 54m, 58m
    Cobra King Wedges 54,58 Scotty Cameron
    Scotty Cameron

Thanks for all your Input.

Anymore direct comparisons between old and new ones?