WORLDS WORST PUTTER - PLEASE HELP

theWISEmantheWISEman Legend in my own mind...TexasClubWRX Posts: 160 ClubWRX

Hello all,

I'm seeking some advice/drills to help my putting.

My last 4 rounds have been low-mid 80's (80, 80, 82, 87) but my putting has been the absolute worst I've ever seen. The last 4 rounds I've had 39, 40, 40 and 41 putts per round. Meanwhile, I have averaged around 10-12 GIR.
I'm not sure where to even start. I have been three putting 3-5 holes per round and in some cases even four putting once or twice. The greens I have played on aren't extremely tough, maybe running 9-11 on stimp. It seems lately even when I stick it to 3-5 feet on my approach shot, I can't see the break or judge the speed right and will completely miss the hole.

Any mental advice or putting drills to gain some confidence? I'm not trying to roll the rock like a PGA player, but I feel like I should at least be averaging 34-36 putts per round.

TAYLORMADE M3 PROJECT X HZRDUS YELLOW 63 6.5
TAYLORMADE M4 PROJECT X HZRDUS BLACK 62 6.5
TAYLORMADE P790 UDI PROJECT X HZRDUS BLACK 85 6.5
MIZUNO MP5 4-PW TOUR ISSUE SST PURE X100
VOKEY RAW SM7 50* 54* 58* TOUR ISSUE SST PURE S400
SCOTTY CAMERON NEWPORT 2.5

Comments

• theothertwotheothertwo Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭

Suggest watching some Ben Crenshaw putting video lessons.

Honma TW 727 455s 10.5* Driver
    Honma TW 727 18* 5 Wood
    Honma TW 727 22* Hybrid
    Miura CB 57 4-PW Irons
    Miura Tour 2018 52 and 58 Wedges
    Wilson 8802 Milled Putter
  • ZitlowZitlow Members Posts: 157 ✭✭
    edited Apr 12, 2019 7:36pm #3

"Worlds Worst Putter" speaks volumes.

• GSDriverGSDriver Members Posts: 597 ✭✭

Sounds like the WISEman and I share the same problem. If I could putt I'd be dangerous. Only solution I've found is to hit it closer to the hole, though I will admit I missed an 18" birdie couple weeks back....putted it two more times before leaving the green, still missed the second, third try was the charm.

Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • theWISEmantheWISEman Legend in my own mind... TexasClubWRX Posts: 160 ClubWRX

@GSDriver said:
    Sounds like the WISEman and I share the same problem. If I could putt I'd be dangerous. Only solution I've found is to hit it closer to the hole, though I will admit I missed an 18" birdie couple weeks back....putted it two more times before leaving the green, still missed the second, third try was the charm.

It's the most frustrating part of the game for me. At this point, I can three putt from 12 feet. I missed 3 birdie putts from inside 5 feet today!

• BigEx44BigEx44 Members Posts: 269 ✭✭

Sidesaddle putting. Took me from 38+ putts a round to under 32.

• jc4birdiejc4birdie Members Posts: 14 ✭✭

You are NOT the world’s worst putter; that would be ME, and it’s not close. Proof? In the last 8 days, I’ve played 45 holes of golf....39, 41, 41, 43, and 46 being the 5 9s, aggregate scores. 28 GIR....I’ve 3 putted 14 times (and those weren’t all on the GIR!). I’m truly ready to don an anvil around my midsection and drown myself in the deep end of my pool. It’s ridiculous....when I was hitting 5 GIR I nearly NEVER 3-putted. I have ZERO idea what is wrong, nor obviously what to fix, much less how. Speed? FUBAR. Line? FUBAR. Reading a Green effectively? Not a chance.

I simply want to beat a dog or something. And I love animals. Shaking in frustration as I write this.

I hate golf.

• tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,386 ✭✭

How serious are you about improving? How open minded are you?

If you're willing to try something totally different, this REALLY works ... I was close to quitting before I started using it.

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Putting-Trevillions-Method-Perfect-ebook/dp/B07DQTQRFG/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Paul+trevillion+golf&qid=1555120894&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spell

Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Sun Mountain Swift X
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 712 ✭✭

It took me a good year of fixing my stroke/path, grip, and doing speed drills on the practice green, etc. I also got my putter fitted to me (length and lie angle). I’m much better than I was, though I still have a long way to go.

Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • GSDriverGSDriver Members Posts: 597 ✭✭

@theWISEman said:

@GSDriver said:

It's the most frustrating part of the game for me. At this point, I can three putt from 12 feet. I missed 3 birdie putts from inside 5 feet today!

It's a struggle, feel for you, as I do the same...then there are days when I don't 3 wiggle and score pretty well.
    Just try to take it one shot at a time, it'll get better, as at least I haven't 4 putted in a while. LOL - yes, I've 4 putted a few times this year.

Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,338 ClubWRX

Why not start with getting fit for a putter so you know you have the proper equipment. Then, take a lesson or two and see what a professional suggests and of course, practice.

• JAMH03JAMH03 Members Posts: 446 ✭✭

What kind of help do you want? What would make you feel good or happy with your results @theWISEman ?

Comparisons are odious.

@JAMH03 said:
    What kind of help do you want? What would make you feel good or happy with your results @theWISEman ?

I feel as if all parts of my game are in a really good spot right now, I just can’t seem to wrap my head around my putting stroke. I use to be a decent putter, but it seems as if lately I have a sort of mental block with my putting. I’ve taken a few putting lessons before, and I’ve gone through the lessons and drills provided by the pros, to no avail. Right now I’m really focusing my efforts on set up and alignment, as I am having a hard time reading the proper break since I also am struggling with my speed. Just don’t feel comfortable with anything.

I’m playing to a 6.7 handicap if that helps any with where I should be as far as putting performance. My last two round I’ve hit 11 and 12 GIR and had 38 and 41 putts.

Any mental insight would be great!

• JAMH03JAMH03 Members Posts: 446 ✭✭

@theWISEman That's good stuff & really helps. At my best I was about the same cap & GIR, so I have an idea of how the pieces fit together. As always you and I both know I have no idea whats really going on. The way 2 get better is to MEASURE where your at and then make the needed changes. But we both know that you KNOW how to putt or at least what to work on, from your lessons. Also good bet that your speed not good, short putts shaky as well. Makable putts I have no idea? It could be that you have conflicting errors, path, aim, alingment. So that you get bad feedback on your makes & misses (probable) but that's not the problem in my humble opinion. The problem is the govenor you've put on yourself. For some reason you won't do your best? I think it's because you're afraid. Not judging you nor challenging you, just my guess from the info & presentation. I think when you take that on then you can take care of the pesky details, you are already really good a lot of people dream of being like you as a golfer maybe be brave enough to love yourself a little bit better after you give your all & come up short? How is that for a drill? LOL! P.S. you dont have to answer this.

Comparisons are odious.

• thed0nthed0n Members Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited Apr 14, 2019 6:27am #15

I feel your pain. Putting is the worst part of my game. I've taken lessons, worked on path, watch videos, drills, etc., etc., you name it... all this does is cloud your head more. Chances are, there's nothing wrong with your stroke.

Out of fustration, I recently purchased Putting Out of Your Mind by Dr. Bob Rotella, in audio book format. Over the past 3 months, I've listened to it on average 3 times a week or so. It's definitely improved my confidence, and shaved 2 putting strokes a around, hovering around 36 per round now with 1-2 three putts. It's still a work in progress but I feel like I'm on the right track and will continue to improve. For me, I just had to focus on the mental aspects of putting for awhile, leave the technical stuff behind.

One big tip I got from the book is that I focus on making every putt, no matter the distance (it's just a mental thing). Also, I practice putting mostly from distances I can make, 3-6 feet. Dr. Rotella is right, you build confidence in putting by seeing your putts fall into the cup. The times that I do practice distance control, I putt from various distances to the edge of the green.

Seriously, the audio book is like $12 on Amazon and is about an hour long. From everything I'm reading, this book is exactly what you need. You have nothing to lose.

WITB-
    Ping G400 Max *9 w/ Aldila X-Torsion Copper Stiff
    Callaway Rogue Hybrid *17 w/ Aldila Tour Green ATX Stiff
    Adams XTD Ti *19 w/ Matrix Ozik Red Tie HQ3 Stiff
    Adams DHy *21 w/ Matrix Ozik Red Tie HQ3 Stiff
    Callaway Apex Forged CF 16 5-PW w/ TT XP95 Stiff
    Mizuno S5 *52.08 and *56.14 w/ TT Dynamic Gold
    Callaway PM Grind *60.10 w/ KBS Tour V
    Odyssey #7 WHP w/ P2 Aware Tour

@JAMH03 said:
    @theWISEman That's good stuff & really helps. At my best I was about the same cap & GIR, so I have an idea of how the pieces fit together. As always you and I both know I have no idea whats really going on. The way 2 get better is to MEASURE where your at and then make the needed changes. But we both know that you KNOW how to putt or at least what to work on, from your lessons. Also good bet that your speed not good, short putts shaky as well. Makable putts I have no idea? It could be that you have conflicting errors, path, aim, alingment. So that you get bad feedback on your makes & misses (probable) but that's not the problem in my humble opinion. The problem is the govenor you've put on yourself. For some reason you won't do your best? I think it's because you're afraid. Not judging you nor challenging you, just my guess from the info & presentation. I think when you take that on then you can take care of the pesky details, you are already really good a lot of people dream of being like you as a golfer maybe be brave enough to love yourself a little bit better after you give your all & come up short? How is that for a drill? LOL! P.S. you dont have to answer this.

Wow, thank you for taking the time to write this. You're right about being over critical of myself... me and the guys I play with make running jokes about how I can three-putt from anywhere! Definitely something I'm planning on working on going forward. Thank you!

@thed0n said:
    I feel your pain. Putting is the worst part of my game. I've taken lessons, worked on path, watch videos, drills, etc., etc., you name it... all this does is cloud your head more. Chances are, there's nothing wrong with your stroke.

Out of fustration, I recently purchased Putting Out of Your Mind by Dr. Bob Rotella, in audio book format. Over the past 3 months, I've listened to it on average 3 times a week or so. It's definitely improved my confidence, and shaved 2 putting strokes a around, hovering around 36 per round now with 1-2 three putts. It's still a work in progress but I feel like I'm on the right track and will continue to improve. For me, I just had to focus on the mental aspects of putting for awhile, leave the technical stuff behind.

One big tip I got from the book is that I focus on making every putt, no matter the distance (it's just a mental thing). Also, I practice putting mostly from distances I can make, 3-6 feet. Dr. Rotella is right, you build confidence in putting by seeing your putts fall into the cup. The times that I do practice distance control, I putt from various distances to the edge of the green.

Seriously, the audio book is like $12 on Amazon and is about an hour long. From everything I'm reading, this book is exactly what you need. You have nothing to lose.

I'll purchase it. Thank you! Definitely need to just work on feel and get the thoughts out of my head lol!

• hacker49hacker49 Members Posts: 483 ✭✭

I can sympathize with you. While I am nowhere near your handicap I also struggle with my putting, making several 3 putts a round. The only thing I can suggest is to get with your instructor and find out what he sees.

Do you feel like your putting issues are more due to not being able to read the greens properly or a stroke/fitting issue? I know I really struggle with reading greens but have other things going on as well.

• naval2006naval2006 ArgentinaMembers Posts: 968 ✭✭

Doc Rotellas Putting Out of Your Mind has changed and simplified my putting to great extents. If you have determination to become a decent player on the green this little book works miracles. The same putter for many years now combined with this method have made me felt like the worlds best putter ever.

• jut111jut111 Members Posts: 1,624 ✭✭

Learn to roll a line on the ball end over end. Then learn to get out of your own way and treat putting as more art then science.

• dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,128 ✭✭

@jut111 said:
    Learn to roll a line on the ball end over end. Then learn to get out of your own way and treat putting as more art then science.

Visualize the putt
    Pick your starting line
    Roll the ball on that line.
    Keep your **** head still

That’s all I think about and I probably average less than one 3 putt per round.

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

@hacker49 said:
    I can sympathize with you. While I am nowhere near your handicap I also struggle with my putting, making several 3 putts a round. The only thing I can suggest is to get with your instructor and find out what he sees.

Do you feel like your putting issues are more due to not being able to read the greens properly or a stroke/fitting issue? I know I really struggle with reading greens but have other things going on as well.

I feel like my stoke is good. My rhythm and ability to hit the center of the face is ok. I just can't seem to be able to read the putts very well and when I do my speed is off and I blow it 6 feet by, which leads to a three putt I've become accustomed to.

@naval2006 said:
    Doc Rotellas Putting Out of Your Mind has changed and simplified my putting to great extents. If you have determination to become a decent player on the green this little book works miracles. The same putter for many years now combined with this method have made me felt like the worlds best putter ever.

Thank you! I will grab it!
    I started putting with my spider a few months ago, coming from a Newport 2, and I am really trying to commit to the putter and feel like I can only measure if my putting is getting better if I continue to use the same putter for a prolonged period of time.

• buzzthecatbuzzthecat OHMembers Posts: 52 ✭✭

Practice five-footers again, and again, and again. You'll be able to get up an down from almost anywhere and you'll rarely three-putt. I'll putt from longer distances to warm up and gauge green speeds, but when I'm actively trying to practice putting, it's all five-footers.

• Under2hoursUnder2hours Members Posts: 1,394 ✭✭

I sympathize with you, but can give you a run for your money....... My partners all joke to new golfers to our group not to watch me putt as it is "hazardous"..... No such thing as a gimme (though I take them).

Every once in a while it comes together and think I have figured it out, until the next time..... Luckily am a member of a club and there's always tomorrow.

• North TexasNorth Texas Members Posts: 4,117 ✭✭

@Zitlow said:

This a million times over! What you describe has nothing to do with technique or equipment.

Good grief, what do you expect when you call yourself the world's worst putter? So first thing, STOP CALLING YOURSELF THE WORLD'S WORST PUTTER!!!! Never, ever do that again! Second, do what thed0n says he does in his post above. Focus on making every putt no matter how far it is! Tell yourself you are going to make every putt you stand over and keep doing that and keep doing that.

You will be shocked at what happens over time if you do this and don't waver.

• dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,128 ✭✭

@buzzthecat said:
    Practice five-footers again, and again, and again. You'll be able to get up an down from almost anywhere and you'll rarely three-putt. I'll putt from longer distances to warm up and gauge green speeds, but wrehen I'm actively trying to practice putting, it's all five-footers.

I agree with this 100%. I have one of those roll up putting mats in my basement, I practice hitting 5-6 footers while I am watching golf etc. If you can learn to drill 20 of those in a row it sure takes pressure off of the rest of your game. I often visualize hitting a putt on that mat when on the course. Every putt is a straight putt right? At least the starting line is, gravity just takes over at some point.

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members Posts: 496 ✭✭

@North Texas said:

@Zitlow said:

This a million times over! What you describe has nothing to do with technique or equipment.

Good grief, what do you expect when you call yourself the world's worst putter? So first thing, STOP CALLING YOURSELF THE WORLD'S WORST PUTTER!!!! Never, ever do that again! Second, do what thed0n says he does in his post above. Focus on making every putt no matter how far it is! Tell yourself you are going to make every putt you stand over and keep doing that and keep doing that.

I couldn't possibly agree more with North Texas. Golf is a game of confidence. What could you possibly gain by convincing yourself you can't putt, hit irons, drive, etc? There are plenty of other people standing in line for a chance to criticize you; don't be one of them.

• North TexasNorth Texas Members Posts: 4,117 ✭✭
    edited Apr 16, 2019 2:08pm #29

@Birdie Mac said:

@North Texas said:

@Zitlow said:

I couldn't possibly agree more with North Texas. Golf is a game of confidence. What could you possibly gain by convincing yourself you can't putt, hit irons, drive, etc? There are plenty of other people standing in line for a chance to criticize you; don't be one of them.

Absolutely and here's an example of what I'm talking about. Wife (a high single digit handicap) and I are playing the other day and she has a 80 yard shot over water. During her pre-shot routine, she says "I'll probably chunk this in the water" and then proceeds to do exactly that and gets mad about it.

I mean, come on people, what the **** do you expect when you say stuff like this? And I don't even need some book to tell me that. Jeez, people!

• sixfootnicksixfootnick Members Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited Apr 16, 2019 2:31pm #30

Here's how I'm working on it.
    1. Take video of my stroke to make sure it is basically on plane and not looping.
    2. Focus only on strike, not distance or line. I need to feel like the strike is solid or nothing will ever improve. This is probably really obvious, but not talked about enough. I used to change my strike to help me control distance - my stroke was bad so I always had to swing too hard, so I'd subconsciously mis-strike the putt to take some speed off. Took me a while to figure out.
    3. Now I can worry about things like distance control, reading greens and starting on line.

I'm going to spend this year not worrying about making putts, only that I hit the ball solidly and with confidence.

• GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Members Posts: 1,002 ✭✭

You ever try the lag putting drill where you are putting to one distance, then slightly less, then slightly less? It really helped with my speed control. Also, I know you feel like your putting stroke is good, just make sure of it by setting up the string on the putting green knowing that you are really hitting it where you are aiming. Get one of those putter measurement devices (I have blastmotion golf) where it can measure your tempo. Help you smooth out your takeaway and delivery.

TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file