Zach Johnson - no penalty

 Roadking2003 ·  
Roadking2003Roadking2003 Austin 6641WRX Points: 1,118Handicap: 8.7Members Posts: 6,641 Titanium Tees
Joined:  in Rules of Golf and Etiquette #1

On 13 tee he hit his ball on his practice swing. No penalty and he got to re-tee.
Is that covered by the new "no penalty if accidentally moving your ball" rule?

Posted:
«1
2

Comments

  • Matt JMatt J  8735WRX Points: 337Members Posts: 8,735 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Apr 12, 2019 #2

    always been like that if you have no intent to make a stroke from the teeing ground

    Tried to post a link from my phone about 5 times but the usga site is junk

    https://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=69&Rule=18

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • rogolfrogolf  4268WRX Points: 531Members Posts: 4,268 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #3

    On the teeing area, wasn't a penalty last year and still isn't this year. Ball is not in play in the teeing area until the first stroke has been made at it (stroke is defined as the forward movement of the club to strike the ball (implies intent to do so).

    Posted:
  • bigmoneypbigmoneyp Michigan 3440WRX Points: 256Members Posts: 3,440 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #4
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 Austin 6641WRX Points: 1,118Handicap: 8.7Members Posts: 6,641 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #5

    Thanks.

    No penalty until he gets into the locker room.......I'm sure he will hear about it from the other players.

    Posted:
  • Mr. BeanMr. Bean  4776WRX Points: 451Handicap: 3,8Members Posts: 4,776 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #6

    Why would he hear about it? Nothing extraordinary there.

    Posted:
  • Mr. BeanMr. Bean  4776WRX Points: 451Handicap: 3,8Members Posts: 4,776 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Apr 13, 2019 #7

    On -, @Matt J said:

    always been like that if you have no intent to make a stroke from the teeing ground

    Tried to post a link from my phone about 5 times but the usga site is junk

    https://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=69&Rule=18

    It is dangerous to refer to old Decisions as they are no longer in force. Many if not most of them still align with current Rules but not all of them so I would not use them publicly as a guideline.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG  2377WRX Points: 664Members Posts: 2,377 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #8

    On -, @Mr. Bean said:

    Why would he hear about it? Nothing extraordinary there.

    Oh, he will hear about it.

    Probably the funniest thing I've ever seen at The Masters.

    Posted:
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • SocratesSocrates Warning Points 1+ Winnipeg 9915WRX Points: 901Handicap: 4ishClubWRX Posts: 9,915 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #9

    On -, @BrianMcG said:

    On -, @Mr. Bean said:

    Why would he hear about it? Nothing extraordinary there.

    Oh, he will hear about it.

    Probably the funniest thing I've ever seen at The Masters.

    One of the funniest things I’ve seen from a Tour Pro. Kinda thing you see at your local muni from a 24 hcp. Wonder if anyone asked him if he got all of that one?

    Posted:
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
    MCC Align Midsize

  • SawgrassSawgrass  15768WRX Points: 1,073Members Posts: 15,768 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #10

    Headline: Even Kevin Na laughs at Zach Johnson regarding his Teeing Area pre-stroke skills.

    Posted:
  • HitEmTrueHitEmTrue North Texas 6790WRX Points: 582Members Posts: 6,790 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Apr 13, 2019 #11

    On -, @Mr. Bean said:

    Why would he hear about it? Nothing extraordinary there.

    I’ve never seen a pro do that. Or any decent golfer. Bumping it off the tee is one thing...but hitting it with a practice swing?

    Posted:
  • Mr. BeanMr. Bean  4776WRX Points: 451Handicap: 3,8Members Posts: 4,776 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #12

    On -, @HitEmTrue said:

    On -, @Mr. Bean said:

    Why would he hear about it? Nothing extraordinary there.

    I’ve never seen a pro do that. Or any decent golfer. Bumping it off the tee is one thing...but hitting it with a practice swing?

    I have and not only once. I feel sorry for having seen that as nobody else seems to not have seen it. I apologize.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • HitEmTrueHitEmTrue North Texas 6790WRX Points: 582Members Posts: 6,790 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #13

    On -, @Mr. Bean fair enough....no need to apologize. I need to play more golf to increase my chances of seeing it!
    Posted:
  • SkullerSkuller  48WRX Points: 69Members Posts: 48 Bunkers
    Joined:  edited Apr 13, 2019 #14

    I noticed that Zack likes to make his practice swings without moving his feet away from where he's actually going to address the ball. How are you supposed to to know for sure if he's not going to hit his ball when his feet do not change position. Technically he's addressing the ball since he's not changing his position of feet when he goes to actually hit the ball. I'm not surprised that he's hit this ball during his so-called practice swing, I'm actually surprised he hasn't hit it other times.

    Posted:
  • KevCarterKevCarter Wisconsin 12925WRX Points: 467ClubWRX Posts: 12,925 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #15

    On -, @Skuller said:

    I noticed that Zack likes to make his practice swings without moving his feet away from where he's actually going to address the ball. How are you supposed to to know for sure if he's not going to hit his ball when his feet do not change position. Technically he's addressing the ball since he's not changing his position of feet when he goes to actually hit the ball. I'm not surprised that he's hit this ball during his so-called practice swing, I'm actually surprised he hasn't hit it other times.

    "So-called practice swing?"
    It's not obvious to you?

    Posted:
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
  • NewbyNewby  7646WRX Points: 596Members Posts: 7,646 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Apr 13, 2019 #16

    On -, @Skuller said:

    Technically he's addressing the ball since he's not changing his position of feet when he goes to actually hit the ball. I'm not surprised that he's hit this ball during his so-called practice swing, I'm actually surprised he hasn't hit it other times.

    Technically 'addressing' is not defined in the Rules.
    Previously the definition of 'addressing the ball' did not include stance..

    Posted:
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99  4660WRX Points: 558Members Posts: 4,660 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #17

    On -, @Skuller said:

    I noticed that Zack likes to make his practice swings without moving his feet away from where he's actually going to address the ball. How are you supposed to to know for sure if he's not going to hit his ball when his feet do not change position. Technically he's addressing the ball since he's not changing his position of feet when he goes to actually hit the ball. I'm not surprised that he's hit this ball during his so-called practice swing, I'm actually surprised he hasn't hit it other times.

    It's golf. You don't need to know. The player needs to know their intention. Just like a whiff vs a practice swing.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • AugsterAugster  4592WRX Points: 527Members Posts: 4,592 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #18

    On -, @Skuller said:

    I noticed that Zack likes to make his practice swings without moving his feet away from where he's actually going to address the ball. How are you supposed to to know for sure if he's not going to hit his ball when his feet do not change position. Technically he's addressing the ball since he's not changing his position of feet when he goes to actually hit the ball. I'm not surprised that he's hit this ball during his so-called practice swing, I'm actually surprised he hasn't hit it other times.

    “So-called”?

    I knew it was a practice swing when it didn’t hit the dead center of the club. These guys play off +6.

    Posted:
  • SkullerSkuller  48WRX Points: 69Members Posts: 48 Bunkers
    Joined:  #19

    On -, @Augster said:

    On -, @Skuller said:

    I noticed that Zack likes to make his practice swings without moving his feet away from where he's actually going to address the ball. How are you supposed to to know for sure if he's not going to hit his ball when his feet do not change position. Technically he's addressing the ball since he's not changing his position of feet when he goes to actually hit the ball. I'm not surprised that he's hit this ball during his so-called practice swing, I'm actually surprised he hasn't hit it other times.

    “So-called”?

    I knew it was a practice swing when it didn’t hit the dead center of the club. These guys play off +6.

    Well if you don't change your foot position after practice,how are you supposed to tell when he is or isn't addressing the ball officially?

    Posted:
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX  8953WRX Points: 307Handicap: lowClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,953 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #20

    I've never understood why players (from pros to high handicappers) take practice swings and practice putting strokes so close to the ball.

    Posted:
    PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Callaway 815 Alpha 20* - Aldila Phenom 100X
    Callaway 2013 X-Forged 4-PW - KBS $ Taper 120
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 60 - DGTI S400
    Toulon Garage San Diego
    Snell Black
  • KevCarterKevCarter Wisconsin 12925WRX Points: 467ClubWRX Posts: 12,925 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #21

    On -, @Skuller said:

    On -, @Augster said:

    On -, @Skuller said:

    I noticed that Zack likes to make his practice swings without moving his feet away from where he's actually going to address the ball. How are you supposed to to know for sure if he's not going to hit his ball when his feet do not change position. Technically he's addressing the ball since he's not changing his position of feet when he goes to actually hit the ball. I'm not surprised that he's hit this ball during his so-called practice swing, I'm actually surprised he hasn't hit it other times.

    “So-called”?

    I knew it was a practice swing when it didn’t hit the dead center of the club. These guys play off +6.

    Well if you don't change your foot position after practice,how are you supposed to tell when he is or isn't addressing the ball officially?

    "Addressing the ball officially" has nothing to do with making a stroke. It's all about intent, and clearly there was none...

    Stroke

    The forward movement of the club made to strike the ball.

    But a stroke has not been made if the player:

    Decides during the downswing not to strike the ball and avoids doing so by deliberately stopping the clubhead before it reaches the ball or, if unable to stop, by deliberately missing the ball.

    Accidentally strikes the ball when making a practice swing or while preparing to make a stroke.

    When the Rules refer to “playing a ball,” it means the same as making a stroke.

    The player’s score for a hole or a round is described as a number of “strokes” or “strokes taken”, which means both all strokes made and any penalty strokes (see Rule 3.1c).

    Posted:
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user Florida 6634WRX Points: 1,079Handicap: 8.6Members Posts: 6,634 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #22

    On -, @Hot Rod 71 said:

    I've never understood why players (from pros to high handicappers) take practice swings and practice putting strokes so close to the ball.

    It's funny. Many years ago I used to stand very close to the ball taking a practice putting stroke before resetting for the actual stroke and once, just once, I accidentally grazed the ball and paid the price. NEVER again. And now it's NOT a penalty, correct ?

    Speaking of Zach Johnson taking a practice driving stroke while standing "exactly" where he does when he DOES hit the ball reminds me of Dustin Johnson's practice putting stroke. He does the same as Zack, only with the putter. He places his feet, takes a practice stroke without hitting the ball then places the putter behind the ball and makes the stroke. I forget but he might "inch" his feet slightly towards the ball but nowhere near the same distance as the putter moves from practice stroke to actual.

    Can't quite figure out how that's a great way of making a practice stroke.

    Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Spider-X Copper (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Mr. BeanMr. Bean  4776WRX Points: 451Handicap: 3,8Members Posts: 4,776 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #23

    On -, @nsxguy said:

    Can't quite figure out how that's a great way of making a practice stroke.

    Well, maybe because it is not a practice stroke but a practice swing...

    Posted:
  • NewbyNewby  7646WRX Points: 596Members Posts: 7,646 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Apr 14, 2019 #24

    On -, @nsxguy said:

    On -, @Hot Rod 71 said:

    I've never understood why players (from pros to high handicappers) take practice swings and practice putting strokes so close to the ball.

    It's funny. Many years ago I used to stand very close to the ball taking a practice putting stroke before resetting for the actual stroke and once, just once, I accidentally grazed the ball and paid the price. NEVER again. And now it's NOT a penalty, correct ?

    Correct

    Posted:
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user Florida 6634WRX Points: 1,079Handicap: 8.6Members Posts: 6,634 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #25

    On -, @Mr. Bean said:

    On -, @nsxguy said:

    Can't quite figure out how that's a great way of making a practice stroke.

    Well, maybe because it is not a practice stroke but a practice swing...

    Except that my statement wasn't "Rules-wise" but "description-wise" so practice "stroke" describes it just as well.

    But thanks anyway,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

    Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Spider-X Copper (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

  • Colin LColin L  2400WRX Points: 366Handicap: 16.5Members Posts: 2,400 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #26

    On -, @nsxguy said:

    On -, @Mr. Bean said:

    On -, @nsxguy said:

    Can't quite figure out how that's a great way of making a practice stroke.

    Well, maybe because it is not a practice stroke but a practice swing...

    Except that my statement wasn't "Rules-wise" but "description-wise" so practice "stroke" describes it just as well.

    But thanks anyway,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

    No it doesn't. It describes something different.

    Posted:
  • NewbyNewby  7646WRX Points: 596Members Posts: 7,646 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #27

    .

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 Austin 6641WRX Points: 1,118Handicap: 8.7Members Posts: 6,641 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #28

    On -, @nsxguy said:

    It's funny. Many years ago I used to stand very close to the ball taking a practice putting stroke before resetting for the actual stroke and once, just once, I accidentally grazed the ball and paid the price. NEVER again. And now it's NOT a penalty, correct ?

    I think that happened to Davis Love at TPC Sawgrass many years ago. And then I believe he failed to put the ball back, so got another penalty.

    Posted:
  • mwmgolfxmwmgolfx  455WRX Points: 60Handicap: 6Members Posts: 455 Greens
    Joined:  #29

    How do you tell this isn't a setup type of thing where if the caddy is behind him that he automatically incurs a penalty because his caddy is there when he first takes a stance, even if he isn't intending to hit the ball with that setup and swing why isn't he penalized. Is it because its on the tee only.

    Posted:
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99  4660WRX Points: 558Members Posts: 4,660 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #30

    On -, @mwmgolfx said:

    How do you tell this isn't a setup type of thing where if the caddy is behind him that he automatically incurs a penalty because his caddy is there when he first takes a stance, even if he isn't intending to hit the ball with that setup and swing why isn't he penalized. Is it because its on the tee only.

    That's only for putting. You can just reset to avoid the penalty off the green.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user Florida 6634WRX Points: 1,079Handicap: 8.6Members Posts: 6,634 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #31

    On -, @Colin L said:

    On -, @nsxguy said:

    On -, @Mr. Bean said:

    On -, @nsxguy said:

    Can't quite figure out how that's a great way of making a practice stroke.

    Well, maybe because it is not a practice stroke but a practice swing...

    Except that my statement wasn't "Rules-wise" but "description-wise" so practice "stroke" describes it just as well.

    But thanks anyway,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

    No it doesn't. It describes something different.

    We shall agree to disagree.

    Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Spider-X Copper (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

2

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.