Zach Johnson - no penalty

Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,056 ✭✭

On 13 tee he hit his ball on his practice swing. No penalty and he got to re-tee.
Is that covered by the new "no penalty if accidentally moving your ball" rule?

Comments

• Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,652 ✭✭
    edited Apr 12, 2019 11:33pm #2

always been like that if you have no intent to make a stroke from the teeing ground

Tried to post a link from my phone about 5 times but the usga site is junk

https://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=69&Rule=18

• rogolfrogolf Members Posts: 3,651 ✭✭

On the teeing area, wasn't a penalty last year and still isn't this year. Ball is not in play in the teeing area until the first stroke has been made at it (stroke is defined as the forward movement of the club to strike the ball (implies intent to do so).

• bigmoneypbigmoneyp MichiganMembers Posts: 3,223 ✭✭
    Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep 14.5*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 19*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 22*
    Maltby DBM 4-PW w. PX LZ 6.0
    Taylormade Milled Grind 52* (bent to 50)
    Taylormade Milled Grind 58*
    Taylormade TP Mullen
    Callaway Hex Tour Soft
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,056 ✭✭

Thanks.

No penalty until he gets into the locker room.......I'm sure he will hear about it from the other players.

• Mr. BeanMr. Bean Members Posts: 3,801 ✭✭

Why would he hear about it? Nothing extraordinary there.

edited Apr 13, 2019 10:16am #7

@Matt J said:
    always been like that if you have no intent to make a stroke from the teeing ground

Tried to post a link from my phone about 5 times but the usga site is junk

https://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=69&Rule=18

It is dangerous to refer to old Decisions as they are no longer in force. Many if not most of them still align with current Rules but not all of them so I would not use them publicly as a guideline.

• BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,219 ✭✭

@Mr. Bean said:

Oh, he will hear about it.

Probably the funniest thing I've ever seen at The Masters.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,166 ClubWRX

@BrianMcG said:

@Mr. Bean said:

Oh, he will hear about it.

Probably the funniest thing I've ever seen at The Masters.

One of the funniest things I’ve seen from a Tour Pro. Kinda thing you see at your local muni from a 24 hcp. Wonder if anyone asked him if he got all of that one?

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    MCC Align Midsize
  • SawgrassSawgrass Members Posts: 14,851 ✭✭

Headline: Even Kevin Na laughs at Zach Johnson regarding his Teeing Area pre-stroke skills.

• HitEmTrueHitEmTrue North TexasMembers Posts: 6,281 ✭✭
    edited Apr 13, 2019 3:35pm #11

@Mr. Bean said:

I’ve never seen a pro do that. Or any decent golfer. Bumping it off the tee is one thing...but hitting it with a practice swing?

@HitEmTrue said:

@Mr. Bean said:

I’ve never seen a pro do that. Or any decent golfer. Bumping it off the tee is one thing...but hitting it with a practice swing?

I have and not only once. I feel sorry for having seen that as nobody else seems to not have seen it. I apologize.

• HitEmTrueHitEmTrue North TexasMembers Posts: 6,281 ✭✭

@Mr. Bean fair enough....no need to apologize. I need to play more golf to increase my chances of seeing it!

• SkullerSkuller Members Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited Apr 13, 2019 5:53pm #14

I noticed that Zack likes to make his practice swings without moving his feet away from where he's actually going to address the ball. How are you supposed to to know for sure if he's not going to hit his ball when his feet do not change position. Technically he's addressing the ball since he's not changing his position of feet when he goes to actually hit the ball. I'm not surprised that he's hit this ball during his so-called practice swing, I'm actually surprised he hasn't hit it other times.

• turtlekcturtlekc 1995 MN PGA WisconsinClubWRX Posts: 12,779 ClubWRX

@Skuller said:
    I noticed that Zack likes to make his practice swings without moving his feet away from where he's actually going to address the ball. How are you supposed to to know for sure if he's not going to hit his ball when his feet do not change position. Technically he's addressing the ball since he's not changing his position of feet when he goes to actually hit the ball. I'm not surprised that he's hit this ball during his so-called practice swing, I'm actually surprised he hasn't hit it other times.

"So-called practice swing?"
    It's not obvious to you?

I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
  • NewbyNewby Members Posts: 6,423 ✭✭
    edited Apr 13, 2019 10:15pm #16

@Skuller said:
    Technically he's addressing the ball since he's not changing his position of feet when he goes to actually hit the ball. I'm not surprised that he's hit this ball during his so-called practice swing, I'm actually surprised he hasn't hit it other times.

Technically 'addressing' is not defined in the Rules.
    Previously the definition of 'addressing the ball' did not include stance..

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 3,925 ✭✭

@Skuller said:

It's golf. You don't need to know. The player needs to know their intention. Just like a whiff vs a practice swing.

• AugsterAugster Members Posts: 4,122 ✭✭

@Skuller said:

“So-called”?

I knew it was a practice swing when it didn’t hit the dead center of the club. These guys play off +6.

• SkullerSkuller Members Posts: 48 ✭✭

@Augster said:

@Skuller said:

“So-called”?

I knew it was a practice swing when it didn’t hit the dead center of the club. These guys play off +6.

Well if you don't change your foot position after practice,how are you supposed to tell when he is or isn't addressing the ball officially?

• Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,840 ClubWRX

I've never understood why players (from pros to high handicappers) take practice swings and practice putting strokes so close to the ball.

PING G400 LS 9* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Titleist T-MB 3 Iron - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour Spec
    Srixon 785 4-P - Nippon Pro Modus 120
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Yes! Jenny Tour
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • turtlekcturtlekc 1995 MN PGA WisconsinClubWRX Posts: 12,779 ClubWRX

@Skuller said:

@Augster said:

@Skuller said:

“So-called”?

Well if you don't change your foot position after practice,how are you supposed to tell when he is or isn't addressing the ball officially?

"Addressing the ball officially" has nothing to do with making a stroke. It's all about intent, and clearly there was none...

Stroke

The forward movement of the club made to strike the ball.

But a stroke has not been made if the player:

Decides during the downswing not to strike the ball and avoids doing so by deliberately stopping the clubhead before it reaches the ball or, if unable to stop, by deliberately missing the ball.

Accidentally strikes the ball when making a practice swing or while preparing to make a stroke.

When the Rules refer to “playing a ball,” it means the same as making a stroke.

The player’s score for a hole or a round is described as a number of “strokes” or “strokes taken”, which means both all strokes made and any penalty strokes (see Rule 3.1c).

I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,274 ✭✭

@Hot Rod 71 said:
    I've never understood why players (from pros to high handicappers) take practice swings and practice putting strokes so close to the ball.

It's funny. Many years ago I used to stand very close to the ball taking a practice putting stroke before resetting for the actual stroke and once, just once, I accidentally grazed the ball and paid the price. NEVER again. And now it's NOT a penalty, correct ?

Speaking of Zach Johnson taking a practice driving stroke while standing "exactly" where he does when he DOES hit the ball reminds me of Dustin Johnson's practice putting stroke. He does the same as Zack, only with the putter. He places his feet, takes a practice stroke without hitting the ball then places the putter behind the ball and makes the stroke. I forget but he might "inch" his feet slightly towards the ball but nowhere near the same distance as the putter moves from practice stroke to actual.

Can't quite figure out how that's a great way of making a practice stroke.

ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
    Titleist AVX

@nsxguy said:

Well, maybe because it is not a practice stroke but a practice swing...

edited Apr 14, 2019 7:47pm #24

@nsxguy said:

@Hot Rod 71 said:

It's funny. Many years ago I used to stand very close to the ball taking a practice putting stroke before resetting for the actual stroke and once, just once, I accidentally grazed the ball and paid the price. NEVER again. And now it's NOT a penalty, correct ?

Correct

@Mr. Bean said:

@nsxguy said:

Except that my statement wasn't "Rules-wise" but "description-wise" so practice "stroke" describes it just as well.

But thanks anyway,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

Titleist AVX
  • Colin LColin L Members Posts: 1,972 ✭✭

@nsxguy said:

@Mr. Bean said:

@nsxguy said:

Except that my statement wasn't "Rules-wise" but "description-wise" so practice "stroke" describes it just as well.

No it doesn't. It describes something different.

• Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,056 ✭✭

@nsxguy said:

I think that happened to Davis Love at TPC Sawgrass many years ago. And then I believe he failed to put the ball back, so got another penalty.

• mwmgolfxmwmgolfx Posts: 449 ✭✭

How do you tell this isn't a setup type of thing where if the caddy is behind him that he automatically incurs a penalty because his caddy is there when he first takes a stance, even if he isn't intending to hit the ball with that setup and swing why isn't he penalized. Is it because its on the tee only.

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 3,925 ✭✭

@mwmgolfx said:
    How do you tell this isn't a setup type of thing where if the caddy is behind him that he automatically incurs a penalty because his caddy is there when he first takes a stance, even if he isn't intending to hit the ball with that setup and swing why isn't he penalized. Is it because its on the tee only.

That's only for putting. You can just reset to avoid the penalty off the green.

@Colin L said:

@nsxguy said:

@Mr. Bean said:

@nsxguy said:

No it doesn't. It describes something different.

We shall agree to disagree.

Titleist AVX