AVX vs. Prestige

mitts7mitts7 Members Posts: 42 ✭✭

Hi Guys, I have seen some stuff on here about how the Titleist Prestige (Japan only???) is the same thing as the AVX. Is that actually a true statement? Is the AVX the same exact ball just branded differently?

Comments

• Awesomeguy887Awesomeguy887 Members Posts: 623 ✭✭

I don’t think so. The prestige I played were three piece surlyn. Unless they’re different versions of that ball.

Ping G30 SFT 12
    Ping G5 3W
    Ping G Crossover 4
    Ping G15 4 - U
    Vokey SM6 56.14, 60.04
    Odyssey White Hot XG #7
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,005 ✭✭
    edited Apr 13, 2019 10:38pm #3

@mitts7 said:
    Hi Guys, I have seen some stuff on here about how the Titleist Prestige (Japan only???) is the same thing as the AVX. Is that actually a true statement? Is the AVX the same exact ball just branded differently?

Very similar if not the same ball. Same specs as the AVX. Same dimple type/design. 3 piece urethane that was available in yellow same as the AVX. The Titleist Japan website does not list the AVX ball. Hmm. The internal cores of the AVX/Prestige are different colors that however doesn't mean they aren't the same. Give them both a try and compare them for yourself. Especially since the Prestige can be had for $20/dozen.
    https://www.mortongolfsales.com/Titleist-Prestige-Golf-Balls-p/acush_prestige.htm

• grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,005 ✭✭

@Awesomeguy887 said:
    I don’t think so. The prestige I played were three piece surlyn. Unless they’re different versions of that ball.

There have been mutiple versions of the Prestige. The current version has the exact urethane cover as the AVX.

• fpyle3fpyle3 Members Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited Apr 14, 2019 7:54am #5

Yes, I believe the newer version(s) of the Prestige are basically identical. Look closely at the description, as the new Prestige (and the version available right before the AVX release) should have the same cover, construction and dimple pattern. FWIW, I bought some Prestige that were pretty inexpensive that play identical to AVX, save for an interesting “pearl” type finish and big Titleist logo.

Driver: TaylorMade M3 9.5*, Graphite Design Tour AD GP6x
    Fairway Wood: Titleist TS3, 13.5*, A1, PX Evenflow White T1100 6.5 [use more tee shots] // TM M3 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD MT7x [use more fairway shots]
    Hybrid/Driving Iron: Titleist 818 H2 19*, D1, PX Evenflow Black HC 6.5 [use more fairway] // TM P790 UDI 17*, PX Hzrdus Black 6.5 [use more tee]
    4 Iron: TM P790, Nippon Modus 120X
    5 - PW: Miura CB57, Nippon Modus 120X 
    Gap: Miura 1957 Y grind 49* (bent 50*), Nippon Modus 120X
    Sand/Lob: Titleist SM7 54M (bent 55*) and 60D, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge [normal, soft course] // Bettinardi H2 54* (bent 55*) and 60*, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge [firm course]
    Putter: Toulon Portland H3, Flat Cat Tak 
    Ball: Titleist ProV1 [normal, fast course] // Titleist AVX [cold, high wind, wet course]
  • mitts7mitts7 Members Posts: 42 ✭✭

Thanks guys, did end up ordering a dozen of the pearl from Morton golf. Figured for that price it would make sense to give them a try! May get a sleeve or two of the AVX as well and compare side by side as I haven’t played the AVX yet. Will report back with some results when I have them.

• MinaretsMinarets Members Posts: 3,862 ✭✭

Lets us know what you think after you use them. When I was in MB i saw them in like clear egg crates at the PGASS there. That logo just looks fishy to me. Kinda like the pearl paint.

Driver: Adams 9064LS 9.5*
    Irons: Ping I-20 4-W
    Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue Mid 16*, 19*
    Wedges: Scratch 8620 53*, 58*
    Putter: SeeMore mFGP
    Bag: SM Four5 / Ball: Srixon ZStar XV
  • reider69reider69 Members Posts: 605 ✭✭

If these are comparable to AVX that price is an absolute steal.

Mizuno ST190 - Kuro Kage Silver Tini 70X
    Cobra BioCell+ - Matrix Ozik Red Tie 6Q3 X
    Cobra BioCell 3-4 Hybrid - Aldila Rogue Black 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-G, KBS C Taper Lite X
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 - 54 and 58 - Modus 105X
    Callaway Xforged - 64 degrees
    Lajosi DD201 Proto