3 Days of Golf: Pick Dublin or Shannon?

Gents,

I have 3 full days for golf in early Sept and I really want to stay as local as possible. Meaning I prefer to stay in 1 area and play as much golf as possible on different courses. I’ll have a rental car but really don’t have the time to drive long distances or criss-cross the Emerald Isle.

Per the title, I would fly into either Dublin or Shannon airport via United.

So, what location would you choose and which courses would you play? Any & all recommendations, tips, advice, B&Bs, pubs, etc are GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you

I'm there in June and actually doing both in 6 days. Dublin is more expensive lodging wise. From Dublin we are driving up to RCD and playing there which obviously you can't do in Shannon. Dublin you have Portmarnock, European Club, Island Club and a trip to RCD perhaps.

Shannon you have Ballybunion, Lahinch, Trump Doonbeg, and a drive down to Waterville.

I'm looking forward to the trip.

If it's a golf first trip, than the Southwest: Ballybunion, Lahinch, Tralee, Dooks, Waterville, Killarney all accessible from one base in Kerry - admittedly Waterville is a bit more of a hike.

Thread of mine from 2017: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1501476/ireland-trip-report-review-may-june-2017/p1

Dublin gets you a bunch of golf too of course, but traffic can be pretty awful at times and if you live in a city/built up area and want some time in the countryside, that wouldn't be it.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I'm leaving for Ireland on Friday.

Flying into Cork, playing Cork and Old Head, then headed out to Tralee as home base for a few days and then flying out of Shannon.

We're playing Tralee, Dingle, Ballybunion, and Lahinch. Waterville is quite a trek depending on where you are staying as @duffer987 pointed out. We're AirBnBing it and it really helps keep the costs down.

General advice. Bring two pairs of shoes and good rain gear.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

> @68bronco said:

> I’m also considering Dingle on the itinerary.

Not only is the non-Gaelic name cool, it's also the westernmost golf course in Europe. That alone makes it a must play!

Good point. That's what I get for trusting the internet. Although technically they're not part of the EU.

• 1 month later...

I just got back today from a southwest Ireland trip. If you fly to Shannon, you can drive directly to Lahinch in about 45 minutes. Play Lahinch and either catch the last Killimer Ferry and drive to Ballybunion directly after playing Lahinch, or stay in Lahinch and play another 18 at The Castle Course. Either way, get a 10:30 tee time at Ballybunion (which you might not be able to do on this short of notice) and then ride another 18 on the Cashen Course. Stay in Ballybunion that night. McMunn's is a great option for dinner + lodging. Head to Tralee the next day. Tralee is truly spectacular, as are all of the other name courses. There is just something about the back 9 at Tralee that is mesmerizing. You can stay in Tralee that night, hit a few pubs, and then book it back to the Shannon airport the next morning.

There you go - 3 days, 3-5 rounds.

**edit** I realize that is not staying in one place every night. You could easily make Ballybunion home for that entire trip as long as you don't mind driving from Lahinch to Ballybunion on night one.

I'm recommending Lahinch because it is such a short drive from the airport, plus they are hosting the Irish Open in July, so the course should be in excellent shape.

> @hh2nd said:

> I just got back today from a southwest Ireland trip. If you fly to Shannon, you can drive directly to Lahinch in about 45 minutes. Play Lahinch and either catch the last Killimer Ferry and drive to Ballybunion directly after playing Lahinch, or stay in Lahinch and play another 18 at The Castle Course. Either way, get a 10:30 tee time at Ballybunion (which you might not be able to do on this short of notice) and then ride another 18 on the Cashen Course. Stay in Ballybunion that night. McMunn's is a great option for dinner + lodging. Head to Tralee the next day. Tralee is truly spectacular, as are all of the other name courses. There is just something about the back 9 at Tralee that is mesmerizing. You can stay in Tralee that night, hit a few pubs, and then book it back to the Shannon airport the next morning.

>

> There you go - 3 days, 3-5 rounds.

>

> **edit** I realize that is not staying in one place every night. You could easily make Ballybunion home for that entire trip as long as you don't mind driving from Lahinch to Ballybunion on night one.

> I'm recommending Lahinch because it is such a short drive from the airport, plus they are hosting the Irish Open in July, so the course should be in excellent shape.

> @hh2nd said:

> I just got back today from a southwest Ireland trip. If you fly to Shannon, you can drive directly to Lahinch in about 45 minutes. Play Lahinch and either catch the last Killimer Ferry and drive to Ballybunion directly after playing Lahinch, or stay in Lahinch and play another 18 at The Castle Course. Either way, get a 10:30 tee time at Ballybunion (which you might not be able to do on this short of notice) and then ride another 18 on the Cashen Course. Stay in Ballybunion that night. McMunn's is a great option for dinner + lodging. Head to Tralee the next day. Tralee is truly spectacular, as are all of the other name courses. There is just something about the back 9 at Tralee that is mesmerizing. You can stay in Tralee that night, hit a few pubs, and then book it back to the Shannon airport the next morning.

>

> There you go - 3 days, 3-5 rounds.

>

> **edit** I realize that is not staying in one place every night. You could easily make Ballybunion home for that entire trip as long as you don't mind driving from Lahinch to Ballybunion on night one.

> I'm recommending Lahinch because it is such a short drive from the airport, plus they are hosting the Irish Open in July, so the course should be in excellent shape.

QUESTION: Did you pre-book a ticket on the Killimer ferry? If so, would you care to walk me through the process?

Just returned last night. I'd go Shannon definitely. Lahinch and Trump Doonbeg are both nice. Doonbeg much more playable as Lahinch has quite a few blind shots. Love the layout and we had to play off mats due to Irish open there beginning of July. You then have to hit Ballybunion which was my favorite course. Of course Tralee and drive farther South to Waterville. You could also hit Dooks closer to Shannon. I did like RCD which you could get to from Dublin along with European Club and Portmarnock, but I like the deeper bench in the SW.

> @68bronco said:

> > @hh2nd said:

> > I just got back today from a southwest Ireland trip. If you fly to Shannon, you can drive directly to Lahinch in about 45 minutes. Play Lahinch and either catch the last Killimer Ferry and drive to Ballybunion directly after playing Lahinch, or stay in Lahinch and play another 18 at The Castle Course. Either way, get a 10:30 tee time at Ballybunion (which you might not be able to do on this short of notice) and then ride another 18 on the Cashen Course. Stay in Ballybunion that night. McMunn's is a great option for dinner + lodging. Head to Tralee the next day. Tralee is truly spectacular, as are all of the other name courses. There is just something about the back 9 at Tralee that is mesmerizing. You can stay in Tralee that night, hit a few pubs, and then book it back to the Shannon airport the next morning.

> >

> > There you go - 3 days, 3-5 rounds.

> >

> > **edit** I realize that is not staying in one place every night. You could easily make Ballybunion home for that entire trip as long as you don't mind driving from Lahinch to Ballybunion on night one.

> > I'm recommending Lahinch because it is such a short drive from the airport, plus they are hosting the Irish Open in July, so the course should be in excellent shape.

>

> > @hh2nd said:

> > I just got back today from a southwest Ireland trip. If you fly to Shannon, you can drive directly to Lahinch in about 45 minutes. Play Lahinch and either catch the last Killimer Ferry and drive to Ballybunion directly after playing Lahinch, or stay in Lahinch and play another 18 at The Castle Course. Either way, get a 10:30 tee time at Ballybunion (which you might not be able to do on this short of notice) and then ride another 18 on the Cashen Course. Stay in Ballybunion that night. McMunn's is a great option for dinner + lodging. Head to Tralee the next day. Tralee is truly spectacular, as are all of the other name courses. There is just something about the back 9 at Tralee that is mesmerizing. You can stay in Tralee that night, hit a few pubs, and then book it back to the Shannon airport the next morning.

> >

> >

> > **edit** I realize that is not staying in one place every night. You could easily make Ballybunion home for that entire trip as long as you don't mind driving from Lahinch to Ballybunion on night one.

> > I'm recommending Lahinch because it is such a short drive from the airport, plus they are hosting the Irish Open in July, so the course should be in excellent shape.

>

> QUESTION: Did you pre-book a ticket on the Killimer ferry? If so, would you care to walk me through the process?

Queue up (ferries leave on the hour or half-hour depending on time of year and direction), drive onto ferry, and pay once onboard.

There are no reservations, you can buy online ahead of time to save a few Euros, but that's it.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @68bronco said:

> > @hh2nd said:

> >

> >

>

> > @hh2nd said:

> >

> >

>

> QUESTION: Did you pre-book a ticket on the Killimer ferry? If so, would you care to walk me through the process?

We pre bought the ticket. It was very easy to do on their website. Just google the ferry and it will be very self explanatory.

Or you can just pay when you get there. Either is fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Typing this from Dublin airport sitting out a 4 hr flight delay home, thanks a lot AA. Lots of windshield time on our trip, as we have the Lasses with us, few days of sightseeing mixed in with the golf. Arrived Dublin and took a coach to Killarney, 3 1/2 hr drive. I know, way better to have flown into Shannon and out of Dublin, but price and flight times dictated otherwise. Day #2, played Old Head while the gals did a beach walk and explored the town of Kinsale. Dinner at Finn's Table in Kinsale might have been the best meal of the trip, and we enjoyed lots of good ones. Day #3 did the Ring of Kerry with gals. Day 4 played Ballybunion Old course. Our coach driver dropped us and returned to Killarney to fetch the gals after a leisurely morning in Killarney. Notes from Killarney;

Murphy's Pub served the best fish n chips of the trip and Killarney park Hotel is superb. From Ballybunion took the ferry to next stop, Moy House just south of Lahinch. Note on Moy House; outstanding 9 room Inn right on the bay. The chef does a 6 course tasting menu for dinner. Everything is farm to table, veggies and fruits grown on site. Chickens, pigs, cattle as well. Best eggs and pork link sausage of the trip. They don't catch the fish themselves, but it comes from the Atlantic right outside the door. Sightseeing from here was Cliffs of Mohr.

Played Doonbeg on Day 5. Day 6, loaded up the coach again for another 3 1/2 hour drive to Portmarnock. Pro shop at Lahinch was all stocked up with Irish Open gear, so we made a quick stop on the way. While the guys were playing, gals travelled into Dublin to get us all checked into Brooks Hotel, centrally located right in the heart of the city. Day 7, day trip up to play Royal County Down. Day 8, explored Dublin, Guiness, Jameson, St. Patricks Cathedral, Trinity College and the Book of Kells. Day 9 played Royal Dublin Golf Club.

Most spectacular course: Old Head

My new favorite course on the planet: RCD

Hidden gem: Royal Dublin. Close to Portmarnock so terrain is identical, can see a few fairways of Portmarnock from Royal Dub. Also very close to airport for an arrival or exit 18.

Dublin pub: Hairy Lemon

Dublin meal: 28 day dry aged ribeye at Fire

Missed: Waterville, Tralee, Dooks, Lahinch. GREAT REASON TO RETURN!

• Like 1

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

• 1 month later...

> @68bronco said:

> Only few weeks away, i’m sbegonning to feel it!!!

Good stuff Bronco :-)

So you have your stinger teeball and hybrid/putter from 50yds all sorted and good to go? ;-)

F.T.

I know the feeling Bronco. We are one week away from take-off.

2024 Bag

Cobra KING LTDx (9*) - MCA Tensei RAW White 6S

Cobra Radspeed 3W (13*) - MCA Kai'li White 7S

TM Stealth Plus 5W (19*) - Project X Hzrdus RDX Red 75S 

Cobra KING Tour MIM (4-G) - KBS C-Taper 120S

Sub 70 JB Forged FF (54,60L) - KBS S-Taper 120S

Odyssey White Hot Versa 7S

> @68bronco said:

> I’ve booked tee times at Ballybunion x 2, Doonbeg, Dooks and the course to the West of Dooks with the hard to pronounce name. Tralee was closed for a tourney. Lahinch as well.

> Thanks for all suggestions and feedback. Can’t wait for the trip!

Great plan. Some say play the Cashen course at Bally. I'd say play the Old twice if you can. It's darn near my favorite course on the planet. Slainte

> @SCalGolfer said:

> > @68bronco said:

> > I’ve booked tee times at Ballybunion x 2, Doonbeg, Dooks and the course to the West of Dooks with the hard to pronounce name. Tralee was closed for a tourney. Lahinch as well.

> > Thanks for all suggestions and feedback. Can’t wait for the trip!

>

> Great plan. Some say play the Cashen course at Bally. I'd say play the Old twice if you can. It's darn near my favorite course on the planet. Slainte

The Old at Ballybunion was my favorite course on our trip as well. Really like the short grass walking paths which adds to the comfort of the walk and ambience as well.

> @Chanceman said:

> The Old course at BB looked very sad last year, I hope it has recovered from the drought.

> @Chanceman said:

> The Old course at BB looked very sad last year, I hope it has recovered from the drought.

Quite the opposite this year. They have been pumping water off of the Old Course over the past couple of weeks. Crazy amounts of rain.