Putting: Mike Malaska video on eye line. Agree or disagree?

Normally, I don't like Malaska's stuff. However, found this video and after trying it, I'm starting to think this is very helpful advice for putting. Maybe it's because for me, I've had issues in the past getting my eye line right, even after trying alignment aids (such as the putting mirror).

Curious to hear what others think.

Tagged:

Comments

• coopscoops Members Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'd agree that it is NOT a case of everyone should line up with their eyes directly over the ball - so, to see a straight putt as straight, you may need to be closer or further away ( and adjust the putter lie to suit). Many years ago Gel golf by Paul Hurrion was keen on this aspect of putter fitting

I'd also say that having a putter shape that 'fits' your eyes, your alignment, is important and goes along with the above - I've never had an Edel putter fitting, but the concept of finding what putter shape and aligment makr works for you is vital... personally, i do know that a plumber's neck hosel is a disaster for me.

I stumbled on the realisation that a very rectangular shape and centre shaft seems best for me... basically like a Seemore FGP.

• thebogeyputtthebogeyputt NYCMembers Posts: 59 ✭✭

@coops said:
    I'd agree that it is NOT a case of everyone should line up with their eyes directly over the ball - so, to see a straight putt as straight, you may need to be closer or further away ( and adjust the putter lie to suit). Many years ago Gel golf by Paul Hurrion was keen on this aspect of putter fitting

I'd also say that having a putter shape that 'fits' your eyes, your alignment, is important and goes along with the above - I've never had an Edel putter fitting, but the concept of finding what putter shape and aligment makr works for you is vital... personally, i do know that a plumber's neck hosel is a disaster for me.

I stumbled on the realisation that a very rectangular shape and centre shaft seems best for me... basically like a Seemore FGP.

100% agree on choosing a shape that fits your eye. i'm in love with my scotty newport 2, so I'm just going to keep working on maintaining the visual of the line of the putt pre-set up and post-set up. Has done wonders for my putting in the past few days. just now need to work on controlling speed to be able to play the breaks properly

• b_f_c_99b_f_c_99 No Warm Up Needed. Members Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭

I messed with Mike's concept last night. At 15 to 20 feet from the pin there was no place I could move my head, up/down/forward/back I mean NOWHERE that I could make it so it didn't look like I was lined up left. So for kicks I set-up to the ball then reach down and moved the line until it looked like it was aimed at the hole. Then I went behind the ball and looked where the line was aiming. Almost 3 feet to the right. Not sure what to make of that, maybe it explains why I never feel like I have a clue, maybe not.

• AquilaAquila "Deceptively simple and endlessly complicated..." Members Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

I discovered this exact video before last season, and it changed my setup completely. I'm right eye dominant, and the only thing that allowed me to see the line accurately was to position the ball back in my stance, not so coincidentally more under my right eye. I find that playing with ball position forward and back felt more natural than moving the ball closer or further away from me. But as Mike indicates, it will be different for everyone. I couldn't really dial it in until I marked an alignment line on my ball and positioned myself until it looked and felt accurate.

Driver: Cobra King LTD Pro 8.5* / MCA Diamana D+ Limited Edition 70X
    Fairway: Titleist 917 F2 14.25* / MCA Diamana D+ Limited Edition 80S
    Utility/DI: Srixon Z U85 19* / Nippon Modus3 120S
    Irons: Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal 4-6 & Forged 7-GW / Nippon Modus3 120S
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 54* & 58* / Nippon Modus3 120S
    Putter: Ping Anser 3 / SuperStroke Flatso 1.0
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

@Aquila said:
    I discovered this exact video before last season, and it changed my setup completely. I'm right eye dominant, and the only thing that allowed me to see the line accurately was to position the ball back in my stance, not so coincidentally more under my right eye. I find that playing with ball position forward and back felt more natural than moving the ball closer or further away from me. But as Mike indicates, it will be different for everyone. I couldn't really dial it in until I marked an alignment line on my ball and positioned myself until it looked and felt accurate.

have you been putting better after making the adjustment? any noticeable diff in results inside 10 ft vs outside 10 ft?

• hacker49hacker49 Members Posts: 572 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mchung.nyc212 said:

Normally, I don't like Malaska's stuff. However, found this video and after trying it, I'm starting to think this is very helpful advice for putting. Maybe it's because for me, I've had issues in the past getting my eye line right, even after trying alignment aids (such as the putting mirror).

Curious to hear what others think.

I started a thread about this problem a few weeks ago. Below is a video someone posted that does a good job of explaining why things look different from over the ball vs behind.

I also found a video that explains this as it pertains to putting.

I have been working on this and it seems my putting has improved but I still don't "see the line" when over the ball so it's possible my subconscious overrides my swing. Next time I am out on the putting green I will have to work on Mr Malaska's tip to see if I can find a position where I see the line over the ball.

If it helps I will take it as I am looking for anything that will help me with my putting.

• AquilaAquila "Deceptively simple and endlessly complicated..." Members Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

@mchung.nyc212 said:

@Aquila said:

have you been putting better after making the adjustment? any noticeable diff in results inside 10 ft vs outside 10 ft?

Yes, my putting got better, less of a guessing game. Not sure the distance of the putt is the issue.

Driver: Cobra King LTD Pro 8.5* / MCA Diamana D+ Limited Edition 70X
    Fairway: Titleist 917 F2 14.25* / MCA Diamana D+ Limited Edition 80S
    Utility/DI: Srixon Z U85 19* / Nippon Modus3 120S
    Irons: Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal 4-6 & Forged 7-GW / Nippon Modus3 120S
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 54* & 58* / Nippon Modus3 120S
    Putter: Ping Anser 3 / SuperStroke Flatso 1.0
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
  • coopscoops Members Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 21, 2019 6:12am #9

@b_f_c_99 said:
    I messed with Mike's concept last night. At 15 to 20 feet from the pin there was no place I could move my head, up/down/forward/back I mean NOWHERE that I could make it so it didn't look like I was lined up left. So for kicks I set-up to the ball then reach down and moved the line until it looked like it was aimed at the hole. Then I went behind the ball and looked where the line was aiming. Almost 3 feet to the right. Not sure what to make of that, maybe it explains why I never feel like I have a clue, maybe not.

The Hurrion tip/method is to line up several balls in a straight line - and then see how far inside/outside/on the line your eyeline needs to be to see that line of balls as straight... and then you adjust the putter lie to get your eyeline that far from the target line.

But there's more - after that, if I put a 'plumber's neck' type putter down, it will look to me wildly wrong and there's no way my subconscious can ignore something that looks that far off. Much more square type shapes suit me - whether old style blade or better a rectangular block like a Seemore FGP... And i've seen the Edel Brick in person and that would suit me just nicely too...

And then how far to put the ball back or forward in your stance.... as someone above mentions who is right eye dominant. Well, putting the ball in the centre also doesn't suit me... I'm LEFT eye dominant so have finally realised I need to put the ball much more forward to suit my personal preferences...

Next trip to the US I'd actually like to try out the L.A.B golf/directed force 'Blad' ;-)

• oz dee ceeoz dee cee Members Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the vid. Some of Malaskas stuff I can’t get into but this has grabbed my attention. I’ll give it a whirl! I do think I need a putter fitting though...

• b_f_c_99b_f_c_99 No Warm Up Needed. Members Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭

@coops said:

@b_f_c_99 said:

The Hurrion tip/method is to line up several balls in a straight line - and then see how far inside/outside/on the line your eyeline needs to be to see that line of balls as straight... and then you adjust the putter lie to get your eyeline that far from the target line.

But there's more - after that, if I put a 'plumber's neck' type putter down, it will look to me wildly wrong and there's no way my subconscious can ignore something that looks that far off. Much more square type shapes suit me - whether old style blade or better a rectangular block like a Seemore FGP... And i've seen the Edel Brick in person and that would suit me just nicely too...

And then how far to put the ball back or forward in your stance.... as someone above mentions who is right eye dominant. Well, putting the ball in the centre also doesn't suit me... I'm LEFT eye dominant so have finally realised I need to put the ball much more forward to suit my personal preferences...

Next trip to the US I'd actually like to try out the L.A.B golf/directed force 'Blad' ;-)

I have some other putters sitting around. I’ll see if any of them look better so to speak!

just an update here. spent some time on the practice greens and on the course today trying this and for me it's working. It was nice to make a few 8-10 footers to save par. I think like some of you said, the subconscious overriding the visual of what "should look" correct is still an issue. But I've found that once I commit to the line, the putts drop or very close to dropping. The ones that don't drop might just be a misread (or overreading a break). Will have to keep at it and see what real results they bring

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 22, 2019 1:41pm #13

Im a guy who doesn’t see the line correctly over putts. I found this video to be extremely interesting. I’ll post again after some practice today.

I already know that the days where I make them all I know that I see the line . The days where I can’t. I rarely make a single putt all round.

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

• ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,723 ClubWRX

Doesn't seem unreasonable if you have this kind of trust issue.

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX (wind) or ProV1X (tournaments) in yellow

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights