GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

Putting: Mike Malaska video on eye line. Agree or disagree?

 thebogeyputt ·  
thebogeyputtthebogeyputt NYCMembers  131WRX Points: 53Posts: 131 Fairways
Joined:  in Instruction & Academy #1


Normally, I don't like Malaska's stuff. However, found this video and after trying it, I'm starting to think this is very helpful advice for putting. Maybe it's because for me, I've had issues in the past getting my eye line right, even after trying alignment aids (such as the putting mirror).

Curious to hear what others think.

Posted:
Tagged:
1

Comments

  • coopscoops Members  1318WRX Points: 234Posts: 1,318 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #2

    I'd agree that it is NOT a case of everyone should line up with their eyes directly over the ball - so, to see a straight putt as straight, you may need to be closer or further away ( and adjust the putter lie to suit). Many years ago Gel golf by Paul Hurrion was keen on this aspect of putter fitting

    I'd also say that having a putter shape that 'fits' your eyes, your alignment, is important and goes along with the above - I've never had an Edel putter fitting, but the concept of finding what putter shape and aligment makr works for you is vital... personally, i do know that a plumber's neck hosel is a disaster for me.

    I stumbled on the realisation that a very rectangular shape and centre shaft seems best for me... basically like a Seemore FGP.

    Posted:

    Adams 9015d +DiamanaZF, Mizuno MP-650 15deg FW+Diamana Thump, Epon 901 19deg, 301 4-PW, 210KGX 50deg, TM ATVforged 56 & 64deg, Cameron Futura 2003

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • thebogeyputtthebogeyputt NYCMembers  131WRX Points: 53Posts: 131 Fairways
    Joined:  #3

    On -, @coops said:

    I'd agree that it is NOT a case of everyone should line up with their eyes directly over the ball - so, to see a straight putt as straight, you may need to be closer or further away ( and adjust the putter lie to suit). Many years ago Gel golf by Paul Hurrion was keen on this aspect of putter fitting

    I'd also say that having a putter shape that 'fits' your eyes, your alignment, is important and goes along with the above - I've never had an Edel putter fitting, but the concept of finding what putter shape and aligment makr works for you is vital... personally, i do know that a plumber's neck hosel is a disaster for me.

    I stumbled on the realisation that a very rectangular shape and centre shaft seems best for me... basically like a Seemore FGP.

    100% agree on choosing a shape that fits your eye. i'm in love with my scotty newport 2, so I'm just going to keep working on maintaining the visual of the line of the putt pre-set up and post-set up. Has done wonders for my putting in the past few days. just now need to work on controlling speed to be able to play the breaks properly

    Posted:
  • b_f_c_99b_f_c_99 No Warm Up Needed. Members  301WRX Points: 86Handicap: 4Posts: 301 Greens
    Joined:  #4

    I messed with Mike's concept last night. At 15 to 20 feet from the pin there was no place I could move my head, up/down/forward/back I mean NOWHERE that I could make it so it didn't look like I was lined up left. So for kicks I set-up to the ball then reach down and moved the line until it looked like it was aimed at the hole. Then I went behind the ball and looked where the line was aiming. Almost 3 feet to the right. Not sure what to make of that, maybe it explains why I never feel like I have a clue, maybe not.

    Posted:
  • AquilaAquila "Deceptively simple and endlessly complicated..." Members  131WRX Points: 33Handicap: 9Posts: 131 Fairways
    Joined:  #5

    I discovered this exact video before last season, and it changed my setup completely. I'm right eye dominant, and the only thing that allowed me to see the line accurately was to position the ball back in my stance, not so coincidentally more under my right eye. I find that playing with ball position forward and back felt more natural than moving the ball closer or further away from me. But as Mike indicates, it will be different for everyone. I couldn't really dial it in until I marked an alignment line on my ball and positioned myself until it looked and felt accurate.

    Posted:
    Driver: Cobra King LTD Pro 8.5* / MCA Diamana D+ Limited Edition 70X
    Fairway: Titleist 917 F2 14.25* / MCA Diamana D+ Limited Edition 80S
    Utility/DI: Srixon Z U85 19* / Nippon Modus3 120S
    Irons: Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal 4-6 & Forged 7-GW / Nippon Modus3 120S
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 54* & 58* / Nippon Modus3 120S
    Putter: Ping Anser 3 / SuperStroke Flatso 1.0
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
  • thebogeyputtthebogeyputt NYCMembers  131WRX Points: 53Posts: 131 Fairways
    Joined:  #6

    On -, @Aquila said:

    I discovered this exact video before last season, and it changed my setup completely. I'm right eye dominant, and the only thing that allowed me to see the line accurately was to position the ball back in my stance, not so coincidentally more under my right eye. I find that playing with ball position forward and back felt more natural than moving the ball closer or further away from me. But as Mike indicates, it will be different for everyone. I couldn't really dial it in until I marked an alignment line on my ball and positioned myself until it looked and felt accurate.

    have you been putting better after making the adjustment? any noticeable diff in results inside 10 ft vs outside 10 ft?

    Posted:
  • hacker49hacker49 Members  587WRX Points: 134Posts: 587 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #7

    On -, @mchung.nyc212 said:


    Normally, I don't like Malaska's stuff. However, found this video and after trying it, I'm starting to think this is very helpful advice for putting. Maybe it's because for me, I've had issues in the past getting my eye line right, even after trying alignment aids (such as the putting mirror).

    Curious to hear what others think.

    I started a thread about this problem a few weeks ago. Below is a video someone posted that does a good job of explaining why things look different from over the ball vs behind.

    I also found a video that explains this as it pertains to putting.

    I have been working on this and it seems my putting has improved but I still don't "see the line" when over the ball so it's possible my subconscious overrides my swing. Next time I am out on the putting green I will have to work on Mr Malaska's tip to see if I can find a position where I see the line over the ball.

    If it helps I will take it as I am looking for anything that will help me with my putting.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • AquilaAquila "Deceptively simple and endlessly complicated..." Members  131WRX Points: 33Handicap: 9Posts: 131 Fairways
    Joined:  #8

    On -, @mchung.nyc212 said:

    On -, @Aquila said:

    I discovered this exact video before last season, and it changed my setup completely. I'm right eye dominant, and the only thing that allowed me to see the line accurately was to position the ball back in my stance, not so coincidentally more under my right eye. I find that playing with ball position forward and back felt more natural than moving the ball closer or further away from me. But as Mike indicates, it will be different for everyone. I couldn't really dial it in until I marked an alignment line on my ball and positioned myself until it looked and felt accurate.

    have you been putting better after making the adjustment? any noticeable diff in results inside 10 ft vs outside 10 ft?

    Yes, my putting got better, less of a guessing game. Not sure the distance of the putt is the issue.

    Posted:
    Driver: Cobra King LTD Pro 8.5* / MCA Diamana D+ Limited Edition 70X
    Fairway: Titleist 917 F2 14.25* / MCA Diamana D+ Limited Edition 80S
    Utility/DI: Srixon Z U85 19* / Nippon Modus3 120S
    Irons: Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal 4-6 & Forged 7-GW / Nippon Modus3 120S
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 54* & 58* / Nippon Modus3 120S
    Putter: Ping Anser 3 / SuperStroke Flatso 1.0
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
  • coopscoops Members  1318WRX Points: 234Posts: 1,318 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Apr 21, 2019 #9

    On -, @b_f_c_99 said:

    I messed with Mike's concept last night. At 15 to 20 feet from the pin there was no place I could move my head, up/down/forward/back I mean NOWHERE that I could make it so it didn't look like I was lined up left. So for kicks I set-up to the ball then reach down and moved the line until it looked like it was aimed at the hole. Then I went behind the ball and looked where the line was aiming. Almost 3 feet to the right. Not sure what to make of that, maybe it explains why I never feel like I have a clue, maybe not.

    The Hurrion tip/method is to line up several balls in a straight line - and then see how far inside/outside/on the line your eyeline needs to be to see that line of balls as straight... and then you adjust the putter lie to get your eyeline that far from the target line.

    But there's more - after that, if I put a 'plumber's neck' type putter down, it will look to me wildly wrong and there's no way my subconscious can ignore something that looks that far off. Much more square type shapes suit me - whether old style blade or better a rectangular block like a Seemore FGP... And i've seen the Edel Brick in person and that would suit me just nicely too...

    And then how far to put the ball back or forward in your stance.... as someone above mentions who is right eye dominant. Well, putting the ball in the centre also doesn't suit me... I'm LEFT eye dominant so have finally realised I need to put the ball much more forward to suit my personal preferences...

    Next trip to the US I'd actually like to try out the L.A.B golf/directed force 'Blad' ;-)

    Posted:

    Adams 9015d +DiamanaZF, Mizuno MP-650 15deg FW+Diamana Thump, Epon 901 19deg, 301 4-PW, 210KGX 50deg, TM ATVforged 56 & 64deg, Cameron Futura 2003

  • oz dee ceeoz dee cee Members  514WRX Points: 104Posts: 514 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #10

    Thanks for the vid. Some of Malaskas stuff I can’t get into but this has grabbed my attention. I’ll give it a whirl! I do think I need a putter fitting though...

    Posted:
  • b_f_c_99b_f_c_99 No Warm Up Needed. Members  301WRX Points: 86Handicap: 4Posts: 301 Greens
    Joined:  #11

    On -, @coops said:

    On -, @b_f_c_99 said:

    I messed with Mike's concept last night. At 15 to 20 feet from the pin there was no place I could move my head, up/down/forward/back I mean NOWHERE that I could make it so it didn't look like I was lined up left. So for kicks I set-up to the ball then reach down and moved the line until it looked like it was aimed at the hole. Then I went behind the ball and looked where the line was aiming. Almost 3 feet to the right. Not sure what to make of that, maybe it explains why I never feel like I have a clue, maybe not.

    The Hurrion tip/method is to line up several balls in a straight line - and then see how far inside/outside/on the line your eyeline needs to be to see that line of balls as straight... and then you adjust the putter lie to get your eyeline that far from the target line.

    But there's more - after that, if I put a 'plumber's neck' type putter down, it will look to me wildly wrong and there's no way my subconscious can ignore something that looks that far off. Much more square type shapes suit me - whether old style blade or better a rectangular block like a Seemore FGP... And i've seen the Edel Brick in person and that would suit me just nicely too...

    And then how far to put the ball back or forward in your stance.... as someone above mentions who is right eye dominant. Well, putting the ball in the centre also doesn't suit me... I'm LEFT eye dominant so have finally realised I need to put the ball much more forward to suit my personal preferences...

    Next trip to the US I'd actually like to try out the L.A.B golf/directed force 'Blad' ;-)

    I have some other putters sitting around. I’ll see if any of them look better so to speak!

    Posted:
  • thebogeyputtthebogeyputt NYCMembers  131WRX Points: 53Posts: 131 Fairways
    Joined:  #12

    just an update here. spent some time on the practice greens and on the course today trying this and for me it's working. It was nice to make a few 8-10 footers to save par. I think like some of you said, the subconscious overriding the visual of what "should look" correct is still an issue. But I've found that once I commit to the line, the putts drop or very close to dropping. The ones that don't drop might just be a misread (or overreading a break). Will have to keep at it and see what real results they bring

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • bladehunterbladehunter south carolinaMembers  30977WRX Points: 7,255Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,977 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Apr 22, 2019 #13

    Im a guy who doesn’t see the line correctly over putts. I found this video to be extremely interesting. I’ll post again after some practice today.

    I already know that the days where I make them all I know that I see the line . The days where I can’t. I rarely make a single putt all round.

    Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Artisan   53 59 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 


  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX  2651WRX Points: 1,664Handicap: +2.2Posts: 2,651 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #14

    Doesn't seem unreasonable if you have this kind of trust issue.

    Posted:
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 8° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Jim Kronus JK-1 Custom Grind 54/06 w/DG S200
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1X in yellow
  • JedaigekiJedaigeki Members  357WRX Points: 91Posts: 357 Greens
    Joined:  #15

    Reviving this old thread as I've spent most of the summer trying to incorporate it. While overall I've managed to get in a position which allows the ball line and hole to match up comfortably on longer putts. However over short putts I've never managed to get comfortable with the line looking correct. My solution for this is to simply not look at the hole while over the ball. My process over short putts (10feet and less) is as below

    Read the putt.

    Set the ball down with the line aiming at my start point.

    Stand behind the ball (facing the target) and make my practice stroke(s) while looking at the hole

    Walk to the ball

    Set the putter down first so the line on my putter matches the line on the ball

    Do NOT take my eyes of the ball

    Make the stroke.


    Invariably this has worked for me, other than when I make a bad stroke or miss read. The ball will normally start and roll on the intended line and since the putt is short enough that pace is not a large issue they usually go in or leave a tap in.

    Posted:
  • DLev45DLev45 Members  456WRX Points: 272Handicap: 6.5Posts: 456 Greens
    Joined:  edited Nov 29, 2019 #16

    I used this approach for a while with some moderate success, but I have gone back to just using the line on the ball for alignment.

    I have found no better training method of trust for an alignment line on the ball than missing a bunch of putts that would have gone in based on the line but I convinced myself the line was wrong while standing over it.

    Posted:
    • Ping G400 Max 10.5, Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")
    • Ping G410 SFT 3W, Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff
    • Ping G 3h/4h, Ping Alta 70 Regular
    • Callaway Apex CF16 (5-GW), TT XP 95 R300
    • Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth (54/SS, 58/ES), Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge
    • TaylorMade Spider X Navy, 35"

  • CwingCwing #TaylorMade TwistFace Experience 2018 Go Big Blue!!! 8x Champs. Who Dey !!! Go Bengals,Members  8461WRX Points: 363Handicap: 12.1Posts: 8,461 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #17

    Interesting stuff

    Posted:
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5”
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s
    Callaway Apex CF19  5-A w/KBS $-Taper 120
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    Cleveland RTX 58*
    Seemore si5, si3 and Directed Force 2.0
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Soloman1Soloman1 Members  2957WRX Points: 982Posts: 2,957 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Nov 29, 2019 #18

    For me, no method comes close to working better inside 10’ than looking at the hole during my stroke.


    But I’m a putting basket case.

    Posted:
    I'm quitting at 6.022 x 10^23 posts.
    Avogadro would be proud.
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX  2651WRX Points: 1,664Handicap: +2.2Posts: 2,651 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #19

    What do you do if you have a breaking putt indside of 10'?

    Posted:
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 8° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Jim Kronus JK-1 Custom Grind 54/06 w/DG S200
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1X in yellow
  • Soloman1Soloman1 Members  2957WRX Points: 982Posts: 2,957 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #20

    I look at the spot at the edge of the hole where I expect the ball to drop in.

    Posted:
    I'm quitting at 6.022 x 10^23 posts.
    Avogadro would be proud.
  • stingerfadestingerfade Members  708WRX Points: 499Posts: 708 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #21

    Best putting aid I’ve found is the pelz mickelson one. Helps with learning eye line and cannot hit through the marbles unless it’s a sold strike. Used to be about 20% without knocking the marbles now I’m around 90%. Weird thing is I learned I naturally closed my shoulders to the line so figured that out and when shoulders are square almost have to feel OTT to get a straight solid strike. Putting is a strength now

    Posted:
  • TMoakley1547TMoakley1547 Members  199WRX Points: 108Posts: 199 Fairways
    Joined:  #22

    Its an interesting theory and it makes alot of sense. I messed around with it some, and found that if i set up with my eyes looking straight down on top of the ball, and slightly open body alignment, the line will look correct.


    The hard part for me was, swinging the putter on the line the ball was lined up with, and not on the line my body was lined up with, since i started setting up slightly open. I pulled alot of putts left. I have since gone back to lining my body up square to the target line.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • CAT GOLFERCAT GOLFER Members  1091WRX Points: 177Posts: 1,091 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #23

    I use the same idea with full swing, pick a spot 1-2 ft on target line, trust the line and don't look out at the target and let my eyes fool my body.

    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.