Taking a Caddy at Pinehurst area courses?

tacrispytacrispy Members Posts: 163 ✭✭

The boys are headed to Pinehurst next month for rounds at Pine Needles, Mid Pines and Tobacco Road with hopefully one at Pinehurst 2 and possibly another course. I am planning on taking a caddy for Tobacco Road and #2 if we get on of course. I am guessing Pine Needles and Mid Pines are very walkable but I was curious what others thought about using caddies on those courses and/or experiences.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]TM M2 '16 10.5 Projext X Hzrdus 6.5 75Gr[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Cobra F8 3wood Aldilla Tour Green XS[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Adams A7 3Hybrid Aldilla RIP Alpha XS[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon Z745 4-PW Project X 6.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Callaway MD3 50[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Callaway MD3 54,58 S400[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Piretti Cottonwood 2[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TM TP5 ball[/font]

Comments

• davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,101 ✭✭

All of those courses are walkable, with Tobacco Road being the least-often walked. Tobacco Road does have a couple of long stretches between holes. From what I can read, all of your choices besides #2 utilize the services of an outside firm called CaddieWalk for their caddies. I can't tell you how experienced or knowledgeable their caddies are. I know that MidPines has 3-wheel trolleys you can use, I'd bet that Pine Needles does as well. I almost always walk at MidPines, using one of their trolleys to save my old back. There's no discount for NOT using a motorized buggy, but walking is still the way to go.
    In my experience, the caddies at Pinehurst are well trained and very knowledgeable, although there are always some who are better than others. At #2, unless you are with a member, you are required to either use a cart (and stay on the cartpath), or hire a caddie. I'd recommend using a caddie.

• bmellisenbmellisen Members Posts: 1,124 ✭✭

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a caddie at the other three courses. Wouldn’t think it would be needed unless it’s something you want.

Tobacco Road would be the toughest walk. As Dave says some distance between holes. And a little hilly.

@bmellisen said:
    Don’t think I’ve ever seen a caddie at the other three courses. **Wouldn’t think it would be needed unless it’s something you want. **

Tobacco Road would be the toughest walk. As Dave says some distance between holes. And a little hilly.

I agree with @bmellisen , I'm not sure there's specific value in a caddie at some of these courses. At #2, walking with a caddie gets you off of the cart path and into the fairways, and the caddies are trained by the resort, so there's a minimum level of quality I just don't know how well CaddieWalk controls the quality and course knowledge of their caddies. At the other courses, you can drive your cart in the fairways, or walk on the fairways, whatever your choice. At Mid Pines and Pine Needles, the loaner trolleys help take some of the weight off of your shoulders if you choose to walk, with no additional cost. If you really want a caddie, go for it. You might get a great guy the first day, and have him on your bag for the rest of your rounds.

• ceejay81ceejay81 Love that chicken from Popeyes! Washington, DCMembers Posts: 1,707 ✭✭

A bunch of us walked at Tobacco Road back in late February. If you're used to walking a lot, it's really no problem. There's a couple tough transfers on the back 9 but nothing too egregious. I have only been there twice but I've never seen anybody use a caddie there. I don't think it's really necessary. But if you want a nice day outside without having to carry or push your bag, then by all means do it. Just not sure of the added value a caddie would provide outside of that. Absolutely take a caddie on #2. That is a fantastic walk and those greens can be tough to read. My first two times on the course I was totally caddie dependent on reads but last week when I was there, I read all of my own putts. My caddie had been there less than a month, unfortunately, so I was cool doing it on my own.

Mid Pines is a great walk. We took our own push carts. I have not walked Pine Needles (only have ridden in a cart) but I'd have to imagine it's on par with the walk at Mid Pines. I have not seen caddies at either of these courses either. Really the only mandatory caddie is #2. The rest of the courses you don't really need one unless you just want one.

Hive Tour Titles: 2
  • bulls9999bulls9999 Members Posts: 697 ✭✭

I did notice one course around there had (a novelty?) Llamas as caddy's, but my family joked about it. I could just imagine, you pull an iron out of the saddle/caddy and the llama starts walking/running away in the opposite direction, lol....meanwhile, group behind you is either getting annoyed or rolling on the ground laughing.

GHIN Index 13.8

@bulls9999 said:
    I did notice one course around there had (a novelty?) Llamas as caddy's, but my family joked about it. I could just imagine, you pull an iron out of the saddle/caddy and the llama starts walking/running away in the opposite direction, lol....meanwhile, group behind you is either getting annoyed or rolling on the ground laughing.

That club is Talamore, and they no longer offer the llama caddie service. At the time, they would have an employee to attend the llamas. Each one would carry two sets of clubs, and I believe all 4 players had to use the llamas. They still have llamas on site, near the 14th tee, but they no longer have to earn their keep.