Top Flight Gamer Urethane, 2 for 22?

Tanner25 ·  
Tanner25Tanner25  6532WRX Points: 258Members Posts: 6,532 Titanium Tees
Posted:

Comments

• MooJerseyMooJersey Maryland 590WRX Points: 131Handicap: 15.4Members Posts: 590 Golden Tee

Hmm I don't know, but I did see in another thread that there was talk of the end of the Top Flite "Gamer" line.

Posted:
    Cobra F8+ Driver (UST Mamiya Helium)
    Cobra F8 3W (UST Mamiya Helium)
    Titleist 818H1 Hy  (MRC Tensei Red)
    Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW  (NIPPON 950GH)
    Vokey Jet Black SM7 50.08F, 54.08M, 60.04L  (NIPPON 8950GH)
    Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • zzyzxx33zzyzxx33  1166WRX Points: 150Members Posts: 1,166 Platinum Tees

I don't believe it is the end. Last golf season it seemed that Dick's ran this special a couple of times a month.

Posted:
  • MooJerseyMooJersey Maryland 590WRX Points: 131Handicap: 15.4Members Posts: 590 Golden Tee

Yeah I don't know for sure, just speculating based on what others here have said. Regardless this is a great deal at $11 dozen for a urethane covered ball. Less than $1 per ball. Grabbed 10 boxes myself, geez...

Posted:
    Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

No longer 2 for $22, that was quick. Glad I grabbed so many. They are 3 for $50 now, still not bad. 3 piece urethane

Posted:
    Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

• wantacigarwantacigar  6WRX Points: 8Members Posts: 6 Bunkers

On -, @MooJersey said:

No longer 2 for $22, that was quick. Glad I grabbed so many. They are 3 for $50 now, still not bad. 3 piece urethane

Have you played the Gamer Urethane yet? Just wondering what you thought before I pulled the trigger

Posted:

On -, @wantacigar said:

On -, @MooJersey said:

Have you played the Gamer Urethane yet? Just wondering what you thought before I pulled the trigger

I have played the Gamer extensively last year, but have not played the Gamer Urethane. I love the TF Gamer and it cannot be beat for the price when they go on sale. 3-piece balls that spin and check nicely green side. Feel good to me with driver and irons. I play ProV1's, Chrome Soft balls as well. I shoot mostly in the 90's and to me they seem pretty comparable.

Posted:
    Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

Advertisement
  • zzyzxx33zzyzxx33  1166WRX Points: 150Members Posts: 1,166 Platinum Tees

currently 2 for $25

Posted:
  • devinh821devinh821  587WRX Points: 85Members Posts: 587 Golden Tee

Just picked up 2 for 25 yesterday. Someone give me some insight on these balls. Usually play srixon z star but ran out recently and looked for something cheaper until the big sale.

Posted:
  • PuttCurseRepeatPuttCurseRepeat It's a ball mark repair tool. Use it!  910WRX Points: 147Members Posts: 910 Golden Tee

Didn't like the previous version of the Gamer Urethane (pro or tour?) because I thought it was at least a club shorter than other urethane balls. Feel and spin were acceptable.
    I decided to give the new version a try, hoping that the distance was improved. I think distance on the new ball has probably been improved, a little it, but feel has taken a big hit, greenside spin was not as should be expected from a urethane ball and the ball seemed to get pushed around in the wind. Overall, I probably like this version even less than the previous one.

Posted:
  • MaxBuckMaxBuck  468WRX Points: 219Members Posts: 468 Greens

Looking to lose these as quickly as possible. :#

Posted:

Dang. Seemed like top flite had some love last year on the cheaper balls. I know it’s not a top line ball but just figured I would pick them up for a couple captains choice tourneys upcoming.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Tanner25Tanner25  6532WRX Points: 258Members Posts: 6,532 Titanium Tees

On -, @devinh821 said:

Dang. Seemed like top flite had some love last year on the cheaper balls. I know it’s not a top line ball but just figured I would pick them up for a couple captains choice tourneys upcoming.

Top Flight D2+ Feel's are still a solid ball for the money.

Posted:

Played a scramble with these balls. Iron distance was awful. Literally a club shorter I felt like every time. Green side chipping and putting wasn’t bad though. There was some wind while playing so gonna give them another try before totally kicking them to the curb

Posted:
  • SammyShafSammyShaf  369WRX Points: 118Members Posts: 369 Greens

I have not had the negative experience many have with this ball. I think they are on par with most other urethane balls. They are not chrome soft marshmallow soft. The feel a touch firmer than pro v1 or tp5. They perform well tee to green for me with the bonus of not feeling bad if you lose them. I usually restock during 2 for 25 sales. The only deterrent I have is that I play at a course where I don't lose as many balls now so the value of the 2 for pricing isn't as big of a deal. I always like the reaction of getting paired up with people who aren't gear junkies and watching their puzzled look when they see a Top Flite perform like a tour ball!

Posted:
    If anything can go right, it might!
  • cane700cane700  2028WRX Points: 137Members Posts: 2,028 Platinum Tees

Idk if its just me but I'm finding that the the gamer urethane is not as good as the previous Gamer Tour. Balloons alot more than other balls and green side it's not spinning the way the prior gen did.

Posted:
  • KirasdadKirasdad Kirasdad  754WRX Points: 106Members Posts: 754 Golden Tee

Have used all the Gamer Tour and Urethane variations and the bottom line is the ball just doesn’t go anywhere. It’s a “ no distance” ball. The performance around the green is acceptable for a low cost three piece but off the driver...just falls out of the air.

Posted:
    Current bag:
    Callaway BB 43.75” 10 degrees (actual 11 degree loft)
    PING G10 4 wood 17 degrees
    Sonatec 20 deg. hybrid
    PVG component 5-PW Apollo stepless steel
    Ram Watson SW
    Acushnet Bullseye putter

Advertisement
  • gohattersgohatters Golf is so much more fun from the "wrong side of the ball&q Naples, FL 146WRX Points: 91Members Posts: 146 Fairways

The OG Gamer V2s were one of the first cheap urethane balls I can remember. I used to love those. There are so many more options on the market now. But at the sale price I feel it’s still a good value. Unless you can get the “2fer” deal on the KSigs these are a good option. Perform well enough and are significantly cheaper than Cut/MG/and some of the other $20ish urethane balls. Maybe a touch shorter off the tee and not the absolute spiniest . But to me, a good compromise for under $1/ball

Posted:
  • storm319storm319 US 4043WRX Points: 308Members Posts: 4,043 Titanium Tees

On -, @gohatters said:

The OG Gamer V2s were one of the first cheap urethane balls I can remember. I used to love those. There are so many more options on the market now. But at the sale price I feel it’s still a good value. Unless you can get the “2fer” deal on the KSigs these are a good option. Perform well enough and are significantly cheaper than Cut/MG/and some of the other $20ish urethane balls. Maybe a touch shorter off the tee and not the absolute spiniest . But to me, a good compromise for under $1/ball

The Gamer V2 (released under Callaway ownership) had an ionomer cover. Only urethane covered balls under the Top Flite brand have been the DSG Gamer Tour and Gamer Urethane (fairly certain all urethane models by Spaulding were under the Strata and Hogan brands).

Posted:
  • gohattersgohatters Golf is so much more fun from the "wrong side of the ball&q Naples, FL 146WRX Points: 91Members Posts: 146 Fairways

On -, @storm319 wow. It’s been so long that I didn’t remember the V2 weren’t urethane
    Posted:
  • xkilgorextroutxxkilgorextroutx  338WRX Points: 68Handicap: 19.5Members Posts: 338 Greens

Agreed with all the others on the distance concerns. I have two boxes sitting in my closet that will stay there due to being at least a club shorter than pretty much every other ball they're sitting next to.

Posted:

Played 9 holes with the gamer today. Was a lot more pleased today than previously. Didn’t seem to be a club shorter at all. Will continue to test them out.

Posted:

Advertisement

After initial round with the gamer urethane. I didn’t find it to be shorter at all. But I can confirm the durability concerns. Probably on par with the Cut Blues I played in that respect. That said, I usually spray one or two OB every round so that point is kind of moot for me. All in all I’m happy for about $1/ball all-in. I’d probably go ksigs if I had that option. But I’m fine with these.

Amending this with an update. Have been using them for a month. Durability is better than I initially experienced. Have made it through a round with one ball in decent condition a few times. Iron/wedge spin is more than enough. Decent off the tee.

Posted:
    Post edited by gohatters on

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.