Bridgestone B XS; will Tiger's win blast it off ?

jwb10jwb10 Major WinnerMarsPosts: 890 ✭✭

It doesn't seem to have any real following, great ball, now seen everywhere: what will happen to sales ?

Comments

• jwb10jwb10 Major Winner MarsPosts: 890 ✭✭

I'm remembering that vacuum cleaner attachment that Jack used in ' 86; MacG couldn't make 'em fast enough....

• Mike_CMike_C Members Posts: 1,428 ✭✭

I was a Bridgestone guy for 10-12 years, until the Tour B XS. Just not the same, give me the 2014 B330S any day over the current B XS.

WITB
    2017 9.5 M2 Tour AD DI 7X
    Srixon Z F85 15* HZRDUS 75 Yellow 6.0
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 18* Fujikura Speeder 865 S
    Srixon U85 23* Recoil F5
    Srixon Z945 5-PW Recoil Proto 95 F5
    Cleveland RTX4 50 Mid Recoil 95 F5
    Callaway MD 4 56/10 S Recoil 125 F5
    Callaway MD 4 60/12 W Recoil Proto 125 F5
    Never Compromise Dinero  Baron 
    Srixon Z Star
  • flaghunting1987flaghunting1987 Members Posts: 24 ✭✭

IMO, any touring pro can make a switch to virtually any high-end ball company and it won't have all that much impact on their game. These guys are so precise with spin, ball flight, etc so they make it seem like the ball really matters. Let's be honest, Tiger probably still would've won with a V1 , TP5, Chromesoft...

• BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,081 ✭✭

Funny...I've never played a Bridgestone but found one. My son saw it in my truck and said "Isn't that what Tiger won with?" I think sales will really pick up. I do like the dimples that seem to have come from the old Top Flight(?)

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Srixon Z Star
    Maker's Mark
  • klbcecklbcec Posts: 495 ✭✭

@flaghunting1987 said:
    IMO, any touring pro can make a switch to virtually any high-end ball company and it won't have all that much impact on their game. These guys are so precise with spin, ball flight, etc so they make it seem like the ball really matters. Let's be honest, Tiger probably still would've won with a V1 , TP5, Chromesoft...

Don't forget Z-star :)

• c50soonerc50sooner Members Posts: 60 ✭✭

Sales will definitely go up considerably. I can attest to buying my first ever Bridgestone dozen over the weekend (yellow B XS). I'm sure plenty others did too.

Cobra F8+ 9.5* - Aldila NK2V Green SCallaway GBB 3 Wood - Kuro Kage TiNi SCallaway Apex 20, 23 Hybrid - Kuro Kage Black SSrixon Z355 4,6-PW - NS Pro 950GH SCallaway MD2 52,56 - DG S300Odyssey White Hot RX RossieBridgestone Tour B XS
  • ignitewvuignitewvu Members Posts: 2,040 ✭✭

@Mike_C said:
    I was a Bridgestone guy for 10-12 years, until the Tour B XS. Just not the same, give me the 2014 B330S any day over the current B XS.

It is a VERY different ball than the GOAT 2014 330S was....I still have about 10 boxes of the 2014, that thing was perfect.

M5 9.5 Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 6 Stiff
    M3 15 3 Wood Mitsubishi Tensei AV 75 Stiff
    M1 19 Hybrid Fujikura Atmos Blue 80HB Stiff
    M1 4i @ 39" KBS Tour 105
    Bridgestone J15DPF 5-PW DG Pro S300
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 52, 56 & 60 DGS200
    Odyessey Exo 7 34"
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • MahamiltoMahamilto NYCMembers Posts: 1,853 ✭✭

It will have to help the brand some... I mean... who didn't watch that shot on 16 looped over and over... nice big bridgestone B right there front and center at the end. Never underestimate the power of product placement.

Titleist TS3 - 10.5 - HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 6.5
    Titleist 917F2 - 15*, Diamana S+ LTD 80TX
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3-4-iron - KBS C-Taper 130x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 5-9-iron - DG AMT x100
    Titleist 718 AP2 PW, 50* - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM7 55* S-Grind - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM2 59.12* - DG Tour Issue x100
    Evnroll ER6-B
    Titleist AVX
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag
  • jwb10jwb10 Major Winner MarsPosts: 890 ✭✭

It's a great ball, not there are any bad one in the upper echelon. I still use ProV, but I did use the BXS for a good while and it did as it was told. I think sales will triple

• ZNDavisZNDavis Members Posts: 40 ✭✭

Ordered my 4 dozen before the weekend and got delivered today :) such a solid ball. I've put it head to head against the TP5, ProV1, CS and it always comes out on top

Taylormade M3 • Ping G25 23° hybrid • Titleist T-MB 2 iron • Bridgestone J40 DPC 4 - 9 irons
    Titleist Vokey SM5 46°, 50°, 54° wedges • Taylormade Hi-Toe 58° wedge • Taylormade Spider Tour Red
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,005 ✭✭

@BeerPerHole said:
    Funny...I've never played a Bridgestone but found one. My son saw it in my truck and said "Isn't that what Tiger won with?" I think sales will really pick up. I do like the dimples that seem to have come from the old Top Flight(?)

Some Precept (Bridgestone) golf balls had the dimple in dimple design back in the mid 1990's.

• 2ball2ball LEFTY Members Posts: 585 ✭✭

@flaghunting1987 said:

• 2ball2ball LEFTY Members Posts: 585 ✭✭

Rickie had to reshaft his irons after he switched balls

@2ball said:

No, he put new shafts in this last week before the Masters to increase spin. Had nothing to do with him switching balls in January. If it was the ball he would play the TP5 and not the TP5x for more spin.

• scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & HoustonMembers Posts: 2,274 ✭✭

@flaghunting1987 said:

@2ball said:

No, he put new shafts in this last week before the Masters to increase spin. Had nothing to do with him switching balls in January. If it was the ball he would play the TP5 and not the TP5x for more spin.

from what I read he liked the lower spin off driver etc but needed more for the mid irons. it certainly has something to do with the ball.

Look at Bubba with Volvik, he struggled massively.

The ball is very important for a golfer!

• Taylormade M3 8.5* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M2 Tour 14* Speeder TS 8.2X
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 46*F, 50*F C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 54*M, 60*M S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,081 ✭✭

I remember as soon as the word hit that Ricky had switched to the TP5x I noticed he wasn't holding greens. Did anybody else notice that? Love watching that guy play...

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Srixon Z Star
    Maker's Mark
  • MattM97MattM97 Members Posts: 210 ✭✭

@flaghunting1987 said:

What about Bubba Watson going from ProV1x to the Volvik S4 in 2017 then back to the ProV1x? 2017 wasn't exactly a good year for him, not saying it was just a ball but if it was there's proof there is impact.

WITB - Lefty
    Driver: << Testing in Progress >>
    ulAVttu.png - F7 3W - 15.5D - Tensei Blue 60S
    0kZapzq.png- 816 H1 - 21 - Diamana S+ 70R
    Tghg11i.jpg - Z585 4-7 / Z785 8-PW - AMT White Tour S300
    Wedges:
    • cKIO92v.png- MD3 - 51
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide 2.0 Stealth - 56
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide - 60

Putter: q8m5K5T.png - E-3
    taylormade-small.jpg - TP5x or urp3gG8.png - MTB Red
    LhHjFh3.png - Pioneer
  • danielryanwdanielryanw Posts: 302 ✭✭

@scott_Donald said:

@flaghunting1987 said:

@2ball said:

from what I read he liked the lower spin off driver etc but needed more for the mid irons. it certainly has something to do with the ball.

Rickie’s shaft change was a direct result of the ball change.
    The ball is THE most important piece of equipment for touring pros.

M3 8.5* | Synergy Black Proto 70tx
    M2 T3 13* DF | Tensei Pro Blue 80tx
    P790 2 UDI 17* | Tensei Pro White Hy 90tx
    '17 M1 20* hybrid | UST VTS Black 100hx
    P790 5-PW | PX 6.5
    SM7 50*F 54*S 58*D | S400 TI Onyx
    Spider Tour Black
  • kcd38kcd38 Members Posts: 270 ClubWRX

great ball. Even the tour B x is a great ball, just slightly firmer.
    I go back and forth between the tour b xs and the pro v1.

WITB:
    Driver - PING G400 LST 8.5, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0
    3 Wood - PING G400 14.5, Ping Tour 75 S
    Hybrid - Ping G410 19 degree, Tensei CK Blue 80 HY or Taylormade P790 UDI, HZRDUS Black 6.0
    4-PW - Mizuno MP 18 MMC 4 iron, Mizuno MP 18 SC 5-PW, KBS C Taper 130 x
    Wedges - Vokey SM7 52 F, 56 F, 60 D (bent to 51, 55)
    Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black

@scott_Donald said:

@flaghunting1987 said:

@2ball said:

I am not saying the ball doesn't matter, I am simply saying TOP TIER balls as I mentioned would be able to be interchangeable from a performance standpoint. I'd bet $85k that Tiger would still have won if he played the V1, TP5, Chromesoft. Can't even compare VOLVIK, come on now lol. That's like comparing a Bentley to a Toyota Camry

@MattM97 said:

@flaghunting1987 said:

What about Bubba Watson going from ProV1x to the Volvik S4 in 2017 then back to the ProV1x? 2017 wasn't exactly a good year for him, not saying it was just a ball but if it was there's proof there is impact.

Come on, really? Can't even compare the 2... That's like going from driving a ferrari to a geo metro. No duh there will be a significant performance change. I was talking about TOP TIER balls across the board. Obviously I know the ball is very important to each player, but I would like to think that DJ, Rory, Tiger etc would be able to play either of the ones I mentioned and still be successful.

• MattM97MattM97 Members Posts: 210 ✭✭

@flaghunting1987 said:

@MattM97 said:

@flaghunting1987 said:

Come on, really? Can't even compare the 2... That's like going from driving a ferrari to a geo metro. No duh there will be a significant performance change. I was talking about TOP TIER balls across the board. Obviously I know the ball is very important to each player, but I would like to think that DJ, Rory, Tiger etc would be able to play either of the ones I mentioned and still be successful.

The S4 would be considered Volvik's top tier ball and some do consider it a top tier ball. It's for sure a premium ball so my point stands.

WITB - Lefty
    Driver: << Testing in Progress >>
    ulAVttu.png - F7 3W - 15.5D - Tensei Blue 60S
    0kZapzq.png- 816 H1 - 21 - Diamana S+ 70R
    Tghg11i.jpg - Z585 4-7 / Z785 8-PW - AMT White Tour S300
    Wedges:
    • cKIO92v.png- MD3 - 51
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide 2.0 Stealth - 56
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide - 60

Putter: q8m5K5T.png - E-3
    taylormade-small.jpg - TP5x or urp3gG8.png - MTB Red
    LhHjFh3.png - Pioneer
  • arbeckarbeck SeattlePosts: 344 ✭✭

I don't think even most players would have a hard time adjusting to the Volvik balls. The S3 and S4 are basically the same as every other tour level ball. 3/4 piece construction with a urethane cover. Bubba is not most players though. The guy is a total weirdo and I could see him having a hard time adjusting to anything new.

Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,606 ✭✭

another big BIG fan here of the older Bridgestone balls, the 330s and the tour as well

Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Glide SS 53* & ES 59* Wrx SF125s
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,075 ✭✭

Great ball on a warm day or softer course but lacks grip when the greens firm up.

• leftylamaleftylama Members Posts: 20 ✭✭

Never had a problem stopping on greens with the XS. Currently using the 2018 Pro V1 (due to runout specials) and I don't think it stops as well as the Bridgie.

• hammergolfhammergolf Posts: 89 ClubWRX

I tried one on Saturday. Immediately noticed it had a great feel off the driver, and went a little further. I was surprised where my driver ended up. I was in range to go for the green in two, and hit a thin 3 wd I thought would be 20 yds short. Got up to my ball and it was just short of the front. Again, based on my usual ball it would not have went that far. Hit my chip up to gimme and noticed the great feel and spin. I came home and ordered a dozen with a gift card I had left. Looking forward to playing with them more this weekend.

Ping i25 10.5 Graphite Design DI-6
    Ping G25 4 wd Aldila NVS 65
    Ping i25 hybrid 19*, 23* Aldila NVS 85
    Ping G25 5-PW Steelfiber i95
    Ping Tour S Raw 50*, 56*, 60* KBS Tour 90
    Rife Barbados
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,150 ✭✭

Was just at my store yesterday (day after Masters) and they seemed to be very well stocked. You don't see many people using these balls out in San Diego. Everyone has their TP5s, Truvis, ProV1s, and the new guys on the block having a go at golf with range balls as their game ball. I'm not saying they are looked over, just not as popular. I definitely see them used more in New England when I play up there.
    I would really like to give these a whirl. I would like to give all of the Bridgestone balls a fair and in depth trial.
    Kuchar - Tour B XS
    Lexi - Tour B X
    Tiger - Tour B XS
    Dechambeau - Tour B X
    Couples - Tour B XS
    Cheyenne Woods (Tigers Niece or some relation I think) - Tour B RX
    You have some absolutely amazing players there playing a very different and distinguished ball than most of the rest of the pack. Tiger undoubtedly went with the familiar feel from ball history as they made Nike balls previously and I am sure is getting a fat check. Dechambeau, I am sure is probably the only one of the rest that put in serious serious time trying out golf balls and comparing. The dude is a full on nerd but, has every facet down to a number and figure in his mind. Fred Couple and Kuchar are great players in their own respect. Lexi is lexi and hits the ball a mile.
    I'm gonna give these a try after I run out of my TP5 and Nike RZN Tour Platinum. But I also play off 17 so, I might not know what I'm talking about.

• ZNDavisZNDavis Members Posts: 40 ✭✭

Don't forget ol' Sneds shooting a 59 with the Tour B X

Taylormade M3 • Ping G25 23° hybrid • Titleist T-MB 2 iron • Bridgestone J40 DPC 4 - 9 irons
    Titleist Vokey SM5 46°, 50°, 54° wedges • Taylormade Hi-Toe 58° wedge • Taylormade Spider Tour Red
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • FlashbackPTFlashbackPT ClubWRX Posts: 29 ClubWRX

How do the Tour B X and Tour B XS compare to other premium balls, i.e. Pro V1, Pro V1x, TP5, TP5x, etc., with regard to launch, spin, softness, etc?