PGA championship in MAY!!!?????

Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,752 ✭✭

I don''t like it. they should put it back to August because i said so.

Should be fun though :) Bethpage... :) :)

Cobra LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
Machine LN M6

Comments

• MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,374 ✭✭

I don't like it either. 8 full months without a major.

Cobra F8+ 8.0 w/Aldila NV65 2kxV
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Steelhead XR 18 w/S300
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
  • 3jacker3jacker Members Posts: 1,004 ✭✭

Put me in the "like it" camp. Gives it more interest, and takes it out of that late-summer spot where it seems interest has waned.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
    TM V-Steel 4wd Protopype 80X
    Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
    Callaway Apex MB 4-PW KBS C-Taper X
    Cleveland 52*/58* CG10 KBS C-Taper X
    Sizemore XB-1
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,451 ✭✭

cannot wait to go to this after the masters ---

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set +1/D) / DF 70TX tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,550 ClubWRX

I would love to attend the PGA at Bethpage Black. Heck, I'd like to play it!

Taylormade M3 (2018 tour head) 9.9 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour  AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
    Ben Hogan '99 Apex Blades (3-PW) Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Miura 52* GW KBS Tour stiff
    Scratch Golf LW Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
    BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips
  • TreyWingbatTreyWingbat Members Posts: 433 ✭✭

At Bethpage Black, the red-headed step-child is more of a brunette first-child on steroids.

The average WRX'er drives it 342, and hits a 7-iron 220.*
    *Distances measured in feet, not yards.
    edited Apr 15, 2019 2:40pm #8

@RobotDoctor said:

it's the longest, most grueling, fun round of golf lol

i've played it numerous times and every time is a new experience. you get thru the front, standing on 10 tee...going...oh well, that wasn't too bad...then you have 10, 11 (almost always into the wind, tee shot is tight with bunkers right and left), 12 as brutal long par 4's.

if it's wet - add 500-600 to the card. if it's dry, only add 200 lol

785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400

• johnsegjohnseg Members Posts: 304 ✭✭

I am betting the players won't like the compressed summer schedule. You have the Open, WGC, Wyndham, Playoffs. Either the Wyndham or the Northern Trust will be pretty short on the top guys.

• ChoclabChoclab Members Posts: 358 ✭✭

Doesn't matter the month as long as is TNT still doing it. Ugh.

Wilson F5 driver, Adams Super LS 3W, Mizuno MP-37/Wilson FG51, Miz Mp raw 56, Wilson 8813

@Choclab said:
    Doesn't matter the month as long as is TNT still doing it. Ugh.

no truer words lol

785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400

• TreyWingbatTreyWingbat Members Posts: 433 ✭✭

CBS still does the production for TNT. Just like they produce the telecast for ESPN at the Masters, and early round coverage for the Golf Channel when they have the main weekend coverage for Tour events.
    They don't bring in separate production equipment and techs between Friday night and Saturday to switch things, that would be impractical.

The average WRX'er drives it 342, and hits a 7-iron 220.*
    *Distances measured in feet, not yards.
  • callawayjaycallawayjay Goofiest Left Handed Swing Ever Members Posts: 1,592 ✭✭

It opens up other parts of the country to host it. I’m for it for sure

• lumberman2462lumberman2462 Members Posts: 5,332 ✭✭

I think this will probably help the PGA. There are a lot of courses that are deserving of a major and this move opens up a few.

SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,337 ✭✭

@gioguy21 said:

@RobotDoctor said:

i've played it numerous times and every time is a new experience. you get thru the front, standing on 10 tee...going...oh well, that wasn't too bad...then you have 10, 11 (almost always into the wind, tee shot is tight with bunkers right and left), 12 as brutal long par 4's.

I think that it will be wet and cold, and only the very longest drivers will have a chance. Thinking Brooks, DJ, maybe Rory if he can figure out the greens.
    Tiger? Probably no chance on this course in May against the kids.

Boyhood, like measles, is one of those complaints which a man should catch young and have done with it, for when it comes in middle life it is apt to be serious. - P. G. Wodehouse
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,337 ✭✭
    edited Apr 15, 2019 3:10pm #16

@lumberman2462 said:
    I think this will probably help the PGA. There are a lot of courses that are deserving of a major and this move opens up a few.

Yes, and it probably will be the end of Northeast courses once they play in Rochester in May.

Edit: as a matter of fact, I just checked the long range forecast for Long Island and I see lots of rain and 60* temperatures through the end of April. It will be tough to get Bethpage firm by mid-May, but I'll let local residents chime in.

Boyhood, like measles, is one of those complaints which a man should catch young and have done with it, for when it comes in middle life it is apt to be serious. - P. G. Wodehouse
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.

@gvogel said:

@gioguy21 said:

@RobotDoctor said:

I think that it will be wet and cold, and only the very longest drivers will have a chance. Thinking Brooks, DJ, maybe Rory if he can figure out the greens.

it won't be cold...chilly maybe but, certainly not cold. definitely warmer than it was at the match play. don't write off tiger - his iron game into those greens will be just fine.

785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400

• 1putt2win21putt2win2 Members Posts: 1,356 ✭✭

i like it, always felt weird after augusta we had to wait 2 months for the next major. now they're stacked one after another

• FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,701 ✭✭

Other than the venue - all good.

Bethpage - chop course.

• wmblake2000wmblake2000 Members Posts: 5,710 ✭✭

I like the PGA in May (if weather is good!). It creates a rhythm from Players to Open. 1x/month. Especially now after Tiger's win, I am eager to see what happens next. But yeah, from July to April (March, if you like Players) is a long dry spell.

Ping GMax 400 10.5
    Callawy Epic 5W
    Callaway X-hot 3,4 h
    Mizuno FliHi 5 iron
    Mizuno MP4 6-W
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

• redfirebird08redfirebird08 Members Posts: 7,916 ✭✭

I like the move. It always seemed weird to me that we had 2 solid months with no majors after the Masters. The schedule is way more organized now to have all 4 majors in consecutive months from April to July. I also like the PLAYERS being in March as a warmup for the majors. That's how it was for a long time and I think it's a better fit in that spot.

• vjswingvjswing Members Posts: 1,406 ✭✭

They did move the PGA back in 2016 when there was the scheduling conflict with the Olympics, and I think that kind of got lost in the shuffle, maybe partly because Jimmy Walker ended up winning it. The fact that it came 2 weeks after the Open probably didn't help either. I'm thinking this year's build-up will HUGE, so we shouldn't have to deal with those issues again.

• King_SlenderKing_Slender Members Posts: 1,454 ✭✭

Love the new schedule:
    March - The Players
    April - The Masters
    May - PGA
    June - US Open
    July - The (British) Open
    August/September - Fed Ex Playoffs / Ryder Cup / President's Cup

I think this new schedule helps on a couple fronts - it gives room to move the Fed Ex Playoffs forward a week or two so that it's not all packed so close to the Ryder Cup. American players were playing like 5 of 6 weeks in many cases last year. In Olympic years it also gives more wiggle room.

• HillbillyInBCHillbillyInBC Members Posts: 169 ✭✭

All about moving the playoffs to August when they won't be overshadowed by football.

• smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,007 ✭✭

It should be in August and it should be played somewhere that is miserably hot, preferably in the center of the country. Colonial, Bellerive, Southern Hills, etc.

PGA you need a hook. Having it at run of the mill courses at a congested time of year is not how you grow interest in your tournament.

• redfirebird08redfirebird08 Members Posts: 7,916 ✭✭

@vjswing said:
    They did move the PGA back in 2016 when there was the scheduling conflict with the Olympics, and I think that kind of got lost in the shuffle, maybe partly because Jimmy Walker ended up winning it. The fact that it came 2 weeks after the Open probably didn't help either. I'm thinking this year's build-up will HUGE, so we shouldn't have to deal with those issues again.

The PGA of America could not ask for a better scenario in their move to May this year. Tiger wins the Masters in April and now the PGA is played at a course where he won a major in the past. The hype will be off the charts. Even if he finishes 20th or something, they still get the buzz leading into it from his performance at Augusta this year mixed with his history at Bethpage.

• MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSMMembers Posts: 1,298 ✭✭

I like the move to May. Come August, all I really want to do is be on a golf course, not watch a major since that's prime season in the upper Midwest. This also means I don't have to pretend to care about the playoffs while I could be watching football.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.
  • ctsgolfctsgolf Members Posts: 72 ✭✭

I'm curious how Bethpage is going to play condition-wise. I live upstate and, if we're lucky, courses will start greening up by early May.

Taylormade M1  Speeder 661 Evo
    Ping G  Aldila NV 75s
    Titleist T-MB 20°  DG S400
    Titleist 695CB  DG S300 (4-PW)
    Cleveland RTX 2.0  52°, 56°, 60°
    Miura  KM-006 

6/10; Monroe Invitational [Q]  |  Monroe Golf Club (NY)
    6/22; (RDGA) District Champ [Q]  |  FarView Golf Course (NY)
    6/30; (NYSGA) Men's Amateur [Q]  |  Wayne Hills Country Club (NY)

• MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,374 ✭✭

@ctsgolf said:
    I'm curious how Bethpage is going to play condition-wise. I live upstate and, if we're lucky, courses will start greening up by early May.

May is a bit of a guessing game in the northeast, at least here anyways though new York isn't that far away.

Can be pretty windy and rainy. And not always that warm. But you get some really nice days too. It's a real "changing of the seasons" month

Cobra F8+ 8.0 w/Aldila NV65 2kxV
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Steelhead XR 18 w/S300
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
  • 3jacker3jacker Members Posts: 1,004 ✭✭

@gvogel said:

@gioguy21 said:

@RobotDoctor said:

He hits it plenty long enough. Straight enough will be the question.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
    TM V-Steel 4wd Protopype 80X
    Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
    Callaway Apex MB 4-PW KBS C-Taper X
    Cleveland 52*/58* CG10 KBS C-Taper X
    Sizemore XB-1