"Sort By" options in advanced search

Go_Time ·  
Go_TimeGo_Time Members  2585WRX Points: 311Posts: 2,585 Titanium Tees

Please re-enable the "Sort By" options in the advanced search, so that we can find topics by the most recent, or most replies, or most relevance, etc etc

Posted:

Answers

• GxgolferGxgolfer Site Founder & Co-Owner SF Bay Area, CARules Official, Administrator  27126WRX Points: 468Posts: 27,126 Marshals

Can you please provide a screen shot? Was this part of this forum software?

Posted:
    Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
    Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
    BST AD Help
    If you have a general help question, post here:
    GolfWRX Website Help Desk
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers  6911WRX Points: 1,236Handicap: 3.9-9.3-7.7 (Health issue)Posts: 6,911 Titanium Tees

On -, @Go_Time said:

Please re-enable the "Sort By" options in the advanced search, so that we can find topics by the most recent, or most replies, or most relevance, etc etc

Relevance ? How would the software know which were "relevant" ?

Most replies ? Seriously ?

Just curious. Which of those options do you miss and what did you use it/them for ?

Posted:
  • Go_TimeGo_Time Members  2585WRX Points: 311Posts: 2,585 Titanium Tees

On -, @Gxgolfer said:

I can't post a screenshot as it was part of the old software. In the advanced search it was one of the last options to select. It's a pretty standard feature of whatever suite of software/forum service that the site previously used. Yes, it was a feature of the previous software here.

Posted:

On -, @nsxguy said:

On -, @Go_Time said:

Just curious. Which of those options do you miss and what did you use it/them for ?

Yes, seriously.

Lots of people use the sort by replies function. If I'm searching for topic X, I don't want to open up 10+ threads with few replies, or scroll through pages of results looking for the "big" thread. I want to be able to quickly find the "big" thread on topic X that has hundreds of replies so I can learn everything I want to know about that topic in one place.

For example, if I am interested in learning about the Accra TZ6 shaft....I can search "TZ6" in the title, then open a bunch of threads and search through a bunch of results, OR, I can sort by replies and find the thread that GolfWRX started with 300+ replies, which probably has all the information and questions already answered that I might have.

I don't know what algorithm the phpBB or Vbulletin folks use to determine relevance in their search results. That's a question for them.

Posted:
  • GxgolferGxgolfer Site Founder & Co-Owner SF Bay Area, CARules Official, Administrator  27126WRX Points: 468Posts: 27,126 Marshals

On -, @Go_Time said:

On -, @Gxgolfer said:

I can't post a screenshot as it was part of the old software. In the advanced search it was one of the last options to select. It's a pretty standard feature of whatever suite of software/forum service that the site previously used. Yes, it was a feature of the previous software here.

Please post a screenshot so we can add it as a request. It will need to be a modification and added to the list.

Posted:
    Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
    BST AD Help
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers  6911WRX Points: 1,236Handicap: 3.9-9.3-7.7 (Health issue)Posts: 6,911 Titanium Tees

On -, @Go_Time said:

On -, @nsxguy said:

On -, @Go_Time said:

Yes, seriously.

Lots of people use the sort by replies function. If I'm searching for topic X, I don't want to open up 10+ threads with few replies, or scroll through pages of results looking for the "big" thread. I want to be able to quickly find the "big" thread on topic X that has hundreds of replies so I can learn everything I want to know about that topic in one place.

For example, if I am interested in learning about the Accra TZ6 shaft....I can search "TZ6" in the title, then open a bunch of threads and search through a bunch of results, OR, I can sort by replies and find the thread that GolfWRX started with 300+ replies, which probably has all the information and questions already answered that I might have.

I don't know what algorithm the phpBB or Vbulletin folks use to determine relevance in their search results. That's a question for them.

Still not quite sure what the problem is.

If you were looking for the Accra shaft, wouldn't you drill down to the forum ? Tech ? BST ? Equipment ? Tour ?

Personally I've never found the "Relevance" function to actually BE relevant. That typically takes more "logic power" than board software can manage. Heck, even Google doesn't get it right ALL the time.

And "Replies". Don't even recall any board search having that as an option - but I guess you could be right.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @nsxguy said:

On -, @Go_Time said:

On -, @nsxguy said:

On -, @Go_Time said:

Yes, seriously.

If you were looking for the Accra shaft, wouldn't you drill down to the forum ? Tech ? BST ? Equipment ? Tour ?

Personally I've never found the "Relevance" function to actually BE relevant. That typically takes more "logic power" than board software can manage. Heck, even Google doesn't get it right ALL the time.

And "Replies". Don't even recall any board search having that as an option - but I guess you could be right.

The very forum we're posting on had the option to sort by replies but I guess i'll go F myself.

Posted:

On -, @Go_Time said:

On -, @nsxguy said:

On -, @Go_Time said:

On -, @nsxguy said:

On -, @Go_Time said:

Yes, seriously.

The very forum we're posting on had the option to sort by replies but I guess i'll go F myself.

You can if you want to but I really don't understand the hostility. NOW you're talking about forum listings ???

So on the old board, in the forum LISTINGS, one could sort by "# of replies" ? Didn't know that.

But your first post mentioned "Advanced Search". That is what I was replying/referring to.

Sorry for upsetting you. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Posted:
  • WoodersonWooderson Members  2100WRX Points: 221Handicap: 13Posts: 2,100 Platinum Tees

On -, @nsxguy said:

On -, @Go_Time said:

On -, @nsxguy said:

On -, @Go_Time said:

On -, @nsxguy said:

On -, @Go_Time said:

Yes, seriously.

You can if you want to but I really don't understand the hostility. NOW you're talking about forum listings ???

So on the old board, in the forum LISTINGS, one could sort by "# of replies" ? Didn't know that.

But your first post mentioned "Advanced Search". That is what I was replying/referring to.

Seriously? Just because you didn't know of a feature doesn't make it rediculous or pointless. It was very valuable to many people and they have asked for suggestions to make the board bettet. So yes, lots of us would love to have the ability to sort forum postings AND our search results by things such as original date posted, last posted to, and number of replies. That was possible with the old software and was phenomenal.

Posted:
    Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
    Ping G410 LST 10.5° EF White 65s 44.5"
    Ping G410 LST 14.5° EF White 75s
    Ping G410 21° EF White 75s
    Ping G410 22°/25°/30° Hybrid EF White
    TaylorMade p790 7-PW Project X LZ 6.0
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth GW/SW/LW
    Piretti Potenza/Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E

On -, @Wooderson said:

On -, @nsxguy said:

On -, @Go_Time said:

On -, @nsxguy said:

On -, @Go_Time said:

On -, @nsxguy said:

On -, @Go_Time said:

Yes, seriously.

Seriously? Just because you didn't know of a feature doesn't make it rediculous or pointless. It was very valuable to many people and they have asked for suggestions to make the board bettet. So yes, lots of us would love to have the ability to sort forum postings AND our search results by things such as original date posted, last posted to, and number of replies. That was possible with the old software and was phenomenal.

LOL

Firstly, I don't recall using the word pointless or ridiculous. But now that you mention it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

But seriously ? You need to wake up a thread that was "dead" for over a week to pick a fight with me ? Even after I apologized to him for upsetting him ? LOL You couldn't just quote him and say "+1 on the sort by replies idea" ? LOL

"Lots of you" ? LOL I count 2.

Anyway, you guys have made you desires known. Maybe you'll get what you want. Maybe not. Guess time will tell.

You enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Posted:
  • topsparktopspark Members  131WRX Points: 54Posts: 131 Fairways

I also agree with go time.
    The function to select posts since last visit was a valuable option

Posted:

Advertisement

I don’t believe that was what he was referring too. Once you mark forums read, then you will see new posts from last visit.

Sort order is on the list.

Posted:
    BST AD Help

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.