"Sort By" options in advanced search

Please re-enable the "Sort By" options in the advanced search, so that we can find topics by the most recent, or most replies, or most relevance, etc etc

Answers

• GxgolferGxgolfer Site Founder & Co-Owner SF Bay Area, CARules Official, Administrator Posts: 26,544 admin

Can you please provide a screen shot? Was this part of this forum software?

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
    Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
    BST AD Help
    If you have a general help question, post here:
    GolfWRX Website Help Desk
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,274 ✭✭
    edited Apr 16, 2019 2:34am #3

@Go_Time said:
    Please re-enable the "Sort By" options in the advanced search, so that we can find topics by the most recent, or most replies, or most relevance, etc etc

Relevance ? How would the software know which were "relevant" ?

Most replies ? Seriously ?

Just curious. Which of those options do you miss and what did you use it/them for ?

ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
    Titleist AVX
  • Go_TimeGo_Time _ Members Posts: 2,267 ✭✭
    edited Apr 16, 2019 10:42am #4

@Gxgolfer said:

I can't post a screenshot as it was part of the old software. In the advanced search it was one of the last options to select. It's a pretty standard feature of whatever suite of software/forum service that the site previously used. Yes, it was a feature of the previous software here.

• Go_TimeGo_Time _ Members Posts: 2,267 ✭✭

@nsxguy said:

@Go_Time said:

Just curious. Which of those options do you miss and what did you use it/them for ?

Yes, seriously.

Lots of people use the sort by replies function. If I'm searching for topic X, I don't want to open up 10+ threads with few replies, or scroll through pages of results looking for the "big" thread. I want to be able to quickly find the "big" thread on topic X that has hundreds of replies so I can learn everything I want to know about that topic in one place.

For example, if I am interested in learning about the Accra TZ6 shaft....I can search "TZ6" in the title, then open a bunch of threads and search through a bunch of results, OR, I can sort by replies and find the thread that GolfWRX started with 300+ replies, which probably has all the information and questions already answered that I might have.

I don't know what algorithm the phpBB or Vbulletin folks use to determine relevance in their search results. That's a question for them.

• GxgolferGxgolfer Site Founder & Co-Owner SF Bay Area, CARules Official, Administrator Posts: 26,544 admin

@Go_Time said:

@Gxgolfer said:

I can't post a screenshot as it was part of the old software. In the advanced search it was one of the last options to select. It's a pretty standard feature of whatever suite of software/forum service that the site previously used. Yes, it was a feature of the previous software here.

Please post a screenshot so we can add it as a request. It will need to be a modification and added to the list.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
    Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
    BST AD Help
    If you have a general help question, post here:
    GolfWRX Website Help Desk
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,274 ✭✭

@Go_Time said:

@nsxguy said:

@Go_Time said:

Yes, seriously.

Lots of people use the sort by replies function. If I'm searching for topic X, I don't want to open up 10+ threads with few replies, or scroll through pages of results looking for the "big" thread. I want to be able to quickly find the "big" thread on topic X that has hundreds of replies so I can learn everything I want to know about that topic in one place.

For example, if I am interested in learning about the Accra TZ6 shaft....I can search "TZ6" in the title, then open a bunch of threads and search through a bunch of results, OR, I can sort by replies and find the thread that GolfWRX started with 300+ replies, which probably has all the information and questions already answered that I might have.

I don't know what algorithm the phpBB or Vbulletin folks use to determine relevance in their search results. That's a question for them.

Still not quite sure what the problem is.

If you were looking for the Accra shaft, wouldn't you drill down to the forum ? Tech ? BST ? Equipment ? Tour ?

Personally I've never found the "Relevance" function to actually BE relevant. That typically takes more "logic power" than board software can manage. Heck, even Google doesn't get it right ALL the time.

And "Replies". Don't even recall any board search having that as an option - but I guess you could be right.

ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
    Titleist AVX