"Worn out" Wedges?

kthomaskthomas Members Posts: 38 ✭✭
edited Apr 16, 2019 1:54am in WRX Club Techs #1

Just trying to understand how potentially "worn out" wedges may effect my game. Two of my wedges that see the highest use, Titleist SM4 52* and 58*, are pretty old and have seen a lot of use throughout the years. They're rusted, and I don't even know how many rounds they've seen. I bought them off my cousin many, many years ago - I'm sure he put a lot of rounds on them as he was on a junior competitive circuit at the time, trying to eventually make a run at having a career in the game. They've been in my bag for what seems like 10+ years.

I've been an "on and off" golfer for the past 20 years, but have really taken up the sport again over the past year since moving to AZ. Based on my fear of these wedges being potentially "worn out", I bought a groove sharpening tool and sharpened these two wedges up. I'm not a competitive golfer, and although I consider myself a "good ball striker" for a mid-high handicap, I usually don't take score.

My ball striking has been really good this past year (for me, a casual mid-high handicap player), with the irons and wedges being the most consistently well struck clubs in my bag. My short game (putting and wedges) is usually the weakest component of my game - but a lot more so due to strategy and poor decision making than actual ball striking. But I can't help but wonder if new wedges, paired with lots of greenside practice and better strategy implementation, would help make my short game better - perhaps mine are "worn out" and not working for me as much as they should?

Questions:
1. At the end of the day, would it really be worthwhile to update my wedges? Would I see any greenside improvement, and thus potentially enjoy the game more? Or should I keep rocking my old wedges, and "freshen them up" every once in a while with a groove sharpener? How much of a difference would it really make at the end of the day?
2. If the answer to the above is yes, what wedges are worth considering? Right now on my potential list would be Vokeys, Ping Glides, Taylormade MG's - anything else? FYI, I've been turning over a new leaf lately and trying to be more frugal with the purchase of a new house, so big bonus for any money I can save. I did recently buy a Mizuno 52* and 58* T7 wedges, but I have no confidence with them. My ball striking is much, much better with the Vokeys. I would hate to repeat that mistake, as I currently have those Mizuno wedges collecting dust in my shed.

Comments

• MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members Posts: 1,582 ✭✭

On this site if your asking if you should update a club you already know the answer. Of course you can show the wife that all these people say you need to update

Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Speedline Super LS
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Adams XTD 4-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,083 ✭✭

I suggest you find a place you can hit demo wedges off the turf and get the right grinds for your game. That would be the biggest improvement club wise you will get. Fresh grooves wont mean a thing if you dont get the right grind. There is a chance the sm4 do not fit you now. Especially since you moved to AZ. I wouldnt play same grind in AZ or FL as I do in Ohio!

They to find a driving range, golf course or golf store that has practice area that can fit you for the correct wedges. Titleist has a dealer locator you can use and then just call and ask. Outdoor is key

PING G410 9* PX Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    PING G410 LST 3w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 5w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 4-PW AWT 2 0 stiff
    PING Stealth Glide 2.0 50ss/54ss/58ss
    PING Sigam G Tyne
  • Jon HJon H Members Posts: 1,632 ✭✭

Just updated a couple of my wedges, changed the grinds so I hope that will help. Going from Sm5's - Sm7's.

Callaway GBB Epic 9*, Aldila Rogue
    Ping i25 3w, G400 3hy
    Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW
    Vokey 50* SM7 F, 56* SM7 S, 61* SM5 Raw M
    Newport 2 Select
  • Mr. GrumpyMr. Grumpy The Quintana Changeup, sit em dwn Members Posts: 2,264 ✭✭

Vokey had a cool little graphic that showed theoretical shots of new vs 72 (I think) round wedges.. Looked pretty cut and dry, but it's part of their marketing so take it with a grain of salt. I agree with Layman on grinds, but I don't have the patience to get fit, or figure it out. I will say that I have enjoyed some success differences between grinds.

• PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,390 ✭✭

Worn out is subjective based on technique or lack thereof. I have two SM6 Vokey's wedges in the bag and wedges that are over thirty years old with worn marks on the face. The old wedges still spin today's ball because I understand how to manipulate the face and impact the ball. B)

• Titleist TS2 9.5, Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec 60 "S"
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, Blueboard 83 x5ct,"S"
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, Tour AD Utility, "S"
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-PW, C-Taper Tour
    • SM6 F-52*, C-Taper Tour
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1

• dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,013 ✭✭
    edited Apr 16, 2019 6:45pm #7

I play mine till the chrome wears off and the face starts to rust. It usually takes about 4 years. Could I keep playing them? sure. Does it affect spin? Probably some. But at this point it's more mental seeing the worn face than anything.

I think Tiger gets a new wedge every couple of tournaments. Other pros probably switch at least 3-4 times a year. But they play for a living and get free clubs.

But to answer your questions, yes spin diminishes over time, as the milling wears off the face clean lie spin decreases, as the edges of the grooves get worn spin decreases. Is it enough to affect your game, that's the question. If you use a hard covered ball I question whether it makes any difference. If you play fast firm greens and you rely on spin to stop the ball it probably makes a bigger difference.

I read somewhere once that Tiger is more concerned about the bounce wearing down on his wedge than the grooves.

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • jholzjholz Members Posts: 1,296 ✭✭

It's a rare day that I agree with Pepperturbo, but today is one of those days.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
    Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
    Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
    5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
    Vokey Design 200 Series 52* Stock Wedge (?)
    Cleveland CG15 Oilcan 56* Stock Wedge
    Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
    Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize
  • mootrailmootrail Posts: 495 ✭✭

@Pepperturbo said:
    Worn out is subjective based on technique or lack thereof. I have two SM6 Vokey's wedges in the bag and wedges that are over thirty years old with worn marks on the face. The old wedges still spin today's ball because I understand how to manipulate the face and impact the ball. B)

Not to mention the fact that many old wedges had better grooves and why my old 200 Series Vokeys out spun my SM5s (long gone now).

• MKPAPAMKPAPA Long Beach, CaliforniaClubWRX Posts: 390 ClubWRX
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,169 ✭✭

You might look for a local Titleist Thursday event. At many courses where the pro(s) are sponsored by Titleist, you can schedule a fitting/club testing on select Thursdays. If you got one for wedges, you could do a side-by-side with your current wedges and the Vokey offerings - compare lofts and sole grinds, and distance gapping.
    As for grooves: worn-out grooves show up most on shots not off the fairway - don't spin as much. For many golfers, the quickest to wear out would be the SW due to added abrasion from the sand. And... regardless of grooves, distance balls spin less than mid-spin or pro balls because the harder covers don't grab the clubface as well.

What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 95 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10 / KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • I still have my 54* Top Flite wedge that's been in the bag ~4 years or so. Besides a PW, it's the only other wedge in my bag and gets a lot of use. I hit it on GC Quad a couple weeks ago and was still spinning 10K+ on full shots and 5-6K on partial 50 yarders. If you start to notice changes in your game on the course, that's when I would switch. Otherwise, keep 'em in the bag.

King LTD Pro 7.5 F / Kuro Kage DC 70TX Tipped 1" - 44.5"
    Exotics XCG7 Beta 13*
    '94 Callaway Big Bertha 3 - 9 irons
    46* SM7 / 50* (TBD) / 54* Top Flite / 58* (TBD)
    Old Odyssey Mallet
  • kthomaskthomas Members Posts: 38 ✭✭

Thanks for all the responses so far - I think I'm going to take that Titleist Thursday suggestion to heart, and find one around Tucson AZ to see how my current wedges perform for me versus other wedges.