what clubs am i missing for my set?

thisjustanotherthisjustanother Members Posts: 12 ✭✭

so i was gifted some clubs. they have the 2iron to 9 iron with pw and sw as well. i recently picked up a good driver and a used 5 hybrid. i know not a lot of sets run the 2 iron, so im trying to figure out what clubs i am missing or need if i do plan on keeping/using the 2iron. do i need fairway drivers/hybrids?

Comments

• FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,431 ✭✭

Dump the 2, 3 and 4 irons.
    Add a 3-wood, 3 hybrid and a 56 degree wedge.
    Then go practice your short game three times per week.

• Loomis13Loomis13 Posts: 181 ✭✭

Relly don't need anything else. However you might find it beneficial to have some other clubs. Typically people will have a wood of some sort and a hybrid or two because long irons are more difficult to hit. However, hit the clubs and base it off of that first. IMO of course.

• 86020818602081 Members Posts: 1,867 ✭✭

I guess it depends on how good you are.. but I would get rid of 2 and 3 iron..
    I would get a 3 hybrid and get rid of 5 hybrid. Get a 3wood, hybrid, and Gap Wedge.. You have a sandwedge, which should be 56 degrees..

• KAndyManKAndyMan JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!! Members Posts: 321 ✭✭

Sounds like you could use a putter too. Sorry i HAD to be that guy and have the smart*** comment

• SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members Posts: 893 ✭✭

I actually enjoy hitting the 3. Practicing with the 2 iron might help perfect the mechanics as you’ve gotta be on it to hit. That’s said, I believe the other guys are right, and have already given the right advice. IMO.

• dags27dags27 Members Posts: 888 ✭✭

I agree with others to dump the 2 and 3 iron, replace it with 3wood and hybrid. But if you are hitting 2 and 3 irons well, you might as well keep using it. Have fun and enjoy it 😁

• StormsStorms San DiegoMembers Posts: 68 ✭✭

You've got most of the bases covered, you could use a fairway wood and a lob wedge but they are definitely not clubs you really would miss just starting out. Like everyone else said, drop 2/3 iron and practice with what you have.

TaylorMade 2016 M2 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow
    Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rouge Black
    TaylorMade M1 19* Aldila Rouge Black
    Titleist 585H 21* Titleist 4175
    TaylorMade Psi Tour 4-PW KBS Tour 120s
    Akira Tour Issue 54*
    Akira Tour Issue 60*
    Yes! Callie
  • HertsjoatmonHertsjoatmon HertfordshirePosts: 173 ✭✭

First step is to decide (and be honest with yourself), am I playing for fun only a few times a month _or _am I looking to put some effort in, including lessons, and playing / practicing more than once a week?
    If its the former, then id suggest clubs that make the game a little easier (no 3 wood), a 5 or 7 wood, (no 4 iron) just your 5 hybrid and then the irons bellow that)
    If its the later, then a 3 wood, either a 5 wood or 3 hybrid (depending on if you find it easier to hit your woods or your irons) and also a 4 hybrid.

What wedges you carry is a very personal thing and can only be established after playing for a while in my opinion. A PW and SW is fine to start out with.

11.5 - Driver - Callaway GBB (animal style) - Speeder 665 R

15 - Mini Dr - Bertha Mini 1.5 - Motore 70 R @42.5" - D2.5

20 - Fairway - Big Bertha - Kuru Kage Silver 70 R @ 41.5" - D2

23.5 - Fairway - F7 - Fujuka Pro 65 S (butt trimmed) @40.5 D1.5

27 - Hybrid - LOOKING FOR SUITABLE CLUB - Kuru Kage Silver 80 R 38.5" D1.5

32 & 36 - hybiron - Adams Idea (14) - Ping AWT 2.0 R - D3

40 & 45 - cavity back - Adams Idea (14) - Ping AWT 2.0 R - D3.5

50 - wedge - Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB - 6 bounce - D4

55 - wedge - Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB - 11 bounce- D4

60 - wedge - Ping Tour-W - 8 bounce - D5

58 - wedge - Cleveland Smart Sole 3.0 - 8 bounce - D4

Odyssey 2 Ball fang - e6 soft – Sun Mountain Combo Cart / Bag
    85mph average driver SS - longest drive 2018 (measured with GameGolf) - 264 yards

• gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,170 ✭✭

@thisjustanother said:
    so i was gifted some clubs. they have the 2iron to 9 iron with pw and sw as well. i recently picked up a good driver and a used 5 hybrid. i know not a lot of sets run the 2 iron, so im trying to figure out what clubs i am missing or need if i do plan on keeping/using the 2iron. do i need fairway drivers/hybrids?

Can you tell us exactly what make and model of irons that you received?

On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • thisjustanotherthisjustanother Members Posts: 12 ✭✭

i got the i3 oversized iron set. an older set. brand new never used. which suprised me since i think they are from the early 2000s