what clubs am i missing for my set?

thisjustanother ·  
thisjustanotherthisjustanother  18WRX Points: 35Members Posts: 18 Bunkers

so i was gifted some clubs. they have the 2iron to 9 iron with pw and sw as well. i recently picked up a good driver and a used 5 hybrid. i know not a lot of sets run the 2 iron, so im trying to figure out what clubs i am missing or need if i do plan on keeping/using the 2iron. do i need fairway drivers/hybrids?

Posted:

Comments

• FergusonFerguson  5656WRX Points: 2,928Handicap: 6.8Members Posts: 5,656 Titanium Tees

Dump the 2, 3 and 4 irons.
    Add a 3-wood, 3 hybrid and a 56 degree wedge.
    Then go practice your short game three times per week.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Loomis13Loomis13  211WRX Points: 72Handicap: 9Members Posts: 211 Fairways

Relly don't need anything else. However you might find it beneficial to have some other clubs. Typically people will have a wood of some sort and a hybrid or two because long irons are more difficult to hit. However, hit the clubs and base it off of that first. IMO of course.

Posted:
  • 86020818602081  2037WRX Points: 216Members Posts: 2,037 Platinum Tees

I guess it depends on how good you are.. but I would get rid of 2 and 3 iron..
    I would get a 3 hybrid and get rid of 5 hybrid. Get a 3wood, hybrid, and Gap Wedge.. You have a sandwedge, which should be 56 degrees..

Posted:
  • KAndyManKAndyMan JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!! Trident/Lowcountry area 412WRX Points: 160Handicap: ManyMembers Posts: 412 Greens

Sounds like you could use a putter too. Sorry i HAD to be that guy and have the smart*** comment

Posted:
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy!  1232WRX Points: 185Handicap: ClimbingMembers Posts: 1,232 Platinum Tees

I actually enjoy hitting the 3. Practicing with the 2 iron might help perfect the mechanics as you’ve gotta be on it to hit. That’s said, I believe the other guys are right, and have already given the right advice. IMO.

Posted:
  • dags27dags27  906WRX Points: 104Members Posts: 906 Golden Tee

I agree with others to dump the 2 and 3 iron, replace it with 3wood and hybrid. But if you are hitting 2 and 3 irons well, you might as well keep using it. Have fun and enjoy it 😁

Posted:

Advertisement
  • StormsStorms San Diego 135WRX Points: 89Handicap: 9Members Posts: 135 Fairways

You've got most of the bases covered, you could use a fairway wood and a lob wedge but they are definitely not clubs you really would miss just starting out. Like everyone else said, drop 2/3 iron and practice with what you have.

Posted:
    TaylorMade 2016 M2 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow
    Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rouge Black
    Srixon zU45 20* Graphite Design AD95
    Titleist 585H 21* Titleist 4175
    TaylorMade Psi Tour 4-PW KBS Tour
    TaylorMade EF 52*
    Akira Prototype 58*
    Yes! Callie
  • HertsjoatmonHertsjoatmon A in golf theory, D- in golf practical Hertfordshire 269WRX Points: 61Handicap: 25Members Posts: 269 Greens

First step is to decide (and be honest with yourself), am I playing for fun only a few times a month _or _am I looking to put some effort in, including lessons, and playing / practicing more than once a week?
    If its the former, then id suggest clubs that make the game a little easier (no 3 wood), a 5 or 7 wood, (no 4 iron) just your 5 hybrid and then the irons bellow that)
    If its the later, then a 3 wood, either a 5 wood or 3 hybrid (depending on if you find it easier to hit your woods or your irons) and also a 4 hybrid.

What wedges you carry is a very personal thing and can only be established after playing for a while in my opinion. A PW and SW is fine to start out with.

Posted:
    Thought my bag was all set for the season but I'm 3 changes in since Christmas already... Dialing in favorable launch and spin / gapping numbers currently - max game improvement throughout as I don't get time to head out much...

• gvogelgvogel  8073WRX Points: 1,078Members Posts: 8,073 Titanium Tees

On -, @thisjustanother said:

so i was gifted some clubs. they have the 2iron to 9 iron with pw and sw as well. i recently picked up a good driver and a used 5 hybrid. i know not a lot of sets run the 2 iron, so im trying to figure out what clubs i am missing or need if i do plan on keeping/using the 2iron. do i need fairway drivers/hybrids?

Can you tell us exactly what make and model of irons that you received?

Posted:
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • thisjustanotherthisjustanother  18WRX Points: 35Members Posts: 18 Bunkers

i got the i3 oversized iron set. an older set. brand new never used. which suprised me since i think they are from the early 2000s

Posted:
  • thisjustanotherthisjustanother  18WRX Points: 35Members Posts: 18 Bunkers

On -, @8602081 said:

I guess it depends on how good you are.. but I would get rid of 2 and 3 iron..
    I would get a 3 hybrid and get rid of 5 hybrid. Get a 3wood, hybrid, and Gap Wedge.. You have a sandwedge, which should be 56 degrees..

the gap wedge is what im trying to figure out what i need now. the PW is 47degrees while the SW is 56. should i try and grab a 52?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • 86020818602081  2037WRX Points: 216Members Posts: 2,037 Platinum Tees

That's what I carry..
    For me:
    PW=46
    GW=52
    58 degree sand/lob wedge

Posted:
  • lil'mikelil'mike  1298WRX Points: 86Members Posts: 1,298 Platinum Tees

I think you should go out and hit them for a round or two at a course you will play and see what kind of yardage gaps or issues that you run in to. Then change some clubs to fill what gaps you have yardage wise and say the ones you can't hit or just don't like to hit!

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.