Monte's efficient swing

i*windowsi*windows Members Posts: 2,157 ✭✭
edited Apr 16, 2019 12:03pm in Instruction & Academy #1

So I went to Monte's site to buy 'use the bounce' but ended up buying 'the efficient swing', I dont know why, but I did. Anyway this is the first of Monte's videos that I have bought and here a couple of quick comments.
The video gives a guide on how to swing efficiently and how to make the correct moves or feels. And it's good. Well thought out, straight to the point, with virtually no uncessary flim flam. Plenty of drills and maybe most interesting is Monte teaching a couple of guys.
The only thing I think is missing is maybe what impact looks like and post impact(maybe I missed this), but if you do everything in sequence then you dont need to worry about this.
if you have the money ($34 until May) then maybe you should have a look.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Just hit the **** ball.[/font]
TM R1
Adams Tight lies 2 5w
Cleveland Mashie 5h
Nike Covert Forged 2, 6-PW
Lynx Prowler VT 5-PW
Cleveland 588 Tour Action 51*
MD Golf Seve Sedona 58*
Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini.

Comments

• AFcelicaAFcelica Members Posts: 701 ✭✭

His best series yet imo lots of great stuff in there

• crapulacrapula Golf! Members Posts: 1,783 ✭✭

I really dislike the teaching segments. I've watched the videos about 3 times and now I skip the teaching videos.
    Everything else is pure palladium.

Srixon Z 785 9.5 Project X HC HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
    Srixon Z F85 13.5 Project X HC HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
    Srixon Z H85 16 Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
    Srixon Z 785 3-PW KBS Tour 120 S
    Cleveland RTX-3 52, 58 KBS Tour 120 S
    Odyssey Toulon Memphis Stroke Lab
    Srixon Yellow ZStar XV
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,433 ✭✭

Half way through, so far excellent. Basically an abridged encyclopedia of the golf swing in easy to navigate video form. I work with Monte (mostly online) and can see elements of what I work on in each segment. Nice way to keep tabs on the things that plague me the most

• David69David69 Members Posts: 234 ✭✭

I think it is great - it addresses in great detail the transition move and gives a variety of new exercises and feels to get people to groove a more efficient and quality move from the backswing through transition and the downswing. Excellent instruction and worth every dime.

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]TM M1 8.5* Ozik Black Tie 80M4x[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Titleist 718 AP2 irons[/font]
  • q-schoolq-school Members Posts: 466 ✭✭

A tremendous bargain at twice the price. Love it.
    I watch the instructional segments closer. I appreciate the thought too two different skill levels and two different body shapes being taught. Thanks Monte.

• chigolfer1chigolfer1 Members Posts: 861 ✭✭

Ha, I thought this was literally about Monte's efficient swing. If you've ever been to one of his clinics or seen him live, he's the epitome of the, but he doesn't even look like he's swinging hard!, guy that hits it 325 yards.

• HillbillyInBCHillbillyInBC Members Posts: 169 ✭✭

@i*windows said:
    The only thing I think is missing is maybe what impact looks like and post impact(maybe I missed this), but if you do everything in sequence then you dont need to worry about this.

He addresses this in the concluding video of the series, but your final clause here summarizes it pretty well.

• OldnavycdrOldnavycdr Members Posts: 907 ✭✭

I, too purchased Monte's Efficient Swing video. I've just been lost and felt like I needed to start over with the basics. I've struggled with various backswing thoughts, pressure shift, and most of all the transition. The video covers all of these in a step by step manner. The video is well done, clear in its instruction, and logical in its progression. I'm going to start from scratch this year and build (rebuild?) my swing through this video. Thanks Monte! Your release of this video was just in time!

• StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,235 ✭✭

Yeah the video is great. The bounce videos are also pretty nice as well. I’m a big fan of both.
    Monte doesn’t post about the “at impact” or “post impact” because those are a result of your take away, back swing, and transition. The ball is already gone by the time you can figure out what to do at or post impact. They’re results of the first parts of your swing.

• Gamble GambleGamble Gamble #TwistFaceExperience ClubWRX Posts: 3,561 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 17, 2019 2:47pm #11

I just downloaded it last night. It seems like exactly what I wanted. A step by step example of what is correct at each position and what drills are needed to engrain them.

This format really hits a tuning fork for me because it is how I organized my notes in college. Segment each step sequentially in order and add as much detail in section as needed.

• dwbostondwboston Lefty Boomers Posts: 2,322 ✭✭

I've watched the video a couple of times and I liked it a lot more the second time through. It fits in exactly with my experience with Monte's teaching style, having been to a handful of his clinics. He explains it simply, and gives multiple drills in each section that all get at the same thing, just in a slightly different way. It's how he teaches at his clinics - he gives you different things to try to achieve the same goal, as not every feel or intent works for every person.

The transition is the biggest area for me to work on - my biggest fault is getting my head moving toward the target on the downswing and getting too steep. After going through that section a couple of times, I think there are a couple of things that will really help me. They are variations of things Monte has said to me before, but presented in a different way that makes a little more sense to me.

My only complaint with the video is Chris's heavy breathing. :D

Titleist TS2 10.5*, GD AD TP 6S | Titleist 915F 16.5*, GD AD DI 7S | Titleist 915 H 21*, GD AD HY 95S
    Bridgestone J15 CB, 4-PW, Recoil Proto 125 F4 | Vokey SM6 52.08F | Vokey SM6 56.10S | Vokey SM7 60.12D
    Bettinardi BB0 Flow, 34"/350g

Is the second student a regular poster as well?

• DeadaimzDeadaimz Members Posts: 245 ✭✭

This video sounds a lot like d4d.

• salmon2salmon2 Members Posts: 93 ✭✭

I'm about halfway through and really enjoy it as well. He does a great job of communicating the same concept in a number of different ways with the expectation that one or more will resonate with each person and that's what to focus on in practice.

• dwbostondwboston Lefty Boomers Posts: 2,322 ✭✭

@Deadaimz said:

It's completely different. Step by step explanation of takeaway, backswing to top of swing, and the transition, with multiple drills and teaching segments with two students in each area. It's structured a lot differently than Monte's previous videos. It focuses more on the correct way to do something vs. fixing flaws and faults.

Titleist TS2 10.5*, GD AD TP 6S | Titleist 915F 16.5*, GD AD DI 7S | Titleist 915 H 21*, GD AD HY 95S
    Bridgestone J15 CB, 4-PW, Recoil Proto 125 F4 | Vokey SM6 52.08F | Vokey SM6 56.10S | Vokey SM7 60.12D
    Bettinardi BB0 Flow, 34"/350g
  • ohakim82ohakim82 Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

@dwboston said:

@Deadaimz said:

It's completely different. Step by step explanation of takeaway, backswing to top of swing, and the transition, with multiple drills and teaching segments with two students in each area. It's structured a lot differently than Monte's previous videos. It focuses more on the correct way to do something vs. fixing flaws and faults.

How much value does D4D add to someone whos starts Efficient Swing? Meaning if one really focused on working on all the concepts in Efficient Swing, does the driver specific instruction in D4D really add much? Cost is a minor consideration, more concerned about whether time would be better spent really trying to nail all the concepts in Efficient Swing versus working through 4 additonal hours of video in D4D.

I would start with the Efficient Swing and then move onto D4D as a supplement. D4D definitely has some elements that are driver specific and has some content that is still useful (ie highlighting and addressing faults). As with all things Monte does, it's largely all the same core ideas, just presented in different manners such that it will resonate with different individuals.

Realistically if digesting a few extra hours of content is too much, well neither of the videos may work well for you as you need to be ready to invest time to practice/video/self analyze to get the real value of them

• kleydejongkleydejong Members Posts: 143 ✭✭

I purchased it and have really enjoyed it so far. The transition section has been very helpful for me. I tried each of the drills / feels and found a few that really hit the spot. I was a bit skeptical about the concept that he skips the release section believing that if you have a solid swing up to that point it will take care of itself. However it has proven to be true so far as I review the video from my swings last night.

Taylormade M3
    Titleist 913F 15*
    Adams Pro 18* / 24*
    Maltby DBM 5-PW
    Maltby M-Series + 50*
    Maltby M-Series + 54*
    Mizuno S18 60*
    Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil-Spec Newport
  • SchneeSchnee SOTABM NortheastClubWRX Posts: 5,445 ClubWRX

@dwboston said:
    I've watched the video a couple of times and I liked it a lot more the second time through. It fits in exactly with my experience with Monte's teaching style, having been to a handful of his clinics. He explains it simply, and gives multiple drills in each section that all get at the same thing, just in a slightly different way. It's how he teaches at his clinics - he gives you different things to try to achieve the same goal, as not every feel or intent works for every person.

The transition is the biggest area for me to work on - my biggest fault is getting my head moving toward the target on the downswing and getting too steep. After going through that section a couple of times, I think there are a couple of things that will really help me. They are variations of things Monte has said to me before, but presented in a different way that makes a little more sense to me.

My only complaint with the video is Chris's heavy breathing. :D

Me too! It was the first thing I noticed watching the video and facepalmed lol. I was Pretty stuffed up from flying 🤦🏻‍♂️

"Grasshopper breaks wing
    soars with Master's healing words.
    Winter grounds him"

-Hawkeye77

Becky Johnson Award Nominee 2016

Titleist TS2 9.5* EvenFlow White T1100 6.5 65g
    Taylormade SLDR Mini 14* Diamana Limited Edition 80g
    Titleist 818 H1 Mitsubishi Tensei Blue
    Irons Under Construction
    Vokey SM7 50.12F, 54.14F Stealth S200
    [Vokey SM7 58.V Oil Can S200
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5 Welded Neck Custom (name TBD)

ig-badge-48.png
  • SchneeSchnee SOTABM NortheastClubWRX Posts: 5,445 ClubWRX

@Krt22 said:
    Is the second student a regular poster as well?

No he’s not on GolfWRX.

"Grasshopper breaks wing
    soars with Master's healing words.
    Winter grounds him"

-Hawkeye77

Becky Johnson Award Nominee 2016

Titleist TS2 9.5* EvenFlow White T1100 6.5 65g
    Taylormade SLDR Mini 14* Diamana Limited Edition 80g
    Titleist 818 H1 Mitsubishi Tensei Blue
    Irons Under Construction
    Vokey SM7 50.12F, 54.14F Stealth S200
    [Vokey SM7 58.V Oil Can S200
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5 Welded Neck Custom (name TBD)

ig-badge-48.png
  • jj9000jj9000 ClubWRX Posts: 2,625 ClubWRX

Is this a video that can be downloaded and watched offline?

You can store videos offline within the app. Cant have the native files for obvious reasons

• i*windowsi*windows Members Posts: 2,157 ✭✭

@jj9000 said:
    Is this a video that can be downloaded and watched offline?

no its online, but you can download the videos with fiddler and a bit of code

TM R1
    Adams Tight lies 2 5w
    Cleveland Mashie 5h
    Lynx Prowler VT 5-PW
    MD Golf Seve Sedona 58*
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭

The main thing I get from this is a very clear idea of key milestones in the swing. I am almost back at the beginning of my swing, just going stepwise thru all the things i worked on from lessons, but with a refined idea and also a refined feel (from the lessons and practice). I guess the point is - and this is really the key thing I have gotten from Monte - is the basics are, well, basic. I just keep clarifying and refining and ingraining. Nothing new really leaped out at me, but still the video really is impacting my swing. I bet this video guides me for at least 6 months.

Ping GMax 400 10.5
    Callawy Epic 5W
    Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
    Mizuno MP4 4-W
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

• i*windowsi*windows Members Posts: 2,157 ✭✭

@wmblake2000 said:
    The main thing I get from this is a very clear idea of key milestones in the swing. I am almost back at the beginning of my swing, just going stepwise thru all the things i worked on from lessons, but with a refined idea and also a refined feel (from the lessons and practice). I guess the point is - and this is really the key thing I have gotten from Monte - is the basics are, well, basic. I just keep clarifying and refining and ingraining. Nothing new really leaped out at me, but still the video really is impacting my swing. I bet this video guides me for at least 6 months.

This.

plus I like like how the video is not full of jargon and "golf pseudo science"

TM R1
    Adams Tight lies 2 5w
    Cleveland Mashie 5h
    Lynx Prowler VT 5-PW
    MD Golf Seve Sedona 58*
  • ddettsddetts Roy McAvoy Sioux Falls, SDClubWRX Posts: 1,499 ClubWRX

I'm definitely enjoying it, especially the transition section. One of my main issues was extending the lead wrist, steepening the shaft and flipping so the explanation along with the various feels/drills have helped remind what works for me in feeling the correct move.
    Also, the early parts of the swing are sometimes overlooked and the takeaway and left arm parallel have been good reminders for me as well.

> See my current WITB
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5 65 gram
    TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15°, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 17°, Project X HZRDUS85 6.0
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

Twitter-icon.png lDLcKyO.png?1
  • smdykassmdykas Members Posts: 161 ✭✭

I have watched the whole series. I have identified some of the drills I really need to work on, but haven't started yet. Not sure how to set up video feedback. What is interesting is there are really two parts to this. The arms and the body. I realized my body is not sequencing correctly, and have started to make many improvements. No more left pull misses. Now, I need to focus on the hard drills...going to see him in chicago in June....need to be ready

Is there an app for a macbook pro? What app is needed to download?

• ddettsddetts Roy McAvoy Sioux Falls, SDClubWRX Posts: 1,499 ClubWRX

@Deadaimz said:
    Is there an app for a macbook pro? What app is needed to download?

App is for mobile - Rebellion Golf in iTunes or Android Play store. From desktop browser you can just access via clicking the "go to video site".

> See my current WITB
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5 65 gram
    TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15°, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 17°, Project X HZRDUS85 6.0
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

Twitter-icon.png lDLcKyO.png?1

Go to know thanks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list