2020 PGA Merchandise Show Coverage.... Here.

Anyone jumping on the Hogan bandwagon?

tsecor ·  
tsecortsecor Loading........ 4499WRX Points: 420Members Posts: 4,499

This company has made great irons for decades and I recently saw the commercial where they advertise "direct to consumer" pricing. a full set of irons for ~$700?? That is what this industry needs...anyone recently buy a set of hogans? if so, how are they? I wonder if this will change the industry at all.....plus they forge in America and assemble in America as well.......

Posted:
Post edited by tsecor on

Comments

• rgk5rgk5 rgk5(OLB)  3759WRX Points: 364Handicap: 6Members Posts: 3,759

Where in America are their clubs forged? Hoffman in TN. was the last one I knew of and it closed years ago.

Posted:
    Cobra F9 Tour 10.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
    Cobra F8 3-4 wood 13.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F3

Cobra F8 5-6 wood 17.5, Tensei Blue R
    Mizuno CLK 22*, Speeder Evolution HB 75 S
    Ping i25 5-PW, TFC 189 R
    Cobra MIM forged 50*, KBS Hi Rev 125 S
    Ping Glide 1.0 54.5*, CFS Wedge flex

Ping Eye2+ SW, 57.5*, KTM S
    Taylor Made TP Mullen 2, 35", LH (I'm right handed :p )
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • SocratesSocrates Warning Points 1+ Winnipeg 9836WRX Points: 857Handicap: 4ishClubWRX Posts: 9,836

On -, @tsecor said:

This company has made great irons for decades and I recently saw the commercial where they advertise "direct to consumer" pricing. a full set of irons for ~$700?? That is what this industry needs...anyone recently buy a set of hogans? if so, how are they? I wonder if this will change the industry at all.....plus they forge in America and assemble in America as well.......

Fixed that.
    Most people don't realize that even partial assembly in US means they can claim it as Made In the USA.

Posted:
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
    MCC Align Midsize

• bfp9bfp9  21WRX Points: 20Handicap: 4Members Posts: 21

I've been on the Hogan train since 2006 when I bought Apex Blades (with the dreaded Callaway Forging). Still use them today. Although they are getting long in the tooth. Best Irons for my swing, and my game. And they were $299 new at Golfsmith. Haven't hit the new stuff, but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy another set of Hogans.

Posted:
  • MattM97MattM97  774WRX Points: 344Members Posts: 774

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: lefty options are limited, only thing I might consider are the wedges but after shipping, import fee/duty, re-gripping to what I like they are as much or more than most wedges. But I do like what they are offering and are a much cheaper and appealing product for many golfers. So I'll be a fan, but won't be a user of Hogan products.

Posted:
    WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S
    Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° Draw - Tensei Blue 65S
    Hybrid: Ping G410 - 19° - Alta CB 70R
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - Miura KM-006LH - Toulon San Diego - and many more.
    Balls: TaylorMade TP5X
    Bag: Ping Pioneer
  • offwhiteoffwhite  129WRX Points: 41Handicap: 7.3Members Posts: 129

My brother plays the original ft worth 15s and I thought they felt great, just not different enough from the mp68s I was playing to warrant a change. I’ve demoed the original PTX and thought they were fine and sharp looking sticks, just something about the offset didn’t sit well with me. But they’re nice clubs. I actually still use a Scor wedge which was the precursor to the new hogan wedge line.

Posted:
    SLDR 10.5 Matrix Ozik X
    SLDR 3hl TP Fuji ts 8.3X
    585h 17* rifle 6.5
    Mizuno MP 68 4-PW PX 6.0
    Mizuno MP R-12 52, 56, 60
    Odyssey Tour Black
  • nichhonichho  2034WRX Points: 262Members Posts: 2,034

Me.
    I looked into buying direct from Hogan for what I still believe is an incredible price compared to most major OEM's. My problem was the delivery charge to the UK and more importantly the import duty, made it prohibitive.
    The solution was to buy used, in this case from Global Golf. I received a 22* to 46* set (4 to PW) in very good condition for an excellent price. The import duty stung a bit but it appears to be worth it.
    I like them a lot. They are everything that Rick Sheils said they weren't. They are extremely forgiving on shots not quite flushed, they are fabulous to look at. They are as long as anything when you do hit it out of the screws and the dispersion is tighter than most I've used but I put that down to the KBS V110 Tours.
    Yes hit it off the toe and you will loose distance but that is always the case.
    I have a set of Miura PP9003 and Callaway Apex Pro 16, both practically new, both in the garage and on ebay (UK). The Hogans are in the bag, it will be interesting to see how long they stay there. The record is 13 months, Mizuno MP25, I had them up until last December.

Posted:
    Mizuno MP 650 Fujikura Orochi
    Mizuno JPX 850 5W Fujikura Speeder
    Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 19* TTDG
    Mizuno MP4 4-PW TTDG
    Mizuno S18 50 TTDG
    Callaway MD 4 56* TTDG
    Vokey SM6 60 TTDG
    Mizuno T105

Advertisement
  • BuzzkillBuzzkill  7067WRX Points: 482Handicap: 3Marshals Posts: 7,067 Marshals

On -, @tsecor said:

Great pricing and I'm there if they make an iron/blade with simple lines.

Posted:
    Minimalist Bag!
    Handicap:  3

• Bad9Bad9  4619WRX Points: 506Handicap: 9.2Members Posts: 4,619

From an interview with Steve Dreyer, chief of manufacturing at Hogan "Hogan sources its forged heads from China, No where on the Hogan website does it say they are forged in the US. There is some other info in the recent thread titled "Where are forgings completed" or similar. The current iteration of Hogan was bankrupt 2yrs ago after it was resurrected from its previous rescue from bankruptcy by Callaway who bought it from Spalding who resurrected it from its bankruptcy previous to that.

Posted:
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
    Ping G400 7w/Alta CB r flex
    Ping G400 4h/Alta CB r flex
    Ping G400 5h/Alta CB r flex
    Ping IE1 6-U/CFS70 r flex
    Ping Glide 2.0 ES 58°/CFS70 r flex
    Mizuno Bettinardi C06
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG  2377WRX Points: 663Members Posts: 2,377

I've been using some 2003 Hogan Apex. Just bought a Hogan F (52* gap) wedge on the electronic bay.

When these are finally illegal for regular play, I may break down and get me a set of the FW15s.

Posted:
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • dkelly1269dkelly1269  109WRX Points: 84Members Posts: 109

I have a set of the FW15s and just picked up a set of the PTx irons. Both are very high quality and very playable at a great price. I'm all in.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • tsecortsecor Loading........  4499WRX Points: 420Members Posts: 4,499

The commercial I saw said they are made right in texas....maybe its somewhat misleading???>

On -, @Bad9 said:

From an interview with Steve Dreyer, chief of manufacturing at Hogan "Hogan sources its forged heads from China, No where on the Hogan website does it say they are forged in the US. There is some other info in the recent thread titled "Where are forgings completed" or similar. The current iteration of Hogan was bankrupt 2yrs ago after it was resurrected from its previous rescue from bankruptcy by Callaway who bought it from Spalding who resurrected it from its bankruptcy previous to that.

Posted:

just saw this on the Hogan web site.....
    NOTICE: Due to extraordinarily high interest in our new PTx PRO irons and Precision Milled Forged putters, our phone system is experiencing difficulties. If you are having trouble reaching our Customer Service department at (844) 53-HOGAN, we apologize. Rest assured we are aware of this problem and are working as quickly as possible to rectify the situation. In the meantime, please feel free to contact us by email at '[email protected]'. Thank you for your patience!

Posted:

here is the video https://youtu.be/HQ6j2FLi58g

HAND-CRAFTED IN FORT WORTH, TEXAS
    Unlike many larger golf equipment companies, we still design, assemble and ship our products in the United States. We think it's important to use the same basic manufacturing techniques that Ben Hogan pioneered in his original factory … located just a few miles from our facility in Fort Worth, Texas.
    That means no mass production, no short cuts in the building process. Our team of craftsman … some of whom worked with Mr. Hogan directly for many years … build each individual club and each set of irons one at a time, to exact specifications.
    Though this process takes longer and is more expensive, it’s the only way we know of to ensure you get the most precise, highest-quality golf equipment in the world that is worthy of Ben Hogan's signature.

Posted:
  • BottleCapBottleCap  1491WRX Points: 245Members Posts: 1,491

It's not the same Hogan. The current iteration of Hogan is Scor, that wedge company run by Terry Kohler, bought the name from Callaway a few years back.

Posted:
    Taylormade M5 Mitsubishi Kuro Kage XD 70 S
    Titleist 917 F3 GD TourAD IZ 8S
    Mizuno MP 69 3-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • JAMH03JAMH03  979WRX Points: 435Members Posts: 979

No, but I like their shorts
    On -, @Wal-mart.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @BottleCap said:

It's not the same Hogan. The current iteration of Hogan is Scor, that wedge company run by Terry Kohler, bought the name from Callaway a few years back.

Not exactly.

Posted:

• nostaticnostatic "i drank what?!?" Socrates lost angeles 201WRX Points: 171ClubWRX Posts: 201

On -, @duffer987 said:

I can appreciate the sense of nostalgia Tiger's Masters victory brought on, but I have to say I don't like Hogan's chances of getting a 10th Major or even getting that 70th win overall.

Never say never - zombie Hogan might rise again:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/04/17/714289322/scientists-restore-some-function-in-the-brains-of-dead-pigs

Posted:
    Ping G400Max 10.5 XTorsion S - Cobra F9 3W 16 Devo7 S - F9 3H Devo8 S 
    Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW - 919F GW - S18 55/09 PX LZ Tour 6.0 - Ping Glide2.0 Stealth 58TS
    Odyssey StrokeLab Double Wide Flow
  • uwhockey14uwhockey14 Madison WI 305WRX Points: 79Unregistered Posts: 305

I got one of their long irons/Driving Irons, very easy to hit... I'd recommend them!

Posted:

On -, @tsecor said:

here is the video https://youtu.be/HQ6j2FLi58g

HAND-CRAFTED IN FORT WORTH, TEXAS
    Unlike many larger golf equipment companies, we still design, assemble and ship our products in the United States. We think it's important to use the same basic manufacturing techniques that Ben Hogan pioneered in his original factory … located just a few miles from our facility in Fort Worth, Texas.
    That means no mass production, no short cuts in the building process. Our team of craftsman … some of whom worked with Mr. Hogan directly for many years … build each individual club and each set of irons one at a time, to exact specifications.
    Though this process takes longer and is more expensive, it’s the only way we know of to ensure you get the most precise, highest-quality golf equipment in the world that is worthy of Ben Hogan's signature.

And nowhere in that spiel does it say they forge the heads, in fact they are very careful not to say they forge them in the US. The quote I posted earlier is from their chief of production in an interview he did on ****.com in 2018.

Posted:
    Mizuno Bettinardi C06

On -, @JAMH03 said:

On -, @BottleCap said:

Not exactly.

Other than Koehler getting ousted when they went pretty much bankrupt again in 2017 it pretty much is. The Ft Worth are just a continuation of the Scorwedges into a full set of irons.

Posted:
    Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Advertisement
  • Mrgreen36Mrgreen36  47WRX Points: 61Handicap: 6Members Posts: 47

I did, but with a set of Apex grinds from the early 90s.

Posted:
  • first teefirst tee  226WRX Points: 80Members Posts: 226

I love my PTx’s. Built to my specs. Unbelievable value.

Posted:

On -, @Bad9 said:

On -, @JAMH03 said:

On -, @BottleCap said:

Not exactly.

Other than Koehler getting ousted when they went pretty much bankrupt again in 2017 it pretty much is. The Ft Worth are just a continuation of the Scorwedges into a full set of irons.

That part yes. But w/o TK the business maybe more solid, but designs not as good IMO looks are trash, tech lacking, designs not as classic, Equalizer line is lame, nobody touting performance, but they do have T.V. ads so they have that going for them.

Posted:

• Scooper5Scooper5 Elko, Minnesota 21WRX Points: 24Handicap: 15.2Members Posts: 21

I'm on my second season with the TK15 wedges. After playing Vokeys for the last handful of seasons, the TK15's took a little to get used to as the ball came off the face hotter. But couldn't fathom paying $150 a Vokey when I carry three wedges in my bag. I'm looking forward to another season with the Hogans.

Posted:
    Taylormade R11 TP - Mitsubishi Diamana Kai' li
    Titleist 910F 15-degree - Mitsubishi Diamana 'ahina
    Adams Idea A7 19-degree -UST Proforce AXIVCore 85
    Srixon Z565 4 & 5, Z765 6-PW
    Ben Hogan TK 15 52,56,60
    Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 Slotback Center Shaft
  • grm24grm24 Western PA 4048WRX Points: 1,158Members Posts: 4,048

On -, @BottleCap said:

Perry Ellis purchased the "Hogan" name from Callaway in 2012. Koehler was chosen to resurrect the Hogan club line in 2014 after obtaining licensing rights. Just like Reid Lockhart/Ray Cook, Eidolon and SCOR before Hogan, his time at Hogan didn't turn out well.

Posted:
    Post edited by grm24 on

Advertisement
  • James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan  957WRX Points: 635Handicap: 12Members Posts: 957

On -, @BrianMcG said:

I've been using some 2003 Hogan Apex. Just bought a Hogan F (52* gap) wedge on the electronic bay.

When these are finally illegal for regular play, I may break down and get me a set of the FW15s.

Your 2003’s (if they are the blades) are good to go on the groove rules!

As my name suggests, I play Hogan now (older) and will be very interested watching how the Ft-worths hit ebay over the next few years. The PTx are sweet too. Not to mention a new putter line, and I think they still make hybrids too. Prices good (too high for me) and I like the looks of all the iron lines. Exciting stuff!

Posted:
    Golfing in Finland!
    Taylormade R15
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60
    Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

I played Hogan Apex PC's back in the late 80's when I was a child and I loved them. My parents bought them for me as a gift for graduation. They were $399 I think......not sure why I ever sold them, but it seems as if the Hogan company is getting back to their roots and the tech they are including in their irons is impressive...to me anyway

Posted:
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG  2377WRX Points: 663Members Posts: 2,377

On -, @BrianMcG said:

Your 2003’s (if they are the blades) are good to go on the groove rules!

As my name suggests, I play Hogan now (older) and will be very interested watching how the Ft-worths hit ebay over the next few years. The PTx are sweet too. Not to mention a new putter line, and I think they still make hybrids too. Prices good (too high for me) and I like the looks of all the iron lines. Exciting stuff!

You're right!!!

I finally found them on the database. I didn't realize they were owned by Spalding then. I had always looked under Calaway.

Posted:
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

Advertisement

PTx came out 2016 I'm pretty sure TK designed them as well as FW15's can anybody confirm?
    On -, @the_wedge_guy? THX for any clarification.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.