Remove Ping G30 driver weight

bb123bb123 Posts: 392 ✭✭
edited Apr 16, 2019 9:53pm in WRX Club Techs #1

I just grabbed a G30 driver off eBay, but it's at stock length of 45.75" so wanna chop off an inch and put in a heavier weight. I go to remove the stock weight, and just the bolt comes out, looks like the stock weight inside is epoxied to the head. Good grief. I also checked at another golf shop and same thing, weight is epoxied to the head. So to get this head weight out, just take this to a clubfitter who knows what he is doing and ask to apply some heat to remove the weight? Hopefully this is pretty straight forward and don't need to be cautious about anything else?

Comments

• mizzyplayermizzyplayer Members Posts: 16 ✭✭

Mine popped out with a small flat blade screwdriver. It didn't take much at all, and I don't think it is epoxy holding it in. The weight is coated in some kind of rubber/plastic that I think just sticks to the head a little. I cut my G30 down to 43.5 and ended up making my own weight to get it back to my desired swing weight.

If it doesn't pop out with a small screwdriver, you might use a hair dryer to warm it up. PM me if you need any further help

• bb123bb123 Posts: 392 ✭✭

@mizzyplayer said:
    Mine popped out with a small flat blade screwdriver. It didn't take much at all, and I don't think it is epoxy holding it in. The weight is coated in some kind of rubber/plastic that I think just sticks to the head a little. I cut my G30 down to 43.5 and ended up making my own weight to get it back to my desired swing weight.

If it doesn't pop out with a small screwdriver, you might use a hair dryer to warm it up. PM me if you need any further help

Hey thanks buddy. Sure enough, a little screwdriver down the side and it popped out fine.

• indianalawnguyindianalawnguy Members Posts: 409 ✭✭

I ordered one for my son about a month ago and thought the same thing. I just used the tip of the wrench and was able to pop it out as well. My first thought was that some dummy epoxied the weight in place!