Putting while the flag is still in?

Kdaniel72 ·  
Kdaniel72Kdaniel72  57WRX Points: 75Handicap: 20Members Posts: 57 Bunkers

I have noticed in the last two tournaments (Valero and Masters) the pros have made putts while the flagstick was still in and did not receive a penalty stroke? Have the rules changed? I was always under the impression that you received a penalty stroke if you did not pull the flagstick out.

Posted:

Comments

• rogolfrogolf  4250WRX Points: 521Members Posts: 4,250 Titanium Tees

Yes, the Rules have changed as of January 1, 2019 and now permit putting with the flagstick in the hole; striking it is no penalty.
    And, previously, striking it was a two stroke penalty.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • SawgrassSawgrass  15759WRX Points: 1,071Members Posts: 15,759 Titanium Tees

This is only one of dozens and dozens of significant changes this year. Beware!

Posted:
  • Kdaniel72Kdaniel72  57WRX Points: 75Handicap: 20Members Posts: 57 Bunkers

What are the others?

Posted:
  • rogolfrogolf  4250WRX Points: 521Members Posts: 4,250 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
  • AugsterAugster  4589WRX Points: 525Members Posts: 4,589 Titanium Tees

Seriously?

As above. This is only one of a dozen significant changes. Plus many minor changes. It’s an entire new rulebook.

A short run down of changes. Not comprehensive at all.

Putt with the flag in.

No more water hazards. They are “penalty areas”

You can ground your club and move loose impediments inside a penalty area.

Drops are from knee height. Only.

Drops need to stay in the drop area.

Embedded balls are dropped within a club length. Not “as close as possible” previously.

“Back on the line” is now “back on a LANE” that is a CL wide either side of that line.

Local Rule E-5. Where lost balls and OB are dropped at the edge of the fairway and 2SP.

A marked ball on the putting green is always played from where it was marked no matter why the ball later moves.

No penalty for accidentally moving your ball during a search. Ball is replaced.

3 minute searches.

ALL that, and MORE, inside the new 2019 Rules of Golf. :)

Posted:
  • NewbyNewby  7619WRX Points: 594Members Posts: 7,619 Titanium Tees

Advertisement
  • sui generissui generis  4385WRX Points: 723Members Posts: 4,385 Titanium Tees

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

I have noticed in the last two tournaments (Valero and Masters) the pros have made putts while the flagstick was still in and did not receive a penalty stroke? Have the rules changed? I was always under the impression that you received a penalty stroke if you did not pull the flagstick out.

This is a send up. Let it go.

Posted:
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

On the golf course....lol. Honestly with three young kids I have just been busy and can’t believe I missed this. I dropped the Golf Channel last year on cable and satellite radio and those two always keep me informed.

Posted:

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

Not sure what a send up is but OK. Not debating anything just wanting to stay informed.

Posted:
  • davep043davep043  4693WRX Points: 1,931Handicap: 6.3Members Posts: 4,693 Titanium Tees

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

Not sure what a send up is but OK. Not debating anything just wanting to stay informed.

A send-up is a term (one I associate more with British than Americans) for a post intended to get attention or start an argument, rather than one to ask a legitimate question. For those of us who are interested in the Rules, these changes have been a huge topic for close to two years now, so its a little difficult for us to understand how someone could have remained unaware of them. But I'll take you at your word that you missed out somehow, and suggest you start to become familiar with the new rules. This link provides a reasonably complete summary, along with a bit of the reasoning behind each change.
    http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/2019/rules/Explanation for Each Major Change in the New Rules of Golf for 2019.pdf

Posted:

Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

• SawgrassSawgrass  15759WRX Points: 1,071Members Posts: 15,759 Titanium Tees
    Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @davep043 said:

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

A send-up is a term (one I associate more with British than Americans) for a post intended to get attention or start an argument, rather than one to ask a legitimate question. For those of us who are interested in the Rules, these changes have been a huge topic for close to two years now, so its a little difficult for us to understand how someone could have remained unaware of them. But I'll take you at your word that you missed out somehow, and suggest you start to become familiar with the new rules. This link provides a reasonably complete summary, along with a bit of the reasoning behind each change.
    http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/2019/rules/Explanation for Each Major Change in the New Rules of Golf for 2019.pdf

Like I said in my post I spend most of my time with 3 wonderful kids and working. I’m sorry it’s difficult for you to understand.

Posted:
  • QEightQEight Finland 3521WRX Points: 189Handicap: 11,0Members Posts: 3,521 Titanium Tees

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

On -, @davep043 said:

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

Like I said in my post I spend most of my time with 3 wonderful kids and working. I’m sorry it’s difficult for you to understand.

Commendable, but if this was really started in Rules folder, did you check the existing threads at all?

Posted:
    Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2
    Titleist 910f 3W
    Callaway XHot hybrid
    Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Tri-Ball SRT
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG  2377WRX Points: 663Members Posts: 2,377 Platinum Tees

These infractions should be immediately called in to the PGA tour. Let us know how it goes.

Posted:
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

On -, @QEight said:

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

On -, @davep043 said:

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

Commendable, but if this was really started in Rules folder, did you check the existing threads at all?

No. I do not post or read on here often.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

On -, @QEight said:

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

On -, @davep043 said:

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

Do some homework and come back in a couple of weeks (or months).

Posted:
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

On -, @QEight said:

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

On -, @davep043 said:

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

Do some homework and come back in a couple of weeks (or months

Lol

Posted:

Is it common practice to attack new posters on this forum? Or did I just get a thread started with a bunch of grumpy old men with no life?

Posted:
    Post edited by Kdaniel72 on

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

Is it common practice to attach mew posters on this forum? Or did I just get a thread started with a bunch of grumpy old men with no life?

You started a thread with a troll post. And followed it up with your Barney Fife act.

Posted:
  • BermBusterBermBuster So. Cal. 79WRX Points: 49Handicap: noneMembers Posts: 79 Fairways

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

Is it common practice to attach mew posters on this forum? Or did I just get a thread started with a bunch of grumpy old men with no life?

Wait, I resemble that remark. Now get off my lawn! ;)

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 20331WRX Points: 4,283ClubWRX Posts: 20,331 ClubWRX

Hey, let’s not insult Barney Fife!

Posted:
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff Montreal 29331WRX Points: 2,231Handicap: 0.0Members Posts: 29,331 Titanium Tees

I'm just here because the thread asked for old men with no life.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Ping G410 4-SW w/DG 300
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2.0 PM 60
    SGC NorthWood CS 400g 

I honestly don’t understand “Troll Post”....I had a simple question. “Barney Fife Act” hun?

You realize you are attacking a person you don’t know and will never meet! Haha!

I like Barney Fife. High morale character and honest. You might want to study him and use him as inspiration for your life.

Hey God Bless and good luck in life. Fife is out of here!

Posted:

On -, @MtlJeff said:

I'm just here because the thread asked for old men with no life.

I did not mean to offend you. Just the guys who are looking for an excuse to be an ****!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • tatertottatertot  4609WRX Points: 920Members Posts: 4,609 Titanium Tees

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

You started a thread with a troll post. And followed it up with your Barney Fife act.

Not everybody lives and breathes this stuff. If you think it's a troll, let it go. Otherwise, quit being a jerk.

Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Ping Mascot

On -, @tatertot said:

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

Not everybody lives and breathes this stuff.

You're slightly correct . . . however, this is the Rules folder and those who inhabit it regularly take the Rules seriously.

Posted:
  • tatertottatertot  4609WRX Points: 920Members Posts: 4,609 Titanium Tees

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @tatertot said:

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

You're slightly correct . . . however, this is the Rules folder and those who inhabit it regularly take the Rules seriously.

Maybe this is his first visit to the rules folder ... He's only got 22 posts. No reason to make him feel like an idiot. If you feel like he's trolling, just ignore him.

Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Ping Mascot

Advertisement

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @tatertot said:

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @Kdaniel72 said:

I had a question about the rules. So logically I asked it in the rules folder. Not trolling at all!!!

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.