Putting while the flag is still in?

I have noticed in the last two tournaments (Valero and Masters) the pros have made putts while the flagstick was still in and did not receive a penalty stroke? Have the rules changed? I was always under the impression that you received a penalty stroke if you did not pull the flagstick out.

«1

Comments

  • rogolfrogolf Members Posts: 3,707 ✭✭

    Yes, the Rules have changed as of January 1, 2019 and now permit putting with the flagstick in the hole; striking it is no penalty.
    And, previously, striking it was a two stroke penalty.

  • SawgrassSawgrass Members Posts: 14,932 ✭✭

    This is only one of dozens and dozens of significant changes this year. Beware!

  • Kdaniel72Kdaniel72 Members Posts: 48 ✭✭

    What are the others?

  • AugsterAugster Members Posts: 4,198 ✭✭
    edited Apr 17, 2019 12:41am #6

    Seriously?

    As above. This is only one of a dozen significant changes. Plus many minor changes. It’s an entire new rulebook.

    A short run down of changes. Not comprehensive at all.

    Putt with the flag in.

    No more water hazards. They are “penalty areas”

    You can ground your club and move loose impediments inside a penalty area.

    Drops are from knee height. Only.

    Drops need to stay in the drop area.

    Embedded balls are dropped within a club length. Not “as close as possible” previously.

    “Back on the line” is now “back on a LANE” that is a CL wide either side of that line.

    Local Rule E-5. Where lost balls and OB are dropped at the edge of the fairway and 2SP.

    A marked ball on the putting green is always played from where it was marked no matter why the ball later moves.

    No penalty for accidentally moving your ball during a search. Ball is replaced.

    3 minute searches.

    ALL that, and MORE, inside the new 2019 Rules of Golf. :)

  • sui generissui generis Members Posts: 3,804 ✭✭

    @Kdaniel72 said:
    I have noticed in the last two tournaments (Valero and Masters) the pros have made putts while the flagstick was still in and did not receive a penalty stroke? Have the rules changed? I was always under the impression that you received a penalty stroke if you did not pull the flagstick out.

    This is a send up. Let it go.

    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • Kdaniel72Kdaniel72 Members Posts: 48 ✭✭

    On the golf course....lol. Honestly with three young kids I have just been busy and can’t believe I missed this. I dropped the Golf Channel last year on cable and satellite radio and those two always keep me informed.

  • Kdaniel72Kdaniel72 Members Posts: 48 ✭✭

    @sui generis said:

    @Kdaniel72 said:
    I have noticed in the last two tournaments (Valero and Masters) the pros have made putts while the flagstick was still in and did not receive a penalty stroke? Have the rules changed? I was always under the impression that you received a penalty stroke if you did not pull the flagstick out.

    This is a send up. Let it go.

    Not sure what a send up is but OK. Not debating anything just wanting to stay informed.

  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,101 ✭✭

    @Kdaniel72 said:

    @sui generis said:

    @Kdaniel72 said:
    I have noticed in the last two tournaments (Valero and Masters) the pros have made putts while the flagstick was still in and did not receive a penalty stroke? Have the rules changed? I was always under the impression that you received a penalty stroke if you did not pull the flagstick out.

    This is a send up. Let it go.

    Not sure what a send up is but OK. Not debating anything just wanting to stay informed.

    A send-up is a term (one I associate more with British than Americans) for a post intended to get attention or start an argument, rather than one to ask a legitimate question. For those of us who are interested in the Rules, these changes have been a huge topic for close to two years now, so its a little difficult for us to understand how someone could have remained unaware of them. But I'll take you at your word that you missed out somehow, and suggest you start to become familiar with the new rules. This link provides a reasonably complete summary, along with a bit of the reasoning behind each change.
    http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/2019/rules/Explanation for Each Major Change in the New Rules of Golf for 2019.pdf

  • Kdaniel72Kdaniel72 Members Posts: 48 ✭✭

    @davep043 said:

    @Kdaniel72 said:

    @sui generis said:

    @Kdaniel72 said:
    I have noticed in the last two tournaments (Valero and Masters) the pros have made putts while the flagstick was still in and did not receive a penalty stroke? Have the rules changed? I was always under the impression that you received a penalty stroke if you did not pull the flagstick out.

    This is a send up. Let it go.

    Not sure what a send up is but OK. Not debating anything just wanting to stay informed.

    A send-up is a term (one I associate more with British than Americans) for a post intended to get attention or start an argument, rather than one to ask a legitimate question. For those of us who are interested in the Rules, these changes have been a huge topic for close to two years now, so its a little difficult for us to understand how someone could have remained unaware of them. But I'll take you at your word that you missed out somehow, and suggest you start to become familiar with the new rules. This link provides a reasonably complete summary, along with a bit of the reasoning behind each change.
    http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/2019/rules/Explanation for Each Major Change in the New Rules of Golf for 2019.pdf

    Like I said in my post I spend most of my time with 3 wonderful kids and working. I’m sorry it’s difficult for you to understand.

  • QEightQEight FinlandMembers Posts: 3,427 ✭✭

    @Kdaniel72 said:

    @davep043 said:

    @Kdaniel72 said:

    @sui generis said:

    @Kdaniel72 said:
    I have noticed in the last two tournaments (Valero and Masters) the pros have made putts while the flagstick was still in and did not receive a penalty stroke? Have the rules changed? I was always under the impression that you received a penalty stroke if you did not pull the flagstick out.

    This is a send up. Let it go.

    Not sure what a send up is but OK. Not debating anything just wanting to stay informed.

    A send-up is a term (one I associate more with British than Americans) for a post intended to get attention or start an argument, rather than one to ask a legitimate question. For those of us who are interested in the Rules, these changes have been a huge topic for close to two years now, so its a little difficult for us to understand how someone could have remained unaware of them. But I'll take you at your word that you missed out somehow, and suggest you start to become familiar with the new rules. This link provides a reasonably complete summary, along with a bit of the reasoning behind each change.
    http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/2019/rules/Explanation for Each Major Change in the New Rules of Golf for 2019.pdf

    Like I said in my post I spend most of my time with 3 wonderful kids and working. I’m sorry it’s difficult for you to understand.

    Commendable, but if this was really started in Rules folder, did you check the existing threads at all?

    Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2
    Titleist 910f 3W
    Callaway XHot hybrid
    Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Tri-Ball SRT
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,273 ✭✭

    These infractions should be immediately called in to the PGA tour. Let us know how it goes.

    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • Kdaniel72Kdaniel72 Members Posts: 48 ✭✭

    @QEight said:

    @Kdaniel72 said:

    @davep043 said:

    @Kdaniel72 said:

    @sui generis said:

    @Kdaniel72 said:
    I have noticed in the last two tournaments (Valero and Masters) the pros have made putts while the flagstick was still in and did not receive a penalty stroke? Have the rules changed? I was always under the impression that you received a penalty stroke if you did not pull the flagstick out.

    This is a send up. Let it go.

    Not sure what a send up is but OK. Not debating anything just wanting to stay informed.

    A send-up is a term (one I associate more with British than Americans) for a post intended to get attention or start an argument, rather than one to ask a legitimate question. For those of us who are interested in the Rules, these changes have been a huge topic for close to two years now, so its a little difficult for us to understand how someone could have remained unaware of them. But I'll take you at your word that you missed out somehow, and suggest you start to become familiar with the new rules. This link provides a reasonably complete summary, along with a bit of the reasoning behind each change.
    http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/2019/rules/Explanation for Each Major Change in the New Rules of Golf for 2019.pdf

    Like I said in my post I spend most of my time with 3 wonderful kids and working. I’m sorry it’s difficult for you to understand.

    Commendable, but if this was really started in Rules folder, did you check the existing threads at all?

    No. I do not post or read on here often.

  • sui generissui generis Members Posts: 3,804 ✭✭

    @Kdaniel72 said:

    @QEight said:

    @Kdaniel72 said:

    @davep043 said:

    @Kdaniel72 said:

    @sui generis said:

    @Kdaniel72 said:
    I have noticed in the last two tournaments (Valero and Masters) the pros have made putts while the flagstick was still in and did not receive a penalty stroke? Have the rules changed? I was always under the impression that you received a penalty stroke if you did not pull the flagstick out.

    This is a send up. Let it go.

    Not sure what a send up is but OK. Not debating anything just wanting to stay informed.

    A send-up is a term (one I associate more with British than Americans) for a post intended to get attention or start an argument, rather than one to ask a legitimate question. For those of us who are interested in the Rules, these changes have been a huge topic for close to two years now, so its a little difficult for us to understand how someone could have remained unaware of them. But I'll take you at your word that you missed out somehow, and suggest you start to become familiar with the new rules. This link provides a reasonably complete summary, along with a bit of the reasoning behind each change.
    http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/2019/rules/Explanation for Each Major Change in the New Rules of Golf for 2019.pdf

    Like I said in my post I spend most of my time with 3 wonderful kids and working. I’m sorry it’s difficult for you to understand.

    Commendable, but if this was really started in Rules folder, did you check the existing threads at all?

    No. I do not post or read on here often.

    Do some homework and come back in a couple of weeks (or months).

    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • Kdaniel72Kdaniel72 Members Posts: 48 ✭✭

    @sui generis said:

    @Kdaniel72 said:

    @QEight said:

    @Kdaniel72 said:

    @davep043 said:

    @Kdaniel72 said:

    @sui generis said:

    @Kdaniel72 said:
    I have noticed in the last two tournaments (Valero and Masters) the pros have made putts while the flagstick was still in and did not receive a penalty stroke? Have the rules changed? I was always under the impression that you received a penalty stroke if you did not pull the flagstick out.

    This is a send up. Let it go.

    Not sure what a send up is but OK. Not debating anything just wanting to stay informed.

    A send-up is a term (one I associate more with British than Americans) for a post intended to get attention or start an argument, rather than one to ask a legitimate question. For those of us who are interested in the Rules, these changes have been a huge topic for close to two years now, so its a little difficult for us to understand how someone could have remained unaware of them. But I'll take you at your word that you missed out somehow, and suggest you start to become familiar with the new rules. This link provides a reasonably complete summary, along with a bit of the reasoning behind each change.
    http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/2019/rules/Explanation for Each Major Change in the New Rules of Golf for 2019.pdf

    Like I said in my post I spend most of my time with 3 wonderful kids and working. I’m sorry it’s difficult for you to understand.

    Commendable, but if this was really started in Rules folder, did you check the existing threads at all?

    No. I do not post or read on here often.

    Do some homework and come back in a couple of weeks (or months

    Lol

  • Kdaniel72Kdaniel72 Members Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited Apr 18, 2019 12:43am #20

    Is it common practice to attack new posters on this forum? Or did I just get a thread started with a bunch of grumpy old men with no life?

    Post edited by Kdaniel72 on
  • sui generissui generis Members Posts: 3,804 ✭✭

    @Kdaniel72 said:
    Is it common practice to attach mew posters on this forum? Or did I just get a thread started with a bunch of grumpy old men with no life?

    You started a thread with a troll post. And followed it up with your Barney Fife act.

    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • BermBusterBermBuster Members Posts: 38 ✭✭

    @Kdaniel72 said:
    Is it common practice to attach mew posters on this forum? Or did I just get a thread started with a bunch of grumpy old men with no life?

    Wait, I resemble that remark. Now get off my lawn! ;)

  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,716 ClubWRX

    Hey, let’s not insult Barney Fife!

  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,372 ✭✭

    I'm just here because the thread asked for old men with no life.

    Cobra F8+ 8.0 w/Aldila NV65 2kxV
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Steelhead XR 18 w/S300
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
  • Kdaniel72Kdaniel72 Members Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited Apr 18, 2019 12:50am #25

    I honestly don’t understand “Troll Post”....I had a simple question. “Barney Fife Act” hun?

    You realize you are attacking a person you don’t know and will never meet! Haha!

    I like Barney Fife. High morale character and honest. You might want to study him and use him as inspiration for your life.

    Hey God Bless and good luck in life. Fife is out of here!

  • Kdaniel72Kdaniel72 Members Posts: 48 ✭✭

    @MtlJeff said:
    I'm just here because the thread asked for old men with no life.

    I did not mean to offend you. Just the guys who are looking for an excuse to be an ****!

  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,387 ✭✭

    @sui generis said:

    @Kdaniel72 said:
    Is it common practice to attach mew posters on this forum? Or did I just get a thread started with a bunch of grumpy old men with no life?

    You started a thread with a troll post. And followed it up with your Barney Fife act.

    Not everybody lives and breathes this stuff. If you think it's a troll, let it go. Otherwise, quit being a jerk.

    Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Sun Mountain Swift X
  • sui generissui generis Members Posts: 3,804 ✭✭

    @tatertot said:

    @sui generis said:

    @Kdaniel72 said:
    Is it common practice to attach mew posters on this forum? Or did I just get a thread started with a bunch of grumpy old men with no life?

    You started a thread with a troll post. And followed it up with your Barney Fife act.

    Not everybody lives and breathes this stuff.

    You're slightly correct . . . however, this is the Rules folder and those who inhabit it regularly take the Rules seriously.

    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,387 ✭✭

    @sui generis said:

    @tatertot said:

    @sui generis said:

    @Kdaniel72 said:
    Is it common practice to attach mew posters on this forum? Or did I just get a thread started with a bunch of grumpy old men with no life?

    You started a thread with a troll post. And followed it up with your Barney Fife act.

    Not everybody lives and breathes this stuff.

    You're slightly correct . . . however, this is the Rules folder and those who inhabit it regularly take the Rules seriously.

    Maybe this is his first visit to the rules folder ... He's only got 22 posts. No reason to make him feel like an idiot. If you feel like he's trolling, just ignore him.

    Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Sun Mountain Swift X
  • Kdaniel72Kdaniel72 Members Posts: 48 ✭✭

    @sui generis said:

    @tatertot said:

    @sui generis said:

    @Kdaniel72 said:
    Is it common practice to attach mew posters on this forum? Or did I just get a thread started with a bunch of grumpy old men with no life?

    You started a thread with a troll post. And followed it up with your Barney Fife act.

    Not everybody lives and breathes this stuff.

    You're slightly correct . . . however, this is the Rules folder and those who inhabit it regularly take the Rules seriously.

    I had a question about the rules. So logically I asked it in the rules folder. Not trolling at all!!!

Sign In or Register to comment.