Rory blew best chance for green jacket

playaplaya Members Posts: 8,721 ✭✭

Rory's struggles at ANGC are well documented. Despite the course being set up for a bomber who hits draws, the greens have always been too much for him to handle. But last week the course was as soft as I can ever remember it, and as we saw Saturday it could be over powered by guys taking dead aim at flags and the ball stopping where it landed. This is the perfect scenario for Rory, as all his majors have come on rain softened courses that he could attack.
If ever Rory was gonna win a green jacket, last week was it.

Comments

• puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Members Posts: 5,084 ✭✭

Yes Rory blew it this year, but maybe he will show up to win next year

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,630 ✭✭

rory is a somewhat better version of dj, imo ... can overpower a course when the driving is on, but if it's not spot on, doesn't have much to fall back on ... may be wrong in my assessment, but he doesn't have all the gear changes that tiger has ... or spieth, for that matter ...

• playaplaya Members Posts: 8,721 ✭✭

@golfandfishing said:
    I think his best chance was when he stood on 10 tee with a 4 shot lead.

Should have won that day for sure. He really stank up the back 9 with the putter, no way to say for sure it was all down to the disaster on 10.

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,687 ClubWRX

@playa said:
    Rory's struggles at ANGC are well documented. Despite the course being set up for a bomber who hits draws, the greens have always been too much for him to handle. But last week the course was as soft as I can ever remember it, and as we saw Saturday it could be over powered by guys taking dead aim at flags and the ball stopping where it landed. This is the perfect scenario for Rory, as all his majors have come on rain softened courses that he could attack.

Does he only have a few days to live?

LOL, now the Tiger excitement means taking shots at other guys because they didn't win?

You wanted Rory to win last week? I don't think so!

• KrazyTrain18KrazyTrain18 Members Posts: 3,164 ✭✭

His best chance will be when he least expects it, I know he says the pressure doesn't get to him but I'm sure the media attention each Masters can't be a positive especially in years like this when he comes in with peak form.

915D3 9.5 (GD-DI 6S Black Edition)
    910F 15 (Diamana Kai'li 75S)
    712U 2I (DG S300)
    714 AP2 4-W (DG S300)
    SM6 (50-54-58) (DG S200)
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 (Studio Select)
    TP5
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,557 ✭✭

Weird headline. There's 30 guys that blew their chance.

PING Rapture V1 Driver 9*
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18* & 23* hybrids
    Titleist 755 irons
    Vokey Wedges 46/54/58
    Odyssey #1WS
  • GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Members Posts: 996 ✭✭

Yeah he wasn't even close either. He was hot coming into the tournament though. I'm surprised he didn't do better, but it's golf.

TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5
  • anthanth From the Land Down Under Members Posts: 2,773 ✭✭

Here’s a theory. You don’t have to be a great putter to win the Masters.

Those greens make lots of players look silly. You just have to be an OK putter. Rory can do that. His time will come at Augusta.

The player who blew it this year was Day. That was his best chance to win but on Saturday his +1 while in the overnight lead was 🤢🤮

Callaway Rogue 10.5
    Callaway BB Alpha 816 16
    Srixon Z H45 19 Hybrid
    Srixon Z U45 23 Utility
    Srixon Z 765/965 5 - PW
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 50 & 54
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi Toe 58
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
    TaylorMade TP5
  • HankshankHankshank Members Posts: 1,556 ✭✭

I was surprised that Rory wasnt in the mix. This week was more like last year, well above the cut line without really being in the mix. Has been sharper this year, expected him to be a contender. Havent seen any comments by himself about his Masters performance and since he wasnt at the top, he was not much seen on TV. Maybe just didnt get the momentum.

• A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Members Posts: 2,150 ✭✭

I know this isn't the thread to post this in, but just talking about Rory got me really thinking about the other pros who are all playing well. And then, I thought again about the tournament 2 days ago. How many other people still feel like this never happened, like we're in a suspended dream-state? Seriously, I feel like I need a huge slap on the face to wake up from whatever fantasy world has just revealed itself on Sunday.

Carry on...

'16 M2 10.5*, Diamana Ltd. 70 S+ 43.5"
    Ping G SFT 16*, DIamana Ltd. 70 S+ 41.5"
    Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
    Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    Byron DH89 Longneck 33" (or any of 10 4 other putters...)
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,750 ✭✭

he actually drove the ball the worse i have seen him do. Draws were pull hooks...into trees, fades were pull hooks into trees. that's what undid him

Cobra LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 1,661 ✭✭

It does't look to me as though Rory has the recovery shot prowess needed to be successful at the Masters. If you followed Tiger all four days, he hit some remarkable recovery shots from all sorts of weird places. I'm not convinced that Rory has those shot.

• KennyPKennyP Members Posts: 863 ✭✭

Winning majors is difficult. Something very few players achieve - even accomplished ones. Winning majors on demand is as good as impossible - even for someone as talented as Rory. And that is effectively what he is trying to do.
    It appeared the burden of trying to win at Augusta to complete the career slam was just too much. His game was ragged from day one. I feel for him. As crazy as it sounds, he would probably have a better chance of a green jacket if he hadn't already got four majors in the bag.
    Twenty years ago, it seemed only a matter of time before Ernie won a green jacket. It never happened. I fear the same will be said about Rory in twenty years from now.

• FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,672 ✭✭

Only one guy doesn't blow his chance for a Masters each year.

• JaNelson38JaNelson38 Members Posts: 2,641 ✭✭

@playa said:

Good lord.

Rory turns 30 this summer. Yeah, he's done. No chance.

• Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members Posts: 493 ✭✭

@BMC said:
    Weird headline. There's 30 guys that blew their chance.

Sure, but the other 30 guys don't need to win the Masters for the slam. He'll most likely win eventually, but every year he doesn't makes it harder for him.

• stanger37stanger37 Members Posts: 356 ✭✭

@tiderider said:
    rory is a somewhat better version of dj, imo ... can overpower a course when the driving is on, but if it's not spot on, doesn't have much to fall back on ... may be wrong in my assessment, but he doesn't have all the gear changes that tiger has ... or spieth, for that matter ...

Rory can take over a tournament and has a gear that not many golfers have. He drives with the best of them on tour nearly every tournament he enters. But his wedge game and putting is the deciding factor. DJ can drive average but has a wedge game to consistently give him looks at birdie or par saves. Rory will fly the green with 120yd left and have to battle to save par. I'd imagine for any golfer it is easier to get into a groove putting when you are lining up 15ft birdies instead of HAVING to make a 10ft par to get into a rhythm.

I am the opposite of a pro golfer so my opinion doesn't really matter, but to my untrained eye, Rory has so many moving parts that everything has to be in time and clicking. From his take away, to transition, to his legs, to the strike. It is a thing of beauty when it is on and he is an absolute machine. But when he is a little off, I'd imagine trouble shooting is difficult. However, he is a pro and I am a schmo.

Nike Vapor Fly Driver 9.5*
    ]Nike Vapor Fly 3W 15*
    Nike Vapor Fly 7W 21*
    Taylormade PSI 4-PW
    Cleveland RTX 52/10
    Cleveland CG15 56/14
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 60
    Odyessy O-Works #7
  • KillerPenguinKillerPenguin Members Posts: 575 ✭✭

@RuffingIt said:
    meh...Rory no longer moves the needle for me. And it's not because Tiger is back in the spotlight. Something between the ears in him doesn't jive with me anymore like i remember when he went on a tear in 2014. There was definite fire in his eyes back then. He even admitted that golf isn't as fun anymore, and is more of a business than a game (or some form of that idea). Sponsor obligations, press tours, merch promo appearances, yada yada yada...too much of the business i think killed his enjoyment of the game. Then you add the Master's **** every year, and tries to down-play the importance. When the pieces don't fall his way on Masters week, he waits a whole another year for another chance...and in the meantime, the rest of the year it feels like he's just going through the motions.

Everyone misses 2014 Valhalla Rory. I hope we get him back for a Sunday showdown with Tiger someday.

• GolfnutgalenGolfnutgalen Members Posts: 2,534 ✭✭

@golfandfishing said:
    I think his best chance was when he stood on 10 tee with a 4 shot lead.

It was actually just a 1 stroke lead by that point, but he did lead by 4 going into the final round. Missed 3 putts around the 5-8 foot range on the front at least 5 more on the back 9. From what I remember he didn't even putt that well in the first 3 rounds of the tournament (with the possible exception of round 1), but still had that sizable lead because of his ridiculous ball striking.

• c7015c7015 Members Posts: 2,107 ✭✭

I think the course on paper looks like it fits Rory but in reality, you have to place your shots in certain spots so they roll to the right place meaning you need exceptional distance control and traj/spin control ... Rory has a lot of short wedges and does not appear to have mastered the control he needs with them.

TS3 Smoke 70g (S Flex)
    913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
    915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
    712 U 4 Iron | 714 AP2 5 Iron
    714CB 5-6
    718MB 7-PW 
    Vokey 50, 55, 60 
    SC Newport 2.5
  • MilkyButterCutsMilkyButterCuts Members Posts: 848 ✭✭

@RuffingIt said:
    meh...Rory no longer moves the needle for me. And it's not because Tiger is back in the spotlight. Something between the ears in him doesn't jive with me anymore like i remember when he went on a tear in 2014. There was definite fire in his eyes back then. He even admitted that golf isn't as fun anymore, and is more of a business than a game (or some form of that idea). Sponsor obligations, press tours, merch promo appearances, yada yada yada...too much of the business i think killed his enjoyment of the game. Then you add the Master's **** every year, and tries to down-play the importance. When the pieces don't fall his way on Masters week, he waits a whole another year for another chance...and in the meantime, the rest of the year it feels like he's just going through the motions.

For me it started when he said that **** about the Olympics.

• gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,322 ✭✭

I was quite surprised that Rory hit 3-wood off the tee on 2 both Saturday and Sunday. That's a hole that he should hit driver and then a second shot close to, or on, the green. He looked out of sorts there. It happens.

I also think that he could use a caddy who would kick him in the rear end from time to time.

On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • ldchristopherldchristopher Members Posts: 915 ✭✭

A guy who can’t consistently putt is never winning the Masters. Rory needs to change up his putting stroke or use an arm lock or something. Also, his wedge game isn’t strong at all. Two of the biggest big keys to winning at ANGC are his two weakest points.

Driver: Titleist 917 D2 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Max 65 stiff
    3 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 15° w/ Aldila Rogue Black 80 stiff
    5 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 18˚ w/ Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 80 extra stiff
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H 21˚ w/ Aldila Rogue Max 85 stiff
    Irons: Titleist 712U (4) Cobra King CB (5-6)/MB (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 120 stiff
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey Cold Forged 52°/8° 58°/10°
    Putter: Piretti Cottonwood II w/ black onyx finish
  • airjammerairjammer Members Posts: 987 ✭✭

@ldchristopher said:
    A guy who can’t consistently putt is never winning the Masters. Rory needs to change up his putting stroke or use an arm lock or something. Also, his wedge game isn’t strong at all. Two of the biggest big keys to winning at ANGC are his two weakest points.

Couples and Sergio won it and was never known as a great putters just to name two.

He’ll win it when he finally thinks he can’t ala Sergio.

• Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members Posts: 493 ✭✭

@gvogel said:
    I was quite surprised that Rory hit 3-wood off the tee on 2 both Saturday and Sunday. That's a hole that he should hit driver and then a second shot close to, or on, the green. He looked out of sorts there. It happens.

** I also think that he could use a caddy who would kick him in the rear end from time to time**.

I agree, but Rory obviously doesn't. I'd think JP Fitz also agrees.

• anthanth From the Land Down Under Members Posts: 2,773 ✭✭

@airjammer said:

@ldchristopher said:

Couples and Sergio won it and was never known as a great putters just to name two.

He’ll win it when he finally thinks he can’t ala Sergio.

Adam Scott, Vijay. Don’t think Bubba is a great putter...

Callaway Rogue 10.5
    Callaway BB Alpha 816 16
    Srixon Z H45 19 Hybrid
    Srixon Z U45 23 Utility
    Srixon Z 765/965 5 - PW
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 50 & 54
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi Toe 58
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
    TaylorMade TP5