Least offset, one piece forged, players cb...what are the options?

wam78wam78 Members Posts: 281 ✭✭

I struggle with offset, especially in the higher lofted irons as I tend to have a very high ball flight. Which I love, but it can be difficult at times here in Dallas. Did a search but only found minimal information, most of which dating back to 2007 on the forum. Any insight would be appreciated. Product could date back a couple of cycles, does not have to be new. What is out there? Thanks in advance!

Driver: Bridgestone j715 B5 9* GD Tour AD MJ 6s
Fairway: 816 Alpha 15* GD Tour AD MJ 7s
Fairway: 816 Alpha 18* Fubuki zt 70s
OR
Driving Iron: Mizuno MP H5 2i GD Tour AD 95s Utility Shaft
Irons: 4-pw Bridgestone Tour B X-CB Modus 120s
Wedges: Bridgestone j15 51* Modus 120s, 55* Modus 125 wedge, j40 60* Modus 125 wedge
Putter: Bettinardi bb32 *2010 model
Tagged:

Comments

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,173 ✭✭

My Miura forged have to my eye what seems to be virtually no offset.

WITB
    DRIVER MIA
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge (Hi Toe 58 KBS Wedge in test)
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members Posts: 3,023 ✭✭

TaylorMade MC Onset
    Tourstage MR23
    Cobra King Tour Forged

Callaway Gbb Epic Forged 9.5°
    TM M2 DF 16.5° 
    Honma TW737 FWc 21° 
    TM RSI UDI 3 
    TM 2011 MC Onset 4-PW
    Cobra King Pur 54°/ Vokey Proto 60°
    TW Ardmore
  • Armypilot84Armypilot84 Members Posts: 1,577 ✭✭

It really depends on how deep of a cavity you are looking for. If you want something that gives just a little bit more help than a true blade iron then I would say the Mizuno JPX 900 tours are the way to go. They are a true "Players Iron". I have a set 4-PW. I have never looked up the true specs on them but if that 4 & 5 have any more offset than traditional blades I would be shocked.
    If you want something with a true pocket cavity then I would suggest any of the Titleist CB sets, Apex Forged Pro, or if you really want to save some dough; go out and get probably the greatest players cavity-back irons ever made in my opinion: the Mizuno MP-53's. I am actually back to bagging my set right now. I just can't find anything better for me.

Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana D+
    Bio Cell + 5-7
    MP 53 4-PW
    Edel 58*
    Ping TR 1966 Anser
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,028 ✭✭

Vega VDC-01 . Black finish is my preference. Easily the #1 overlooked CB iron on earth. And I rank it as the best one I’ve ever hit. Soft , low to no offeset and forgiving. But yet a sole that cuts.

TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • shankeyshankey Members Posts: 30 ✭✭

Bridgestone j40 cb.......................end of story

Titleist 917 D2 , F2
    Srixon z U65 3
    Bridgestone combo j40 dpc/cb
    Titleist vokey SM5 52,56,60
    Sc studio stainless Newport 2

• BigmeanBigmean Everything is Relative Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭

@bladehunter said:
    Vega VDC-01 . Black finish is my preference. Easily the #1 overlooked CB iron on earth. And I rank it as the best one I’ve ever hit. Soft , low to no offeset and forgiving. But yet a sole that cuts.

Are you still playing those? I keep looking for a cb set and really availability/price (go hand in hand) have been what has stopped me from trying these. I have wanted to for years.
    Loved my raf cm blades save for some nitpicks and thinking at time that was easily replaced with other jdm sets......

Ryoma Maxima 9.5*/Quadra Fire Express
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Roddio 21* hybrid/Tour AD DI75
    Miura 1957 small blades/Nippon 1150 tours
    Wilson Staff V4 tour modus 130
    Mizuno MP-14/DG300-raw finish
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
    Gold's Factory custom original flat-stick amongst a couple dozen others.
  • kiw1982kiw1982 Members Posts: 1,173 ✭✭

j40 gets my vote too.

Mizuno        ST-180 Driver w/KuroKage HBP 50 S+
    Taylormade  M6 3 Wood w/NV 2KXV Blue 75 S+
    Mizuno        CLK 3 Hybrid w/Tensei CK Blue HY 80 S+(P790 UDI is sitting on the bench)
    Taylormade  P790 4-G Irons w/KBS tour S+
    Mizuno        T7 56/10 Wedge w/KBS tour S+
    Mizuno        S18 60/06 Wedge w/KBS tour S+
    Odyssey      O-Works 1WS Putter
  • SurfDaddySurfDaddy Members Posts: 46 ✭✭

FWIW -- The Mizuno JPX tours have progressive offsets starting at 0.161 on the 4I to 0.102 on the PW. If you dare to be different I recommend the forged Maltby PTM, a very soft cavity back with less offset than Mizuno (0.120 to 0.90) or the smaller head forged TE, which is 0.100 on all clubs.

• seve1972seve1972 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭

It would be nice if we could insert the persons handicap of the "profile" to the left........could help to determine the kind of player that is buying what and their ability (not to offend).

• Twin2LTwin2L Members Posts: 53 ✭✭

Wishon 575MMC is a very nice cavity back or muscle back model. Classic look, minimal offset and excellent forged heads.

It matters not what others call you. Only what you answer to defines who you are.
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 8,929 ✭✭

Very best option Cobra King CB, amazing shape. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,178 ClubWRX

@SurfDaddy said:
    FWIW -- The Mizuno JPX tours have progressive offsets starting at 0.161 on the 4I to 0.102 on the PW. If you dare to be different I recommend the forged Maltby PTM, a very soft cavity back with less offset than Mizuno (0.120 to 0.90) or the smaller head forged TE, which is 0.100 on all clubs.

Don’t know how low you want to go with offset, but the 919 Tours have even less in the long and mid irons, from .126 offset in the 4 to .102 in the PW.

Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches

@seve1972 said:
    It would be nice if we could insert the persons handicap of the "profile" to the left........could help to determine the kind of player that is buying what and their ability (not to offend).

Steve ,

Handicap rarely matters to club choice. Low guys play fat irons and high caps play ap2. And that’s fine.

@Bigmean said:

@bladehunter said:

Are you still playing those? I keep looking for a cb set and really availability/price (go hand in hand) have been what has stopped me from trying these. I have wanted to for years.
    Loved my raf cm blades save for some nitpicks and thinking at time that was easily replaced with other jdm sets......

Nope. But I may know where they are.

Never happy. You knew how it is. Been waiting for an mb that clicked my trigger for a year. Been playing the old titleist 681 protos for a couple weeks again. Played the ping i500 all winter. Why ? For kicks I guess. Scores average didn’t move. I’ve had some really low rounds with them. But I also have plenty of 3-4 over 9 hole stints that keep my scoring average around 74-75 . Sounds ok until you look at The their stats. Averaging 13 greens a round and 3.8 birdies a round. 75 sucks with those stats. Lol Just don’t get the ball in the hole sometimes.

• wam78wam78 Members Posts: 281 ✭✭

@Big Ben said:
    Very best option Cobra King CB, amazing shape. BB

BB--funny you mention the cobra's as that is one of the first sets that came to mind. Was going to send you a message about your thoughts on the entire cb set. I think they have an amazing shape. I'm struggling to pull the trigger on the black club heads though. Would it be possible to send some pics of 8-pw on the cobras? Can only see and hit the 6 or 7 iron locally.

Really appreciate everyone's feedback. Love the feel of what I am playing now, but the 8-pw just seems more lofted than it actually is. As previously mentioned, I have a high ball flight as it is.

Driver: Bridgestone j715 B5 9* GD Tour AD MJ 6s
    Fairway: 816 Alpha 15* GD Tour AD MJ 7s
    Fairway: 816 Alpha 18* Fubuki zt 70s
    OR
    Driving Iron: Mizuno MP H5 2i GD Tour AD 95s Utility Shaft
    Irons: 4-pw Bridgestone Tour B X-CB Modus 120s
    Wedges: Bridgestone j15 51* Modus 120s, 55* Modus 125 wedge, j40 60* Modus 125 wedge
    Putter: Bettinardi bb32 *2010 model
  • GehlyGehly ClubWRX Posts: 1,977 ClubWRX

Miura Passing Point Straight Necks?

• BigmeanBigmean Everything is Relative Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭
    edited Apr 17, 2019 10:51pm #18

Yeah, I know how that goes BH.......The search is infinite, nothing changes the bottom line, but you get those itches...hey if you weren't on tv last weekend then it's a hobby, and if you were on tv you would play what pays you the most and you get along with....

For sommething pretty fogiving and crazy soft/solid good feeling and low offset players vibe at address, Try ebay for some JDM prgr ID BL irons, they float around in USA, my old ones are out there someplace.... They look ugly from the back, but the head is great and you can probably get them super cheap. Most wouldn't buy them out of looks but it is a cheap experiment and you would be hard pressed to find a better low offset awesome forged club for the money. I would take them over ANY CB on the racks of a PGA superstore right now.

Ryoma Maxima 9.5*/Quadra Fire Express
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Roddio 21* hybrid/Tour AD DI75
    Miura 1957 small blades/Nippon 1150 tours
    Wilson Staff V4 tour modus 130
    Mizuno MP-14/DG300-raw finish
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
    Gold's Factory custom original flat-stick amongst a couple dozen others.
  • YuckYuck Fore! Members Posts: 2,446 ✭✭

Another vote for J40 cb