Nippon Modus 105 s

kcd38 ·  
kcd38kcd38  419WRX Points: 133Members Posts: 419 Greens

I found a nice used set of Ping i210's with Nippon Modus 105 s shafts and wanted to see if any of you had experience using this shaft. Currently using C Tapers so I know it may be a big difference but definitely need more height with my irons.

Posted:
Driver - PING G400 LST 8.5, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0
3 Wood - PING G400 14.5, AD Di 6s
Hybrid - Ping G410 19 degree, Tour AD DI 95x Hybrid 
4-PW - Mizuno JPX 919 Tour PW-6, 919 Forged 5 iron, 919 Hot Metal Pro 5 iron, all with Modus Nippon3 120s
Wedges - Vokey SM7 50F, 55F, 60 D 
Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black

Comments

• Stuart_GStuart_G New Hampshire 24578WRX Points: 1,304Members Posts: 24,578 Titanium Tees

Yes, a very different shaft, both lighter and softer. Have you spent any time demo'ing or testing lighter shafts? Weight is usually the bigger concern.

Both could potentially help give you more dynamic loft at impact - but no telling what it might do to other aspects of your swing (good or bad or neutral) like tempo, rhythm, sequencing, release timing, consistency, accuracy, etc... Both weight and stiffness feel can potentially effect many aspects of your swing.

Posted:
    Post edited by Stuart_G on
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • BeconBecon  52WRX Points: 49Members Posts: 52 Bunkers

I love the modus 105. I played DG for going on 20 years. I wanted lighter shafts. I've tried c taper lite and dg 105. Both felt very boardy. A shaft profile you like at 130g may feel completely different at 105g. My uneducated guess: less material to soak up vibration. The modus 105 and PX LZ are my two favorite lighter options.

Posted:
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, Florida 2415WRX Points: 653Handicap: 0.9Members Posts: 2,415 Platinum Tees

On -, @kcd38 said:

I found a nice used set of Ping i210's with Nippon Modus 105 s shafts and wanted to see if any of you had experience using this shaft. Currently using C Tapers so I know it may be a big difference but definitely need more height with my irons.

I am a Modus fanboy, but the 120S is just everything I want a shaft to be in terms of feel and performance. I have never really got on with the 105S, but it is preferable to the 130 which I was hoping to perform better.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus w/Tensei Orange
    3 Wood: Titleist TS2 w/HZRDUS Smoke
    Hybrid: Titleist 718 H2 w/Atmos Blue TS 
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and 58
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Bridgestone XS
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm  2564WRX Points: 924Members Posts: 2,564 Titanium Tees

I play the 105 S, excellent shaft.

Posted:

President of ShaftHos Anonymous

Epic Flash / Apex 19 / Apex + Pro / MD4 / Spider . || . ATMOS TS / Kai'li / Pro 2.0 / Elevate Tour

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16  8922WRX Points: 1,202Members Posts: 8,922 Titanium Tees

On -, @kcd38 said:

If you were fit into C Tapers then keep them and up your loft a degree or even 2 on all clubs. Not that it can't happen, but going from pretty stiff 120g shafts to relatively less stiff 105g shafts isn't likely to produce solid results. Generally speaking, CTapers are for guys with much more aggressive, loading swings. Something like modus 105 would be for much more smooth and less aggressive tempos. I've even found that I can produce the opposite results as intended, where I will launch a shaft like modus 105 lower than C taper, because C Taper feels much stiffer and I try to "help" it in the air a little more.

The best and most reliable way to change your flight on any club really is loft and then next would be club head design (different CG locations will impact launch and spin characteristics). You could try modus 120 shafts... but generally speaking it's much more expensive and time consuming to try out all new shafts than it is to change lofts. One quick way is to maybe find a PGATSS or Golf Galaxy and bring your current iron, then try a demo iron with identical loft with other shafts in it.

Posted:
    D - Epic SZ | Tour Z Xtreme 465
    3w - '16 Tour Issue M1 (16.5*) | Diamana B 70
    5w - '17 M1 | Tensei Pro Blue 70
    4h - 818H1 | Tensei Pro White 90
    Irons - P760 5-PW | Modus 120
    GW - Glide 3.0 50/12 | S400 Tour Issue
    SW - Glide 3.0 54/12| S400 Tour Issue
    LW - Glide 3.0 58/10 | S400 Tour Issue
    P - Custom EVNROLL ER5
    Ball - Bridgestone BXS

• puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ Florida 5392WRX Points: 475Handicap: 4Members Posts: 5,392 Titanium Tees

Like this shaft, great rounds with these. Coming from DG 300 S, weight difference was easy to adjust to.

Posted:

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • sambodoorssambodoors  94WRX Points: 46Members Posts: 94 Fairways

I have the modus 105 regular that came with my 919hm's. I love the feel of them. Pretty soft and definitely light which I feel suits my swing.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10.5º | Tour AD DJ-6s
    Cobra F8 3-4 FWY | Adila NV 2KXV Blue 70
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i | Tour AD-95s 
    Srixon z785 4-GW | Modus3 120s
    Scratch 8620 52º, 56º, 60º | DG S300
    Artisan 0318

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.