Nippon Modus 105 s

kcd38kcd38 Members Posts: 270 ClubWRX

I found a nice used set of Ping i210's with Nippon Modus 105 s shafts and wanted to see if any of you had experience using this shaft. Currently using C Tapers so I know it may be a big difference but definitely need more height with my irons.

WITB:
Driver - PING G400 LST 8.5, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0
3 Wood - PING G400 14.5, Ping Tour 75 S
Hybrid - Ping G410 19 degree, Tensei CK Blue 80 HY or Taylormade P790 UDI, HZRDUS Black 6.0
4-PW - Mizuno MP 18 MMC 4 iron, Mizuno MP 18 SC 5-PW, KBS C Taper 130 x
Wedges - Vokey SM7 52 F, 56 F, 60 D (bent to 51, 55)
Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black

Comments

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,876 ✭✭
    edited Apr 17, 2019 3:10pm #2

Yes, a very different shaft, both lighter and softer. Have you spent any time demo'ing or testing lighter shafts? Weight is usually the bigger concern.

Both could potentially help give you more dynamic loft at impact - but no telling what it might do to other aspects of your swing (good or bad or neutral) like tempo, rhythm, sequencing, release timing, consistency, accuracy, etc... Both weight and stiffness feel can potentially effect many aspects of your swing.

Post edited by Stuart_G on
  • BeconBecon Members Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited Apr 17, 2019 3:09pm #3

I love the modus 105. I played DG for going on 20 years. I wanted lighter shafts. I've tried c taper lite and dg 105. Both felt very boardy. A shaft profile you like at 130g may feel completely different at 105g. My uneducated guess: less material to soak up vibration. The modus 105 and PX LZ are my two favorite lighter options.

• GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,639 ✭✭

@kcd38 said:
    I found a nice used set of Ping i210's with Nippon Modus 105 s shafts and wanted to see if any of you had experience using this shaft. Currently using C Tapers so I know it may be a big difference but definitely need more height with my irons.

I am a Modus fanboy, but the 120S is just everything I want a shaft to be in terms of feel and performance. I have never really got on with the 105S, but it is preferable to the 130 which I was hoping to perform better.

Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,405 ✭✭

I play the 105 S, excellent shaft.

Long Live Nike
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,173 ✭✭

@kcd38 said:

If you were fit into C Tapers then keep them and up your loft a degree or even 2 on all clubs. Not that it can't happen, but going from pretty stiff 120g shafts to relatively less stiff 105g shafts isn't likely to produce solid results. Generally speaking, CTapers are for guys with much more aggressive, loading swings. Something like modus 105 would be for much more smooth and less aggressive tempos. I've even found that I can produce the opposite results as intended, where I will launch a shaft like modus 105 lower than C taper, because C Taper feels much stiffer and I try to "help" it in the air a little more.

The best and most reliable way to change your flight on any club really is loft and then next would be club head design (different CG locations will impact launch and spin characteristics). You could try modus 120 shafts... but generally speaking it's much more expensive and time consuming to try out all new shafts than it is to change lofts. One quick way is to maybe find a PGATSS or Golf Galaxy and bring your current iron, then try a demo iron with identical loft with other shafts in it.

WITB
    DRIVER MIA
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge (Hi Toe 58 KBS Wedge in test)
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Members Posts: 5,033 ✭✭

Like this shaft, great rounds with these. Coming from DG 300 S, weight difference was easy to adjust to.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....
  • sambodoorssambodoors Members Posts: 65 ✭✭

I have the modus 105 regular that came with my 919hm's. I love the feel of them. Pretty soft and definitely light which I feel suits my swing.

Diablo Octane 9.5º
    Cobra F8 3-4 FWY | Adila NV 2KXV Blue 70
    TM JetSpeed Rescue 3H
    JPX 919 HM 4-GW | Modus3 105
    Scratch 8620 52º, 58º | S300
    Miura KM-005