Removing heads when travel?

juniorgolf18juniorgolf18 Members Posts: 436 ✭✭

Who does this? Have done this a few times but always wonder if you get it back on just right or if every time you take off and put it back on it’s a fraction off. Wondering if better just to leave on and roll with it.

Comments

• coreyhrcoreyhr Lafferty, Daniel Members Posts: 413 ✭✭

How would you not be able to get it back on the same as you when you took the head off? Sounds like you're overthinking this one. I could see where MAYBE the face angle, loft, etc could vary very fractionally with an adapter that has movable cogs. But even then that would be a huge stretch to think it would have any effect on the club's performance. Even the best players in the world wouldn't notice a difference. I always remove driver and fairway heads that have adapters when flying.

Callaway Epic TC...L  9* - Tour AD TP 6s 
    Callaway XR Pro TC 14* - Diamana D+ Limited 80s
    Callaway XR Pro TC 18* Hybrid - Tour AD DI 95x
    Srixon Z545 4 Iron - Steelfiber i110s
    Srixon Z745 5-PW - KBS Tour 120s
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50*
    Scratch 56* & 60* - Black KBS Tour Custom
    Odyssey O-Works Red V-Line Fang CH

The sea was angry that day, my friends.
  • dmac4gdmac4g Members Posts: 1,244 ✭✭

I always remove the heads and out the shafts in the bag with the adaptor down. Have never had an issue. I think you are overthinking the changes that could occur.

• indianalawnguyindianalawnguy Members Posts: 409 ✭✭

Are you talking about pulling all of the shafts and gluing them back in when you get to your destination?
    Hopefully you are just talking about clubs that use an adapter tip and wrench, but it kind of sounds like you mean the entire set?

• gsrjcgsrjc TOC Members Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited Apr 17, 2019 10:48pm #5

I do this all the time when I fly. I take my driver head with me in a backpack as a carry on but my two hybrids i leave in my golf bag. I think use beach towels to wrap the irons and three shafts I have with the putter. My golf bag basically looks like a cocoon. Then I put my golf clothes into smaller bags and use those as further padding. I use a bag boy travel bag. Also don’t forget the extender to keep the top of the travel bag from bending over.

Post edited by gsrjc on
  • halliedoghalliedog Members Posts: 2,292 ✭✭

Are you the same guy who asked a few months ago about taking his ClickGear on as Carry-On? You can for sure remove the heads and carry them on or put them in a well padded suitcase, but what is most likely to be damaged by having other luggage thrown on it - a titanium club head or a graphite shaft?

WITB:
    Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
    Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
    TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
    TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
    TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank
  • halliedoghalliedog Members Posts: 2,292 ✭✭

@gsrjc said:
    I do this all the time when I fly. I take my driver head with me in a backpack as a carry on but my two hybrids i leave in my golf bag. I think use beach towels to wrap the irons and three shafts I have with the putter. My golf bag basically looks like a cocoon. Then I put my golf clothes into smaller bags and use those as further padding. I use a bag boy travel bag. Also don’t forget the extender to keep the top of the travel bag from bending over.

Why not just pack some of your cloths in the bag to "cocoon" your shafts? Leaves more room in the golf bag on the return trip for those free blue-striped towels they give out at most hotel gyms/pools?

WITB:
    Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
    Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
    TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
    TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
    TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,156 ✭✭

lol this cant be a real question

• Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,156 ✭✭

@halliedog said:
    Are you the same guy who asked a few months ago about taking his ClickGear on as Carry-On? You can for sure remove the heads and carry them on or put them in a well padded suitcase, but what is most likely to be damaged by having other luggage thrown on it - a titanium club head or a graphite shaft?

I put all my woods heads in a pelican case. Had the foam laser cut to fit each one perfectly and then have that lined with pure cashmere such that there isnt any risk to scratch them.

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,173 ✭✭

@halliedog said:

I don't think he is (maybe but I didn't look too hard) but he LITERALLY asked almost the exact same question almost 2 years ago lol
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1492004/traveling#latest

Guess he has a bad experience or something?

OP get a solid travel back, keep the head covers on and wrap towels all up in that ****. You'll be fine. I personally take mine off but I also don't care about the chance that my face is possibly .015 degrees more closed than it was before that.

WITB
    DRIVER MIA
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge (Hi Toe 58 KBS Wedge in test)
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• ckayckay Members Posts: 3,868 ✭✭

I stop by the tour truck and have a set built for me when I land.

Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • TroutflyTroutfly Members Posts: 234 ✭✭

Always...

@Z1ggy16 said:
    OP get a solid travel back, keep the head covers on and wrap towels all up in that ****. You'll be fine. I personally take mine off but I also don't care about the chance that my face is possibly .015 degrees more closed than it was before that.

Just returned from a trip, had irons wrapped this way. Arrived and opened up, found TSA had searched my bag and unwrapped. 10 minutes of my life I will never get back.....

• kiwiikiwii Members Posts: 701 ✭✭

The difference is all in your head. Pun intended.

On a more serious note, sometimes people forget their settings when taking it off and putting it back on. But if you are using the same settings it will be the same. All the adaptors out there solid. They are designed to interlock with each other. So when you put it into a setting it is securely in that setting and not loosely turning one way or another

'17 M1 460 9.5/ Rogue Silver
    XR '14 Pro/ PX LZ
    Adams 9031 18°/ Diamana WB
    716 AP24-pw/DG AMT S300
    '14 TM TP 52/56/60
    2014 Squareback/ Lamkin DE + 2 wraps
    Ogio Ozone, TM targa tour
    Tour Boost 360
    TM TP5/ Srixon Zstar XV
  • indianalawnguyindianalawnguy Members Posts: 409 ✭✭

@jut111 said:

@indianalawnguy said:
    Are you talking about pulling all of the shafts and gluing them back in when you get to your destination?
    Hopefully you are just talking about clubs that use an adapter tip and wrench, but it kind of sounds like you mean the entire set?

Every real golfer travels with a blow torch and epoxy. Cmon now.....

I kind of thought that it was a given that everyone took adjustable driver and fairway heads off when flying? I admit i have been in a hurry and not done it, but drivers with adapters have been around 15+ years.
    OP just said heads.... To me that means every club in my bag!

• dbdorsdbdors Houston, Clear Lake areaClubWRX Posts: 1,734 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 18, 2019 1:44pm #16

@kiwii said:
    ...... On a more serious note, sometimes people forget their settings when taking it off and putting it back on. But if you are using the same settings it will be the same. All the adaptors out there solid. They are designed to interlock with each other. So when you put it into a setting it is securely in that setting and not loosely turning one way or another

This is true, especially for the Callaway Optifit. I just got a new Rogue Sub Zero (my first Callaway driver, or Optifit product) and traveled with it for the first time a few weeks ago. I took a picture of my setting before I took it off and keep it on my phone. With others I have used like Ping and TM, if you forget I just look at my grip alignment to make sure. But with the Optifit, the grip can be lined up properly for different settings (which I like).
    And yes, take the heads off, its just extra insurance.

Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6, stiff: TM M5, 13*, Diamana Thump 75, stiff
    Hybrids: TEE CBX 3H (20d), 4H (22d), Kuro Kage Silver Hybrid 80, stiff
    Irons: TM M6, 5-GW, Accra 80i, stiff
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 54* (bent to 55*), 60*, Accra 80i, stiff
    Putter: Evnroll ER1.2 355g, 33", SS Counter Core Mid Slim 2.0
    Ball: Wilson Duo Professional in green & yellow
    Bag/Cart: '18 Ping Hoofer/Clicgear 3.5+
    Accessories: Garmin G8/Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Posts: 370 ✭✭
    edited Apr 18, 2019 2:11pm #17

Driver head off, and in the carry-on bag.

The rest of the clubs are all inserted clubheads down into the bag - a huge advantage of having fewer dividers. Hybrids have a sock on them. In addition to being better protected when clubheads are inside the bag, is the weight balance of the travel bag is enormously better for wheeling around because it's much less top-heavy. Top it all off with a sawed off hockey stick with tennis balls as an unbreakable stiff arm. For a soft-sided travel bag, this is as bombproof as I can make it for travel.

• FlyingLaw1FlyingLaw1 Members Posts: 775 ✭✭

I've traveled quite a bit with my clubs and have never bothered to take any of the wood heads off. I have a hard travel case and my bag fits in it so snug I can't imagine it ever moving enough to break anything. I add a few towels to either end and around the club heads. Never had a problem.

GO DAWGS
  • Xdmike20Xdmike20 Members Posts: 51 ✭✭

@ckay said:
    I stop by the tour truck and have a set built for me when I land.

I thought that's what everybody did? Have I been doing it wrong all these years?! I could have saved thousands

DRIVER- Cobra LTD (Ozik Black Tie)[/font][/color]
    3 WOOD- Cobra Fly-Z (Ozik White Tie)[/font][/color]
    HYBRID- Cobra Bio Cell (19* Project X)[/font][/color]
    IRONS- Cobra Pro CB 2008 (Soft stepped PX6.0)[/font][/color]
    GAP- Vokey SM4 50*[/font][/color]
    SAND- Vokey SM5 54* S grind[/font][/color]
    LOB- Vokey SM5 58* S grind[/font][/color]
    PUTTER- Odyssey O-works 1W red[/font][/color]
    BALL- Nike RZN Tour Platinum(until my stash is gone)[/font][/color]