2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Any love for Laddie X? U-Tri Tour?

Freddy300

Laddie X versus Precept U-Tri Tour. Both on sale at TGT
I used a Laddie X today and increased the distance on my drives and was a lot straighter. I improved the plane on my driver swing too so my driving has improved about 50%. I don't think I had any balloon slices or fades either. I was in the short grass or close in the rough due to trying to cut corners on doglegs. The mid-irons & FW worked very well too.

The negatives is they are a just a little heavy on the putter and not sure how well them spin off the wedges. Note that I have crappy wedges and reviewers on GolfReview say the Laddie X spins well and putts well.

The U-Tri Tour is onsale at Target for $19.79 a dozen and the Laddie X is $16.89 for 24. The sale is over on 7/7.

I wonder if the U-Tri is as straight and long? I heard it spins and putts well. I think I need to get in the 80s before I move to the U-Tri. I may not be good enough yet???

I need the straight and long drives of the Laddie X. Not sure??? Any suggestions?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Utri tour is one of the most under-rated balls of all time....They do everything a Pro V1 does for me at a fraction of the price and last longer as well....I'm still bummed that they stopped producing them....

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

i'm of the opinion that you get a ball based upon its short game performance. i believe that if a ball gives you more control in the short game, you'll score better, even if your drives aren't quite as long or straight. i'm not a very accurate or long driver, but i use premium balls because i'm pretty decent with my scoring clubs (8i, 9i, and various wedges, i have a bunch). i'm always trying to get up and down, so short game performance is big for me.

I have been playing the Laddie X for over a year now. Only thing it doesn't do well is stop on wedge shots. They sound a little "clickier" than either the NXT Tour or the U-Tri Tour off the putter, but they putt well. I like the spin and feeling of the U-Tri Tour or NXT Tour around the green. The U-Tri is about as long as the Laddie X, just has a softer feel all around and better spin around the green.

Love the U-Tri. Hard to tell them from many of the premium balls on the market today. Target stores in Louisville, KY. had them marked down to $9.99 a dozen earlier this year. Had to go to 3 different stores to get as many as I could. Ended up with 17 dozen.

Will be a long, long, long time before I buy anymore golf balls.

Love the U-Tri. Hard to tell them from many of the premium balls on the market today. Target stores in Louisville, KY. had them marked down to $9.99 a dozen earlier this year. Had to go to 3 different stores to get as many as I could. Ended up with 17 dozen.

Will be a long, long, long time before I buy anymore golf balls.

WOW! I love those TGT clearences. I go in there once a week looking for bargains. They have them on sale now for $19.79 for a dozen and $16.89 for 24 Laddie X's.

I like the Laddie X because it is straight and long. Irons are good. Wedges seem okay and same with putting. My game is improving and was wondering if I should upgrades to the U-Tri.

I have been playing the Laddie X for over a year now. Only thing it doesn't do well is stop on wedge shots. They sound a little "clickier" than either the NXT Tour or the U-Tri Tour off the putter, but they putt well. I like the spin and feeling of the U-Tri Tour or NXT Tour around the green. The U-Tri is about as long as the Laddie X, just has a softer feel all around and better spin around the green.

I improved my plane on my driver swing so I have reduced the slices and balloon slices. I think the Laddie X also helped get me straighter and it sure is long.

I am wondering if I am ready to move up to the U-Tri or stay with the Laddie X.

Franc, all you can do is try them and see if they work for you. I always keep some Laddie X's in the bag because early in the season I don't trust my swing to keep from spraying them around the course. Much less worried about losing a Laddie. Thanks for the tip on the U-Tri's at Target. They are $19.79 here too. I was nice and left one dozen for someone else......

Franc, all you can do is try them and see if they work for you. I always keep some Laddie X's in the bag because early in the season I don't trust my swing to keep from spraying them around the course. Much less worried about losing a Laddie. Thanks for the tip on the U-Tri's at Target. They are $19.79 here too. I was nice and left one dozen for someone else......

Thanks. I have been trying Top Flite D2 Straight, Noddle + and Pinnacle Platinum Distance (which is supposedly straight & is pretty good). I bought the D2's but found the others. I have a big bucket of good condition found balls from the local course including more than a few Titlesist.

The Titi guys hit em, lose em in the rough or bushes and move on I guess. They are great off the irons, wedges and putters but my driving is not there yet but getting better.

The Laddie X seems to be the best choice for me so far.

I have so many balls but I guess I will go to TGT and buy a dozen U-Tri's and the Laddie X 2-dozen pack. I think I will have enough balls for a lifetime then. :drinks: I can try the U-Tri's. Maybe I can keep working to improve with teh Laddie X then transition to the U-Tris.

The Laddie X last week gave me my best drive so far on a long par 4 dogleg. The ball is pretty straight. It gave me motivation to swing my weighted club and work on my fitness.

Don't be afraid of playing the Laddie X because it's a "low cost" ball. It delivers plenty of bang for the buck. It doesn't matter what ball it is as long as you score well with it. I'd play it for an everyday ball no problem.

Divot:

Thanks. I played about 6 holes with it and was impressed. I did not hit many wedges shots and I had not conclusion on putting. The shots off the driver, FW and mid irons were very favorable.

How does it work for you with your wedges and putter? Do you see any difference with the U-Tri Tour?

I saw in the Golf Mag ball test earlier this year that the Noodle + was #2 at I think 256 yards but the Laddie X was about 6 or 7 on the list and only about 4 yards shorter. The Laddie X is long. Thanks again for yoru input.

Thanks. I have been trying Top Flite D2 Straight, Noddle + and Pinnacle Platinum Distance

I found a Pinnacle Platinum Feel on hole #2 today and it looked brand new so I figured I'd try it out. I was pleasantly surprised at how good a ball it was. I managed to chip/pitch 3 balls within 2 feet of the pin today (which is a miracle for me) and also had a few within 5 feet or so. Also managed to can a chip from about 25 feet with it. Overall a very good ball, I played about 14 holes with the same one, and it took a good bounce off a cart path on 17 before it really scuffed. I was also driving about 250+ with it, and for the most part they were all straight with the exception of a flier or two. great ball, can't say enough about how pleased I was with it today.

I will be buying some more of those :drinks:

I'll agree with sk373 on the wedges with the U-Tri Tour. I found the Laddie would release and roll quite a bit but the U-Tri will check up on the same wedge shot. Much more spin into the green. As I said earlier, off the putter the Laddie is a lot more on the firm feeling side and sounds "clickier". The U-Tri is very soft off the putter. Both balls roll very nicely on the green tho.

Thanks. I have been trying Top Flite D2 Straight, Noddle + and Pinnacle Platinum Distance

I found a Pinnacle Platinum Feel on hole #2 today and it looked brand new so I figured I'd try it out. I was pleasantly surprised at how good a ball it was. I managed to chip/pitch 3 balls within 2 feet of the pin today (which is a miracle for me) and also had a few within 5 feet or so. Also managed to can a chip from about 25 feet with it. Overall a very good ball, I played about 14 holes with the same one, and it took a good bounce off a cart path on 17 before it really scuffed. I was also driving about 250+ with it, and for the most part they were all straight with the exception of a flier or two. great ball, can't say enough about how pleased I was with it today.

I will be buying some more of those :drinks:

Cool. I found a Pinnacle Platinum Distance and played it for a few holes and then the Laddie X. I liked the Pinnacle too. It was pretty close to the Laddie X. How did the Feel putt? I have some Pinnacle Exceptions which is a good ball but I was hitting some ballooning slices but that was before I was getting my driver on plane. I was hitting down like an iron instead of "sweeping" the driver like a hockey or baseball swing.

I will have to check out the Feel.

A guy at Golfsmith who watched me swing a few drivers told me I was doing the same thing you've described. His words were that my "angle of attack was too steep." He told me to take the club back further inside, kinda like Tommy Armour III does I guess (keep the left arm right up against the body) and that would fix it. And the guy was right; it worked. Anyway, I'm going to try the Laddie X next time out myself; as a general rule, I really like Precept balls -- I love the Distance IQ 180. I also like Srixon's Trispeed and AD333 but they aren't as long as the Precepts and not quite as durable either.

A guy at Golfsmith who watched me swing a few drivers told me I was doing the same thing you've described. His words were that my "angle of attack was too steep." He told me to take the club back further inside, kinda like Tommy Armour III does I guess (keep the left arm right up against the body) and that would fix it. And the guy was right; it worked. Anyway, I'm going to try the Laddie X next time out myself; as a general rule, I really like Precept balls -- I love the Distance IQ 180. I also like Srixon's Trispeed and AD333 but they aren't as long as the Precepts and not quite as durable either.

My game is general is pretty good for a duffer but trying to get the driver on plane is tough. The 3 and 5 woods and irons seem to be fine.

When I go to the range if I get the driver swing right it just goes far (or at least far for me).

The Laddie X goes like a bomb. The Noddle + was ranked the second longest ball at like 256 or 258 yards in 2008 Golf Mag test. You will see the page in most golf stores by the balls. The Laddie X was 8th or so. It was only about a few yards shorter. The Noodle + is nice but the Laddie X seems more consistent for me so far.

I have not tried the Distance IQ 180. So many balls to try - so little time. :drinks:

Target has a sale on Laddie X and the Precept U-Tri Tour.

Snapped up 2 dozen Laddie X's at Target for $16.88. I may run in before Sat night to buy a dozen U-tri Tours for just under $20.

I have too many golf balls. I found 6 more good ones today at the course in the woods. :clapping: Most players are club hoes but I am lured to the woods if it looks like it is where slices can end up.

The Laddie X played well today. I got in 14 holes before the drizzle and threatening lightning. :-(

The best driving ball for me so far and I am still not on plane on all my drives. I was hitting probably 70 to 80% fairways. My getting on plane confidence is shaky so my downswing is lighter than it should be. When I feel okay and I am on plane the ball goes (for me).

Great on the irons & FWs, good on wedges and fine on the putter.

I will be buying some more of those :clapping:

Cool. I found a Pinnacle Platinum Distance and played it for a few holes and then the Laddie X. I liked the Pinnacle too. It was pretty close to the Laddie X. How did the Feel putt? I have some Pinnacle Exceptions which is a good ball but I was hitting some ballooning slices but that was before I was getting my driver on plane. I was hitting down like an iron instead of "sweeping" the driver like a hockey or baseball swing.

I will have to check out the Feel.

its a pretty decent ball off the putter, felt pretty soft. Can't really say much more than that as my putting has been god-awful as of late. It will stop on pitch shots though.

I love the U-tri tour. As everyone says, Pro V performance at 1/2 the price. I played this ball almost exclusively all of last year after seeing rankings rating it better than the Pro V for swing speeds closer to mine (versus that of a pro)

I've played the top 4 balls of my ball fitting this year against each other, playing as a single 2 balls at the course multiple times... For instance, Callaway v Nike, Nike v Taylormade, etc.. For me, the balls in contention were TaylorMade Black 08, Nike One Black 08, Callaway IX, and Bridgetone e6+. FWIW, I'm a high spin player ~13 HCP who struggles with distance and a slight fade, with driver swing speeds around 95 and irons in the mid-80's. I rely on my short game to score.

After extensive comparisons, I've settled on Taylormade Black when I need the distance, course is wet, etc... and have just recently decided to stay with the U-Tri tour for shorter courses and dry, fast conditions. In that group, the Nike One black is the closest to the Precept, but still short on feel and spin. The U-Tri is the only one where I can consistenly back the ball up on the green, or get it to stop when I've hit a little thin or a medium iron to a hard, fast green.

BTW, I put up the best score of my life on 9 holes this past Thursday with the U-Tri Tour. 38 par 36. 3 putted the last hole when I "went for" the birdie :)

Well, I decided to try the U-Tri out the other day, and I have to say the reviews are spot-on. These made the pinnacle I posted on earlier feel like a rock comparatively. Awesome ball, I played one of my best rounds with it, even like the high numbers they put on the ball like 33 or whatever else the ball might say.

I hit great drives with it, and also had my best day ever hitting the hybrids.. I don't know if maybe I just figured out how to hit them, or it was the ball.. or both. Whatever it was, I am happy with the U-tri and it will be my ball of choice from now on.. at less than $20 a box, you can't really beat them.

TRY THESE!!!

• 3 weeks later...